Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,966 members, 7,814,261 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:04 AM

Babcock Vs Unilorin - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Babcock Vs Unilorin (1682 Views)

Nairaland Interschool Debate Fourth Edition Chatroom / O.A.U VS UNILORIN...ENTER HERE!!! / Uniabj Vs Abu Vs Unilorin Vs Lautech Vs Uniben Vs Unibadan Vs Oau Vs Unijos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Babcock Vs Unilorin by ayobase(m): 8:57am On Apr 23, 2013
Looks like joke, but DEEPLY not.
Fact that needs to be puzzled on!

Babcock school fees=3million......Ranking 60th .....Unilorin school fees =13k...Ranking 2nd..Parents, how wise is ur investment? Are u sleeping on a bicycle.

Someone is still gonna come on here to say privates are better than publics in terms of strike, equipment, infrastructure and the likes......

Hmmmm, I thought the bigger and well established a school is, the less concerned about the money!

I'm still waiting on Afe Babalola, though learnt about the prizes they dished out weeks back!

Awesome, but there is something about the prizing I don't get.

5 CGPA for like N500,000 while 4.5 goes for just N70,000

1 Like

Re: Babcock Vs Unilorin by anukulapo: 9:08am On Apr 23, 2013
ayobase: Looks like joke, but DEEPLY not.

Babcock school fees=3million......Ranking 60th .....Unilorin school fees =13k...Ranking 2nd..Parents, how wise is ur investment? Are u sleeping on a bicycle.

Someone is still gonna come on here to say privates are better than publics in terms of strike, equipment, infrastructure and the likes......

Hmmmm, I thought the bigger and well established a school is, the less concerned about the money!

I'm still waiting on Afe Babalola, though learnt about the prizes they dished out weeks back!

See analysis o. Kai aboki,you dey make sense.
Re: Babcock Vs Unilorin by obyrich(m): 10:06am On Apr 23, 2013
You failed to mention that Babcock students are not allowed to eat meat. Vegetable diet is very expensive and can help one live longer. No wonder our leaders' food budgets for their families run into billions.Honestly, these universities are indirectly creating a pool of unemployable graduates. They should know that there is no special labour market for their graduates. As for the lame argument of strikes and over staying in school,I think there are many Federal schools that have permanently resolved such issues e,g Unizik. Parents really need to weigh their option well.
Re: Babcock Vs Unilorin by Svelteb(f): 10:21am On Apr 23, 2013
Can u imagine
ayobase: Looks like joke, but DEEPLY not.

1 Like

Re: Babcock Vs Unilorin by ayobase(m): 9:53pm On Apr 23, 2013
anukulapo:

See analysis o. Kai aboki,you dey make sense.

Aboki in yoruba language means different thing o!

How u dey brother?
Re: Babcock Vs Unilorin by Nobody: 11:33pm On Apr 23, 2013
The fact is where folks decides to send their wards is solely their prerogative, not yours......
You don't need to see them as unwise. you have your reasons for attending public school, they also have their reasons for attending private schools....leave it that way and face front angry tongue....
Re: Babcock Vs Unilorin by ayobase(m): 5:30am On Apr 24, 2013
speedyboi: The fact is where folks decides to send their wards is solely their prerogative, not yours......
You don't need to see them as unwise. you have your reasons for attending public school, they also have their reasons for attending private schools....leave it that way and face front angry tongue....

Its none of my biz of course.....I haven't said they should get them withdrawn yet let alone of calling them "unwise".......I just stated a simple logic cos I'm informed!

Most of these parents know nothing about University ranking......"The higher the money, the better the school" mentality.....

Schools just exploiting only without stepping up.

The last time I checked, I thought people send their folks to private schools cos public ones are sub-standard....the rating is there!

I will rather send my child to d public ones, and invest or safe the millions for him/her pending the time he/she graduates.......

Give a man N20M to execute his project, unless he knows not what he is doing.....he will be earning more!

Let me just stop here!

We all know that these parents wanna give the best Legacy before they are gone, but are the giving it the right way?

One has to know the reason why he pays much to a school for education!
Re: Babcock Vs Unilorin by Nobody: 9:02am On Apr 24, 2013
ayobase:

Its none of my biz of course.....I haven't said they should get them withdrawn yet let alone of calling them "unwise".......I just stated a simple logic cos I'm informed!

