Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,006 members, 7,814,435 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:51 PM

South African Lesbians Protest Against Govt - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / South African Lesbians Protest Against Govt (9211 Views)

Xenophobia: Zambian Radio Station Stops Playing South African Music / 2013 Xenophobia Video In South African / Russian Man Nails Own Testicles In Protest Against Crackdown On Political Rights (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

South African Lesbians Protest Against Govt by Nobody: 7:30am On Apr 12, 2013
These women are protesting against government policies that do not recognise their individual rights. these are;
•the right to be treated equally before the law.
• the right not to be unfairly discriminated against on the grounds of gender and sex.ual orientation.
• the right to enter into a valid marriage of lesbian couples legally recognised by law.

Re: South African Lesbians Protest Against Govt by CAMNEWTON4PRES: 8:16am On Apr 12, 2013
MAY THE GODS HELP US ALL. IDONGO
Re: South African Lesbians Protest Against Govt by possibilita(m): 8:59am On Apr 12, 2013
angrysupporting homosexuality or not i think they have the right to do what they want in the society undecided after all they are all humans.

1 Like

Re: South African Lesbians Protest Against Govt by Nobody: 10:34am On Apr 12, 2013
mondi_cheeks: These women are protesting against government policies that do not recognise their individual rights. these are;
•the right to be treated equally before the law.
• the right not to be unfairly discriminated against on the grounds of gender and sex.ual orientation.
• the right to enter into a valid marriage of lesbian couples legally recognised by law.

What utter bullsh*t is this because under the constitution Gay/lesbians have the same marital rights since 2006 already, I myself has attended a lesbian marriage in december 2012.

Now my dear I don't now where you got this article from but hey I don't blame you.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-sex_marriage_in_south_africa

1 Like

Re: South African Lesbians Protest Against Govt by Nobody: 10:48am On Apr 12, 2013
DictatorZAR:

What utter bullsh*t is this because under the constitution Gay/lesbians have the same marital rights since 2006 already, I myself has attended a lesbian marriage in december 2012.

Now my dear I don't now where you got this article from but hey I don't blame you.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Same-sex_marriage_in_south_africa
they can enter into a civil union... Issue being they do not marry under the Marriage Act 25 of 1961, only under the Civil Union Act 17 of 2006 after the Fourie v minister of Home Affairs was decided. There still are differences. Opposite-sex couples can marry under either of the Acts
Re: South African Lesbians Protest Against Govt by Nobody: 12:42pm On Apr 12, 2013
mondi_cheeks: they can enter into a civil union... Issue being they do not marry under the Marriage Act 25 of 1961, only under the Civil Union Act 17 of 2006 after the Fourie v minister of Home Affairs was decided. There still are differences. Opposite-sex couples can marry under either of the Acts

My dear it seems you get a few things wrong here:

-The interim bill you referring to initially introduced and allowed civil partnerships, which would be open only to same-s.ex couples and have the same legal consequences as marriage.

But the parliament was ask by the constitutional court to amend the law within 1-2years or the court will inact the bill as is:

-The Portfolio Committee amended the bill to allow either marriage or civil partnerships, and to allow both the same and opposite s*ex couples, the same rights.

-Now couples marrying in terms of the Civil Union act may choose whether there Union is registered as a marriage or a civil partnership. In either case, the legal consequences are Identical to those of a marriage under the Marriage Act, except for such changes as are required by the context.

So any reference to marriage in any law, including the common law, is deemed to include a marriage or civil partnership in terms of the Civil Union Act(act17 of 2006)

In conclusion, discrimination against same-s.ex couples is prohibited, by section 9 of SA's Constitution.

@Mondi cheeks, lesbians/gays have the same marital rights under the Civil Unions Act(act 17 of 2006) as under the Marriage Act.

The only issue is there's is still widespread discrimination and abuse against Les/gays in all sectors of society in SA, and I can understand if they want to protest against such, but in law they are free and enjoy equal civil and constitutional rights as opposite s.ex couples.
Re: South African Lesbians Protest Against Govt by Nobody: 1:05pm On Apr 12, 2013
DictatorZAR:

@Mondi cheeks, lesbians/gays have the same marital rights under the Civil Unions Act(act 17 of 2006) as under the Marriage Act.

