Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,579 members, 7,816,426 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:05 AM

Canon DSLR Audio (The Help Topic Section) - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Canon DSLR Audio (The Help Topic Section) (1999 Views)

Where Can I Rent DSLR Cameras In Ilorin City? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Canon DSLR Audio (The Help Topic Section) by VillageBoi(m): 8:54pm On Apr 09, 2013
ncpat:
Feature, we will be shooting with CANNOE 7D for high resolution and picture quality, just finished negotiation with the owner of the camera who does'nt even know how to operate it, please kindly help me on how to connect external mic on the cannoe d7 as i'm not with it now cos I want a cristal clear sound and I will also do more research on it later when i'm using PC

This has been moved from a different thread so as not to derail it. Any and all filmmakers with DSLR or dual sound experience pls help out here.
Re: Canon DSLR Audio (The Help Topic Section) by VillageBoi(m): 9:04pm On Apr 09, 2013
Hi ncap.

As said earlier on. You cannot get good quality sound by connecting a mic directly to a DSLR because these cameras have extremely bad pre-amps built in. What you really want is 'dual-system' sound. Capture the sound with pro mics onto a device such as a Zoom H4n or similar.

The best thing would be you guys get a pro sound guy with his own kit.

You may connect something like a 'Rode Video mic' directly to the Canon 7D but the audio captured in-camera is only good for use as a 'guide track' to sync up the pro audio recorded on set.
Re: Canon DSLR Audio (The Help Topic Section) by VillageBoi(m): 9:06pm On Apr 09, 2013
There are other methods but I really doubt you'd be able to lay your hands on the tools by Thursday. So the closest and best thing most probably is the sound recorder.
Re: Canon DSLR Audio (The Help Topic Section) by ijebabe: 9:07pm On Apr 09, 2013
*Removes notepad from bra*
Don't let me interrupt you, carry on tongue

3 Likes

Re: Canon DSLR Audio (The Help Topic Section) by VillageBoi(m): 9:13pm On Apr 09, 2013
ijebabe: *Removes notepad from bra*

Hahahaha you just made me spit my drink all over my kompurah screen lolol
Re: Canon DSLR Audio (The Help Topic Section) by Jayboy124: 9:15pm On Apr 09, 2013
Villageboi's right.

I had similar issues with my 60D so I threw it to the members of my BBM film group. I got very useful tips to record externally - on a laptop or a sound recorder. I recorded on laptop finally. It works better that way.

Problem will be syncing in post.

1 Like

Re: Canon DSLR Audio (The Help Topic Section) by VillageBoi(m): 9:19pm On Apr 09, 2013
ijebabe:

To answer his question. The camera has a 3.5mm jack on the left-hand side... it's under the 2nd cover or whatever those rubber covers are called.
Re: Canon DSLR Audio (The Help Topic Section) by ijebabe: 9:21pm On Apr 09, 2013
Mission accomplished tongue
Have fun boys!
Re: Canon DSLR Audio (The Help Topic Section) by VillageBoi(m): 9:24pm On Apr 09, 2013
Jayboy124:
Problem will be syncing in post.

Not anymore. Pluraleyes does it all automatically. If I'm shooting on my own I don't even need use a clapperboard. Pluraleyes will put every single thing exactly where it needs to go in a jiffy.
Re: Canon DSLR Audio (The Help Topic Section) by VillageBoi(m): 9:24pm On Apr 09, 2013
ijebabe: Mission accomplished tongue
Have fun boys!

Teehee, we will ma'.
Re: Canon DSLR Audio (The Help Topic Section) by Nobody: 12:53am On Apr 10, 2013
ijebabe: *Removes notepad from bra*

omg! grin cheesy grin grin grin grin this babe is crazy! but when did you turn to this? grin angry

@Topic; i know this sounds funny, but i've been used as soundman a couple of times.... without payment though sad. Guess what i used?.........my 'kulumbu' HP laptop cheesy. trust me the mic picks sounds like nothing else with a noise reduction feature. and no stress is required carrying the damn thing about. just place it infront of them and you are good. na igbadun soundman.cheesy
Re: Canon DSLR Audio (The Help Topic Section) by VillageBoi(m): 12:57am On Apr 10, 2013
speedyboi:
@Topic; i know this sounds funny, but i've been used as soundman a couple of times.... without payment though sad. Guess what i used?.........my 'kulumbu' HP laptop cheesy. trust me the mic picks sounds like nothing else with a noise reduction feature. and no stress is required carrying the damn thing about. just place it infront of them and you are good. na igbadun soundman.cheesy

Is that by connecting a mic to the laptop? Can you share what kind of mic?
Re: Canon DSLR Audio (The Help Topic Section) by Nobody: 1:01am On Apr 10, 2013
VillageBoi:

Is that by connecting a mic to the laptop? Can you share what kind of mic?

