Stats: 3,162,450 members, 7,850,571 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 04:02 AM

2008 Soundcity Music Video Award - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / 2008 Soundcity Music Video Award (2039 Views)

Full List Of Channel O Music Video Award Winners 2014 / Channel O Music Video Award Winners 2014 + Pictures and Tweets / Nigeria Music Video Award (nmva) 2010: Which Music Video Rocked Last Year? (2) (3) (4)

2008 Soundcity Music Video Award by deola1(m): 2:09pm On Apr 12, 2008
The respect was too much yesterday for the Hip-Hop Star NAS, too much. D'banj was fantastic as a host if u miss it u miss something i swear. I never knew the Koko master was a good comedian, if u watched it or listen to it at Raypower last night u'll definitely know what am talking about.
Dj Humility was off the chain. . .

Here are some of the Winners with their track:
Stylee - Dj Jimmy Jatt
KpoKpodiKpo - Faze (My Man)
Fire On the Mountain - Asa
U go Wound Oh - Ibliss

if u watched it u can continue with the winners. . .
Re: 2008 Soundcity Music Video Award by naija4laif: 2:37pm On Apr 12, 2008
please what channel was it on?let me see if i would watch d
repeat??
Re: 2008 Soundcity Music Video Award by charlyBoy1: 2:54pm On Apr 12, 2008
A.I.T viewed it live.
Re: 2008 Soundcity Music Video Award by sammy88(m): 2:59pm On Apr 12, 2008
Jebele---------------------------kween
Aiye ole-------------------------infinity
Do me --------------------------psquare
Re: 2008 Soundcity Music Video Award by mrjuwon: 4:21pm On Apr 12, 2008
Lord i would love to watch it on AIT but they never NEVER stick to the television Schedule they show on SKy. Right now they are supposed to be showing FCT on the move, but they are showing AIT News. Soundcity is supposed to be showing at 9.10pm (London Time) according to sky, but I bet they show it earlier or later.But still i have marked it on sky. Hopefully they stick to the planner arghhh. Anyone got a list of winners
Re: 2008 Soundcity Music Video Award by lajim80(m): 4:54pm On Apr 12, 2008
Yeah, it's a bit annoying when their schedules are wrong.

Meanwhile, Mo Hits Crew and P square's performances were the highlight for me; it almost went wrong for Peter when he almost fell off after the stage board collapsed.

Anyway, good show but not as good as the Hip Hop awards though.

I hope Remedies are not getting back cos their performance yesterday was nothing to be looking forward to.

One last thing, the award for bloody too long!
Re: 2008 Soundcity Music Video Award by funkybaby(f): 5:51pm On Apr 12, 2008
Ty Bello won two awards (at the last count before i slept off-the award was too long jare).

D'banj and Mo'hits performed very well. Freeze and D'banj-very good MCs.

Remedies's performance-really wack so was that of Tic Tac. Sasha-just there. Naeto C and Omo Ibo(ikechukwu)-just there.

Elajoe-that guy was freaking annoying! Terrible dressing and too much over sabi. Just imagine the wanna-be was allowed to introduce Nas. He kept on touching, placing his hands on Nas shoulders like they were buddies from high school. During Nas initial performance, he was on stage singing, jumping around like a fool as if he was Nas backup singer- so so annoying. Mode9 too came on the stage when Nas was rapping. Dunno who send them work !!

Nas looked really good. Performed very well. Trust nigerians-singing and rapping along with him.

The venue was rather cramped in my opinion. Lighting effects not too good. Delay in playing the nominated videos(this happened for instance when Nas was called to present an award-rather embarrassing). I also think the stage was rather small.

The good thing is almost all the artists got something. The organisers were smart-so many award categories. So we expect to hear little or no grumbling with the Sound City Awards unlike the Hip Hop World Version.
Re: 2008 Soundcity Music Video Award by Baro(m): 6:11pm On Apr 12, 2008
Nice one Funkybaby, so who and who won what?
Re: 2008 Soundcity Music Video Award by funkybaby(f): 11:45pm On Apr 12, 2008
I can't really remember the exact names/categories of awards picked up by respective artists.

