Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,726 members, 7,816,986 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:12 PM

Having Babies For The Dead, What's Your Take? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Having Babies For The Dead, What's Your Take? (753 Views)

Day Or A Week Old Babies For Sales. / Beautiful Black Babies! / African Ladies Abroad Carrying Babies On Their Back!(Dirty Clothes) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Having Babies For The Dead, What's Your Take? by Nobody: 12:31pm On Apr 27, 2013
Ages past, it was a normal thing for a woman to continue having children for her late husband, especially if he doesn't have a male child during his lifetime. The male children are suppose to carry on with the fathers name.

Fast forward to now, what's your take on it, was it right or wrong considering the fact that this women are reduced to say 'prostitute' just to have babies for a dead man and the kids growing up without a father figure.
Re: Having Babies For The Dead, What's Your Take? by 0keyxyz(m): 1:36pm On Apr 27, 2013
This case is colored with your biases, therefore is either deliberately misleading or based on assumptions due to ignorance.

You say they are reduced to prostitutes? How so? Does a woman become a prostitute because she continues to have s.ex after her husband has passed away? Clearly, this seems to be your mindset, So if paradventure you lose your husband then you must remain celibate for the rest of your life. Does this woman whose husband is late not have the right to choose anybody of her own liking as a bedmate? Is it not her choice whether to remarry or remain in the family of her late husband, have s.ex and children in the name of the husband?

You also claim these children grow up without a father figure? How do you conviniently forget that we practiced(and still do) an extended family system where fathers, uncles, aunties are responsible for the upbringing of children. How then can they not have a father figure? Who says a father figure must be one's own biological or leagal father?
Re: Having Babies For The Dead, What's Your Take? by Nobody: 4:01pm On Apr 27, 2013
i don't get it. undecided

do you mean they have babies with other men in his honor?
Re: Having Babies For The Dead, What's Your Take? by Nobody: 4:07pm On Apr 27, 2013
Re: Having Babies For The Dead, What's Your Take? by Nobody: 4:13pm On Apr 27, 2013
*Kails*:
i don't get it. undecided

do you mean they have babies with other men in his honor?
Yes! Especially if he died without having a son, some women are forced to stay and have babies who must bear the man's name. The original father can't lay claims over the children.
Re: Having Babies For The Dead, What's Your Take? by Nobody: 4:19pm On Apr 27, 2013
nne3870:
Yes! Especially if he died without having a son, some women are forced to stay and have babies who must bear the man's name. The original father can't lay claims over the children.

really?
i dont want to disrespect anyone's culture but from my pov that's kinda strange.
i mean not even their biological fathers can do anything about it..Kinda sad. undecided
Re: Having Babies For The Dead, What's Your Take? by 0keyxyz(m): 4:30pm On Apr 27, 2013
nne3870:

*Kails*:
really? huh
i dont want to disrespect anyone's culture but from my pov that's kinda strange.
i mean not even their biological fathers can do anything about it..Kinda sad. undecided

If this biological father wants to claim children, then he should marry(make it legal) this woman and have as many children as he wants with her. That is tradition. Even in U.S and Europe whom you guys claim to imitate, being a biological father does not make you a legal father. The state has power to take children away from biological parents and give them over to another whom it considers a more worthy parent role. This is simply hypocrisy when you pretend that the west whom you idolize don't exercise state powers, just as we exercise customary laws/powers. The law still overrules nature in both cases.
Re: Having Babies For The Dead, What's Your Take? by Nobody: 4:31pm On Apr 27, 2013
0keyxyz: This case is colored with your biases, therefore is either deliberately misleading or based on assumptions due to ignorance.

You say they are reduced to prostitutes? How so? Does a woman become a prostitute because she continues to have sex after her husband has passed away? Clearly, this seems to be your mindset, So if paradventure you lose your husband then you must remain celibate for the rest of your life. Does this woman whose husband is late not have the right to choose anybody of her own liking as a bedmate? Is it not her choice whether to remarry or remain in the family of her late husband, have sex and children in the name of the husband?

