Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,271 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:07 AM

Maize Farming Startup - Agriculture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Maize Farming Startup (111189 Views)

Have You Ever Seen Black Maize Before? This Will Shock You / Maize Farming In Nigeria ( 2015 Season) - Challenges And Expectations. / Info On Maize Farming Needed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Maize Farming Startup by leadfarm: 9:28am On Mar 19, 2017
Dere are land for lease at ado odo otan if interested let talk
Re: Maize Farming Startup by nassipickin(m): 3:49pm On Mar 19, 2017
paulseyi:
Thank for the good work bro. regard to your post stated below,i will like to ask the following question.

7. Use a powerful pre and post emergence herbicide two days after planting then follow up with weeding as necessary.

Can you recommend pre and post emergence herbicide for weed in maize farming ?

How many times do i need to apply this herbicide in maize farm?

what is the cost of herbicide per Acre or hectare?

Do you think there is any side effect for using herbicide to kill weed for maize plant or grain during or after harvest?

you did not talk about insecticide? is there any probability that maize plant may be free from pest or insect?

i will be waiting patient to read from you.

thanks.
@paulseyi and others who are interested in maize farming.
Farming generally is a business, and business is full of experiences that can not be bought with megabytes. Please instead of researching for months on end without starting why not start with a "control measure", e.g. 1/2-plot of land. #350-worth of treated maize seeds, plant it with all the experience gathered so far. Don't fool yourself with the Million Naira calculations available on paper. Be a farmer first before you can attempt being a mega-farmer. If you continue like this you'll only end up a forum-farmer, instead of the mega-farmer of your dreams.
INTRODUCING:
NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF SMALL SCALE INDUSTRIALIST (NASSI), OGUN STATE CHAPTER.
*Registration is free
**Join the Value Chain Network arrangement as an AGRIBUSINESS INVESTOR, because you still have time constraints, or be involved for

Best Investment Offer In Agribusiness

Because the best is still Agribusiness Investment. It does not crash, neither does it get warped. It may not be a get rich quick scheme but it is definitely a GET RICH WITH TIME SCHEME.
Many don't know how to enter Agribusiness and have come forth with burnt fingers. Like all other serious business,  always learn the ropes.
NASSI OGUN, stands up for you to help you:
A). Know what business to create/invest-in/expand
B). Start the business of your choice 
C). Provide funding avenues for the business
D). Facilitate all registration/regulations required of the business
E). Monitor the growth of the business, and finally
F). Facilitate customers for/to the business.
What else are you waiting for, your only obligation here is to make money by being available to work out your business by yourself.
You can also enter the Agribusiness as an Agri-Investor who had made money before committing.
For more Enquiries:
The VALUE CHAIN COORDINATOR
WHATSAPP: 07055115343
Re: Maize Farming Startup by TokyoBulls(m): 9:15pm On Apr 08, 2017
If you're still interested, there's a farm close to you with over 100 acres. DM me for details
bobestman:
Bro am a corper serving in Ogun state and want to learn crop production and Agri-biz.I need practical training.I stay in Abeokuta south Lga in Ogun state around Adigbe.Thanks.
Re: Maize Farming Startup by Aderex91: 10:37am On Apr 12, 2017
please I need cassava stem for sale asap.... if you have some to sell around Mowe. Owode area.....contact me via email @usaefatbusayo@gmail.com
Re: Maize Farming Startup by jaycpu(m): 5:12pm On Apr 17, 2017
Hello everyone, am very happy to find this thread, am Jay and this is my very time in farming business. We two running this and we already hv a land about 900ftx900ft {how many hectares is dat}, am confused about how to get the accurate hectare size to determine amount of seeds, fertilizer weed and insects control chemicals to use. I will appreciate a well detailed answer, thank you... I also heard that the insect control is the main thing in maize farming please elaborate more
Re: Maize Farming Startup by sirkesh: 5:57pm On Apr 18, 2017
jaycpu:
Hello everyone, am very happy to find this thread, am Jay and this is my very time in farming business. We two running this and we already hv a land about 900ftx900ft {how many hectares is dat}, am confused about how to get the accurate hectare size to determine amount of seeds, fertilizer weed and insects control chemicals to use. I will appreciate a well detailed answer, thank you... I also heard that the insect control is the main thing in maize farming please elaborate more