Previous posters have stated the names of artists that got awards. Others include infinity, the man who directed their video got an award, p square's brother-peter got an award for their do me video, asa.

In my own opinion, the best dressed celeb was Don Jazzie. He was really looking very good in his tailored fit white suit that had dazzling stones at the back of the jacket. He had the crowd screaming when he sang his own part of the Mo' Hits song 'Pere'.
Worst dressed celeb (who dash am celeb sef)was elajoe. Terrible combination of different shades of brown with a blue cotton face towel he kept holding on to. Very disgusting.

Ashionye was a good MC as well. Thank God she has discovered another talent apart from singing her awful songs.

Charly Boy was given a special recognition award. Came on stage with a horrible, 'padded' ninja outfit without the hood though but with a sword at the back.

Thats all i can remember now jare. Over-all, i rate the award 5 out of 10. Honestly, the award would have been boring if not for D'banj, Freeze and Mo'hits-they were simply at their best.
Re: 2008 Soundcity Music Video Award by eldee(m): 12:09am On Apr 13, 2008
@funkybaby
abeg did he answer the controversial question i.e Is he nigerian?
Cus I'm getting tired of people saying he's from Ogun State
Re: 2008 Soundcity Music Video Award by pheena: 12:22am On Apr 13, 2008
The good thing is almost all the artists got something. The organisers were smart-so many award categories. So we expect to hear little or no grumbling with the Sound City Awards unlike the Hip Hop World Version.
[quote][/quote]

you make am sound as if na politics.
an award show is not meant to apeace artist but to give honour to whom it is due
if an artist deserve 10awards he/she should get it not minding what pple say
so sharing the award like guguru as they did in sound city was not portraying the best Nigeria have got
but avoiding controversies which is not good enough at this stage we are in

sometimes people grumble and complain after grammies and Oscars, so u cant satisfy the everyone
i still prefer hip hop award.

imagine do me getting the best video, i cant tell my friends over here that this is the best video in Nigeria today
not that the video is bad but Asa's even Ty bello's and few others are better
Re: 2008 Soundcity Music Video Award by pheena: 12:39am On Apr 13, 2008
this may not be too accurate but its not far 4m it
if u care to know,

p-square won two awards (one for overall best video and the other for best cinematography)
infinity won for best edited, best effects and best directed video)
faze won best choreography
Ty Bellow won 2 for viewers choice awards
Asa won for best new artist
wande cole won soundcity fresh, award
kween won best female video jebele
ill bliss won best hip hop video award
jimmy jatt stylee won best male video.

i missed about 2 or 3 cos it was getting too long and too boring

for me the best performance was from infinity aside 4m Nas
even the crowd appreciated them unlike the usual Nigerian crowd
and i am sorry to disagree but i found d'banj and co performance very noisy and rowdy
but he is a good MC sha i cant take that from him
Re: 2008 Soundcity Music Video Award by Fadajasi(m): 1:24am On Apr 13, 2008
So ruggedman no take anything?
Re: 2008 Soundcity Music Video Award by mrjuwon: 2:36am On Apr 13, 2008
I missed it like predicted. Arght AIT needs to sort out their programme schedule. Ihope one of their staff is reading this. My days. Highlight of today was when the Program schedule said AIT News and the programme they were showing in fact was Esmerelda, the spanish soap that was made like million of years ago. For a TV station broadcasting "accross the water" this is simply annoying to say the least. They might as well change the name to RIT (Random International Television) then I would not complain. So yeah I still have not seen the award. Anyone with a list, pics or video, please send to worldfamousnb@gmail.com. The people (Soundcity) still have not updated their website with the winners.
Thanks in advance, much appreciated
Re: 2008 Soundcity Music Video Award by naija4laif: 3:16am On Apr 13, 2008
mrjuwon:

