Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,238 members, 7,839,260 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 03:50 PM

Credential Vs Potential - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Credential Vs Potential (6940 Views)

Thread For Auditors & Potential Auditors / Why Would A Potential Employer Ask This Question? (read) / 5 Worst Degrees With Lowest potential For Employment In nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Credential Vs Potential by nelxsantos(m): 4:53pm On May 03, 2013
sayso: Why don't our Youth Service Corps program be about skill acquisition,with that any graduate from Naija Uni will be qualified to contribute directly to economic development instead of waiting for an endless job.
@sayso. you just said it. cos thid 1 year of NYSC is just what i called a waste of time that should be a 1 year skill acquisition programme wre our graduates will have room to strictly practicalised what they spent 4/5yrs in the four walls of tertiary institution studying. i believe that will be a great thing to do.

1 Like

Re: Credential Vs Potential by OSAEI: 5:04pm On May 03, 2013
with ur talent and potential, u hv a better chance

1 Like

Re: Credential Vs Potential by Whobedatte(m): 5:19pm On May 03, 2013
Educative&informative! And this thread has only few comments/posts? But u see irrelivant threads hitting umpteeth comments. Nigerian youth needs lots of re-orientation!
Re: Credential Vs Potential by Youngmon3Y(m): 5:39pm On May 03, 2013
information sourced for and effectively used is knowledge and power simulltaneously....ever since i have been here,i have been seeing many life changing message,even though its a secondary source of information from technical point of view. I am a student of unilorin,studying mechanical engineering,buh i have flex for business,which i do anytime we are on break,it has been a part of me and i thank almighty ALLAH,he have been of tremendous help to me as a finance and pay my fee and all others...it good and informative being here...

1 Like

Re: Credential Vs Potential by DonaldYusuf(m): 8:32pm On May 03, 2013
@shady26. Responding to you in the same tone would be an act of immaturity on my part. You said the writeup is "beautiful nonsense". You are entitled to your opinion. It's obvious you read the post with the intention of criticizing it...i never said all graduates are unintelligent; i said there is a difference between being naturally intelligent and cramming to pass exams. If you think you are intelligent, then good for you.

Yes! I develop business plans; if you think that's not work, i will give you an assignment to carryout a feasibility study for a new business or product and prepare a report/business plan anytime you are ready.

Also, it is very true that i am a believer in "THINK AND GROW RICH". I don't believe in 'get rich quick' like you assumed. I am a strong believer in entrepreneurship and i know that is the way forward for Nigeria.
Re: Credential Vs Potential by DonaldYusuf(m): 8:37pm On May 03, 2013
sayso: Why don't our Youth Service Corps program be about skill acquisition,with that any graduate from Naija Uni will be qualified to contribute directly to economic development instead of waiting for an endless job.

That's the point!
Re: Credential Vs Potential by DonaldYusuf(m): 8:39pm On May 03, 2013
Sawadinho: my dear in naija it is neither credential nor potential it is CONNECTIONTIAL.......IM

I think that trend is changing...i know of people that are doing very well in their business and talents without any "connectiontial" like you called it.
Re: Credential Vs Potential by DonaldYusuf(m): 8:48pm On May 03, 2013
PrettySpicey: Unfortunately Mr Poster, neither Credential nor Potential rules in Nigeria.
The Master of the Labour market here is good old ''CONNECTIAL''.
You got that qualification, you got a good job ... Especially in the Civil service.

I think the trend is changing. You mustn't depend on "CONNECTIAL", Job or the civil service. What happened to your talent? Must you work in an office? If you are a good talker and expert in the art of persuasion, rather than look for a job why not start a PR Consulting firm or even become an MC? It is our mentality and over-confidence in 'paper' that is killing us.
Re: Credential Vs Potential by DonaldYusuf(m): 9:13pm On May 03, 2013
[quote author=shady26]
...All these think and grow rich people shaaa...I no blame you,running a cybercafe and writing business PROPOSALS FOR OTHER PEOPLE and you think you are so smart and intelligent...MITCHEEEEW!

Is Cybercafe all there is to Computer and Internet? This media you are on (Nairaland) is an example of an Internet business, yet it is not a cybercafe. I own and manage a Software development company registered with the corporate Affairs commission, and i have employees. Okay? And come to think of it...you think running a cybercafe business is joke? Business is not for kids but for MEN. So anyone you see who owns a business should be given maximum respect.

If you think you are very smart and developing a business proposal to you does not involve smarts, please let me give you an assignment to develop a business proposal for a project. Think and Grow Rich is one of the best books that have ever been written.