The only issue is there's is still widespread discrimination and abuse against Les/gays in all sectors of society in SA, and I can understand if they want to protest against such, but in law they are free and enjoy equal civil and constitutional rights as opposite s.ex couples.
I agree wit what u mentioned. u did realise that according to the Civil Union Act the parties involved have to be older than 18years where as under the Marriage Act parties can actually be younger (if its justified)...it still constitutes at unfair discrimination on the ground of sexual orientation and age. Opposite-sex couple can enter into a marriage where the other party is younger than 18 if valid consent is given.(Under marriage act) and where a minor doesn't get consent from the parents/guardians the marriage is considered voidable not void.
Re: South African Lesbians Protest Against Govt by Nobody: 1:40pm On Apr 12, 2013
mondi_cheeks: I agree wit what u mentioned. u did realise that according to the Civil Union Act the parties involved have to be older than 18years where as under the Marriage Act parties can actually be younger (if its justified)...it still constitutes at unfair discrimination on the ground of sexual orientation and age. Opposite-sex couple can enter into a marriage where the other party is younger than 18 if valid consent is given.(Under marriage act) and where a minor doesn't get consent from the parents/guardians the marriage is considered voidable not void.

You do know that the age of consent is there to protect the vulnerable. The Marriage Act was ameneded to be in line with the Childrens Act of 2005 which states that no boy under the age of 18 cannot marry without parental/guardian consent, same for girls under the age of 15 cannot marry without the approval of the Minister of Home Affairs or an high ranking official who've been given authorization to do such.

The civil unions act has the same constitutional recordnition as the marriage act, and therefore the same rights under the constitution applies to both, and like I posted before discrimination is prohibited under section 9 of the constitution.
Re: South African Lesbians Protest Against Govt by Nobody: 2:05pm On Apr 12, 2013
DictatorZAR:

You do know that the age of consent is there to protect the vulnerable.
yes I know that it also has to protect those who are believed not to have the mental capacity to enter into such an agreement and act in accordance with such appreciation. but it still doesn't eliminte the fact only people above 18 can enter into a civil union where as a minor can enter into a marriage without parental or ministerial consent according to the Marriage Act. Remember the law says such a marriage is voidable(it can be ratified) not void (has no legal effect at all).

The Marriage Act was ameneded to be in line with the Childrens Act of 2005 which states that no boy under the age of 18 cannot marry without parental/guardian consent, same for girls under the age of 15 cannot marry without the approval of the Minister of Home Affairs or an high ranking official who've been given authorization to do such.

I know a civil union has legal consequences to a 'traditional marriage'...I'm jus saying there is discrimination with regarded to who can enter into a civil union under the Civil Union Act as compared to a marriage under Marriage Act where a minor who did not attain valid consent can still enter a marriage that is considered VOIDABLE
Re: South African Lesbians Protest Against Govt by Nobody: 2:05pm On Apr 12, 2013
For instance a minor may enter into a contract of marriage(in accordance with the Marriage Act) provided that doing so will be in his best interest. But for the same minor to enter a civil union with someone of the same sex, he has to wait until he is 18.
Re: South African Lesbians Protest Against Govt by Nobody: 9:02am On Apr 13, 2013
With all this said there's no denying the fact that South Africa is way ahead of the rest of the world including so called developed democratic countries like UK, US, France and Canada when it comes to gays/lesbian rights.

Right now no African country aside from South Africa, can any gay/lesbian persons express there sex*ual orientation freely(even if there's still pockets of resistance).

I know this is not a discussion on other countries but I wish Africa can wake up and allow same s*ex couple to live there lives as they find appropriate.
Re: South African Lesbians Protest Against Govt by jidewin(m): 3:55pm On Apr 13, 2013
cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
DictatorZAR: With all this said there's no denying the fact that South Africa is way ahead of the rest of the world including so called developed democratic countries like UK, US, France and Canada when it comes to gays/lesbian rights.

Right now no African country aside from South Africa, can any gay/lesbian persons express there sex*ual orientation freely(even if there's still pockets of resistance).

