Stats: 3,153,057 members, 7,818,171 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:24 AM

Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? - Music/Radio (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? (31474 Views)

Chief Commander Ebenezer Obey Fans Thread / Which Is Your Favourite Ebenezer Obey Track / Ebenezer Obey And Sunny Ade: The Story Of Two Rivals. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Kaxmytex(m): 12:13pm On Apr 12, 2013
ighoosagie: As u go dey compare igbo and yoruba man, just as if u dey compare basketballer n footballer
abeg,wetin dis 1 dey tok?

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by adctrl: 12:14pm On Apr 12, 2013
debetmx: I prefer Ebenezer Obey but i dont subscribe to the fact that one is better than the other. They are both greats in their own rights.

You nailed it!
Both are greats and so it all depends on who's style you prefer really which can depend on things like which of them you were introduced to by your family (as in my came), your up-bringing, your origin, even religion etc

It's a hard nut to crack for me but I would say I prefer the Sunny style just!

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Nobody: 12:14pm On Apr 12, 2013
i‎​​ will go for Obey anyday, hįs songs are timeless......kete kete on my mind

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Hadeyeancah(m): 12:15pm On Apr 12, 2013
What of Osupa vs Paso

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by dayokanu(m): 12:17pm On Apr 12, 2013
Sunny Ade

Listen to to his music they are classics

Let them say, Surprise etc

Sunny Ades song had more International appeal with his use of instrument

Anjanu Oni Guitar

No wonder he was nominated for the Grammy TWICE
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by BabaOlowo: 12:17pm On Apr 12, 2013
Both!!!!
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Ninilowo(m): 12:18pm On Apr 12, 2013
shadrach77:

You are extremely silly! Anybody who knows music will realise that sunny Ade is way better than Obey. Do you think the Alaafin of Oyo made him King if Juju for nothing ?? Sunny was the first artiste to introduce synthesiser , Hawaiian guitar and several other things to juju music angry sad angry angry
Yes oooo. Obey's music is boring IMO anyway.
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by naptu2: 12:19pm On Apr 12, 2013
I love the messages in Obey's music. His lyrics are wonderful. I also love the guitar playing.

But I prefer Sunny Ade's arrangement. The way he started the "Dokpesi" song was wonderful. I love "The Good Shepherd", "Let Them Say", "Authority", "Ori Mi Ja Fun Mi", "Gbeyo Gbeyo oti ya gbeyo", "Synchro System", etc.

However, I still use Obey's song (can't remember the title) to practice my guitar playing.

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by baloafo: 12:20pm On Apr 12, 2013
I like obey music to sunny ade. Obey music is evergreen from generation to another.

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by damola311: 12:21pm On Apr 12, 2013
Both are good......but to me i always respect obey music......i've got almost all his disc @home.......most people singing juju music this days can't think themselve bt they mostly sing obey songs in their live play..........#respect

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by iykak47: 12:21pm On Apr 12, 2013
Even though i don't understand Yoruba language much but i still believe Ebenezer Obey is ahead of Sunny Ade despite that Sunny Ade is the father of stage showmanship. Olomi gbo temi, Ota mi dehin, Ori mi ko ni buru are some of Obey's songs you can't beat.

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Nobody: 12:25pm On Apr 12, 2013
Obey is perpetually peerless! Don't compare blood with water!

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Bandy10: 12:26pm On Apr 12, 2013
Though both of them play good music when compare to what obtains today.However Sunny is better.The following points will be used to back up my points.
1 Sunny Ade is the first Nigerian to be nominated for a Grammy-he has been nominated twice
2 He was applauded by president Clinton when he first came to Nigeria
3 He has played in big concerts outside the shore of this country
4 He has played for important dignitaries like the queen of England,Ghadafi and host of others
5 His music is still relevant today.
6 He is the artist of choice during celebrations

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by mikeapollo: 12:27pm On Apr 12, 2013
Okiki_Oluwa: Ebenezer Obey left secular music early in his career. He's now into gospel.
Sunny Ade has been doing well with his juju style of music.
It's diff to say who's better. If Ebenezer Obey had remained in secular music till now, it ll be easier to judge.

You said Obey left secular music early in his career? Obey retired from secular music in 1992/93. That was after more than 30 years in active music.And that was 20 years ago.Tell me any juju music album that has been released since then that was better than what Obey produced in the past!
His lyrics, songs, compostions, arrangement and delivery are unparralled and unmatched by any Juju musisican till date.

Millions of good-music lovers still play his songs that are over 30-40 years old and you would feel as if the songs were released yesterday. That is the stregth of a great musician....for your old songs of 30-40years ago to be very hot in the market....No juju musician has that!

Even after retiring for over 20 years, people are almost always pestering and beggin him to come and entertain them with his unique and rare songs.