You have 18.75Acres of land. That is7.5Hectares of land.
Re: Maize Farming Startup by jaycpu(m): 7:15pm On Apr 18, 2017
sirkesh:

You have 18.75Acres of land. That is7.5Hectares of land.
wow thanks, please is 100ftx100ft in 9 places same as 900ftx900ft?
Re: Maize Farming Startup by adenikeifabiyi: 4:58pm On Apr 23, 2017
Chrisiyked:
Truth be told for anyone to be successful in maize farming you need the following.
1.high yield seeds. Preferablely one that gives yields above 3tonnes per hectare.
2. Know the appropriate seed quantity per space. I, e for open pollinated seeds 20kg per hectare and for hybrids 15kg per hectare.
3.spacing. your loss will be compounded if you dont space properly. I. e 25 cm in between stands and 75 cm between rows. For efficiency avoid manual planting. Hire a planter.
4. Fertilizer. Fertilizer can be applied in 3 split applications as follows at planting, four weeks after planting and a third at six weeks to eight weeks. Use Npk and and urea. For efficiency budget a minimum of 4 bags per hectare. 3npk 1 urea.
5.ensure your farm is free of weeds from the 3-10 leaves stage. Generally make sure ur farm is free of weeds.
6 avoid land prep manually. Use a tractor as follows. Ploughing and harrowing if youre using a planter.
7. Use a powerful pre and post emergence herbicide two days after planting then follow up with weeding as necessary.
8. Harvest only when maize has dried fully, for better accuracy shell at 150days. This is to avoid losses due to Mycotoxin growth during storage.
9. Selling dried shelled maize is by far more profitable than selling fresh. In Niger state where I farm by November a bag was sold for 11,000. I will be happy to entertain more questions and look forward to your success this farming season.
Re: Maize Farming Startup by dragon2(m): 7:14pm On Apr 23, 2017
jaycpu:
wow thanks, please is 100ftx100ft in 9 places same as 900ftx900ft?

100ft x100ft in 9places should be 900ft x100ft, that is 9 standard plots. 900ft x 900ft is 81 standard plots.
If I am right and you have 9 standard plots, you are short of 1 hectare by approx 1 standard plot of 100ft by 100ft.

1 hectare is 107639.104sq ft.
Re: Maize Farming Startup by teddyope31(f): 9:50am On Jun 23, 2017
PapaBrowne:
I love this thread and more importantly, I love the renewed interest in Agriculture displayed here. NIgeria is defintely on the right path in this generation.

For the past 2-3 years, I have been involved in research on Agribusiness Value Chain. I have even founded a company in this regard. Based on that, I'll give my 2cents to the poster and to those others already engaged or seeking to engage in Agriculture.

I would start by saying that instead of having an Agricultural mindset, it's a better Idea to have an Agribusiness Mindset. The difference between the price of products sold at farm gate is miles apart from their actual value in the retail markets. With an Agribusiness mindset, you would seek to add value to the products you produce and in turn sell at much better prices.

I will use the calculations given by @Olushowumn to butress my point.
Based on Olushowumn's calcultions, 1 hectare of land should produce 50,000 hills of corn which would equate to 200,000 cubs. An Igba(not sure what that means) would contain 400-600 cubs and could be sold for between 2000-4000 Naira. Lets use 500 cubs and 3000 Naira as average for an Igba.

So,
500 cubs = 1 Igbas = 3000 Naira.
200,000 cubs = 400 bags = 1.2 million Naira per hectare.
So your 7 hectare would yeild 8.4 million Naira.
Now that's good money. Or so it seems.

Now let me tell you how much that amount of corn would be bought be consumers if its boiled or roasted and sold on the streets.

1 roasted or boiled cub of corn sells for 50 Naira each on average.
Lets assume that from the 200,000 cubs per hectare, we loose 25% and are left with 150,000 per hectare
If that amount of corn were sold retail we would get 150,000 cubs x 50 Naira = 7.5 million per hectare.
Your total farm would sell for 7.5 million x 7 = 52.2 million Naira.

Yes. 52.5 million Naira is the amount your corn would sell for on the streets by the time a simple value of Roasting or Boiling has been added to it. That is a very long way from what you will get if you choose to sell your corn at the international price of $300 per Metric Tonne.