I missed it like predicted. Arght AIT needs to sort out their programme schedule. Ihope one of their staff is reading this. My days. Highlight of today was when the Program schedule said AIT News and the programme they were showing in fact was Esmerelda, the spanish soap that was made like million of years ago. For a TV station broadcasting "accross the water" this is simply annoying to say the least. They might as well change the name to RIT (Random International Television) then I would not complain. So yeah I still have not seen the award. Anyone with a list, pics or video, please send to worldfamousnb@gmail.com. The people (Soundcity) still have not updated their website with the winners.
Thanks in advance, much appreciated
here u go http://lindaikeji..com/2008/04/soundcity-music-video-award-winners.html
oh bdw, r u by nechance the writer for the worldfamous naija blog?!?
Re: 2008 Soundcity Music Video Award by lucabrasi(m): 3:23pm On Apr 13, 2008
i saw the awards and watching it again,the award was very interesting how can anyone say only d banj and ashion whaeva made the award interesting ,the award was balanced and there were no controversies,it was very interesting and the high point for me was seeing nas escobar live d banj tried but he was overdoing the whole thing at a point,d gurl was wayyy too much into d whole diva posing , and in my opinion sound city had the edge compared to hiphop world,the south african flavour was awesome as well , jumoke alao was running a commentary on the radio and i think was on point as always and thank GOD p square didnt make any controversial comments when they made the speech for the awards but when their brother won the awards they all piled up on stage and completely took over the acceptance speech and everything lol when they were about leaving someone remembered him and he made a short remark
Re: 2008 Soundcity Music Video Award by funkybaby(f): 7:39pm On Apr 13, 2008
@eldee
Throughout the duration of the show, i did not hear Nas confirm or deny if he was a Nigerian (only if i missed that part, other posters can clarify on that).

Although the MCs and Elajoe a.k.a 'over sabi' repeatedly said that Nas father's name was Oladele (Ola something sha). I however heard the part where Nas said the Sound City Awards was the first time he would be visiting Africa.

@pheena
Na so we see am oh. In a bid to satisfy everyone, and avoid controversies, those that merited awards and those that did not all went home with something. My only grouse with them was that they should have extended their gesture to Sauce kid for the yebariba video.
Re: 2008 Soundcity Music Video Award by CityBoy: 7:45pm On Apr 13, 2008
Out of my new found interest for events in Nigeria due largely to info tech and AIT (or is it Random Independent TV - RIT) as one of my mates cheekily suggested, I stayed up to watch this award show that was hyped as the best thing to happen to Naija since MKO won June 12 election. First of all, I would like to state that the idea is good  but being a critic, I couldnt help but notice a few worrying things and I hope the organisers take this as contstructive and strive to improve standards.

First, the ceremony was long and sooooooo boring (Having a couple of plasma screens and some lights on stage dont equate to glamour). The screening of nominees was delayed on several occassions and the whole event just seemed rowdy and ill thought out. Also, can someone please tell me who the heck is that clown called D-BanjThis sweaty armpit (lol) clown literally single handedly ruined the show with his overkills and undeserved feeling of celebrity. I spoke to a couple of contacts in Naija and understand he is the hottest thing on the bloc. Not really surprised as like every other facet of modern Naija, we have allowed mediocrity to creep into our entertainment scene which should be judged on creativity and talent (sadly most of the cats on parade had neither of these). I understand the guy made his fortune by singing for PDP and getting corporate endorsements from the GSM providers. Abeg, can someone please show me another society where celebs rely on government patronage? For the GSM guys, I believe they have a lot of explaining to do to the shareholders and subscribers as to justifying the sums paid to these cats when they are unable to provide Nigerians with a reliable telephony service (but this is a topic for another day).

Another point I disagree with was the hype sorrounding NAS. This cats a businessman and if possible will play a show in hell as long as he's paid to do so. While I have got maximum love for the cat, I think Nigerians will be misled if the impression is that he loves Naija music so much as to attend the award show (How much was he paid?). The cat even said and I quote "I love you black people" (the intelligent mind can figure out what that means). I have met some of these cats in the UK and the US and they dont have any interest in Naija music or what happens in Naija. Please stop using them to hype your events and look inwards rather than to them for endorsement.

Also, the cat Tic Tac could have done with a bit more love from the audience as he's a great cat who I have also met.

