Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,610 members, 7,809,234 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:15 AM

The Man Who Sued God - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / The Man Who Sued God (1507 Views)

Elderly Man Who Died Having Sex Remains Attached To Partner / Photos Of Bride Sued By Husband For Not Being Pretty Enough / Woman Sued Police For Shooting Her Dog 15 Times (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Man Who Sued God by Iyaniwura123: 3:26pm On Apr 07, 2013
You must have heard of all kinds of lawsuits. There was the Chinese man who sued his wife for being too ugly, and wait, he won $120,000. Oh, you are gasping yet? What of the student who dragged his teacher to court because the teacher woke him up for sleeping in class? Another classic lawsuit in terms of absurdity was the guy who slammed a $832 million lawsuit against Michael Jordan because Michael Jordan looked like him.

http://iyaniwura.com/the-man-who-sued-god/

But the fact is that all these lawsuits all pale in absurdity and sheer weirdness when you consider the case of an American senator who took the Almighty God to a court. It was back in 2008 when the Senator of Nebraska State in the United States, ERNIE CHAMBERS filed an unforgettable lawsuit against God. Now aged 75, and called the ‘angriest black man in Nebraska’, he is the longest serving senator in the history of the state. He follows no religion. His humourous lawsuit aside, he remains one of the best senators in America. He did not stop at just filing the suit, he sought a permanent injunction against what he called the harmful activities of God.

He was very specific: ”permanent injunction ordering Defendant (God) to cease certain harmful activities and the making of terroristic threats.” Ernie’s suit named the “harmful activities” as “fearsome floods, egregious earthquakes, horrendous hurricanes, terrifying tornados, and pestilential plagues…”

Well, the judge in charge of the case dismissed the case. Why? God has no address, and there was no way God would be properly served a notice. The Judge said: ”Given that this court finds that there can never be service effectuated on the named defendant this action will be dismissed with prejudice.” But Senator Chambers would have none of that. He fired back saying God already knows of the case since He is the All-Knowing. He retorted: ”The court itself acknowledges the existence of God. A consequence of that acknowledgement is a recognition of God’s omniscience … Since God knows everything, God has notice of this lawsuit.”

After some time, the Court considered proceeding with his case but the case was finally thrown out, with another Judge stating that there was no listed home address for the Almighty and He was not properly served. Senator Chambers filed for an appeal in November 2008, and a former senator, John De Camp and another Swedish lawyer volunteered to represent and defend God. In February 2009, the case came to an end when the Nebraska Court of Appeals dismissed the appeal, and that was the end of the lawsuit. Whew! God! Atimes, you just have to ask yourself what is law? And of course, what are lawsuits?

Well, just in case you are wondering, yes, there was a lawsuit back in 1971 when Satan was sued in Pennsylvania, USA. The plaintiff stated: ”Satan has on numerous occasions caused plaintiff misery and unwarranted threats, against the will of plaintiff, that Satan has placed deliberate obstacles in his path and has caused plaintiff’s downfall” and had therefore “deprived him of his constitutional rights”. Waow! I guess that’s a tip for those who will commit evil and blame it on the Devil. Come on, call your lawyer!

Thank you for your time.

Iyaniwura.

Re: The Man Who Sued God by Emmyk(m): 4:23pm On Apr 07, 2013
Obawayray.

1 Like

Re: The Man Who Sued God by Emmyk(m): 4:25pm On Apr 07, 2013
@Op, guess what? I scrolled through your post to make sure it's not bulky before I start reading. ThumbsUp. Heeheheh

1 Like

Re: The Man Who Sued God by Iyaniwura123: 4:35pm On Apr 07, 2013
LOL! Thanks for your time wink
Emmyk: @Op, guess what? I scrolled through your post to make sure it's not bulky before I start reading. ThumbsUp. Heeheheh
Re: The Man Who Sued God by TableLeg(m): 4:50pm On Apr 07, 2013
Wast of time .....

Well done Iyaniwura for bringing this our way ...
Re: The Man Who Sued God by Nobody: 5:23pm On Apr 07, 2013
grin I have to say I like the old man already. Thanks OP.
Re: The Man Who Sued God by Nobody: 5:39pm On Apr 07, 2013
Interesting... I'm a bi fan of the OP - she exudes everything African... Keep it up!!

PS: what is "iyaniwura?"

1 Like

Re: The Man Who Sued God by Enoquin(f): 6:56pm On Apr 07, 2013
cheesy I guess that's where the creator of Boston Legal got the inspiration from for one of its episodes...suing God.
Re: The Man Who Sued God by Iyaniwura123: 7:40pm On Apr 07, 2013
Iyaniwura is Yoruba and can be translated to mean 'Mother is gold'. Thank you smiley
shymexx: Interesting... I'm a bi fan of the OP - she exudes everything African... Keep it up!!

PS: what is "iyaniwura?"
Re: The Man Who Sued God by Jenny20(f): 10:16pm On Apr 07, 2013
I remembered this case of senator Chambers suing God back then, coz i happened to be in Nebraska at the time. It remains one of the most ridiculous lawsuit in the history of Nebraska and the US as a whole.
Re: The Man Who Sued God by Nobody: 10:31pm On Apr 07, 2013
Ìyániwúrà123: Iyaniwura is Yoruba and can be translated to mean 'Mother is gold'. Thank you smiley

Thanks, sis..

That's a lovely name..

Mother is definitely gold!!

(1) (Reply)

Shocking! Ra*pe Any Girl On Sight – The Assam Ra*pe Festival In India Begins » [ / U.S. Ambassador Explains Arms Embargo On Nigeria -by Attorney Patryk Utulu (USA) / MUST SEE: N*de Photos Of Rwanda’s Female Presidential Candidate Leaks Online (18

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.