Now this is what you get if you choose to sell you corn on the international market without adding value.
Based on you post, you will achieve 3 tons per hectare which is 21 tons for your 7 hectares

1 Metric tonne = Approx. $300 = 48,000 Naira.
21 Metric Tonnes= 21 x $300= $6300 = 1.01 Million Naira.

The big question is:
Why would I want to sell my corn internationally for 1 Million Naira when I can sell locally wholesale for 8.4 million or retail for 52.2 million Naira.

In a nutshell, taking a value added approach to your farming business is the way to go. Selling raw stock for a small farmer with 20 hectares for me is not ideal. Add value. Tweak the Value chain to your favour and see your farnm generate you millions. Thats exactly what the white man has done for ages. They take our Cocoa and turn it to chocolates. While the Cocoa market is worth about $7 Billion dollars annually, the Chocolate market is worth over $100 billion despite the fact that Chocolate is just one of the by products of Cocoa.

There are a million things that can be created from your corn.

Animal feed. Custard and Pap. Corn Starch. Corn Syrup. Corn Flour. Corn Cake. Corn Oil.

And a whole lot more.

My best: Developing a cool franchise system where your corn is either Roasted or Boiled at major street junctions.

Good Morning
I like your business plan and i will like to Partner with you, i have a large expanse of agricultural land (over 100 hectares) and i want to go into maize or cassava farming. I would appreciate suggestions and contributions
Re: Maize Farming Startup by akaynezi: 2:25pm On Jun 23, 2017
teddyope31:

Good Morning
I like your business plan and i will like to Partner with you, i have a large expanse of agricultural land (over 100 hectares) and i want to go into maize or cassava farming. I would appreciate suggestions and contributions
Please where is your location? I need hectare of land for maize and cassava farming. I can be reached on 07088129372
Re: Maize Farming Startup by PapaBrowne(m): 12:56pm On Jul 03, 2017
teddyope31:

Good Morning

Hi,

Nice to see you getting in on the AG space. 100 hectares is a good size. You could actually earn hundreds of millions yearly with that size if you choose to the path of enlightened farming instead of just the conventional farming methods we follow in Nigeria. Value Innovation is key.

I am open to partnerships and we have a few interesting options you might want to key into with the size of land you have. One is export related. Drop me an email on papabrowne@gmail.com and we can take it from there.

About Cassava and Maize: I'll say these:

Don't do cassava now. There is going to be a terrible glut next year as so many people have planted Cassava this year. I think the quantum of Cassava planted this year is probably 4 times last year's quantity. So you can imagine what will happen when there is surplus availability with fewer buyers. A ridiculous price crash.
Then next year, everyone will run away from cassava and there will be scarcity the following year and the price goes up again and everybody rushes in again. Its very cyclic in nature. Next ear is a better time to plant Cassava.

As for corn, still a pretty good crop as there will always be market. Only thing I don't like is the yield projection vs the sale price. 1 tonne is 120,000 Naira. Average yield down south=3 tonnes/hectare. So you are looking at revenues of N360,000 average per hectare. Not cool to me.

Except of course you want to follow the value innovation angle like I stated on the first page of this thread.

A crop to consider;
A Foreign variety of Sweet Potatoes

Average Cost of planting per hectare(Mechanized): N450,000
Average yield expectation: 25 tonnes.
Time to harvest: 3 Months
Cost per tonne: N55,000
Expected Revenue per hectare: N1,350,000

3 Likes

Re: Maize Farming Startup by KENCHIII(m): 5:42pm On Jul 11, 2017
Good one

1 Like

Re: Maize Farming Startup by BoluwGoldenFarm(m): 8:48am On Jul 20, 2017
Do you need cash to set up or expand your farm
Then try Green Nation
Green Nation addresses two (2) Major Challenges hindering people from going into
Agriculture and it Allied Industries:
1. Lack of adequate TRAINING on Modern Farming Technique
2. Lack of FINANCIAL POWER to engage in Modern Farming which is
COMMERCIALIZED AGRICULTURE.
Who is Involved..??
1. Green Nation & Valuechain Services Ltd (The Company/Platform)
2. Green Nation Members (You & Me)
3. Green Nation Partners (IITA & Project Fix Nigeria, Songhai Centre etc)
Connect with me on WhatsApp 08120528950 to learn more
It is real
Re: Maize Farming Startup by heilige(m): 2:46pm On Jul 22, 2017
Wrong calculation. You will not get 4 corbs per plant, so your calculation is wrong.
You can calculate with 2 corbs and remember the second corb will be smaller.

