Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,637 members, 7,809,392 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:45 AM

Medical Doctor Needs Help!! - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Medical Doctor Needs Help!! (6642 Views)

A Nigerian Needs Help In Dallas Now. / Photo: Young Nigerian Medical Doctor Missing In Texas / Medical Doctor Seeks Advise! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Medical Doctor Needs Help!! by MSEdLAW(m): 4:16am On Apr 06, 2013
Helo, my fiancee is a medical doctor, currently doing her NYSC . She intends doing her residency outside the country. To give her career a boost.. Recently we were informed that trinidad and tobago.. Has a fairly good disposition in general terms towards Nigerian trained doctors.. Pls can anyone assist on how she can get a residency placement in TNT.. #spammers and fraudsters keep off thanks and God bless!

1 Like

Re: Medical Doctor Needs Help!! by snowdrops(m): 2:27am On Apr 07, 2013
There is no better place to do residency outside Nigeria than the US. It is adviseable to avoid the Carribeans. She might get a job but not a training post. She should apply for the USMLE then take things further.

6 Likes

Re: Medical Doctor Needs Help!! by MSEdLAW(m): 7:24am On Apr 07, 2013
snowdrops: There is no better place to do residency outside Nigeria than the US. It is adviseable to avoid the Carribeans. She might get a job but not a training post. She should apply for the USMLE then take things further.
Thanks a lot for the advice!! But she intends getting a good job in TNT whence she can apy for the usmle and proceed!! Here in naija.. The remuneration for doctors is so poor that she angst even thinking of working here!
Re: Medical Doctor Needs Help!! by snowdrops(m): 12:07pm On Apr 07, 2013
Good luck to her though. I am unsure of the specifics of applying to TNT. I do know there are several Naija docs there. Maybe you can also post this in the health section, so others could help.
Re: Medical Doctor Needs Help!! by winbyforce: 8:31am On Apr 10, 2013
No residency in TNT unless things have changed now.I have a doctor friend that worked for some years there while writing his USMLEs and he crossed over to the US when a got a residency training position. Maybe that's d way to go for ur madam.
Re: Medical Doctor Needs Help!! by Originalsly: 10:42pm On Apr 10, 2013
I am not sure but can find out about residency for you. There are a few US based teaching hospitals in the Caribbean and Trinidad is one of the leading medical centres so I guess there is certainly a good choice.
Re: Medical Doctor Needs Help!! by MSEdLAW(m): 3:45pm On May 03, 2013
Originalsly: I am not sure but can find out about residency for you. There are a few US based teaching hospitals in the Caribbean and Trinidad is one of the leading medical centres so I guess there is certainly a good choice.

Thnks a lot mate!! Please have u found out the names of the US based teaching. Hospitals .. She plans to travel by the end of this year..thanks again
Re: Medical Doctor Needs Help!! by tpia5: 5:41pm On May 03, 2013
MSEdLAW:
Thanks a lot for the advice!! But she intends getting a good job in TNT whence she can apy for the usmle and proceed!! Here in naija.. The remuneration for doctors is so poor that she angst even thinking of working here!

are these her words or yours?

if she refuses to work then is she planning on starting from scratch when she travels out?

with med school, you do use what you were taught, unlike most other non-professional disciplines?

what's wrong with her getting some experience while processing her visa?
Re: Medical Doctor Needs Help!! by MSEdLAW(m): 10:09pm On May 05, 2013
tpia@:

if she refuses to work then is she planning on starting from scratch when she travels out?

with med school, you do use what you were taught, unlike most other non-professional disciplines?

Thanks she is already doing some PP whilst she process her VISA but she scrutinizing the choice of possible countries she can go because of the restriction of residency in some subspecialties like paediatrics in those climes..
Re: Medical Doctor Needs Help!! by MSEdLAW(m): 10:10pm On May 05, 2013
tpia@:

Re: Medical Doctor Needs Help!! by ogbonoeba: 2:57pm On Jul 27, 2013
snowdrops: There is no better place to do residency outside Nigeria than the US. It is adviseable to avoid the Carribeans. She might get a job but not a training post. She should apply for the USMLE then take things further.

If you get trained in the USA and become board certified with some clinical work post-residency many doors will be open to you far and wide. When I graduated from anesthesiology residency and contacted recruiters, I had job offers from all over the USA, England and Australia. The Caribbean might be a step up from Naija, but shoot for America if you can.

3 Likes

Re: Medical Doctor Needs Help!! by Nobody: 8:55pm On Jul 27, 2013
Getting a residency post in the US is very difficult for FTD (foreign trained doctors) this days, had it been her speciality is in Family Medicine, then it might be a little bit easier.

I am not saying it is impossible, but she needs a lot of luck and the best grade she can attain in the USMLE exams... Although Job is readily available in the Caribbean, but it's not that different from Nigeria. (nothing much to learn)

SOURCE: My dad is a Doc. (US trained) And I have an uncle and a friend in the Caribbean Medical school too.
Re: Medical Doctor Needs Help!! by nero1990: 5:23pm On Sep 11, 2014
MSEdLAW: Helo, my fiancee is a medical doctor, currently doing her NYSC . She intends doing her residency outside the country. To give her career a boost.. Recently we were informed that trinidad and tobago.. Has a fairly good disposition in general terms towards Nigerian trained doctors.. Pls can anyone assist on how she can get a residency placement in TNT.. #spammers and fraudsters keep off thanks and God bless!

sir please how can I get employed in a hospital in Trinidad and Tobago.am a graduate from a Nigerian university
Re: Medical Doctor Needs Help!! by elobyobi: 6:24am On Mar 31, 2015
Hi, I'm also seeking advice on how to move my practice to Trinidad and Tobago.
Re: Medical Doctor Needs Help!! by jeakhator: 5:30pm On Feb 03, 2016
Goodday house. Thanks for the great info so far.Am a medical graduate from University of Benin in Nigeria. I have done my House job and am fully registered with the MDCN. Please how do i get a job in saudi arabia. Thanks for your
anticipated response.
Re: Medical Doctor Needs Help!! by silva701(m): 5:41am On Nov 30, 2016
I am a house officer. I have the intention to work in Saudi Arabia after my service to enable me raise some money and push my career. Is this possible? If it is, please how do I go about this. Thanks for ur anticipated response
Re: Medical Doctor Needs Help!! by benjola2222(m): 5:48am On Sep 13, 2018
The best place I know a medical doctor can do residency is in the United States, & getting a placement is not difficult, just make sure you do well in your exams. If you want to prepare for the exam, go to [url]usmle.com.ng[/url] If you want to register go to Online Services at [url]ecfmg.org[/url]

(1) (Reply)

How Much Does It Cost 2 Get An International Passport Dat Is Original / Ba Baggage Allowance / Directions To Igando

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.