Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,901 members, 7,814,048 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:30 AM

Premium Times, Dishonest Times - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Premium Times, Dishonest Times (1625 Views)

How Jonathan Appointed Suspected Serial Thief To Head Radio Nig - Premium Times / Our Party Leaders Are Fraudulent, Shameful And Dishonest – Yakubu Dogara Group / Polls: Only Dishonest Politicians Need Fear Card Readers- The Sun Newspapers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Premium Times, Dishonest Times by Nobody: 5:27am On Apr 22, 2013
THE Internet-based Premium Times was winging on March 6, 2013 about top appointments denied its sponsors of the Northern establishment. It mentioned four portfolios held down by Ndigbo and concluded that Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala, the Coordinating Minister of the Economy and Finance Minister, was “Biafranising” Federal positions.

According to the prejudicial write-up by one Yushau Shuaibu, Dr. Okonjo-Iweala’s justification for ceding the appointments to her people is their vaunted qualification. If the piece were not aimed at promoting opprobrium against the government by portraying the Finance Minister as less than patriotic, the article would have lent credence to its insinuation of bad faith by discrediting the claimed qualifications of the relevant appointees. It did nothing of the sort.

The positions headed by Ndigbo which the ghostwriters of the PremiumTimes find intolerable are the headships of the Asset Management Corporation of Nigeria (AMCON), the Sovereign Wealth Fund (SWF),the Nigeria Communication Commission (NCC) and the National Pension Commission(PENCOM). Now, the Igbo ladycurrently at the PENCOM is there only in acting capacity, just as Ben Dikki from Kebbi State is the acting DG of the Bureau for Public Enterprises(BPE). If Dikki’s place at the BPE, which is responsible for privatisation, is accepted as normal, why should the world be turned upside down simply because an Igbo lady is the acting head of PENCOM? Again, PENCOM is not under the Ministry of Finance.

In what capacity can the Finance Minister have railroaded PENCOM’s acting head into office? Further, Dr. Okonjo-Iweala joined President Jonathan’s administration in August 2011. The Igbo heads of AMCON and NCC had been in their respective offices long before that date! Was Yushua Shuaibu suggesting in his inflammatory article that the Finance Minister was dictating her kinsfolk into Federal offices even before she was sworn in as Minister?

This campaign of injustice against Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala has gone completely out of hand. I do not know this woman personally. I have never met her. As a matter of fact, meeting her is not my strongest desire. She is not even from my home state. But fair should be fair. Detractors should stop impugning her hard-earned integrity. They should stop pillorying a patriot delivering honest service to the fatherland. How could she have been at the World Bank and at the same time “Biafranised” Federal appointments?

Now this is the true position.Premium Times, in their true spirit, have laid patently false charges against the Finance Minister, accused her unwarrantedly of nepotism, in order to attain their deep-seated intention of demonising the administration of President Goodluck Jonathan.

All those accused of being unjustifiably appointed are, on the contrary, more than qualified for the positions they hold, positions handed them in the fulfillment of duediligence, proper competitive interviews and consensual agreement by the relevant appointment boards.

Why is it so wrong and objectionable that four seasoned and excelling Igbo technocrats are holding down positions earned after due appointment processes? Of course, there is nothing novel in the Premium Times traducing President Jonathan’s government for appointments of functionaries other than from the “almighty” North.

It was the same false and incompetent arguments that were proffered against General J. T. U. Aguiyi-Ironsi in the promotion of Army Officers in 1966. It was the same false and lame arguments that were recently laid at the doorstep of General Azubuike Ihejirika in the promotion of Army officers. In both the Ironsi and Ihejirika accusations, it turned out that they had been wrongly and dishonestly accused, simply to defame them, to cause disaffection against them and to destabilise the entity.

WITHOUT doubt, the whole and sole purpose of the disreputable tirades by Premium Times that have been going on since the inception of the Jonathan administration is to bring thegovernment down. The simple reason Premium Times wants the Jonathan administration to fail is that it is not headed by someone from the “almighty” North – a people anointed to govern in perpetuity while others must remain as non-citizens or half citizens, without the right or the privilege to ever mount the saddle of leadership. There can only be peace in Nigeria when the North is in charge.