teddyope31:

Good Morning

1 Like

Re: Maize Farming Startup by TadeDetule: 12:55am On Aug 05, 2017
my advice is for pipu to go for a thorough market research ooo...no magic will get u ur dry maize in 2months!!! not even in 4months!!!!! u r expected to leave the cobs to dry on its stand after which u keep in ur cribs to air dry to avoid mouldiness....and again no one will plough an hectare for u for 8k oooo, not even the fed. govt.The cheapest I have seen so far is 16k.�����

2 Likes

Re: Maize Farming Startup by TadeDetule: 1:07am On Aug 05, 2017
[quote author=Lesgupnigeria post=16152745]Great topic!
We are Located in Ogun State and are Into crop production mainly maize,cassava, watermelon,vegetables and cucumber.
The season of maize is between March15 - May 15. therefore the season of planting maize is gone except you want to invite Loss.Late planting is in August.
Agriculture is the most profitable business any unemployed graduate can venture into.
We also manage farm for people interested in agriculture. Our Maize Plan is as follows:

STAGE 1:
Land lease " #5,000
1st Ploughing #8,000
2nd Ploughing #8,000
Hybrid Seed/hectare #5,000

STAGE 2:
Planting #3,000
1st Weeding #9,000
Fertiliser #5,500
Application #4,000

STAGE 3:
2nd Weeding #9,000
GNLD #8,000
Application #4,000
Insecticide #6,000
Application #4,000

TOTAL #78,500
The target yield is 3tons/ha.
1ton sells for #60,000,Now multiply 60,000*3 = #180,000.Your profit =180,000-78,500 =101,500 within 2months.
We can help you get land for rent @ #5,000/hectare in Ogun State.
We also consult for both crop production and animal production.Crops like melon,cassava,maize,vegetables,Tomato and cucumber
We also consult for poultry,fishery,piggery
For full proposal you can contact:
The Farm Manager,Gbenga:
08101148992, 01-7910494 or yusuffgbenga@gmail.com
Also like us in www.facebook.com/Lesgupnigeria[the 8k ploughing is not feasible ooo...thats an avrg fee fr an acre
]
Re: Maize Farming Startup by TadeDetule: 1:11am On Aug 05, 2017
h
Re: Maize Farming Startup by stagger: 6:58am On Aug 05, 2017
In my location, ploughing is 30k.
Re: Maize Farming Startup by lilreese: 11:34am On Oct 22, 2017
Educative
Re: Maize Farming Startup by BLAQUEWELSH: 12:07pm On Oct 22, 2017
TokyoBulls:
If you're still interested, there's a farm close to you with over 100 acres. DM me for details

How much does your land go for per acre please?
blaquewelsh@gmail.com.

Thank you
Re: Maize Farming Startup by BLAQUEWELSH: 12:19pm On Oct 22, 2017
Good day Sir, Sent you a mail.
Thank you sir
PapaBrowne:

Hi,

Nice to see you getting in on the AG space. 100 hectares is a good size. You could actually earn hundreds of millions yearly with that size if you choose to the path of enlightened farming instead of just the conventional farming methods we follow in Nigeria. Value Innovation is key.

I am open to partnerships and we have a few interesting options you might want to key into with the size of land you have. One is export related. Drop me an email on wenses@farmforte.com and we can take it from there.

Don't do cassava now. There is going to be a terrible glut next year as so many people have planted Cassava this year. I think the quantum of Cassava planted this year is probably 4 times last year's quantity. So you can imagine what will happen when there is surplus availability with fewer buyers. A ridiculous price crash.
Then next year, everyone will run away from cassava and there will be scarcity the following year and the price goes up again and everybody rushes in again. Its very cyclic in nature. Next ear is a better time to plant Cassava.

As for corn, still a pretty good crop as there will always be market. Only thing I don't like is the yield projection vs the sale price. 1 tonne is 120,000 Naira. Average yield down south=3 tonnes/hectare. So you are looking at revenues of N360,000 average per hectare. Not cool to me.

Except of course you want to follow the value innovation angle like I stated on the first page of this thread.

A crop to consider;

Re: Maize Farming Startup by TokyoBulls(m): 10:22am On Oct 25, 2017
N250,000 to N300,000 per acre based on location and the family.
BLAQUEWELSH:

How much does your land go for per acre please?
blaquewelsh@gmail.com.