You also claim these children grow up without a father figure? How do you conviniently forget that we practiced(and still do) an extended family system where fathers, uncles, aunties are responsible for the upbringing of children. How then can they not have a father figure? Who says a father figure must be one's own biological or leagal father?
Dnt misunderstand me please, the word prostitute if u notice was in quote, I dnt mean call girls I mean women who against their wish are asked to stay and have babies for a dead man.
Is a cultural thing sir
Re: Having Babies For The Dead, What's Your Take? by Nobody: 4:39pm On Apr 27, 2013
0keyxyz:

If this biological father wants to claim children, then he should marry this woman and have as many children as he wants with her. That is tradition. Even in U.S and Europe whom you guys claim to imitate, being a biological father does not make you a legal father. The state has power to take children away from biological parents and give them over to another whom it considers a more worthy parent role. This is simply hypocrisy when you pretend that the west whom you idolize don't exercise state powers, just as we exercise customary laws/powers. The law still overrules nature in both cases.
I doubt if the biological father can lay claims over the children.
Enlighten me please I want to know how possible it is.
Re: Having Babies For The Dead, What's Your Take? by Nobody: 4:50pm On Apr 27, 2013
0keyxyz:

If this biological father wants to claim children, then he should marry(make it legal) this woman and have as many children as he wants with her. That is tradition. Even in U.S and Europe whom you guys claim to imitate, being a biological father does not make you a legal father. The state has power to take children away from biological parents and give them over to another whom it considers a more worthy parent role. This is simply hypocrisy when you pretend that the west whom you idolize don't exercise state powers, just as we exercise customary laws/powers. The law still overrules nature in both cases.

babes..i don't admire or idolize westerners..
for one i AM a westerner lol...

and second even i know many of our laws are garbage. i am just looking at it from a natural standpoint..being a fit parent even if you are not biological is one issue..but it DOES NOT make you the PARENT. The issue of another man's seed (child) being claimed as being the child of another man "in the name of honor" in my eyes just flat out makes no sense. undecided

again I don't want to insult anyone.
this is just my opinion.
Re: Having Babies For The Dead, What's Your Take? by Nobody: 4:50pm On Apr 27, 2013
nne3870:

^^^ same here.
Re: Having Babies For The Dead, What's Your Take? by ODUANEGRO: 3:56am On Apr 28, 2013
nne3870: Ages past, it was a normal thing for a woman to continue having children for her late husband, especially if he doesn't have a male child during his lifetime. The male children are suppose to carry on with the fathers name.

Fast forward to now, what's your take on it, was it right or wrong considering the fact that this women are reduced to say 'prostitute' just to have babies for a dead man and the kids growing up without a father figure.

next time you write things like this kindly specify the tribe/s that practice this custom.
Re: Having Babies For The Dead, What's Your Take? by Nobody: 6:08am On Apr 28, 2013
ODUA_NEGRO:

next time you write things like this kindly specify the tribe/s that practice this custom.
Yes sir, next time you dnt have any meaningful thing to say just pretend u didn't see the thread.
Mtcheww
Re: Having Babies For The Dead, What's Your Take? by 0keyxyz(m): 10:24am On Apr 28, 2013
nne3870:

*kails*:

^^^ same here

like I said before, if this biological father whom we can safely assume is an adult, wants children from this woman, then he should follow the customs(also assuming that he is not a total i.diot but is fully aware of the customs) and negotiate some "contract" with her or marry her outright, End of story. One cannot start a "no strings attached" s.exual relationship with a widow and being fully aware that this relationship has no legal foundation, then suddenly turn around after some years to claim some "fatherly" rights that he was never entitled to in the first place. By customs, the legal father of a child is the one in whose house(and name) a child was born by his wife, whether or not such child was actually sired by an outsider. The man who is trying to claim children he never planned for from the beginning is simply trying to "eat his cake and have it as well".

1 Like

Re: Having Babies For The Dead, What's Your Take? by 0keyxyz(m): 10:27am On Apr 28, 2013
btw @nne3870, I don't understand your signature. Care to explain?? ie: the 6ft part. smiley
Re: Having Babies For The Dead, What's Your Take? by Nobody: 10:34am On Apr 28, 2013
0keyxyz:

like I said before, if this biological father whom we can safely assume is an adult, wants children from this woman, then he should follow the customs(also assuming that he is not a total i.diot but is fully aware of the customs) and negotiate some "contract" with her or marry her outright, End of story. One cannot start a "no strings attached" s.exual relationship with a widow and being fully aware that this relationship has no legal foundation, then suddenly turn around after some years to claim some "fatherly" rights he was never entitled to in the first place. By customs, the legal father of a child is the one in whose house a child was born by his wife, whether or not such child was actually sired by an outsider. The man who is trying to claim children he never planned for from the beginning is simply trying to "eat his cake and have it as well".
Thanks

(1) (Reply)

What Is The Meaning Of This Proverb? / This Culture Of Lying Flat To Greet Elders / Africa, Why The Double Standard?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.