Otherwise, everything must be left in pieces; hell and high waters must envelope the people. Those labouring day and night to make the country better must be forever castigated and covered with effluvium. All aspects of the superstructure must be bombed to smithereens. Unless a Northerner is in charge! Well,we have news for the proponents of this schema of injustice. The warped policy of Northern Supremacy will come to naught, which is where it belongs. Nigeria belongs to all of its citizens none of whom may be classified as second class or underclass
Re: Premium Times, Dishonest Times by Nobody: 5:32am On Apr 22, 2013
Let us now take a closer lookat the facts of Federal appointments. The hatchet writers of the Premium Times were griping over four competent Ndigbo that were duly appointed into Federal offices. What about the scores of Northerners holding down Federal appointments without anyone batting an eyelid? Examine the facts, please, starting from six of the top most posts in the Federal establishment:

* The Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Alhaji Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, is from the North.

* The Controller-General of the Customs, Alhaji Abdallah Dikko is from the North.

* The Group Managing Director of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation, Mr. Andrew Yakubu, is from the North.

* The Executive Chairman of the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS), Alhaji Kabiru Mashi, is from the North.

* The Managing Director of the Nigerian Ports Authority, Alhaji Habib Abdullahi, is from the North.

*The Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Prof. Attahiru Jega, is from the North.

No one is complaining about these pivotal positions residing with Northerners. Is this because the bosses in question each have multiple heads upon their shoulders? Is it because, based strictly on education and qualification, there are no Southerners to mann the posts? Is it not because Northern manipulators of ethnic politics can never be satisfied unless ALL positions, including the presidency of Nigeria, are in the hands of Northerners?

Apart from the six super positions listed above there are countless others. Let’s demonstrate some of them. Dr. Sambo Abdulrahman heads the National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS). Dr. Aminu Ladan Shaharu heads the National Teachers Institute (NTI). Alhaji Mohammed Umar Nadada heads the Small & Medium Enterprises Agency of Nigeria(SMEDAN). Dr. Ado Ibrahim heads the National Primary Health Care.
Mr. Terva Gemade heads the Federal Housing Authority (FHA). Alhaji Ahmed Aminu heads the National Inland Waterways Authority (NIWA). Alhaji Ahmed Giade heads the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA). Alhaji Aliyu Yelwa heads the Fiscal Responsibility Commission. Hadiza Kangiwa heads National Refugee Commission.

There are others of them: Gr. Ghali Bello heads the Infrastructure Concession Regulatory Commission. Mr. Yusuf Nuhu heads the Federal Radio Corporation. Alhaji Kabir Kabo Usman heads the Centre for Management Development. Alhaji Bello Mahmud heads the Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC). Malam Abubakar Jijiwa heads the Voice of Nigeria (VON). Prof B. B. Shehu heads the National Hospital, Abuja. Dr. Masa’udu Adamu Kazaure heads the National Board for Technical Education.

Rear Admiral Bala Mohammed Mshielia is chairman of the Military Pensions Board (MPB). Alhaji Habib Jato is the DG of the National Library. Prof. Junaid Mohammed is the Executive Secretary of the National Commission for Colleges of Education. Dr. Ahmed Rufai isthe DG of the Nigerian Communication Satellite (NICOMSAT). Alhaji Sani Sidi is the DG of the National Emergency Management Centre (NEMA). Dr. M. S. Haruna heads the National Agency for Science and Engineering Infrastructure. (NASENI).

It bears reiteration to state that all the names mentioned above are of Northern functionaries in the top echelons of Federal appointments. There are many others not mentioned here. Yet, no one is complaining. But President Jonathan and his Finance Minister must be crucified because four qualified Igbo technocrats are holding down Federal appointments! What injustice! What insincerity! What insensitivity! And, most importantly, what a shame!

In the light of the statistics provided above, what justification has the Premium Times in counseling that “Dr. Okonjo-Iweala should also note that blatant disregard to the sensitivities and sensibilities of others while arrogantly promoting only people from her tribe may expose them to hatred with potentially explosive consequences such as those experienced in the 1960s when most federal positions were occupied by a particular tribal group”?