I know this is not a discussion on other countries but I wish Africa can wake up and allow same s*ex couple to live there lives as they find appropriate.
what?? cry
DictatorZAR: With all this said there's no denying the fact that South Africa is way ahead of the rest of the world including so called developed democratic countries like UK, US, France and Canada when it comes to gays/lesbian rights.

what?
Re: South African Lesbians Protest Against Govt by Nobody: 4:00pm On Apr 13, 2013
jidewin: cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
what?? cry
what?

So what's with youtongue
Re: South African Lesbians Protest Against Govt by Nobody: 8:45pm On Apr 13, 2013
jidewin: cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
what?? cry
what?
opposite sex couples arent being condemned for sex outside marriage (by law...unless its statutory rape) even though it is still considered a sin/immoral by different religions and cultures... What makes it different when it comes to same-sex couples? It still is the same thing
Re: South African Lesbians Protest Against Govt by pleep(m): 4:35am On May 24, 2013
mondi_cheeks: For instance a minor may enter into a contract of marriage(in accordance with the Marriage Act) provided that doing so will be in his best interest. But for the same minor to enter a civil union with someone of the same sex, he has to wait until he is 18.

[size=15pt]They have to wait until they are 18? omg! how horrible[/size].... lol this whole thread is a joke. And maybe if those nasty dykes would keep their cloths on when they are protesting, ppl would take them more seriously

just my 2 cents.

2 Likes

Re: South African Lesbians Protest Against Govt by Nobody: 6:23am On May 24, 2013
smiley not that I would be expecting u to say anything intelligent smiley moving along...
Re: South African Lesbians Protest Against Govt by pleep(m): 6:28am On May 24, 2013
.. as if south africa didnt have enough diseases.
Re: South African Lesbians Protest Against Govt by Nobody: 6:31am On May 24, 2013
pleep: .. as if south africa didnt have enough diseases.
wat do u have to say abt ur mental disease?
Re: South African Lesbians Protest Against Govt by Nobody: 7:00am On May 24, 2013
pleep: .. as if south africa didnt have enough diseases.

Since when has being gay/lesbian become a disease. Show me one country without diseases, even diabetes and Heart related problems in US/EU has become worse then the HIV problems in SA or in Africa.

What matters is the right of every person to live the way he/she sees fit within the confines of a nations constitution, not what some foreigner with his own religious and self righteous mind set and intentions want to impose on another.

What I'm trying to say is tolerance will set you free not the nation bashing session you are slowly trying to bring into this topic, because not everyone believe as u believe or follow others prescribed morality's.

You get that.
tongue
Re: South African Lesbians Protest Against Govt by UyiIredia(m): 11:20am On May 24, 2013
Ugly women !
Re: South African Lesbians Protest Against Govt by pleep(m): 5:17pm On May 24, 2013
DictatorZAR:

Since when has being gay/lesbian become a disease. Show me one country without diseases, even diabetes and Heart related problems in US/EU has become worse then the HIV problems in SA or in Africa.

What matters is the right of every person to live the way he/she sees fit within the confines of a nations constitution, not what some foreigner with his own religious and self righteous mind set and intentions want to impose on another.

What I'm trying to say is tolerance will set you free not the nation bashing session you are slowly trying to bring into this topic, because not everyone believe as u believe or follow others prescribed morality's.

You get that.
tongue

"prescribed moralities"......... [size=16pt]Wat da hell is dat? [/size]

Re: South African Lesbians Protest Against Govt by Nobody: 8:01pm On May 24, 2013
Spits on thread and it's followers
Re: South African Lesbians Protest Against Govt by Nobody: 8:18pm On May 25, 2013
Re: South African Lesbians Protest Against Govt by Nobody: 8:51am On Jun 05, 2013
pleep:

"prescribed moralities"......... [size=16pt]Wat da hell is dat? [/size]

Ask your Northerners let's see how they treat your INFIDEL **SS.

(1) (Reply)

Liberian Elections: Voters Turnout Exceeded 78% In All The Elections / 22 Confirmed Dead After Chemical Explosions In China (Photos) / 10 Similarities Between Obama And Yaradua

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.