Most of these parents know nothing about University ranking......"The higher the money, the better the school" mentality.....

Schools just exploiting only without stepping up.

The last time I checked, I thought people send their folks to private schools cos public ones are sub-standard....the rating is there!

I will rather send my child to d public ones, and invest or safe the millions for him/her pending the time he/she graduates.......

Give a man N20M to execute his project, unless he knows not what he is doing.....he will be earning more!

Let me just stop here!

We all know that these parents wanna give the best Legacy before they are gone, but are the giving it the right way?

One has to know the reason why he pays much to a school for education!

Bros chill ....why u con carry another pesin matter on your head like this? grin
Well shå, I saw in your post 'how wise is your dad?' We all understand engrish and we know indirect insults cheesy.

And abeg spare me that ranking shii..its all politicized. NUC is a Government org, ofcos they will rank their shi/tty institutions ahead of private institutions to cover up their mess and so that citizens won't abuse them for having substandard schools - This is analysis. And ofcos international organizations follow the rankings of NUC. Once they see the 'top notch' nigerian unis to be shitty, there's no need checking the lower ranked ones so they drag all of 'em to the bottom of world ranking - its understandable.

The highest regret I still have in life is going to a public university. I know what I suffered. over 1,000 students in a lecture theatre while I was in hundred level. We scrambled for virtually e'erthing; hostels, chairs in the class. Etc. Infact I got depressed during my hundred level that I stopped going to class in second semester. I will just sit down in my rented apartment, and feel sad, and talking to myself. I didn't bargain for such stress

I was one of the best students in my secondary school set...my ssce result was excellent. As and Bs that I entered the 'prestigious high ranked' nigerian university that exact year I graduated! I was happy! Not knowing I don enter.

Those were just little of what I suffered. Not to mention situations where one yeye engine will be used by a lecturer to explain to over 400 student.
I didn't understand jack! I wasn't used to that kinda of teaching. I happen to attend a private secondary school and everything was so strange in the university. That's when I realised how disorganized Government things are. And guess who caused it? The nonchalant mumu nigerians who manage the institutions.

I know all what I said might seem little in the eyes of some guys (especially those who attended public secondary schools). But the stress depressed me + the method of teaching wasn't right for me. I ended up a very poor student and through my little effort I balanced into average later on. Just to graduate with one yeye 2.1. If you compare my sepndary school result to that of the university, you will think I became unserious, but it was not my fault at all.
Funny enough, my mum asked me if I wanted to go to a private uni (not like she had the money but she's ready to ensure I get the best), but I Declined claiming its waste of money.
I visited afe babalola uni sometime last year, and I saw 10 students in a class with modern infrastructures. It looked like I was visiting my private secondary school again! This guys have the perfect environment I never had to keep up with my genius intellect.

Ayo guess the promise I made to myself during my convocation? I will rather hold on to my degree than further my education in this kinda environment! (its not about gathering qualifications, I wanna gain something!). I also promised my self that none of my children will ever step his/her feet in government schools! And the last promise which you already know is that I will never work for any government company. Government stuffs are always badly managed by nigerians...thereby disorganizing the whole process of making things work. tell me what's so difficult in admitting students just enough for the hostels and classrooms?

I only mentioned few of the things I suffered....and I already have the cloud of sadness all over me. I can recall everything, still fresh! I didn't wanna write anything this long, but I went into spirit grin

1 Like

Re: Babcock Vs Unilorin by ayobase(m): 9:28am On Apr 24, 2013
^I wouldn't wanna quote.....its indeed long....thank God u came out of the spirit quickly!

I couldn't agree less on some points u made.

But, the school I attended made me stronger and hopeful.....I graduated with 2.2, but u said "one yeye 2.1...." Hmmmmmm!

To go to private school has never been my probs, but which of these private schools offers Engineering.....my brother is in afe babalola studying medicine.....my Dad asked me to enquire about the school before we apply....now he is there!

I'm happy I went through Federal University still despite the EVERY EVERY.....but I was not only academically built, but emotionally, socially, culturally, financially, physically, psychologically.......independent thinking!

I have met people from private universities, only few can stand me.....the way we think dey very different o.....more of toddlers we have in those Unis!