Was the leadership of Nigeriain Igbo hands in the First Republic? Apart from the six months of January to July 1966 that General Aguiyi-Ironsi was in power before he was brutally murdered in a northern counter-coup, no Igbo man or woman has ever been at the head of any Nigerian government? Yet, the Premium Times is threatening that Ndigbo are liable to suffer a repeat of the pogrom perpetrated against them in 1966. In the light of the hate wave being fanned by the Premium Times and their ilk, is it a surprise that churches are choice targets for suicide bombings?
Re: Premium Times, Dishonest Times by Nobody: 5:33am On Apr 22, 2013
The kind of hate embers being fanned today is the same that led to the anti-Igbo pogrom of 1966. The rest of the country was turned against Ndigbo at the time. But it since became obvious that Nigeria’s problem is not Ndigbo. Nigeria’s problem is to be found in those who insist that peace is impossible in Nigeria unless they maintain an unchallenged control of the country’s superstructure and substructure.

Mr. NNAEMEKA OKIGBO, a commentator on national issues, wrote from Lagos.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/04/premium-times-dishonest-times/
Re: Premium Times, Dishonest Times by superbloke(m): 7:26am On Apr 22, 2013
While i'm against spreading a false 'igbo agenda' accusation against NOI, sensationalizing your thread with such a title in order to stir up emotions, knowing how unreasonable some nairalanders are when they smell any tribal tilt to a story is just disgraceful. Can't you just create your thread without all this call to war and baiting tribal warlords? I wouldn't have expected this from you. It's really shameful. Many threads have been created addressing this topic yet you choose to create another one (which is ok) but using sensitive keywords to attract attention....El rufai, war, ndigbo...that's just low.
Btw, El rufai owns premium times? Really? Just like Tinubu owns sahara reporters and leadership newspaper right? Someone here once even said that puch is controlled by the opposition just because they published negative reports of the government at a point in time. SMH

3 Likes

Re: Premium Times, Dishonest Times by badassnigga(m): 7:47am On Apr 22, 2013
is ncc chairman igbo ....I tot is from benue state...I mean Engr Peter egbe igoh?
Re: Premium Times, Dishonest Times by Nobody: 8:10am On Apr 22, 2013
superbloke: While i'm against spreading a false 'igbo agenda' accusation against NOI, sensationalizing your thread with such a title in order to stir up emotions, knowing how unreasonable some nairalanders are when they smell any tribal tilt to a story is just disgraceful. Can't you just create your thread without all this call to war and baiting tribal warlords? I wouldn't have expected this from you. It's really shameful. Many threads have been created addressing this topic yet you choose to create another one (which is ok) but using sensitive keywords to attract attention....El rufai, war, ndigbo...that's just low.
Btw, El rufai owns premium times? Really? Just like Tinubu owns sahara reporters and leadership newspaper right? Someone here once even said that puch is controlled by the opposition just because they published negative reports of the government at a point in time. SMH
"Dr. Okonjo-Iweala should also note that blatant disregard to the sensitivities and sensibilities of others while arrogantly promoting only people from her tribe may expose them to hatred with potentially explosive consequences such as those experienced in the 1960s when most federal positions were occupied by a particular tribal group”- Premium Times

What is your interpretation of the above quote? Maybe you'r waiting for another pogrom that'll claim the lives of 50,000 Igbos before you read the hand writting on the wall. The pogrom of 1966 started with several BASELESS allegations, just like we'r having now. The several BASELESS allegations from the media, particulary Premium Times and Daily Trust, against the Igbos is a declaration of war on Igbos as far as I'm concerned
Re: Premium Times, Dishonest Times by baynix(m): 8:36am On Apr 22, 2013
I Opened Ds Thread Coz Of The Title..

Why Are You Misleading Ppl Mr. Gossip Monger??
Re: Premium Times, Dishonest Times by Nobody: 8:58am On Apr 22, 2013
baynix: I Opened Ds Thread Coz Of The Title..

