Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,126 members, 7,814,942 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:47 AM

Reuben Abbati, A Disgrace To Journalism! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reuben Abbati, A Disgrace To Journalism! (1127 Views)

Orubebe Is A Disgrace, Afraid Of Probe- Oshiomhole / AIT Hate Attacks On Buhari; A Violation Of Ethics And Standards Of Journalism. / Its A Disgrace For Neighbours To Join Boko Haram Fight - Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reuben Abbati, A Disgrace To Journalism! by maximunimpact(m): 5:04pm On Apr 27, 2013
As a young undergraduate, I have always been facinated by the works of great journalists like Delegiwa, Dr Nnamdi Azikiwe, Earnest Ikoli and the likes of those men. Later I became a huge fan of the once Great Reuben Abbati. As I continued in his reputation, I became passionate about becoming a journalist, I was taught about the ethics of the profession, how it has been termed the fourth estate of the realm.

Reuben Abati, born November 7, 1965 in
Abeokuta, Ogun State, Nigeria, is Special Adviser
on Media and Publicity to President Goodluck
Jonathan of Nigeria.[1] He was previously a
newspaper columnist and the chairman of the
editorial board of the Nigerian newspaper The
Guardian from 2001 to 2011.[2] He was a first
class honours graduate of Theater Arts from the
University of Calabar where he won the Vice-
Chancellor’s prize for the best overall graduating
student. His column also appears regularly on the
popular Nigerian website, Nigerian Village Square.
Abati had his primary school education at St.
John's Primary School, Igbein - Kuto, Abeokuta
(1971-1976) He had his secondary school
education at Lisabi Grammar School, Idi - Aba,
Abeokuta (1976-1981)
He won a number of awards including The Cecil
King Memorial Prize for Print Journalist of the Year
in 1998, The Diamond Award for Media Excellence
for Informed Commentary in 1998, Fletcher
Challenge Commonwealth Prize for Opinion
Writing in 2000, and the Diamond Award for Media
Excellence for Informed Commentary, 2000.

That was the kind of man I know, his high professional standard, and everything a journalist should be.

Unfortunately, instead of continueing in what he does best, he is now a puppet to the government of the day, his views have been coloured by the highest subjectivity standard, instead of informing, he is now a propagandist who will stop at nothing but paint his pay masters as untouchable and right all the time.

Most of the time, he is now the mouthpiece of GEJ, when it comes to defending some highly questionable decisions in his administeration. That's not how a journalist should be.

I will like to say that he have derailed from the man he is bcause of material gain and power. Posterity will not remember him, he has betrayed the profession and he is nothing but a failed journalist. He is a disgrace to some young guyz out there who wants to make a difference in this country.

1 Like

Re: Reuben Abbati, A Disgrace To Journalism! by Gbawe: 5:39pm On Apr 27, 2013
@OP

Abati, ultimately, has shown himself to be another charlatan rather than an enduringly principled man. If he had been offered a political appointment then it would somewhat be understandable if he accepted and framed it in the "call to national service" context. Accepting to be a glorified mouthpiece and lying 'spin doctor' for an ultra-corrupt government, openly practicing everything Abati had previously preached against, is a measure of how highly unprincipled Abati is in reality.

2 Likes

Re: Reuben Abbati, A Disgrace To Journalism! by Nobody: 5:55pm On Apr 27, 2013
Abati has simply destroyed himself. Okupe has taken over as the authentic spokesman of this floundering administration while Abati is more or less a pathetic speechwriter. If you get a job that's not compatible with your principles, just resign.

1 Like

Re: Reuben Abbati, A Disgrace To Journalism! by NeoXVI: 5:56pm On Apr 27, 2013
I used to respect that man a lot. His words were always on point. From his days in Patito's gang to his time at The Guardian, I always thought he was one of the few incorruptible ones we had. It pains me how he's sold his conscience. He used to be on the side of the Nigerian populace, now he's with her oppressors because of what he'll eat.

I believed in him so much that when they appointed him and my friends were skeptical, I told them he must have agreed to take the post on the condition that they would give him a free hand to say the truth always. How naive of me.

I guess it's true what Abraham Lincoln said: Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

1 Like

Re: Reuben Abbati, A Disgrace To Journalism! by solopumpy227: 6:00pm On Apr 27, 2013
I still do not believe this is my very own Dr. Abati.
Re: Reuben Abbati, A Disgrace To Journalism! by Gbawe: 6:03pm On Apr 27, 2013
Neo-XVI:
I used to respect that man a lot. His words were always on point. From his days in Patito's gang to his time at The Guardian, I always thought he was one of the few incorruptible ones we had. It pains me how he's sold his conscience. He used to be on the side of the Nigerian populace, now he's with her oppressors because of what he'll eat.

I believed in him so much that when they appointed him and my friends were skeptical, I told them he must have agreed to take the post on the condition that they would give him a free hand to say the truth always. How naive of me.

