Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,700 members, 7,816,868 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:03 PM

Who Pays For HACKED Website; Owner Or Webmaster? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Who Pays For HACKED Website; Owner Or Webmaster? (2886 Views)

Disadvantages Of Dating A Blogger (website Owner). / 10 Website Security Issues Every Website Owner Should Be Aware Of / Are You A Website Owner Or Admin ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Pays For HACKED Website; Owner Or Webmaster? by ZinoFego: 11:11pm On Apr 16, 2013
Hello Webmasters,

Please I need your advice on who bears the financial responsibilities or otherwise for the redevelopment of a website completed and approved by the client but later was hacked.

Thank you.
Re: Who Pays For HACKED Website; Owner Or Webmaster? by AFOLSNETWORKS(m): 11:38pm On Apr 16, 2013
That is not a small ish to tackel.

If the owner of the wesite was adviced properly on web security, and if the owner paid for security, then the webmaster should be held accountable.

But if it is one of these N28,500 cool websites, then how much damage will u claim on the webmaster?
Re: Who Pays For HACKED Website; Owner Or Webmaster? by mededot(m): 12:41am On Apr 17, 2013
Interesting!

First, what sort of website was it? Did the web master build it using CSS/HTML Or did the webmaster use a CMS. In both Scenarios, what were the proovable security measures that were built into the website by the webmaster

In my opinion, the website owner will most likely not know anything about website security and once the cpanel details have been handed to them, all they do is keep it in their mail somewhere!

The webmaster is responsible for the security of the website he built no matter how much was paid to him to build it. What he can do is offer to recover the website at no cost or if he cannot do it, find someone who can!

I don't see any way in which the website owner would agree to pay for a hacked site recovery! My thoughts!

1 Like

Re: Who Pays For HACKED Website; Owner Or Webmaster? by ZinoFego: 1:06am On Apr 17, 2013
AFOLSNETWORKS: That is not a small ish to tackel.

If the owner of the wesite was adviced properly on web security, and if the owner paid for security, then the webmaster should be held accountable.

But if it is one of these N28,500 cool websites, then how much damage will u claim on the webmaster?

Should security then be charged differently from the fees for developing the site? If that's the case, I'll take that agreement to mean a lifetime insurance of some sort..by that I mean, as long as the website is under the webmaster's management, he's liable for the security of the site.
Re: Who Pays For HACKED Website; Owner Or Webmaster? by ZinoFego: 1:13am On Apr 17, 2013
mededot: Interesting!

First, what sort of website was it? Did the web master build it using CSS/HTML Or did the webmaster use a CMS. In both Scenarios, what were the proovable security measures that were built into the website by the webmaster

In my opinion, the website owner will most likely not know anything about website security and once the cpanel details have been handed to them, all they do is keep it in their mail somewhere!

The webmaster is responsible for the security of the website he built no matter how much was paid to him to build it. What he can do is offer to recover the website at no cost or if he cannot do it, find someone who can!

I don't see any way in which the website owner would agree to pay for a hacked site recovery! My thoughts!

Hacking a website may not necessarily come from the venerability of the content of the website, in some cases it comes through infiltration via the website host. In this scenario, should the webmaster be liable as well if the client is responsible for the hosting of the site?
Re: Who Pays For HACKED Website; Owner Or Webmaster? by yamakuza: 3:05am On Apr 17, 2013
ZinoFego: Hello Webmasters,

Please I need your advice on who bears the financial responsibilities or otherwise for the redevelopment of a website completed and approved by the client but later was hacked.

Thank you.

you mean you dont have a backup, and you are starting from scratch?

some people even go as far as providing copies on CDs or other [physical] media for their clients.

if you are charging for anything, it should be for [including] patches, not for a "redesign" of the same old site.

ZinoFego:

Hacking a website may not necessarily come from the venerability of the content of the website, in some cases it comes through infiltration via the website host. In this scenario, should the webmaster be liable as well if the client is responsible for the hosting of the site?

no. the client should contact the host to recover the site from their backups, or re-upload from the master copy you gave them, should their host not have a backup.

worst case, they'll nicely ask you to help reupload their site from the files you have on your system (if you havent deleted them). i dont see why they have to pay again for this.

even if you have deleted your own copy of the site, and your agreement/standards does not include providing a copy for the client, you can simply bill them for "site recovery", but this wont be as expensive as designing from scratch cos it wont be as time consuming.

1 Like

Re: Who Pays For HACKED Website; Owner Or Webmaster? by ZinoFego: 8:28am On Apr 17, 2013
@yamakuza: Thanks
Re: Who Pays For HACKED Website; Owner Or Webmaster? by Slyr0x: 3:15pm On Apr 17, 2013
ZinoFego:

Should security then be charged differently from the fees for developing the site? If that's the case, I'll take that agreement to mean a lifetime insurance of some sort..by that I mean, as long as the website is under the webmaster's management, he's liable for the security of the site.

Not totally correct. .

Yes, security should be charged differently. .but you are being charged NOT to completely stop hackers from breaking into your website BUT to make it harder for them to break in. .

There's no such thing as 100% security and both the client & the webmaster should understand this.