Why Are You Misleading Ppl Mr. Gossip Monger??
I've corrected the title.
Re: Premium Times, Dishonest Times by since1914(m): 9:06am On Apr 22, 2013
superbloke: While i'm against spreading a false 'igbo agenda' accusation against NOI, sensationalizing your thread with such a title in order to stir up emotions, knowing how unreasonable some nairalanders are when they smell any tribal tilt to a story is just disgraceful. Can't you just create your thread without all this call to war and baiting tribal warlords? I wouldn't have expected this from you. It's really shameful. Many threads have been created addressing this topic yet you choose to create another one (which is ok) but using sensitive keywords to attract attention....El rufai, war, ndigbo...that's just low.

You have said what needs to be said. The Nigerian Politician is the most wicked breed of politician that can be found anywhere. He is bent on getting whatever he wants including creating chaos amongst the people he claims to serve. Our people are so gullible that they fail to realize that a politician will play politics with anything including his father's corpse, if that will help feather his nest, yet our people engage themselves in tribal shouting matches, while those that fuel this fights dine and wine together at night in Abuja.

Tomorrow, people will come on this forum to boast about how well they have traveled or how many years they have lived abroad, yet they are still carrying on with the most crude and primitive tendencies ever known to man. Our redemption as country lies not in the PDP, APC, ACN or any other tribal affiliations but in our being objective in our day to day dealings with one another. My brother is not a fellow Ibo man or Yoruba man rather he is anyone who respects me and cares about my well-being.

P.S. If this is all we do on Weekdays then why do we even bother with churches on Sundays?

1 Like

Re: Premium Times, Dishonest Times by ninja4life(m): 9:16am On Apr 22, 2013
Enough of all dis sentimental and tribal bashing threads dont u people have work to do bringing up gibberish early in d morning of monday isnt dat stupid and now they will start claiming to be a medical doctor who does dat mtcheeew.spits on thread elrufai kor jonathan ni
Re: Premium Times, Dishonest Times by superbloke(m): 9:19am On Apr 22, 2013
@op...i'm glad you've corrected the topic. Now people can read more objectively.
since_1914: My brother is not a fellow Ibo man or Yoruba man rather he is anyone who respects me and cares about my well-being.
Full stop! I wish more people can think like this.
Re: Premium Times, Dishonest Times by Nobody: 10:14am On Apr 22, 2013
ninja4life: Enough of all dis sentimental and tribal bashing threads dont u people have work to do bringing up gibberish early in d morning of monday isnt dat stupid and now they will start claiming to be a medical doctor who does dat mtcheeew.spits on thread elrufai kor jonathan ni
All the BASELESS allegations must be fully addressed as long as they keep coming up. Your frustrations should be directed at Premium Times and co who keep bringing up these BASELESS allegations.
Re: Premium Times, Dishonest Times by Nobody: 10:25am On Apr 22, 2013
Sincere 9gerian is the hallmark of bigotry
Re: Premium Times, Dishonest Times by nig2change: 1:54pm On Apr 22, 2013
I don't really know why people always presents issues as if the whole world should come down. Please they should leave the woman because she has built a name for her self and not some useless bigots in this beautiful country of ours.
Re: Premium Times, Dishonest Times by loopine(m): 2:11pm On Apr 22, 2013
They are elements of truth in what you saying, in fact, its the truth, and its obvious that the North wants to keep holding on to tHe Mantle of power, but this is whAt southerners are aware of and nothing is still being Done about it even when a southerner is currently the number one citizen in the country. What I am saying in essence is that Jonathan can only correct this wrong only now that he is the number one citizen of this great country. Anything less than that would continue the trend of Northerners dominAting and seeing themselves as indispensable in piloting the affairs of this great entity Called Nigeria.
Re: Premium Times, Dishonest Times by alexchiny: 2:14pm On Apr 22, 2013
Obiagelli: Sincere 9gerian is the hallmark of bigotry

Its like you just came across that word newly? grin grin grin grin anu mpama

(1) (Reply)

Strange Fish Causes Stir In Ibadan / An Open Letter To Nuhu Ribadu. / Role Of Opposition Party In Democracy A.p.c. Stand For Truth

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.