Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,612 members, 7,809,240 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:28 AM

Flogging Children: Is It Scriptural Or Cultural Or Both? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Flogging Children: Is It Scriptural Or Cultural Or Both? (2139 Views)

Quote Your Favourite Scriptural Verse Here / His Dis Scriptural Or How Do Christian Come About It? / Killing Children Is Bible Miracle! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Flogging Children: Is It Scriptural Or Cultural Or Both? by AKO1(m): 6:42pm On Apr 08, 2008
Flogging/canning is as you may well be aware, is a very common practice all over Africa and is widely perceived as the most effective way of disciplining an erring child.
Notwithstanding, there are critics (mostly western) who believe that this practice is barbaric, animalistic and cruel.
Christians usually support flogging of children with the following passages:

Proverbs 22:15
Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the[b] rod of correction[/b] shall drive it far from him.

Proverbs 23:13
Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die.

Proverbs 13:24
He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes.

In these passages, the rod is interpreted literarilly. I'd like to find out how accurate you think this interpretation of the rod is, and whether flogging is a purely cultural thing. Thanks.
Re: Flogging Children: Is It Scriptural Or Cultural Or Both? by Image123(m): 3:05am On Apr 09, 2008
The verses you read are clear to anyone who understands english,even a 5year old.The problem is, many will attack such verses by excuses like"we are now under grace not law" or say "the verses are not to be taken seriously/literally but as similes" orsay "those verses are the ideas of some man in BC era not God's"
Re: Flogging Children: Is It Scriptural Or Cultural Or Both? by Lady2(f): 3:11am On Apr 09, 2008
It is both.
Those verses are clear.

But still what difference should it make?
If it isn't scriptural does it mean we should abandon culture too (which is what some christians do that make me upset)
The scripture was not to move you away completely from your culture.

Besides when it was written it wasn't exposed to our ancestors and I'm sure they used to flog the living daylight out of the children then.

The children should be flogged, but not to death o. No talk say ~Lady~ send you o. Correct them not kill them abi.
Re: Flogging Children: Is It Scriptural Or Cultural Or Both? by Image123(m): 3:45am On Apr 09, 2008
@~lady~
well,where culture opposes Scripture,it should be immediately abandoned and left with the devil.It was a culture in a popular region in Nigeria to kill twins
Re: Flogging Children: Is It Scriptural Or Cultural Or Both? by Nobody: 3:53am On Apr 09, 2008
@topic

It's scriptural and cultural.
Re: Flogging Children: Is It Scriptural Or Cultural Or Both? by ajokeakin: 11:41am On Jan 07, 2010
stillwater:

@topic

It's scriptural and cultural.
yea supported,this will help other abdulmutallab umar
Re: Flogging Children: Is It Scriptural Or Cultural Or Both? by jagunlabi(m): 1:45pm On Jan 07, 2010
Is flogging or canning children biblical?OH NO! shocked Flogging ke?You have to STONE them to death!Leave the stones and spoil the shild. grin
Re: Flogging Children: Is It Scriptural Or Cultural Or Both? by AbuZola3(m): 1:54pm On Jan 07, 2010
Lol, contradiction in the bible again, so which one do we take, flog or no flog, hahaha, bible my foot
Re: Flogging Children: Is It Scriptural Or Cultural Or Both? by jagunlabi(m): 2:02pm On Jan 07, 2010
Abu Zola:

Lol, contradiction in the bible again, so which one do we take, flog or no flog, hahaha, bible my foot
I know that you muslims only flog women, especially wives.Is that "quranic" too?

(1) (Reply)

How Did Life Really Start? / Enjoy This Christian 'Bullshit' / Caucasian Woman Sings Yoruba Song "flawlessly" - Role of God in Human Affairs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.