Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,896 members, 7,814,027 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 01:44 AM

Religious Rebellion - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Religious Rebellion (451 Views)

Rebellion Of An Army / Preaching Rebellion Against Christ / Atheism Is 'Personal Rebellion 'Against God,Says Philosopher(a damning verdict) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Religious Rebellion by staggerman(m): 1:47am On Apr 25, 2013
But what about rebellion? Doesn’t the Bible say we should not rebel or be in rebellion?
Yes it does in 1 Samuel 15:23, so let’s look at that verse in context:

1 Sam 15:21-28
21 But the people took of the spoil, sheep and oxen, the chief of the things which should have been utterly destroyed, to sacrifice unto the LORD thy God in Gilgal.
22 And Samuel said, Hath the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams.
23 For rebellion ( Strong’s # 4805 – O.T.) is as the sin of witchcraft, and stubbornness is as iniquity and idolatry. Because thou hast rejected the word of the LORD, he hath also rejected thee from being king.
24 And Saul said unto Samuel, I have sinned: for I have transgressed the commandment of the LORD, and thy words: because I feared the people, and obeyed their voice.
25 Now therefore, I pray thee, pardon my sin, and turn again with me, that I may worship the LORD.
26 And Samuel said unto Saul, I will not return with thee: for thou hast rejected the word of the LORD, and the LORD hath rejected thee from being king over Israel.
27 And as Samuel turned about to go away, he laid hold upon the skirt of his mantle, and it rent.
28 And Samuel said unto him, The LORD hath rent the kingdom of Israel from thee this day, and hath given it to a neighbour of thine, that is better than thou. KJV

Notice the context here: Saul was commanded by God to do a thing, yet he decided to do something else which made more (religious) sense to him.
Because of that, God took the Kingdom away from him. Saul admitted he had sinned after Samuel pronounced the judgment of God upon him.
The word “rebellion” in this verse is the word for bitterness and stubbornness. You can and should also say that stubbornness and bitterness is as the sin of witchcraft.
OT:4805
meriy (mer-ee'); from OT:4784; bitterness, i.e. (figuratively) rebellion; concretely, bitter, or rebellious: KJV - bitter, (most) rebel (-lion, -lious).
(Biblesoft's New Exhaustive Strong's Numbers and Concordance with Expanded Greek-Hebrew Dictionary. Copyright (c) 1994, Biblesoft and International Bible Translators, Inc.)

It is right to rebel against what is wrong.
The main thing to about rebellion is this:
It is HOW you rebel that will determine whether your rebellion is righteous or not.
Jesus rebelled against the dead religious system of his day. He even took a whip after those who had perverted the ways of God.
He bluntly AND publicly denounced them, even using them (publicly) as examples of how NOT to be.
Today, we stand at the same crossroads Jesus did two thousand years ago.
Christianity has become exactly what Judaism was two thousand years ago.
A religious system of do’s and don’ts that ignores the important “weightier matters” and emphasizes blind adherence to our chosen creed.

Before the Reformation, most everyone was Catholic. The Reformation was the leaving of the Catholic by those who by reason of conscience could no longer follow the dead traditions that violated clear Scripture.
The Reformers had one motto: “Sola Scriptura” or “Scripture alone”. They could no longer classify a man’s words, regardless of how supposedly “holy” or high-ranking in “The Church” he may be, above the Word of God.
Because of that belief, when Martin Luther was ordered to appear before a council that held his life in it’s hands and recant his position, he declared boldly: “Here I stand”. We have now “progressed” in religious thinking in many areas, yet today there are practically no “voices” such as Luther’s to be heard. Most ministers are all too ready to get in bed with the system that promises that if they “pay their dues” and climb the ladder of recognition and popularity, they too will reap the benefit of this multi-level marketing Religious system. (By helping those above you get to where they desire to be, you will eventually get to where you desire to be.)

Today, success in the church is measured by whether you have offices or not, or by how many members your church has, as well as by whether or not you are on television, radio, etc.
The entire church system is nothing more than Madison Avenue marketing Programs. While on an airplane recently, I read an issue of Business Week that highlighted several well-known “Church Leaders” that were compared to and better known as CEO’s more than to Men of God.

http://www.jglm.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=175:apostolic-revolution&catid=51:iac-articles&Itemid=102

(1) (Reply)

Let Us Start Together To Build The World Largest Christian Online Community / Seven Things You Must Know About The End Time / Mods, The Law Of Attraction Thread Is Derailed. Matter Urgent Plz

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.