Generally, I think we still have a lot of work to do and most of the cats (with exception of people like Asa,Jimmy Jatt e.t.c) who went home with awards shouldnt start poppong the shampoo just yet.

I know I will get slaughtered by some for my comments, but like our elders say please dont throw the baby away with the bath water.

Peace and God Bless!
Re: 2008 Soundcity Music Video Award by funkybaby(f): 7:51pm On Apr 13, 2008
@lucrabasi

I thought i was the only one disgusted by the 'diva' pose and levels Ashionye was exhibiting that night. Who dash am diva, lol, with her awful songs.

She didnt really flow well with Freeze and D'banj kept his distance from her and rather preferred to flirt/fool around with the female ushers.

You term Mo'hits performance as rowdy and noisy? Lol. Them try oh. Did you watch their performance at MBGN about two weekends ago? That one was terrible. D'banj was practically yelling.

They seem to be better organised now and they stick to their respective lines. Ko easy-five men trying to mime to a CD on stage at the same time, Lol,
Re: 2008 Soundcity Music Video Award by CityBoy: 7:52pm On Apr 13, 2008
Funkybaby, NAS is not Naija, that cat that was saying Oludare is as ignorant as can get. Please go on wilkipedia and type in Nas. His dad is the legendary Olu Dara, Jazz artiste who changed his name from Jones on one of his spiritual sojourns to Africa (An African Ifa priest actually gave him the name Olu Dara- God is Good). You know one of those trips Afro-Americans take to reconnect with the mother land. The guys not Naija and that was one of my agros with the awards show. In this age of info tech, can these cats who claim to be leading the way in Naija entertainment not be bothered to do a little bit of research before opening their mouths? I just wonder.
Re: 2008 Soundcity Music Video Award by funkybaby(f): 8:09pm On Apr 13, 2008
@cityboy

Lmao! Nice posts. I wonder too oh. They just kept on stressing on his father's name, lol,  Nas could have atleast clarified issues once and for all.

Tic Tac is a great artist-at least at Ghana, but please accept-that night he was AWFUL.

How dare he rap to the instrumentals of our darling 9ice's hit song-Gongo Aso That was simply sacrilegious, Lol,  I was pissed by this, my baby sis was also pissed and am sure same applied to the guests at the event.

Hence, the cold reception from the audience. He even sang 'Fenfenefe' without Tony Tetuila, haba! Besides, he needs to work on his dress sense. In my own opinion, he is competing with Elajoe for the award of worst dressed 'celeb' of that night, Lol,
Re: 2008 Soundcity Music Video Award by youngdigi(m): 10:00pm On Apr 13, 2008
cityboy , very nice post

can someone please tell me how freshlyground did? i heard they were supposed to perform as well.

thanks
Re: 2008 Soundcity Music Video Award by lucabrasi(m): 12:33am On Apr 14, 2008
funkybaby:

@lucrabasi

I thought i was the only one disgusted by the 'diva' pose and levels Ashionye was exhibiting that night. Who dash am diva, lol, with her awful songs.

She didnt really flow well with Freeze and D'banj kept his distance from her and rather preferred to flirt/fool around with the female ushers.

You term Mo'hits performance as rowdy and noisy? Lol. Them try oh. Did you watch their performance at MBGN about two weekends ago? That one was terrible. D'banj was practically yelling.

They seem to be better organised now and they stick to their respective lines. Ko easy-five men trying to mime to a CD on stage at the same time, Lol,

i admit im a bit biased with the mo hits ,they tried ,the problem with them if you ask me is dbanj and that overhyped semi talentless don jazzy,i got told that the guy is definitely not nigerian and his father got the name on his travels around africa.

