Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,963 members, 7,817,838 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:50 PM

Us Approves Virgin For Direct Flights - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Us Approves Virgin For Direct Flights (755 Views)

US Approves $250m Loan For Fertilizer Facility In Nigeria / US Approves First Over-the-counter HIV Test / Us 'approves Killing' Us-born Cleric Anwar Al-awlaki (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Us Approves Virgin For Direct Flights by bluehorizo(m): 3:33pm On Apr 06, 2008
The United States of America’s Department of Transport, on Friday, granted Virgin Nigeria the approval to fly direct commercial flights from Lagos to various destinations in America

The Airline’s Media Relations Manager, Mr. Samuel Ogbogoro, said this in a statement on Saturday.

According to him, the document, which was signed by the Director, Office of International Aviation, Mr. Paul Gretch, confirmed that Virgin Nigeria Airways Limited had formally been granted the foreign air carrier permit, and is financially and operationally qualified to perform the services authorised.

He added that the DOT approval authorises Virgin to use aircraft wet leased from a duly authorised and properly supervised U.S. or foreign air carrier.

The Chief Executive Officer of Virgin Nigeria, Mr. Conrad Clifford described the approval for the commencement of direct flights to America as a boost for the Nigerian aviation industry as a whole.

“Our commitment to fulfill the ‘American dream’ of our transatlantic Customers has today come to fruition and in a few months time, we will unveil our blueprint for the operations into the USA,” Clifford said.

He also noted that prior to now, the airline had gone into partnership with a marketing company, Discover the World to sell the airline in the United States as well as its existing interline agreements which it had been using to connect passengers on the American route.

This approval is based on the open skies agreement between Nigeria and the US to operate non-stop flights between both countries.

Virgin Nigeria has since December 2005 filed an application with the US Department of Transport to provide scheduled passenger air transportation between the United States and Nigeria and has vigorously pursued the process in the last two and half years.

Meanwhile Delta Airlines and North American Airline are presently the US airlines flying into the country.

However, North America airline has said it would withdraw by May this year due to increasing fuel cost, Continental airlines is preparing to come in.

Virgin, Arik and Bellview have been designated to fly the US route which virgin has got approval for.

Source:http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200804062212435
Re: Us Approves Virgin For Direct Flights by Nobody: 6:44pm On Apr 07, 2008
virgin nigeria ke. no way ooo. o ti oooo. i still love my self. i definitely no dey enter the plane even if richard branson dey inside
Re: Us Approves Virgin For Direct Flights by Arnold1(m): 6:07am On Apr 08, 2008
Yes, it is OFFICIAL !

I just checked Virgin Nigeria's website and they have confirmed it:

http://www.virginnigeria.com/en/ng/press/pr2008-04-04.html

I'm sure they'll want to ply the lucrative NY-Lagos route.

Perhaps the airline will be issuing their own IPO in the nearest future.
Re: Us Approves Virgin For Direct Flights by tRoOE(f): 6:27am On Apr 08, 2008
Am so freaking happy because I was given 100% discount off my ticket during xmas for making me miss my flight from London to US. I don't have to buy another ticket for summer yippppppeee, but when do they start flying undecided
Re: Us Approves Virgin For Direct Flights by vikiviko(m): 6:59pm On Apr 08, 2008
Its another wonderful feat by Virgin Nigeria.
Soon it will have license to fly to the moon.

(1) (Reply)

Agagu Vs Mimko? / Give Nigeria 2010 World Cup / Travelers' Laptops May Be Detained At Border

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.