Maybe you are wired to be an employee. Usually such people have issues with entrepreneurship. The truth is not everyone is wired to be an entrepreneur, and not all talented people can take the courage to explore their talents. If you are one of such, just stick to your job so long as you love what you do. Cheers...
Re: Credential Vs Potential by Ezemmuo1: 11:46pm On May 03, 2013
Nashville: You may not like my advice, but I honestly do not think you should have married him. You should ask yourself why you married him. Was he cheating before marriage - be truthful? Were you getting older and desperate?

Truth is that you think you are better than your husband, that's why you had to mention how much more you earn. And he probably married you because you were very successful too and you were getting desperate. This happens all the time.

You guys need to have a heart to heart talk, and pray fervently, cos, from what you have described, both of you are already divorced but still living together probably for society sake.
GBAM!
Re: Credential Vs Potential by shady26(m): 1:09am On May 04, 2013
Donald Yusuf: @shady26. Responding to you in the same tone would be an act of immaturity on my part. You said the writeup is "beautiful nonsense". You are entitled to your opinion. It's obvious you read the post with the intention of criticizing it...i never said all graduates are unintelligent; i said there is a difference between being naturally intelligent and cramming to pass exams. If you think you are intelligent, then good for you.

Yes! I develop business plans; if you think that's not work, i will give you an assignment to carryout a feasibility study for a new business or product and prepare a report/business plan anytime you are ready.

Also, it is very true that i am a believer in "THINK AND GROW RICH". I don't believe in 'get rich quick' like you assumed. I am a strong believer in entrepreneurship and i know that is the way forward for Nigeria.

bros one of the very minute things I do regularly as part of my job is to analyze
products and benchmark them against other products before recommending it to. Or carry out feasibilty studies on a system say ONGUARD PKI against TDSI ACS and defend one before client upon which is based my design against the other(s).also FYI writing reports for every engineer is a compulsory habit,your business assignment or whatever will probably take me 4hrs topmost to come up with an idea(matter of fact I have many in my system I hv written long time ago. But the my question to you is,after developing business ideas,proposals or plans for people,why don't you implement some of them yourself and thereby create jobs while providing tangible example for your pupils(Nigerian Grads)?
Re: Credential Vs Potential by shady26(m): 1:10am On May 04, 2013
Donald Yusuf: @shady26. Responding to you in the same tone would be an act of immaturity on my part. You said the writeup is "beautiful nonsense". You are entitled to your opinion. It's obvious you read the post with the intention of criticizing it...i never said all graduates are unintelligent; i said there is a difference between being naturally intelligent and cramming to pass exams. If you think you are intelligent, then good for you.

bros one of the very minute things I do regularly as part of my job is to analyze
products and benchmark them against other products before recommending it to. Or carry out feasibilty studies on a system say ONGUARD PKI against TDSI ACS and defend one before client upon which is based my design against the other(s).also FYI writing reports for every engineer is a compulsory habit,your business assignment or whatever will probably take me 4hrs topmost to come up with an idea(matter of fact I have many in my system I hv written long time ago. But the my question to you is,after developing business ideas,proposals or plans for people,why don't you implement some of them yourself and thereby create jobs while providing tangible example for your pupils(Nigerian Grads)?
Re: Credential Vs Potential by shady26(m): 1:11am On May 04, 2013

Re: Credential Vs Potential by shady26(m): 1:13am On May 04, 2013

Re: Credential Vs Potential by shady26(m): 1:22am On May 04, 2013
Dear OP I have nothing personal against you but just the school of thought you represent shown by your post.
About the business idea thing for graduates,a year between my switch in career from my foray in the education sector and to my present job,I took a hiatus during which time I developed 2 value added services,I wanted to open shop and run my services myself but being faced with problems peculiar to our harsh business clime not usually explained in your motivational books by american authors, I took the option of selling those ideas to MTN N after protecting them. My point is this,I have tasted both ends of the stick and I can tell you most of the comments you are getting here on NL accusing Nigerian grads of not helping themselves(similar to what our politicians accuse after ruining the economy)are insensitive and probably coming from housewives and fortunate dads grownup boys who have never tried any such things in their lives. If all of you advising the youths to create jobs for themselves did so yourselves,Nigeria would not be talking of unemployment today. But if you are sitting in some office as an employee and blabbin how the youths don't want to help themselves,I say SHUT UP!
However OP you have a point but you need to balance it well. There r 2 types of entrepreneurs,starters and supporters,they r not all cut out from the same block.