Just saying.....I'm a better person today brother.....I went through a lot!
Re: Babcock Vs Unilorin by ninja4life(m): 12:47pm On Apr 24, 2013
Well to me i tink d major reasons parent send student to those private institution is because of d stress in getting their children admitted into those best federal universities e.g dis year about 180,000candidate picked unilorin which can only accept about 5000students imagine d competition not forgetting dat u need connection with right people to get admitted in dis case and also most have stayed home for about 3yrs doing nothing so they just think d best dey can do is to get private university admission,imagine in dis yr jamb some private unis donot have up to 1000candidate while another fed uni have 180000candidate.so it is easier to get admitted to dem so dey make d decision not dat dey are stupid or ignorant.
Re: Babcock Vs Unilorin by Nobody: 8:29pm On Apr 24, 2013
ayobase: ^I wouldn't wanna quote.....its indeed long....thank God u came out of the spirit quickly!

I couldn't agree less on some points u made.

But, the school I attended made me stronger and hopeful.....I graduated with 2.2, but u said "one yeye 2.1...." Hmmmmmm!

To go to private school has never been my probs, but which of these private schools offers Engineering.....my brother is in afe babalola studying medicine.....my Dad asked me to enquire about the school before we apply....now he is there!

I'm happy I went through Federal University still despite the EVERY EVERY.....but I was not only academically built, but emotionally, socially, culturally, financially, physically, psychologically.......independent thinking!

I have met people from private universities, only few can stand me.....the way we think dey very different o.....more of toddlers we have in those Unis!

Just saying.....I'm a better person today brother.....I went through a lot!

Well that's you. That's not the kinda training I want for my kids. You like what you went through? Well good for you. For me, I detest it and it will be a source of regret for me till I die! Unless I'm able to fill the gap during my PG studies.
I can only imagine what I would have been capable of doing if I was trained right; with right proportion of lecturer to students, with well equiped workshop that I can just walk into to perform practicals anytime and experiment on what I'm curious about etc.
This kinda stupid training is what made Nigerians so stubborn and lawless. I can bet that 90% of Nigerians were brought up with cane (meaning until they beat them, they won't obey to the simple instructions given to them by their parents). The same applies to grown up Nigerians. Until their houses are destroyed, vehicle seized, and/or they pay exorbitant fines through their nose, they won't obey any law. But why? Cos that's how they were brought up! Until Africans how to correct their kids without cane and learn how to bring up a child reasonably and not like they are training animals, backwardness is sure.

And to the point of the thread, stop judging peeps who decides whatever they think is good for them. They have their reasons and even if they don't; its still their palava
Re: Babcock Vs Unilorin by ayobase(m): 12:16am On Apr 25, 2013
I have heard u speedyboi.....I wish everyone the best.....private or public, no shaking!

And I'm not judging anyone....even ninja4life made sense in his post....u couldn't have imagined how we got to know about afe babalola!

Speedyboi, can u pls tell me one private uni that offers Engineering Courses?

I don't know if there is any, and I don't wanna google!

There is differece between teaching and lecturing.....a serious student will go extra mile....everything can never be shovelled down everybody's throats!

No matter what, public ones are 'supposed" to be leading others!

Time will tell though!
Re: Babcock Vs Unilorin by Nobody: 7:54am On Apr 25, 2013
ayobase: I have heard u speedyboi.....I wish everyone the best.....private or public, no shaking!

And I'm not judging anyone....even ninja4life made sense in his post....u couldn't have imagined how we got to know about afe babalola!

There is differece between teaching and lecturing.....a serious student will go extra mile....everything can never be shovelled down everybody's throats!

Time will tell though!

Well thanks for not judging them anymore.
Ayo, ofcos lecturing is diff from teaching. But tell me how far is the extra mile a student can také when he/she can't even hear anything in class due to high population? And without a functioning laboratory (science)/workshop (Technology) to practice anything he/she discovers; maybe through internet?(by saying 'functioning' workshop, i didn't mean there are no equipments ooo)...etc. Now compare the extra mile such a student will take to a student who attends private schools or abroad where these things are not a problem? Its amazing the things we've accepted as the norm in Nigeria.

@the bolded, well we all know that's not the case in Naija except we just wan deceive ourselves. Forget all those ranking and let's face reality.

