Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,227 members, 7,818,770 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:51 AM

How Long Does It Take To Get A Job In The US - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How Long Does It Take To Get A Job In The US (15947 Views)

Driving From Ibadan To Abuja. How Long Does It Take? / How Long Does Green Card Application Processing Take ? / How Long Does It Take To Travel From Lagos To Ph By Road? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Long Does It Take To Get A Job In The US by justwise(m): 3:32pm On Apr 23, 2013
omega25red: Don't you just love it when someone who seeks advice gets info from everyone but simply picks out and praises the one that encourages his potential blunder. grin grin grin

Nigerians sha we only care about the people who agree with us no matter what the issue or circumstance may be. Then you turn around and say the witches or the devil is chasing. It is good to go after your dream but being prepared is very important. People have done what you are planning to do and they have succeeded yes but the reality is, the govt have closed or planning to close the different loop holes that you maybe thinking of exploiting. Anyway no one fails in Mr. experience's class everyone graduates grin

grin grin grin

2 Likes

Re: How Long Does It Take To Get A Job In The US by israel007: 3:45pm On Apr 23, 2013
Step84: Pls I want to find out how long does it take to find a job in the US. I just got a Visa to stay in the US for 2 years and am looking at the possibilities of getting a job there. Pls advice me
Re: How Long Does It Take To Get A Job In The US by bigfrancis21: 3:47pm On Apr 23, 2013
Step84:

Bros thanks for taking the pains to read my story, I really need your advice on this; I have a girl that we have been in a relationship for a very long time (10 yrs) and we planned to get married one day, God willing. Now I want to travel to the US which I know I will stay there based on the options you highlighted above. I want to ask, will it still be possible for us to get married, how can I go about achieving that and how soon would that be, if possible? I thank you and everyone for your useful contributions.

There are two likely scenarios for you:
1) Getting married here in Nigeria before leaving and after getting your green card, which is likely to come in at least 5 years, you file for your spouse to join you. Now, the question is, can you endure living apart for that long?

Note that your lover's joining you is not the problem. The main hurdle is obtaining the green card first very fast and once that is achieved, the rest of the work will not be difficult to achieve.

2) Not getting married and leaving the country with the hope of returning someday to do the marriage and bring your lover over. Okay, the possibility there is that while over there you are likely to fall in love with someone else (a citizen maybe) and, who knows, get married. This then means that you abandon your lover in Nigeria. Now, do you feel this is option is better for you? Another side to this is that your lover may not be willing to wait that long for you and may decide to settle down with someone else.

This is a serious life decision you have to make and I suggest you weigh your options very well before making one.

2 Likes

Re: How Long Does It Take To Get A Job In The US by imperiouxx(m): 4:33pm On Apr 23, 2013
omega25red: Don't you just love it when someone who seeks advice gets info from everyone but simply picks out and praises the one that encourages his potential blunder. grin grin grin

Nigerians sha we only care about the people who agree with us no matter what the issue or circumstance may be. Then you turn around and say the witches or the devil is chasing. It is good to go after your dream but being prepared is very important. People have done what you are planning to do and they have succeeded yes but the reality is, the govt have closed or planning to close the different loop holes that you maybe thinking of exploiting. Anyway no one fails in Mr. experience's class everyone graduates grin

Haba! This is hot! grin

@Step-step side 2 side,

Bigfrancis gave you outline of what can be done in US and he also added that it's not as easy as said. Some other people also gave you good pros and cons of the outline. I'll like you to hold on to those advice. And if you like to be like someone that reaches judgment throne before realizing the truth....... Hmmmm! omega25red's statement is far from hate.

Flash back of all advice:

You can't step into US overnight on visiting and marry an american the next day without some months record of communications. If you are changing your status from visiting to student, you'll have to go back to Nigeria to get things straightened. If you're on visiting in the US, you're not expected to work legally. Don't mess this up because US don't forget things - they have record for everything both within and outside their country. If you picked the study option, you better start hunting for school right from Nigeria and get all your credentials ready before leaving Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: How Long Does It Take To Get A Job In The US by Step84(m): 4:52pm On Apr 23, 2013

Its not what you think Bros. I appreciate everyone here and I pay serious attention to every advise here. Thanks bro and one love
Re: How Long Does It Take To Get A Job In The US by Originalsly: 6:42pm On Apr 23, 2013
Poster...it is now obvious that you are more interested in staying in the US than getting a job as your thread made us believe. If you double talk like this to the immigration officer I can guarantee you they would direct you an interview room and in the end you may never plant a foot on American soil....plane, interview room...prisoner transport van and they would warehouse you dor monrhs or years in a federal detention center.Look well before you leap.