1 Like

Re: Credential Vs Potential by ponana(m): 7:44am On May 04, 2013
Nice thread plus I appreciate @shady26 side of the discussion as well. Its easier said then done even though we know that applies to everything in life. A lot of folks know all of these stuffs about life and success but do they really have what it takes to forge ahead to actualize it? It sure entails a lot of discipline and consistency on ones part plus His infinte mercy and Grace.
What I feel from my own of view is that being fufilled as an individual in what one does is the ultimate (even though we know we have to consider others around us, because the breadwinner of the house who wants to embark on a journey of self discovery and fufilment should think of the impact on his dependants as well). May He who guides and knows what's good for us direct us to the correct path.

1 Like

Re: Credential Vs Potential by DonaldYusuf(m): 10:21am On May 04, 2013
shady26: Dear OP I have nothing personal against you but just the school of thought you represent shown by your post.
About the business idea thing for graduates,a year between my switch in career from my foray in the education sector and to my present job,I took a hiatus during which time I developed 2 value added services,I wanted to open shop and run my services myself but being faced with problems peculiar to our harsh business clime not usually explained in your motivational books by american authors, I took the option of selling those ideas to MTN N after protecting them. My point is this,I have tasted both ends of the stick and I can tell you most of the comments you are getting here on NL accusing Nigerian grads of not helping themselves(similar to what our politicians accuse after ruining the economy)are insensitive and probably coming from housewives and fortunate dads grownup boys who have never tried any such things in their lives. If all of you advising the youths to create jobs for themselves did so yourselves,Nigeria would not be talking of unemployment today. But if you are sitting in some office as an employee and blabbin how the youths don't want to help themselves,I say SHUT UP!
However OP you have a point but you need to balance it well. There r 2 types of entrepreneurs,starters and supporters,they r not all cut out from the same block.

That's very good! I'm glad that you have tasted both sides, but i want to tell you that lots of Nigerian graduates have never tasted the option of self employment. let me tell you a story.

When i was in my 300L in the university, i and two friends founded an Event planning business, registered it with the CAC. But you will be so shocked to know that anytime we get into the laboratory for lectures we were being mocked by our course mates...they saw it as a waste of time.

But that didn't stop us; we developed a proposal for the BENUE STATE CARNIVAL and went straight to the state commissioner for Culture. The idea was too good, hence it gave us access to government, and considering the fact that we were young. We followed up this project and everything was moving great.

Everything about us changed- our dressing and attitude. We appeared successful and acted that way. The response from our course mates changed. Some came and asked to be offered job positions in our company, IDEL Events.
We became known as "the entrepreneurs".

It's been three years since we left school; today we get calls from former course mates to help them get jobs. But unfortunately we can't employ everyone. My comedian friend i talked about in my second post was my course mate in school. He started his comedy career in the university and people said he was not 'serious' with his life and academics; but today he is doing very well and those same people call him to ask for jobs or connections- his career has linked him with lots of prominent Nigerians.

It is very true that some grads have tried entrepreneurship, but i can tell you that many have their lives dependent on that 'paper'. And some of them are very talented at other things other than what they studied in school. Also, it is very true that entrepreneurship is not easy but it is possible. Like i said business is not for kids but for MEN.

I started my first business at 21 when i was in my first year in the university because i knew the situation of the labour market, and i wanted to express my potential. We need to change our mentality.

Government has a part to play, but we also have to help ourselves. Any politician who sits in his office and say Nigerian grads don't want to help themselves, should do what you said- SHUT UP! I appreciate your very intelligent contributions to this thread. You indeed sound intelligent.
Re: Credential Vs Potential by dulaman: 10:59am On May 04, 2013
@Shady26. Abeg and please can i be an intern under you? I need to learn those things badly as am thinking towards that line in the future. Thanks.
Re: Credential Vs Potential by DonaldYusuf(m): 11:11am On May 04, 2013
SELL YOUR TALENT.
One of the ways you can become an entrepreneur is by Commercializing your Talent. Selling your talent simply means giving it a commercial value by packaging and offering it to the market.

When you sell your talent, it becomes a job for you and at that point you can be called an entrepreneur. For example, AY comedian is an entrepreneur exploring his talent as a Comedian. He is in business (Show Biz), selling his service and product (comedy VCDs).

One question that is often asked is “Is everyone talented”? Well, before I answer that question, I’d like us to have a clear understanding of what talent is.

According to the Oxford Advanced Learners Dictionary, talent is “A natural ability to do something well”. From this definition there are three basic things that must be present for anything to be called talent.

The three things are Natural, Ability and Well. At this point we are going to look at each of these terms independently and try to understand them. Watch this!