To your question, I will find out and let you know. Meanwhile, I know Kwara state university offers the course. Yea I know its a state uni (Government)...but its still new and the infrastructure and everything is perfect. But its only a matter of time before the usual mismanagement of Nigerians set in and the school will join the others in shi/t. Smh
Re: Babcock Vs Unilorin by Nobody: 7:58am On Apr 25, 2013
Re: Babcock Vs Unilorin by Nobody: 7:59am On Apr 25, 2013
Re: Babcock Vs Unilorin by ayobase(m): 10:33am On Apr 25, 2013
speedyboi:

Well thanks for not judging them anymore.
Ayo, ofcos lecturing is diff from teaching. But tell me how far is the extra mile a student can také when he/she can't even hear anything in class due to high population? And without a functioning laboratory (science)/workshop (Technology) to practice anything he/she discovers; maybe through internet?(by saying 'functioning' workshop, i didn't mean there are no equipments ooo)...etc. Now compare the extra mile such a student will take to a student who attends private schools or abroad where these things are not a problem? Its amazing the things we've accepted as the norm in Nigeria.

@the bolded, well we all know that's not the case in Naija except we just wan deceive ourselves. Forget all those ranking and let's face reality.

To your question, I will find out and let you know. Meanwhile, I know Kwara state university offers the course. Yea I know its a state uni (Government)...but its still new and the infrastructure and everything is perfect. But its only a matter of time before the usual mismanagement of Nigerians set in and the school will join the others in shi/t. Smh

God helps us all.
Our parents have done theirs, we are left to carry on the legacy!

May God grant unto us all we desire to train our children than we were being trained!

I'm sure we are on the same path of argument!

Howz work going?
Re: Babcock Vs Unilorin by Svelteb(f): 11:43am On Apr 25, 2013
ayobase:

God helps us all.
Our parents have done theirs, we are left to carry on the legacy!

May God grant unto us all we desire to train our children than we were being trained!
I say AMEN in capital letter to that. wink
Re: Babcock Vs Unilorin by Forzap: 3:01pm On Apr 25, 2013
ninja4life: Well to me i tink d major reasons parent send student to those private institution is because of d stress in getting their children admitted into those best federal universities e.g dis year about 180,000candidate picked unilorin which can only accept about 5000students imagine d competition not forgetting dat u need connection with right people to get admitted in dis case and also most have stayed home for about 3yrs doing nothing so they just think d best dey can do is to get private university admission,imagine in dis yr jamb some private unis donot have up to 1000candidate while another fed uni have 180000candidate.so it is easier to get admitted to dem so dey make d decision not dat dey are stupid or ignorant.

180,000?guy clean ur mouth abeg
Re: Babcock Vs Unilorin by ayobase(m): 3:58pm On Apr 25, 2013
Forza p:

180,000?guy clean ur mouth abeg

It could be true.
The way students apply to some specific schools can't be disputed!
Re: Babcock Vs Unilorin by Nobody: 4:23pm On Apr 25, 2013
Funny enough how nigerians want quality education but are not ready to pay for it. The best universities in the world are private. And dont give us all those NUC crap shit last year 90000 applied to unilag only 5000 were taken so the remaining 85000 should stay at home and continue writing JAMB and op go and ask anybody that really knows how our education system works and they will vouch for the private school.
Re: Babcock Vs Unilorin by tobezekiel(f): 9:02pm On Apr 25, 2013
ayobase: I have heard u speedyboi.....I wish everyone the best.....private or public, no shaking!

covenant university offer engineering courses

Time will tell though!
Re: Babcock Vs Unilorin by Nobody: 12:59pm On Apr 27, 2013
tensazangetsu: Funny enough how nigerians want quality education but are not ready to pay for it. The best universities in the world are private. And dont give us all those NUC crap shit last year 90000 applied to unilag only 5000 were taken so the remaining 85000 should stay at home and continue writing JAMB and op go and ask anybody that really knows how our education system works and they will vouch for the private school.

@bolded, very true....The likes of Harvard and other highly ranked universities are private. It's just a pity that Nigerians play politics with everything.

The same way western organization play politics by ranking all their craps high and they will put african countries at the bottom. but It's really sad to see africans bringing themselves down. smh

(1) (Reply)

Good News!: You Can Now Check Your Jamb Results On Www.jamb.org.ng / How Would You Kill A Clone That's Always Thinking The Same As You? / What Do You Know About Physical With Production Technology.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.