Lmao.......you are not getting me......grin. I don't wanna burst my bubble. lipsrsealed
Re: Canon DSLR Audio (The Help Topic Section) by VillageBoi(m): 1:04am On Apr 10, 2013
speedyboi:
Lmao.......you are not getting me......grin. I don't wanna burst my bubble. lipsrsealed

Ah I get you now. No way!!! lol.
Re: Canon DSLR Audio (The Help Topic Section) by VillageBoi(m): 1:15am On Apr 10, 2013
I'm going to buy one of these Rode Lav mics for the iPhone to test out -

The Rode SmartLav

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqkuxdMKUBU

This is the App for it -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-mHx9gzYiA

Also sharing their 'other' mic but I have a Tascam DR40 which I picked after getting rid of my Zoom H4n... no need for me to get this

The Rode iXY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rqt1LouGAt8
Re: Canon DSLR Audio (The Help Topic Section) by VillageBoi(m): 1:25am On Apr 10, 2013
Duh! I am so stoopid. I just realised that the Rode SmartLav is a similar connection (looks like it) to my existing lav mics... so I should just the buy the App and test it... if it works then I don't have to buy their mic.
What made me not even think that was because the iXY came out first and the connector is very, very different... will let you guys know tomorrow if it works.
Re: Canon DSLR Audio (The Help Topic Section) by ncpat(m): 1:41am On Apr 10, 2013
VillageBoi:
Hi ncap.

As said earlier on. You cannot get good quality sound by connecting a mic directly to a DSLR because these cameras have extremely bad pre-amps built in. What you really want is 'dual-system' sound. Capture the sound with pro mics onto a device such as a Zoom H4n or similar.

The best thing would be you guys get a pro sound guy with his own kit.

You may connect something like a 'Rode Video mic' directly to the Canon 7D but the audio captured in-camera is only good for use as a 'guide track' to sync up the pro audio recorded on set.
with u boss just having power problem that`s why i`m late to reply.
Re: Canon DSLR Audio (The Help Topic Section) by Nobody: 2:05am On Apr 10, 2013
VillageBoi:

Ah I get you now. No way!!! lol.

I don't think so grin
Re: Canon DSLR Audio (The Help Topic Section) by VillageBoi(m): 2:06am On Apr 10, 2013
ncpat:
with u boss just having power problem that`s why i`m late to reply.

No probs. I hope that has answered your question?
Re: Canon DSLR Audio (The Help Topic Section) by VillageBoi(m): 2:07am On Apr 10, 2013
speedyboi:
I don't think so grin

Hahahahaha. Shhhhhhhhhh the secret is safe with our laptops!
Re: Canon DSLR Audio (The Help Topic Section) by ncpat(m): 2:10am On Apr 10, 2013
@Villageboi I will let you know the outcome later today as I will be collecting the camera by 6pm today and I will run a test using Behringer B2 MIC and a mixer connecting back to the canoe d7 if the option is there to know how the sound would be.
Re: Canon DSLR Audio (The Help Topic Section) by ncpat(m): 2:14am On Apr 10, 2013
VillageBoi:

No probs. I hope that has answered your question?
Doing some research now, oh boy e no easy oh, all I hear with D7 is using a boom mic with zoom h4 and recording on a different device
Re: Canon DSLR Audio (The Help Topic Section) by VillageBoi(m): 2:16am On Apr 10, 2013
ncpat: @Villageboi I will let you know the outcome later today as I will be collecting the camera by 6pm today and I will run a test using Behringer B2 MIC and a mixer connecting back to the canoe d7 if the option is there to know how the sound would be.

Does the Behringer take a battery? I know it's 48V Phanthom power. And what mixer are you guys using?

EDIT - The mixer has to supply the power to the mic. Did they give you cables to connect the mixer to the 7D? Let's know how the testing goes.
Re: Canon DSLR Audio (The Help Topic Section) by VillageBoi(m): 2:33am On Apr 10, 2013
ncpat:
Doing some research now, oh boy e no easy oh, all I hear with D7 is using a boom mic with zoom h4 and recording on a different device

Yeah. A boom really is just a 'stick' that you can put practically 'any' mic on. What they are mentioning is the 'dual-system' sound we talked about.