The term ‘Natural’ as used in this context refers to something that is innate or 'follow-come' with a person. Natural means that it is not artificial or it is not created by man, but created by God and deposited in man at the time of creation.

Ability is derived from the word Able. It is the capacity to do something. It is that strength a person has in doing a particular activity. If you can do something, it means that you have the ability to do that thing.

Abilities come in two broad categories, natural or learned ability. Natural abilities are inborn- they come with you from birth. They were placed inside you by God. These are abilities you have without necessarily being taught.

While Learned Abilities are those abilities you get by being taught. For example, learning to drive a car; a good driver is not a talented driver but a skillful one; there is a difference between skills and talent. A talent is always a skill but a skill is not always a talent.

Doing something well simply means you are very good at that thing. A good comedian is one that can deliver well. Likewise, Cristiano Ronaldo is a very good footballer because he plays the game of football very well.

But note that it is not everything that you can do well that is a talent. If you can eat very well, is that a talent? Certainly, no!

Now bringing these three terms together, it means that before you can call an act a talent, it must be Natural or innate to the person performing it, the person must have the ability to do that thing and do it well. Talent is simply a natural ability to do something well.

It is that thing you do naturally with ease; that thing that appears difficult to other people, but to you it’s fun. A talented singer sings without stress, but with ease. For a person like me that has the natural ability to write, writing is fun, but I tell you lots of people hate writing and find it a great difficulty.

According to research, there are about seven classes of abilities [talent], and with different areas of expression. These abilities could also be referred to as “Intelligences”; hence a talented singer can be called an intelligent singer.

Okay, to answer the question “is everyone talented?” the truth is every human being on the face of the earth is intelligent (talented) at something irrespective of their general IQ measurement. Everybody including you has a natural ability (talent)- no man is born empty.

You shouldn’t worry whether you have any abilities or not, because you actually do. Your concern should be on how to discover that natural ability and sell it. Ask yourself what is that thing that you could do so well with ease. That is your talent!

Let’s take a look at the 7 basic categories of intelligences, so you could find out the one you posses and consciously work towards creating a job out of it.
Watch this!

1. Kinesthetic intelligence- finds expression in Sports, Acting, Dancing, Surgery.

2. Musical intelligence- finds expression in Music (Singing, Production, Directing, etc).

3. Entrepreneurial/Business Intelligence- finds expression in Entrepreneurship/Business (the flair and passion for business and commercial activities).

4. Linguistic Intelligence- finds expression in Writing and Public Speaking(eg. the late Chinua Achebe, Wole Soyinka, Chimamanda Adichie, etc).

5. Interpersonal Intelligence- finds expression in Leadership and Human Relations(ability to understand others and be able to act based on that understanding). This kind of people are very good at public relations.

6. Logical/Mathematical Intelligence- finds expression in Science/Technology, Logical analysis, Programming, Math, etc. People like Seun of Nairaland and Mark Zuckerberg belong in this category.

7. Spatial-Visual Intelligence- finds expression in Arts, Crafts, Graphic designing, Graffiti, etc.

Where do you belong? Definitely you belong in a category! Nobody can claim not to have at least one talent (intelligence). No man is an ignoramus!

Henry Ford, the founder of the Ford Motor Corporation was once called an ignoramus (i.e. a person that does not know anything, what we call ‘block head’ in Nigeria). But those people that called him an ignoramus were actually wrong.

This is a man that could design cars; he built the world’s first conveyor belt in the Ford factory which makes production of cars in large number possible and faster. Ford built a successful global corporation, the Ford Motor Corporation. They forgot that it is possible not to be schooled and still be intelligent. Ford though not schooled, still had Entrepreneurial/business intelligence and logical/mathematical intelligence.

Look at the list above again, do a personal evaluation of yourself, find out your strengths and that thing you do so well with ease and fun. That could just be your talent.

Take a pen and writing pad, go to a quiet place where you can really think without being disturbed or distracted. Ask yourself these questions “What’s that thing you do so well with fun; what’s that thing you do that your friends and people around always tell you “guy you are so good in this”!

What’s that thing that gives you a deep feeling of excitement when you see someone doing it? Providing the right answers to these questions will give you a clue to your talent. Enjoy the process!