@cityboy
nice one,i thought i was the only one, when 50cent came to nigeria as well nigerians rather than support eedris abdulkareem who was fighting for both himself and other indegenous artise was almost finished and everybody blamed him for daring to anger the almighty 50, a dude who s onli love he has for nigeria is the amount that was transferred to his account in full,even lucky dube our neighbour got full payment before stepping out of s.a and they ll get here and start mouthing the usual im back home
Re: 2008 Soundcity Music Video Award by lucabrasi(m): 12:35am On Apr 14, 2008
anyone got the link to a list of the award winners
Re: 2008 Soundcity Music Video Award by kellyp: 10:21am On Apr 14, 2008
The SMVA thingy was ok. Werent they supposed to b showing the nominees everytime (cos sometimes they just played the thing out n u dnt see d video, it was blurred anyway). D BANJ , hate that guy , what d hell was he doing acting like someone on one kind of medication, too hyperactive n sweaty. Why couldnt he just leave the girls that were working to do their job insted of embarrasing the poor girls on national T.V. Ashonye is pretty, went over the board with the dresses, wetin? NIGERIANS NEED TO APPERICIATE THEIR OWN PPL. Imagine others naija artists singinf songs that were comprehensive with little to no screams n shouts, and then NAS started rapping what i kno these ppl cannot explain , see everybody on their feet hailing, I WAS TOTALLY EMBARRASED. MO hits, wtf, d only guy worth listening to there is WANDE COAL, the rest na babash, d banj just screamin gn saying oh or ah or one of those song fillers. Wande was doing the "Singing" , wetin be im name ehm, don jazzy with his walking stick ,he'd berra develop a nice voice unless he'd be going down the koko drain along with d banj. I love the comedians , "yahozee pof pof and do me i do u condom". Overall the show was ok , too long but them try sha , no be small thing.
Re: 2008 Soundcity Music Video Award by unix4real1(m): 1:39pm On Apr 14, 2008
wetin remedies see contribute to the show? grin
Re: 2008 Soundcity Music Video Award by deola1(m): 2:17pm On Apr 14, 2008
kellyp
D BANJ , hate that guy , what d hell was he doing acting like someone on one kind of medication, too hyperactive n sweaty. Why couldnt he just leave the girls that were working to do their job insted of embarrasing the poor girls on national T.V.
95% individuals in and off the event was feeling the guy that day, if u hate with passion that's better than saying he's . . . watever undecided, He was really awesome.
he run night guyz, he really did.

@young_digi
Fleshlyground tried sha, but Tic Tac was better that night.
Re: 2008 Soundcity Music Video Award by Nobody: 3:16pm On Apr 14, 2008
I never hear 2face for here o
Is the guy fast disappearing from the scene
Re: 2008 Soundcity Music Video Award by deola1(m): 4:41pm On Apr 14, 2008
aysometin:

I never hear 2face for here o
Is the guy fast disappearing from the scene
yeah, fast disappering. He was not found not al least recognised.
Re: 2008 Soundcity Music Video Award by dready(f): 5:24pm On Apr 14, 2008
Una wen dey talk say 2face dey disappear make i tell una music go disappear finish from nigeria and america before 2face go ever disappear,
Una think say e b like p-square wen be say common award dem go feel say world don end, there is more to a musician than award. by God's grace that guy is moving from one level to another.
Really soundcity was just there giving award to everybody make i talk true illbliss is good but video you go wound ooo i wounder why dem give am i am not saying e bribed his way out but damn na best hip hop video we dey talk about but i shouldn't say much because we were asked to vote sha.
Re: 2008 Soundcity Music Video Award by lucabrasi(m): 7:25pm On Apr 14, 2008
unix4real1:

wetin remedies see contribute to the show? grin

i was embarrassed for their perfomance,they were just all over the place no co-ordination and the songs were soo wack as well.
deola1:

95% individuals in and off the event was feeling the guy that day, if u hate with passion that's better than saying he's . . . watever undecided, He was really awesome.
he run night guys, he really did.

@young_digi
Fleshlyground tried sha, but Tic Tac was better that night.

but its the truth now,we all saw him and how he embarrassed that girl he pulled out,the girl was shy and wasnt realli amused with the whole thing, he has an awesome stage perfomance couple with enough hype,but the singing hell naw him and don jazzy shud just retire to the background
Re: 2008 Soundcity Music Video Award by MeGaStReEt: 7:44pm On Apr 14, 2008
its was fan.

Ethics On Being A Good Radio Presenter / What Song Is This? / Sites For Nija Christian Songs

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71