Sunny's songs do not have the evergreen effect. His songs sells for a while, then die off after sometime. But he is able to carry on becasue of his youthfulness and dance acts.....but please dont compare him with Obey when it comes to 'real music'

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by funnyx(m): 12:28pm On Apr 12, 2013
iykak47: Even though i don't understand Yoruba language much but i still believe Ebenezer Obey is ahead of Sunny Ade despite that Sunny Ade is the father of stage showmanship. Olomi gbo temi, Ota mi dehin, Ori mi ko ni buru are some of Obey's songs you can't beat.
kiss kiss
Lyrics wise Obey is better, sometimes I wonder where he got the inspiration from, many musicians today get their lyrics from past Obey songs but the youngsters of today don't know this as many don't listen to old schools songs.
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by DollyParton1(f): 12:29pm On Apr 12, 2013
Both of them are great in their own ways, but I prefer obey to Sunny Ade,not because he is better, but because I like the way he delivers his lyrics. The words in the lyrics are calm and soothing. My dad loves sunny's music, he claims sunny has the best instrumentation in music.. My mom on the other hand loved obey when she was alive.
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by naptu2: 12:29pm On Apr 12, 2013
Of course, Sunny Ade's stagecraft and dance steps are out of this world.
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by segzyndpep(m): 12:29pm On Apr 12, 2013
Obey is the best for people who really know good music and rhythm....is choruses are superb and the percussion.so easy and sweet...i love his album for teju osho

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by tjskii(f): 12:30pm On Apr 12, 2013
I love Obey,esp dt album dt has baby mi jowo and gbe ebemi,hez simply awesome
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by DollyParton1(f): 12:31pm On Apr 12, 2013
1ndidi2: I'm not yoruba but whenever I hear ebenezer Obey's song I picture sometime in the old days,with a cool weather,children playing, fathers playing board games and mothers gisting!!

I prefer obey.

I am Yoruba and the exact thoughts comes into my head too, just that I picture my parents and their siblings as the children. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by DollyParton1(f): 12:34pm On Apr 12, 2013
timecop28:
Yezzur! I can relate to this. Obey's songs have that feel good tune in them..,dat is why i like them a lot. They can however induce nostalgia sometimes.

They do always induce nostalgia for me always.
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Nobody: 12:34pm On Apr 12, 2013
Chief Commander Ebenezer Obey is a master composer that can not be rivaled by even King Sunny Ade,who is an entertainer.Albeit, they are both great in their different styles.

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Nobody: 12:34pm On Apr 12, 2013
I love both of them bt i prefer sunny Ade cos hes frm my state.......Awa omo ondo.

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by funnyx(m): 12:36pm On Apr 12, 2013
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by moxyz: 12:36pm On Apr 12, 2013
Ki omo to daye baba e ni ebi
UP OBEY
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by foyeks2001(f): 12:37pm On Apr 12, 2013
Igbeyawo la'ye, Oba Oluwa lo fi le le, pelu ase ni...tokotaya e ma ja, tayatoko e ma ja, nitori oluranlowo, oluranlowo, oluranlowo la je, fun ra wa o, oluranlowo, oluranlowo, oluranlowo la je..

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by slimfit1(m): 12:37pm On Apr 12, 2013
Well there is nothing to compare here both are great artists simple . It's like asking your mother to pick her favorite child.
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Jarus(m): 12:38pm On Apr 12, 2013
Ebenezer Obey for me.

Both's songs are evergreen. They are also very cool and sonorous. Those guys are legends.

But Obey makes more sense. Sunny goes into obscenity once in a while. But over all, I think Sunny is more gifted.

I prefer Obey. Esin pelu kete kete.
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by foyeks2001(f): 12:39pm On Apr 12, 2013
Sweetlipkiss: I love both of them bt i prefer sunny Ade cos hes frm my state.......Awa omo ondo.

Kpele...eyin omo aje dog

Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by Nobody: 12:39pm On Apr 12, 2013
I'm into d arts/producion n i emphatically give it 2 obey!
Re: Sunny Ade Vs Ebenezer Obey: Who Do You Prefer? by dayokanu(m): 12:40pm On Apr 12, 2013
mikeapollo: You said Obey left secular music early in his career? Obey retired from secular music in 1992/93. That was after more than 30 years in active music.And that was 20 years ago.Tell me any juju music album that has been released since then that was better than what Obey produced in the past!
His lyrics, songs, compostions, arrangement and delivery are unparralled and unmatched by any Juju musisican till date.

Sunny Ade released Surprise in 1994 was better

Millions of good-music lovers still play his songs that are over 30-40 years old and you would feel as if the songs were released yesterday. That is the stregth of a great musician....for your old songs of 30-40years ago to be very hot in the market....No juju musician has that!

Sunny Ades several albums too are over 30-40yrs and still jamming listen to KSA Ogun Album, Merciful God , Let them say etc

Even after retiring for over 20 years, people are almost always pestering and beggin him to come and entertain them with his unique and rare songs.

KSA retired a while too but he was the ambassador for Globacom and the artiste of choice when it comes to Nigerian classical music

Sunny's songs do not have the evergreen effect. His songs sells for a while, then die off after sometime. But he is able to carry on becasue of his youthfulness and dance acts.....but please dont compare him with Obey when it comes to 'real music'

Sunny Ades album dont have classical effect?
Die off after sometime? You gotta be kidding me Sunny has more evergreen albums than Obey FACT
Was it dance that made him nominated for Grammy twice? First for an African artiste

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

DJ Barbie Mixtape "Lituation" / Murphy Ijemba Of Brila Fm Is Now With The New Max Fm / Nigerian Songs That Have Featured In Hollywood Movies

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81