3 Likes

Re: Credential Vs Potential by EmmyDe25(m): 3:06pm On May 04, 2013
Megaxy: Recently, i told one of my friends in school that all we do here is cram some things, put them down in the paper for the examiner and come next semester we format and start cramming another set of courses, and at the end we end up with one paper that we are now graduates. Please what for? Practicals in our schools are so poor. Majority of students dont realy understand all this theory, we just put them in our head and send it back to the sender (lecturers). As far as im concern, our system of education here doesnt make sense to me. Imagine a mechanical engineering graduate that can not recognise an electric motor.
Nigerian youth please lets wake up from our slumber. Its not too late for us to invent. We can contribute to this fast growing technology.
U just spoke my mind. could rememba a girl back in my undergraduate days, who graduated with d third best result in my class... Dis girl can cram a whole textbook for exam- she even cram till the very last minute of enterin an exam hall. But when u involve ds girl in other field of discuss: current affairs, economy, entertainment, education, music, politics and d rest. she doesnt know a thing.
We just keep chunking out graduates who have no practical knowledge of the course they studied in school... just some overrated papers. And this can be rightly attributed to our dead education system.

1 Like

Re: Credential Vs Potential by Nobody: 3:46pm On May 04, 2013
August 2011,
The Group Managing Director of the Nigeria National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC), Engr. Austen Oniwon on Monday lamented the dwindling standard of education in Nigeria just as he said 80 percent job seekers failed the corporation’s current recruitment test.
Oniwon, who was represented by the corporation’s Group General Manager (GGM), Group Public Affairs Unit, Dr. Levi Ajuonuma, at the grand finale of the 2011 NNPC annual quiz competition in Abuja called for the review of the nation’s education curriculum in order to halt the rot in the sector.
The GMD said: “The recent mass failure of candidates in WAEC and NECO exams nationwide makes the call for an urgent surgical review of our schools system more urgent than envisaged.
“Also our current experience in the ongoing recruitment exercise where candidates with the so-called 2:1 certificates post less than 20 percent score line in some cases has heightened our apprehension about the lack of functionality in our education format. Over dependent on certificates is not the best. Over 80% of the candidates that wrote the NNPC recruitment exams failed,” he added.
He advised students to tailor their careers towards valuable courses.
Oniwon told the competitors to embrace hardwork if they want to work in places like NNPC.
He, however, said “I want to use this opportunity to call for an educational system that is functional and skill-based that can fill the skill gap that Nigeria has recorded.”

The Above was copied from another forum.

Mind you he is not the first to point this out, on a recent discuss with an HR personnel of Bakerhughes, he said and I quote " 90% of 2.1 graduates are dumb" please this is not to belittle your class of degree, what he was just pointing out was the fact that based on paper qualification, those that are expected to be exceptional have nothing to show for it.

The fact remains that Nigerian youths need to change their mindset, whether you end up starting up your own business, or building a career in any field, the fact remains that our school system cannot guarantee us proper education anymore, we must look inwards and bring out that which will set us apart.

Our parents have failed in their duty to give us the much needed informal education, hence youths now rely on media and social networks to define their priorities.
Nigerian youths need positive mentors.

Let us understand the true meaning of education,

educating: the imparting and acquiring of knowledge through teaching and learning, especially at a school or similar institution
"After all, what is education but a process by which a person begins to learn how to learn?" (Peter Ustinov Dear Me 1977

Please note the words imparting and acquiring, so like Donald said, the area where you have acquired knowledge, not grades, is where you are truly educated in.....

God help us all.

1 Like

Re: Credential Vs Potential by chessguru1(m): 12:31am On May 05, 2013

U struck a nerve when you relegated the mechanical engr to a mechanic. I understand your post, but if u know nothing about engineering, please don't claim you do, cos you sound pretty flat to those of us in the profession.
Its almost like saying a doctor is incompetent simply becos he can't operate an xray machine!
Am a chemical engineer, but I can actually say that automobile engineering is J̶̲̥̅̊u̶̲̥̅̊S̤̥̈̊τ̲̣̣̥ a specialized subset of mechanical engineering.
This is not to say that there are not a lot of half baked engr graduates out there (every profession will have its mediocres)
None the less, I agree with a few of the points you raised, J̶̲̥̅̊u̶̲̥̅̊S̤̥̈̊τ̲̣̣̥ be careful when you venture in to areas you have limited background on when trying to present your points wink
Re: Credential Vs Potential by titigbadamosi: 10:01am On May 05, 2013
Great thread,it just opened M̶̲̥̅γ̲̣̣̥ eyes.ℓ̊ can now improve on M̶̲̥̅γ̲̣̣̥ abilities.Great job op

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Richest Lawyers In Nigeria.top 10 Best Lawyers In Nigeria / Office Politics: Must You Play? / Is Medical Sales Rep A Good Career Or Job?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.