Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,238 members, 7,860,531 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 12:11 PM

Enugu – Port Harcourt Federal Road Goes Bad 3 Months After Rehabilitation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Enugu – Port Harcourt Federal Road Goes Bad 3 Months After Rehabilitation (994 Views)

Photo: 3 Months After Losing Power, PDP Wadata House Rots Away / Jonathan Purchases Innoson Vehicles For Federal Road Safety Corps [Photo] / Enugu – Port Harcourt Federal Road Goes Bad 3 Months After Rehabilitation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Enugu – Port Harcourt Federal Road Goes Bad 3 Months After Rehabilitation by Nobody: 3:03pm On Apr 11, 2013
UMUAHIA — BARELY three months after the busy Enugu-Okigwe-Umuahia-PortHarcourt federal road was rehabilitated under the supervision of FERMA, some portions of the road have gone bad again.

When reputable contractors like Julius Berger and Setraco were mobilised to rehabilitate the road, especially the Okigwe-Umuahia axis which was then a real death trap, motorists and commuters jubilated but their joy has turned out a temporary one.

This is because potholes have developed on the road, especially in the middle, endangering the lives of road users.

The potholes are mostly located between Ezinachi in Okigwe and Ofeme in Umuahia, a portion handled by one of the major contractors.

However, the stretch from Umuahia-back to Okigwe is in a better condition.

Even FERMA, which has its name advertised at several points along the road, has not made any effort to patch the new potholes.

Motorists and other road users are wondering what would happen when the rains come in full force.

The pace of rehabilitation work between Umuahia and Aba is abysmally slow, subjecting road users to unnecessary traffic snarls.

“When we saw the big contractors mobilized on thisroad late last year, we were very happy that we would have a good road that wouldlast for long.

“But even what they did, only repairing the road with mixtures that looked like concrete surprised us.

“The road, especially the lane from Okigwe to Umuahia is not smooth. We had thought that the contractors would asphalt it but they never did and that is why you see some portions already going bad.

“Let the Federal Government do this road once and for all by fully mobilizing the contractors so that the people using this road will for one heave a sigh of relief,” lamented a motorist, who gave his name simply as Emmanuel.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/04/enugu-port-harcourt-federal-road-goes-bad-3-months-after-rehabilitation/
Re: Enugu – Port Harcourt Federal Road Goes Bad 3 Months After Rehabilitation by ikeyman00(m): 3:15pm On Apr 11, 2013
@@@@

hm

so wat they did na to patch up things

shocked shocked shocked shocked

i think this is a serious blow shocked
Re: Enugu – Port Harcourt Federal Road Goes Bad 3 Months After Rehabilitation by Nobody: 3:28pm On Apr 11, 2013
who should be blamed? I wonder why Federal roads in the SE are never given serious attention. yet we have a President who is from the South. smh
Re: Enugu – Port Harcourt Federal Road Goes Bad 3 Months After Rehabilitation by Nobody: 3:29pm On Apr 11, 2013
I travelled through that road December last year and February this year. What was done on the road was rehabilitation of very bad portions and not full reconstruction. Long stretch of bad sections were re-asphalted while small potholes were filled up(patched). The fairly good sections of the road were not touched. As at the last time I used the road, the stretch from Enugu to Okigwe had been worked on. Work was still going on the return lane. For lanes that had been worked on, though not perfect, one could travel on the road at reasonable speed without any fear of sudden significant pothole. Vehicles were diverted at the return lane still being worked on. I expect that work on the return lane should have been completed by now.

However, if sections of the road that were worked on recently had developed new potholes as reported, it implies some contractors did a bad job and should be asked by the authorities to return to site. It is also possible that the potholes developed on previously fairly good portions that were not touched.

Unfortunately, the reporters did not contact any govt official for a response before publishing the report.

Nonetheless, FERMA seems to be up and doing these days and it is expected that they can take remedial action on any significant pothole.