If you connect the mixer to the camera you'll be limited in the kind of shots you can do (well you'll be stuck to a wire) which is also pretty dangerous so be careful of 'trip' hazzards.

I know it's not really easy but something will be figured out.
Re: Canon DSLR Audio (The Help Topic Section) by ncpat(m): 2:38am On Apr 10, 2013
VillageBoi:

Does the Behringer take a battery? I know it's 48V Phanthom power. And what mixer are you guys using?

EDIT - The mixer has to supply the power to the mic. Did they give you cables to connect the mixer to the 7D? Let's know how the testing goes.
I owned the mic and mixer for my musical studio production so it has phanthom power, I will capture the sound to the mixer and mixer to the camera and transfer it to pc for edit, export it and check it out if the sound is ok before going to the field.
Re: Canon DSLR Audio (The Help Topic Section) by VillageBoi(m): 2:45am On Apr 10, 2013
ncpat:
I owned the mic and mixer for my musical studio production so it has phanthom power, I will capture the sound to the mixer and mixer to the camera and transfer it to pc for edit, export it and check it out if the sound is ok before going to the field.

Can't you just capture sound to the mixer on SD cards or something and then don't bother tethering yourself to the camera? And later just sync in post.
Re: Canon DSLR Audio (The Help Topic Section) by ncpat(m): 2:58am On Apr 10, 2013
VillageBoi:

Can't you just capture sound to the mixer on SD cards or something and then don't bother tethering yourself to the camera? And later just sync in post.
That will be hell of work and nobody is paying me for all this, this is the reason why we end up messing the all thing, I tried to make my friend understand that i`m not ready yet to dive into movie production but he would`nt listen and now he has organised the cast crew so I don`t want to let him down, he is not even bothered about quality but for me I cherished quality that is why i`m going extra miles and i`m base in Gombe for now where there is no professionalism when it comes to movie production.
Re: Canon DSLR Audio (The Help Topic Section) by VillageBoi(m): 3:06am On Apr 10, 2013
ncpat:
That will be hell of work and nobody is paying me for all this, this is the reason why we end up messing the all thing, I tried to make my friend understand that i`m not ready yet to dive into movie production but he would`nt listen and now he has organised the cast crew so I don`t want to let him down, he is not even bothered about quality but for me I cherished quality that is why i`m going extra miles and i`m base in Gombe for now where there is no professionalism when it comes to movie production.

Ah, the dreaded no pre-prod. Good filmmaking IS hard work. Honestly if you guys are not quite 'ready' you really shouldn't do it. It will be so much more pain than gain.
Why don't you convince him to do a few shorts first, get used to the equipment, make mistakes on shorts - use it as a learning curve. Making mistakes on a feature is very costly and not worth it.
Re: Canon DSLR Audio (The Help Topic Section) by ncpat(m): 3:26am On Apr 10, 2013
VillageBoi:

Ah, the dreaded no pre-prod. Good filmmaking IS hard work. Honestly if you guys are not quite 'ready' you really shouldn't do it. It will be so much more pain than gain.
Why don't you convince him to do a few shorts first, get used to the equipment, make mistakes on shorts - use it as a learning curve. Making mistakes on a feature is very costly and not worth it.
Do u have this sound effect called designer sound fx from Andrew Cramer of video copilot? don`t know where I kept mine or probably I have formatted the disk I copied it on.

Re: Canon DSLR Audio (The Help Topic Section) by sheyma: 8:07am On Apr 10, 2013
@village. Boi. Is. D panasonic P2 good for shooting very clear HD images
Re: Canon DSLR Audio (The Help Topic Section) by VillageBoi(m): 9:27am On Apr 10, 2013
sheyma: @village. Boi. Is. D panasonic P2 good for shooting very clear HD images

I'm pretty sure he Panasonic P2 cameras do shoot full HD.

Quick question for you - Are you shooting news/documentary or narrative films?
Re: Canon DSLR Audio (The Help Topic Section) by VillageBoi(m): 9:28am On Apr 10, 2013
ncpat:
Do u have this sound effect called designer sound fx from Andrew Cramer of video copilot? don`t know where I kept mine or probably I have formatted the disk I copied it on.

Lol, I guess every filmmaker/editor in Nigeria has a copy of that grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Falling Skies Is Back (season 3) / Download Spider-man: Far From Home 2019 Movie / Legend Of The Seeker:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.