2 Likes

Re: How Long Does It Take To Get A Job In The US by Nobody: 3:26am On Apr 25, 2013
Let me cut it straight with the OP, go visit the US on your visa... stay for a few weeks, enjoy the sights and GO HOME. there is no point looking back 5yrs from now and biting your fingers in regret after having wasted your time and still back at square one.
The immigration laws look likely to change in the next yr and that means tougher restrictions. Infact one of the restrictions is that even as a US citizen, you can no longer file any form of resident visa for your siblings over the age of 18. I can imagine that US citizens married to illegal immigrants will now have to go through hell to file papers for them.

My brother, dont waste your time... your best bet to come and stay here is to go through the school route. Your HND is useless.
Re: How Long Does It Take To Get A Job In The US by biafranqueen: 4:21am On Apr 25, 2013
The only jobs you will get is within the Nigerian community and you will make enough to pay your cell phone bill and buy food stuffs because Nigerian food stuffs is very expensive. Most of the credit card fraud boys have come over here in this same fashion and end up getting deported after being caught. Some people use a friends SSN to get a job those are the lucky ones. If you make a 100,000 naira a month you will be lucky. Your housing will cost half and that is renting a room in most states like New york, cali atlanta. Cell phone is $50.00 with the cheaper companies which is 8,000. If you work in a restaurant at least your food will be paid. Transportation will cost you about 10,ooo a month. The list of bills goes on and on. It's not worth it. It is better to find business to do in Nigeria bringing something from America and selling they will keep your Visa open maybe you'll get lucky in greencard marriage

1 Like

Re: How Long Does It Take To Get A Job In The US by Step84(m): 7:22am On Apr 26, 2013

Thanks a great deal bros
Re: How Long Does It Take To Get A Job In The US by Step84(m): 7:25am On Apr 26, 2013
israel007:

them dey advice you now you no go hear. seems you have a plan up your sleeves and you are holding back. well since you have your visa already (which I have been wondering how you got 2 years visit visa) go there and see for yourself. you may be lucky and get your papers and you just might get stuck. either way, na your choice. since you claim to have visa already, arrange with someone from here and get married. make you no go end your life. again, na your choice
Since I don't have any negative plan and its just to seek for a better life, I think there is no crime in trial. God will be with me. Thanks a lot
Re: How Long Does It Take To Get A Job In The US by Step84(m): 7:28am On Apr 26, 2013
Gbenge 77: Legitimacy is crucial bro.The State Department has an unwritten rule known as the 30/60 day rule.If you wanna legitimise your stay,be sure not to contravene it.What the rule means that if you intend to change your status from tourist to student ,or any other status,you musnt do so within 30/60 days ,because that would serve as an indictment.You dont want the DHS to suspect foul play.So,your best bet might be switching your status to a student,or make efforts to get married(after 30/60 days).That ,I reckon,is the best way to legalise your stay,helping you to stay legitimate.Ruminate on these.
Thanks for your useful contribution. Pls bros I will appreciate if you throw more light on this info
Re: How Long Does It Take To Get A Job In The US by Step84(m): 7:31am On Apr 26, 2013
omega25red: I have to say that this has been one of the best threads i have seen on NL. I wish this would be put on the front page because not only did people give good advice, they also gave different scenarios. There were no insults or belittling of the poster. This thready is a breath of fresh air smiley

poster the folks have given you all the info you need. It is really difficult for an illegal immigrant to live out here especially a Nigerian. Our people do not help each other because most of those willing to help have been burnt in one way or the other. Even church people might allow you to stay for a month at their home before they kick you out.

Getting married to a citizen is another head ache. Gone are the days when our people used to do that for a flat fee. Now the woman or man will constantly hit you up for cash because people know what the deal is and they will gladly tell you they wont go to the interviews if you don't give them money.

Going to a shelter is another head ache. I worked in the shelter system in NYC years ago and i know from experience that they will kick you out of the shelter after being there for a long time. The purpose of a shelter is to house you while they help you get back on your feet. To get on your feet you will need your papers. This way they can apply for benefits etc. With no papers they will say they can't help you and eventually you will be asked to leave or produce papers. I have seen that happen.

working off the books might be good for a short while until the business owner tells you he has no money this week for you which will make you mad, but you can't report it to anyone because you have no papers. There are business owners who intentionally hire illegals just because they know they can do such to them.