The road itself has expired and is due for FULL reconstruction. The minister of works said the road will be awarded later this year for FULL reconstruction. We are waiting
Re: Enugu – Port Harcourt Federal Road Goes Bad 3 Months After Rehabilitation by Nobody: 3:37pm On Apr 11, 2013
sincere Nigeria, please quickly tell your oga that this one is not good for 2015. And hope the ijebu road that is being dragged with amosun will not be like this soon.
Re: Enugu – Port Harcourt Federal Road Goes Bad 3 Months After Rehabilitation by Nobody: 3:38pm On Apr 11, 2013
Re: Enugu – Port Harcourt Federal Road Goes Bad 3 Months After Rehabilitation by ekoilee: 3:44pm On Apr 11, 2013
what else is new? Federal character all over.
Re: Enugu – Port Harcourt Federal Road Goes Bad 3 Months After Rehabilitation by ejifranks(m): 4:25pm On Apr 11, 2013
was surprised when i passed that road enroute to enugu from owerri.... hasnt being too long this roads were rehabilitated... I just wonder what this contractors do in the name of road rehabilitation. Government has to do somethng about this fast
Re: Enugu – Port Harcourt Federal Road Goes Bad 3 Months After Rehabilitation by seunfly: 4:36pm On Apr 11, 2013
For me i don't think we need to keep repairing our roads particularly the busy roads in the south, what we need is to reconstruct new roads because repairing Nigerian roads is like patching rags the more u patch the more it tears.
Re: Enugu – Port Harcourt Federal Road Goes Bad 3 Months After Rehabilitation by Nobody: 5:10pm On Apr 11, 2013
Yeah just like the wash wash light you celebrated a few months ago, we are back to square one. Fraudulent government, come 2015 you lot would vote gej back, then I will forget this country for good.
Re: Enugu – Port Harcourt Federal Road Goes Bad 3 Months After Rehabilitation by Nightshift(m): 6:11pm On Apr 11, 2013
That road used to be the best Highway in Nigeria between 1980 and 1989. The French company that constructed the road did a good job. By late 80s, there used to be some few bad portions between Agwu junction and where the current boundary of Enugu and Abia states is, but it never hindered traffic that much. At a time Setraco was given orders by FG to maintain bad portions in Agwu area, hence their site near Mgbowo. During the good old years, Enugu to Aba use to take about 1hr,30minutes. I would relax, listening to my favourite radio station, Radio Rivers 2 FM Stereo Port Harcourt(Nigeria's first FM radio station).

Abacha's military junta made sure that the road was smooth through its PTF backed contracts. What are our representatives really doing in Abuja? FERMA is notoriously known for doing shoddily maintenance works across the country. The agency probably underpaid the contractors, or carried it out in its known fashion - to last below 6 months.
Re: Enugu – Port Harcourt Federal Road Goes Bad 3 Months After Rehabilitation by OmoTier1(m): 6:39pm On Apr 11, 2013
I thought they said all roads in Nigeria is now express way as smooth as ice lipsrsealed
Re: Enugu – Port Harcourt Federal Road Goes Bad 3 Months After Rehabilitation by Nobody: 6:50pm On Apr 11, 2013
Err.... Mr Sincere 9gerian! Thought you'd never say anything against the FG. Or are you for GEJ alone? Or of this your new leaf synonymous to the saying "Time changes yesterday".
Re: Enugu – Port Harcourt Federal Road Goes Bad 3 Months After Rehabilitation by fkaz(m): 6:51pm On Apr 11, 2013
Omo_Tier1: I thought they said all roads in Nigeria is now express way as smooth as ice lipsrsealed

Only ABC transport enjoy such express road
Re: Enugu – Port Harcourt Federal Road Goes Bad 3 Months After Rehabilitation by Nobody: 7:07pm On Apr 11, 2013
The funny thing is this; in 2003 Obasanjo campaigned at Aba Township Stadium,Yardua campaigned there in 2007 while Goodluck Jonathan did same twice in 2010/2011 yet 3 of them neglected the sufferings of people of Abia State,South East and even the entire nation.hmmmm my eye don dey red o. GEJ! I call upon you to do something before is too late o.
Re: Enugu – Port Harcourt Federal Road Goes Bad 3 Months After Rehabilitation by dougivilla(m): 11:15pm On Apr 11, 2013
fkaz:

Only ABC transport enjoy such express road
lol

(1) (Reply)

Thousands Of Ex-govt Officials Surrender To Buhari's Anti-corruption Probe-1984 / Why Wont I Leave Nigeria! / President Goodluck Jonathan Drops 9 Ministers.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.