Thank you
Re: Maize Farming Startup by theking1(m): 5:16pm On Nov 09, 2017
Good day sir, are you sure of the market for this foreign potato

[quote author=PapaBrowne post=58079548]

Hi,

I am open to partnerships and we have a few interesting options you might want to key into with the size of land you have. One is export related. Drop me an email on wenses@farmforte.com and we can take it from there.

A crop to consider;

[Good day sir, are you sure of the market for this foreign potato]

3 Likes

Re: Maize Farming Startup by theking1(m): 5:20pm On Nov 09, 2017
Good day sir, are you sure of the market for this foreign potato
PapaBrowne:

Hi,

A crop to consider;

Re: Maize Farming Startup by Promise759(m): 12:09pm On Feb 28, 2018
[b][/b]Pls do i get your number
Chrisiyked:
Truth be told for anyone to be successful in maize farming you need the following.
1.high yield seeds. Preferablely one that gives yields above 3tonnes per hectare.
2. Know the appropriate seed quantity per space. I, e for open pollinated seeds 20kg per hectare and for hybrids 15kg per hectare.
3.spacing. your loss will be compounded if you dont space properly. I. e 25 cm in between stands and 75 cm between rows. For efficiency avoid manual planting. Hire a planter.
4. Fertilizer. Fertilizer can be applied in 3 split applications as follows at planting, four weeks after planting and a third at six weeks to eight weeks. Use Npk and and urea. For efficiency budget a minimum of 4 bags per hectare. 3npk 1 urea.
5.ensure your farm is free of weeds from the 3-10 leaves stage. Generally make sure ur farm is free of weeds.
6 avoid land prep manually. Use a tractor as follows. Ploughing and harrowing if youre using a planter.
8. Harvest only when maize has dried fully, for better accuracy shell at 150days. This is to avoid losses due to Mycotoxin growth during storage.
9. Selling dried shelled maize is by far more profitable than selling fresh. In Niger state where I farm by November a bag was sold for 11,000. I will be happy to entertain more questions and look forward to your success this farming season.
Re: Maize Farming Startup by Promise759(m): 12:09pm On Mar 03, 2018
Can I have your contact I want to ask you some personal question pls
cranky:
@PapaBrowne,

150,000 to 250,000 matured and sizeable ears per hectare? You'll be very lucky if you get 50,000 good enough ears. The rest will be something you'll probably discard or what birds would have eaten.

Pls don't use that to make financial projections, I beg you.

Like I said before, everything looks easy and rosy on paper/internet. It is only when one starts practicing that he'll know for sure.

I am not against having 250,000 ears per hectare, but I surely do not subscribe to people sharing just a part of the story. Why would someone tell me I can get 160,000 ears per hectare when he can't go further (or does not even know) to tell me what percentage of that will actually have economic value at harvest? You want to run your economics with that value? You'll be disappointed at the end o! That is how some innocent guy will just run his economics based on these values and then cry "witch" later when he doesn't get the predicted outcome.

There is more to this farming thing.

Just my 2 cents.

@Megainvest, please continue sharing your practical experiences....many people will be inspired by it.

Me? I'm not arguing anymore. A word, they say, is enough for the wise.
Re: Maize Farming Startup by biodtheta: 11:08am On Mar 14, 2018
Good morning, Please I need ur help, I have 4hectares of land and I want to go into maize farming. I need the right information to go about it. Right seedling to plant. Spacing and fertilizer, and herbicides to use. Thanks
Re: Maize Farming Startup by thebestprice(m): 8:16pm On Apr 21, 2018
megainvest:
Hello business minded people. I am pleased to inform you that our maize farm has now started up fully. In summary, over 7 hectares of farmland was cultivated within a month. Target yield is 3 tons per hectare. In 3 months, it is expected that we can inject about 20 tons of maize into the global market.

I would encourage young entrepreneurs to go iinto agriculture. You are welcome to join me on this thread to discuss this and other issues. Foremost on my mind is the marketing of this harvest.

Thanks
how did your maize farm go

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

PICTURES..The Construction Of Free Range Snail Farming System. / Sebastian Suski: The Longest Cucumber In The World - Guinness World Records / Unbelievable: 100pcs Of Tubers Of Yam For N9,000...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 129
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.