Getting a lawyer to "adjust your status" is another thing. Most lawyers probably all get a fee every time they talk to you about your case. So if you go to their office you will pay, if they file papers for you, you will pay if they go to court with you, you will surly pay (this one na personal experience grin ) you will need to even watch out for some lawyers who will tell you about all the different papers they can file on your behalf because they know they will charge you a fee, and with the fake hope they will keep stringing you along instead of being real with you.

there are is so much you have to deal with as an illegal immigrant in the U.S. I pray you open you ears and heart to listen to some of the stuff on this site. If you do decide to go for it i wish you the best.
Am so grateful for your advice God bless
Re: How Long Does It Take To Get A Job In The US by dustydee: 7:49pm On Apr 26, 2013
Step84:
Since I don't have any negative plan and its just to seek for a better life, I think there is no crime in trial. God will be with me. Thanks a lot
Overstaying your visa is an offence/crime, therefore you have negative intentions.

2 Likes

Re: How Long Does It Take To Get A Job In The US by Nobody: 4:59pm On Apr 27, 2013
Step84:

working on a visitors visa is a crime. You already lied on your application for that visa category.

1 Like

Re: How Long Does It Take To Get A Job In The US by israel007: 9:39am On May 01, 2013
It takes same day. All u need to do is send obama aan email that u are coming and ur job will be ready and waiting.

They have job for everyone visiting

2 Likes

Re: How Long Does It Take To Get A Job In The US by similoluwa123: 7:10pm On May 09, 2013
u cannot work with a 2 years visit visa. You need green card or work authorization to work hear. Dont let any1 fool u, things are not like b4 hear again.

1 Like

Re: How Long Does It Take To Get A Job In The US by Step84(m): 3:20pm On Jun 29, 2013
Allohrandy: @ poster, Life is not easy for Greencard resident in America and it is worse for an illegal or overstay Immigrant in America.. things are really difficult in American and it will be almost impossible to get a good job without having the green-card unless you wanna be involve in illicit businesses like selling drugs or 419..The only jobs you can get is menial jobs and you wont be able to pay your bills, rent or save money with menial jobs .you cant even apply for a bank account or a drivers licenses without your paper .. Without having the right documents, The US of A is a really cold place to live in for a Nigerian because nobody is going to offer help you. I know of a Nigeria in LA that also came in with a visitor visa and the only job he could find is a waiter job in a Restaurant, he doesn't get paid by the owner of the restaurant and he only depend on tips from the customers.. So I think its better you stay in Nigeria and get your green card before coming down to the States.. its far better to live in Nigeria than to live in America as an illegal or overstay immigrant
"So I think its better you stay in Nigeria and get your green card before coming down to the States.."
Do you know what you are saying at all? If you don't have any useful contribution, I think nobody will blame you if you keep quiet instead of misinforming someone in need of advise.
Re: How Long Does It Take To Get A Job In The US by euromoney(f): 6:19pm On Jun 29, 2013
Step84:
"So I think its better you stay in Nigeria and get your green card before coming down to the States.."
Do you know what you are saying at all? If you don't have any useful contribution, I think nobody will blame you if you keep quiet instead of misinforming someone in need of advise.
@Op,you still never travel?and why d insult?.
Re: How Long Does It Take To Get A Job In The US by Nobody: 6:27pm On Jun 29, 2013
Step84:

the OP you just insulted is right. By the way, as things stand... a new immigration law will be in place by the time you make it here which will effectively be far more efficient at tracking you via computer systems and will make overstaying a visa a crime. E-verify will now be mandatory for all businesses by law and you will not even be able to work under the table again.

1 Like

Re: How Long Does It Take To Get A Job In The US by fadinus(m): 10:03pm On Jun 29, 2013
please is it possible for a us citizen to file for a niece presently in the us.
Re: How Long Does It Take To Get A Job In The US by fadinus(m): 10:05pm On Jun 29, 2013
please is it possible for a us citizen to file for a niece presently in the us on a visit visa.
Re: How Long Does It Take To Get A Job In The US by Nobody: 2:19am On Jun 30, 2013
Step84: Pls I want to find out how long does it take to find a job in the US. I just got a Visa to stay in the US for 2 years and am looking at the possibilities of getting a job there. Pls advice me

making it in the U.S as an illegal is not that difficult at all....it depends on certain things.....if you have families

that are doing well....and the location.....if you come to Texas you will be alright.....I dont know what everybody else

is yabaing about....
my cousin came here a year ago on a 6 months visitation visa...he is still here working making

money and he just married a U.S citizen.....so if you dont know anyone here.....you will be in a world of hurt...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Long Does It Take To Get A Job In The US by Nobody: 2:46am On Jun 30, 2013
fadinus: please is it possible for a us citizen to file for a niece presently in the us.

