Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,700 members, 7,816,869 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 07:04 PM

What Is Terigion - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / What Is Terigion (5026 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Terigion by shinkafi(m): 2:44pm On May 11, 2006
Optician Doctor in the house, can u pls tell me the meaning of TERIGION and what are it side effect if someone do not want it scrap off?

Am wailting for you advise(s)
Re: What Is Terigion by Ano: 8:05pm On Jun 21, 2006
Actually it is called Pterygium(the P is silent) and it is an extra piece of skin that overlaps the cornea and stretches onto the pupil eventually causing decreased vision. Most commonly caused by long exposures to the sun. It can be very irritating and painful. The only way it can be totally removed is by surgery, but to decrease the irritation is by taking a prescribed steroid drop or a soothing artificial tear drop. smiley Hope this helps.
Re: What Is Terigion by esoneek(m): 1:00pm On Nov 09, 2006
pterygium is a fibrovascular degenerative growth of the sclera.it is associated with undue exposure to ultraviolet light and truely can only be dealt with (if disturbing)by surgery and radiotherapy . though there is a high rate of re -occurence.Another advice is that u shld try using sunshades when u go out.
Re: What Is Terigion by ajolayo(m): 12:30am On Nov 10, 2006
All the replies on the pterygium are right so I do not need to redefine it. It is ususally a wedged shaped fibrovascular degenerative growth of the conjuctiva. The problem about it is that it stretches(grows and encroaches) over the cornea. Now the cornea is meant to be clear and colourless. so what a pterygium does is to cause some kind of problems with vision either reduced vision, distorted vision or the likes.

Risk factors for developing it are: Prolonged exposure to sun, Sand, particles. So it is commoner in outdoor workers, farmers, welders and the likes.

Because of the high recurrence after surgery it is recommended that combination therapy be used to treat it. That is surgery and radiotherapy or surgery and chemotherapy.

It is better you do surgery and then combine with something. it is a minor procedure I assure you. (though has its own complications). see your Opthalmolgist for more info.

Do something as soon as you can because it would continue to grow if you do not.

I would be glad to answer any further comments.

(1) (Reply)

5 Problems That Users Of 'Agbo Jedi' (Local Concoction) Will Face / How Can I Get Rid Of This Dangerous Dark Burn Round My Eyes / COVID-19 Update For April 13 2021 In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.