Also as long as there is an agreement between both parties, a case where the webmaster gets paid monthly/yearly for maintenance of the website, he IS responsible for whatever happens to the site.

ZinoFego:

If the webmaster is in charge of its maintenance, then YES, he should be held liable. If he's not, then he might agree at a Fee to help restore the site.
Re: Who Pays For HACKED Website; Owner Or Webmaster? by yamakuza: 5:30pm On Apr 17, 2013
ZinoFego:

Slyr0x:

If the webmaster is in charge of its maintenance, then YES, he should be held liable. If he's not, then he might agree at a Fee to help restore the site.

i believe that if the client chooses to host with a less secure host (most likely against the recommendations of the web designer/consultant), then the designer can not be held liable (or at fault) if an attack comes through the host, even if he has a maintenance agreement in place.

worst case, he'll just be required to help fix/replace the site.
Re: Who Pays For HACKED Website; Owner Or Webmaster? by Slyr0x: 5:54pm On Apr 17, 2013
yamakuza:
i believe that if the client chooses to host with a less secure host (most likely against the recommendations of the web designer/consultant), then the designer can not be held liable (or at fault) if an attack comes through the host, even if he has a maintenance agreement in place.

worst case, he'll just be required to help fix/replace the site.

True. .I was talking about the "restoration phase" of the hacked site. .as maintenance of a website includes saving backups atleast once/twice a month. .
Re: Who Pays For HACKED Website; Owner Or Webmaster? by databoy247(m): 12:09am On Apr 18, 2013
Plenty grammar angry angry
Re: Who Pays For HACKED Website; Owner Or Webmaster? by yamakuza: 9:28am On Apr 18, 2013
databoy247: Plenty grammar angry angry

yeah, until you find yourself in such a situation.

hopefully not!
Re: Who Pays For HACKED Website; Owner Or Webmaster? by ZinoFego: 10:08pm On Apr 18, 2013
databoy247: Plenty grammar angry angry

In the " PLENTY GRAMMAR" is much more to learn!!!
Re: Who Pays For HACKED Website; Owner Or Webmaster? by ZinoFego: 10:10pm On Apr 18, 2013
yamakuza:

yeah, until you find yourself in such a situation.

hopefully not!

Had been a victim of constant hacking and couldn't keep up and had to loose very promising clients. Better not to find oneself in such state.
Re: Who Pays For HACKED Website; Owner Or Webmaster? by yamakuza: 4:22am On Apr 19, 2013
ZinoFego:

Had been a victim of constant hacking and couldn't keep up and had to loose very promising clients. Better not to find oneself in such state.

the #1 point of entry (and also best place to get protection), is the host.

switching to a better (more secure/knowledgeable) hosting company would have helped, but it seems that choice isnt always up to you.
Re: Who Pays For HACKED Website; Owner Or Webmaster? by ZinoFego: 7:54am On Apr 19, 2013
yamakuza:

the #1 point of entry (and also best place to get protection), is the host.

switching to a better (more secure/knowledgeable) hosting company would have helped, but it seems that choice isnt always up to you.

Thank you.
Re: Who Pays For HACKED Website; Owner Or Webmaster? by ZinoFego: 9:26pm On Apr 19, 2013
ProEthicalHacka:
In information security which web application security is a part of ... All users have their duties you cant leave your responsibilty to the web hosting company.
You have to do your part and they have to do their also.

This applies people who said use inter switch or any other secured payement gateway the thing is like the PCI-DSS policy your application security will first be analyze for compliance to the security standards and policy before the allow you for online payment.

If they can deal with the web hosting company then why the need to analyxe your application.

http://cyberinfocts..com

I think I need a class on Cyber Security!
Re: Who Pays For HACKED Website; Owner Or Webmaster? by yamakuza: 10:11pm On Apr 19, 2013
ProEthicalHacka:
In information security which web application security is a part of ... All users have their duties you cant leave your responsibilty to the web hosting company.
You have to do your part and they have to do their also.

This applies people who said use inter switch or any other secured payement gateway the thing is like the PCI-DSS policy your application security will first be analyze for compliance to the security standards and policy before the allow you for online payment.

If they can deal with the web hosting company then why the need to analyxe your application.

http://cyberinfocts..com

i agree. thats why i said #1 i.e. numero uno

1 Like

Re: Who Pays For HACKED Website; Owner Or Webmaster? by TheWiseGuy(m): 1:01pm On Nov 23, 2013
all the quotes here are fair enough. As for me, it very important to educate your webmaster on the dangers of living he site details all over the internet. This can damage his entire account. If however, it is noted that the webmaster is a froud star and log in here and there carelessly, them he should cayy his own cross.
Re: Who Pays For HACKED Website; Owner Or Webmaster? by teemy(m): 12:05am On Nov 24, 2013
and the whole story of vulnerability would still repeat itself even if the client changes host a million times as long as a single tanwiji is flexing in his/her pc and no bot scan is carried out.

(1) (Reply)

For 500 Naira, I Will Convert Your Blog/Website To A Mobile App / Yandex Invalid Contact Error. help!!! / Get Your Dream Website From The Best Web Design Company At 8000 Naira Discount

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.