Yes but will take forever. If the new immigration law takes effect, it will no longer be possible.
Re: How Long Does It Take To Get A Job In The US by fadinus(m): 10:11am On Jun 30, 2013
davidylan:

Yes but will take forever. If the new immigration law takes effect, it will no longer be possible.
oh! but will the niece have to remain the us till the filling pulls through.
Re: How Long Does It Take To Get A Job In The US by Step84(m): 11:11pm On Aug 17, 2013
Mr knowitall.:

making it in the U.S as an illegal is not that difficult at all....it depends on certain things.....if you have families

that are doing well....and the location.....if you come to Texas you will be alright.....I dont know what everybody else

is yabaing about....
my cousin came here a year ago on a 6 months visitation visa...he is still here working making

money and he just married a U.S citizen.....so if you dont know anyone here.....you will be in a world of hurt...

@Mr knowitall, thanks for your encouragement. I got someone to stay with at Hawaii and I bliv God for a better propsect. Thanks a great deal as I feed you back as it goes!
Re: How Long Does It Take To Get A Job In The US by Step84(m): 11:24pm On Aug 17, 2013
bigfrancis21:

There are two likely scenarios for you:
1) Getting married here in Nigeria before leaving and after getting your green card, which is likely to come in at least 5 years, you file for your spouse to join you. Now, the question is, can you endure living apart for that long?

Note that your lover's joining you is
not the problem. The main hurdle is obtaining the green card first very fast and once that is achieved, the rest of the work will not be difficult to achieve.

2) Not getting married and leaving the country with the hope of returning someday to do the marriage and bring your lover over. Okay, the possibility there is that while over there you are likely to fall in love with someone else (a citizen maybe) and, who knows, get married. This then means that you abandon your lover in Nigeria. Now, do you feel this is option is better for you? Another side to this is that your lover may not be willing to wait that long for you and may decide to settle down with someone else.

This is a serious life decision you have to make and I suggest you weigh your options very well before making one.

@bigfrancis21 its been a long time, I really once again appreciate ur effort here. This decision I have to make to better our both lives and I bliv with God on our side things will work out fine IJN! Thanks a lot. I will definitely feed u back as it goes.
Re: How Long Does It Take To Get A Job In The US by bigfrancis021: 12:46am On Aug 18, 2013
Step84:

@bigfrancis21 its been a long time, I really once again appreciate ur effort here. This decision I have to make to better our both lives and I bliv with God on our side things will work out fine IJN! Thanks a lot. I will definitely feed u back as it goes.

You're welcome bro. Keep us updated.
Re: How Long Does It Take To Get A Job In The US by Nobody: 8:28am On Aug 18, 2013
Step84:
@op, if you can afford to pay for America travel ticket, I'm certain the same amount will be enough to start a business in naija. instead of signing yourself up for suffer-head why not try Canada and Australia?.
Re: How Long Does It Take To Get A Job In The US by Nobody: 8:34am On Aug 18, 2013
Step84:

Pls stop using the name of God to justify a crime. You are breaking the law and what makes it worse is that you are doing it consciously. If you go to the redeem church in the UK, there is no day they don't raise prayer on visa issues and the pastors know that they have members staying illegally yet they still cover for them. God does not support breaking the law.

3 Likes

Re: How Long Does It Take To Get A Job In The US by kaleidoscope: 11:19am On Aug 18, 2013
This has to be the best thread I have come across so far on NL.....straight to the point advice, devoid of unecessary insults, sarcasms and semantics... Big up guys..

1 Like

Re: How Long Does It Take To Get A Job In The US by Step84(m): 12:33pm On Aug 18, 2013
honey86:
@op, if you can afford to pay for America travel ticket, I'm certain the same amount will be enough to start a business in naija. instead of signing yourself up for suffer-head why not try Canada and Australia?.

Thank you, I don't knw anyone in either Aus or Can. Atleast I can always find my way in the States cos I have folks there.
Re: How Long Does It Take To Get A Job In The US by Step84(m): 12:36pm On Aug 18, 2013
honey86:
Pls stop using the name of God to justify a crime. You are breaking the law and what makes it worse is that you are doing it consciously. If you go to the redeem church in the UK, there is no day they don't raise prayer on visa issues and the pastors know that they have members staying illegally yet they still cover for them. God does not support breaking the law.

Pls stop judging me cos you are not God!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Sudan Crisis: Nigerians Stranded At Egyptian Border — FG / Two Escape Death As Car, Truck Collide In Lagos / Attractions To Visit In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.