I guess it's true what Abraham Lincoln said: Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power.

Indeed. That Abati initially engaged his job of being a glorified liar with gusto is all the proof anyone needs that the man's pretensions to integrity was a carefully contrived scam.
Re: Reuben Abbati, A Disgrace To Journalism! by seunfly: 7:15pm On Apr 27, 2013
Re: Reuben Abbati, A Disgrace To Journalism! by ujchief(m): 7:28pm On Apr 27, 2013
Power corrupts!

Absolute power corrupts absolutely!
Re: Reuben Abbati, A Disgrace To Journalism! by Gbawe: 7:39pm On Apr 27, 2013
ujchief: Power corrupts!

Absolute power corrupts absolutely!

You are right but Abati had the option of staying away.
Re: Reuben Abbati, A Disgrace To Journalism! by Nobody: 8:13pm On Apr 27, 2013
Gbawe:

You are right but Abati had the option of staying away.
If he had stayed away, would he have become the mouthpiece of the opposition or would he have simply become what he used to be? as someone rightly said, power corrupts. The only problem is that he has lost his integrity and might not recover it, not now or in the nearest future.

2 Likes

Re: Reuben Abbati, A Disgrace To Journalism! by Nobody: 8:24pm On Apr 27, 2013
berem: If he had stayed away, would he have become the mouthpiece of the opposition or would he have simply become what he used to be? as someone rightly said, power corrupts. The only problem is that he has lost his integrity and might not recover it, not now or in the nearest future.

No, taking an appointment in itself is not bad. He's not serving in a military government, so there's nothing wrong in accepting an appointment. But when he began to utter statements that were diametrically opposed to what he had written, espoused as principled and seasoned journalist, he lost it. As pathetic as this clueless administration is, some of the cabinet members are still doing well.

This is not even a good example of power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely. If I may ask, what power does he wield as a spokesperson, more correctly as a speechwriter? The truth of the matter is Abati has always been a hypocrite preaching one thing and doing another.
Re: Reuben Abbati, A Disgrace To Journalism! by Pataki: 8:40pm On Apr 27, 2013
When you are busy eating, don't talk. lipsrsealed
Re: Reuben Abbati, A Disgrace To Journalism! by Gbawe: 8:49pm On Apr 27, 2013
Prof Corruption:

No, taking an appointment in itself is not bad. He's not serving in a military government, so there's nothing wrong in accepting an appointment. But when he began to utter statements that were diametrically opposed to what he had written, espoused as principled and seasoned journalist, he lost it. As pathetic as this clueless administration is, some of the cabinet members are still doing well.

This is not even a good example of power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely. If I may ask, what power does he wield as a spokesperson, more correctly as a speechwriter? The truth of the matter is Abati has always been a hypocrite preaching one thing and doing another.

Depends on the appointment. If you take an appointment you know will engage you in lying to the public on behalf of an ultra government you had previously condemned then you are shooting yourself in the foot doing that - especially if you had some previous pretensions to integrity.
Re: Reuben Abbati, A Disgrace To Journalism! by maximunimpact(m): 8:59pm On Apr 27, 2013
I which their could still be men of integrity in dis country, Abbati have sold out alredy. Wat we have now is mediocreS in de profession who can easily submit to brown envelope. Anyone dat does well is obviousely a target for politicians, once dey get dem on dia side, they will turn to colour commentators
Re: Reuben Abbati, A Disgrace To Journalism! by Gbawe: 8:59pm On Apr 27, 2013
berem: If he had stayed away, would he have become the mouthpiece of the opposition or would he have simply become what he used to be? as someone rightly said, power corrupts. The only problem is that he has lost his integrity and might not recover it, not now or in the nearest future.

It is about the history of Abati and what he supposedly stood for. It is well documented that Abati opposed a lot about the GEJ Government. Abati made it clear what he thought of GEJ and co. This is why he had a cult following that has now turned against him spectacularly. The assumption is that it would have been in character for Abati to reject working for those he lambasted as "corrupt, wicked, "ungodly and unfit" consistently and over many years.
Re: Reuben Abbati, A Disgrace To Journalism! by VoodooDoll(m): 9:09pm On Apr 27, 2013
The man is simply shameless..
Re: Reuben Abbati, A Disgrace To Journalism! by Nobody: 9:16pm On Apr 27, 2013
he is only but a shameless fellow. just allow him
Re: Reuben Abbati, A Disgrace To Journalism! by ninja4life(m): 9:17pm On Apr 27, 2013
Its easy to criticise but how many people can reject such offer its abati today tomorow it might be lai and who even cares cos i wont be suprised a bit
Re: Reuben Abbati, A Disgrace To Journalism! by Dede1(m): 9:41pm On Apr 27, 2013
@OP

I can safely say you have a misplaced priority in journalism with the case of Reuben Abbati. You may have been fascinated with certain works of journalists as you attested but in the case of Abbati. There is no doubt you appreciated the crap Abbati was spewing not long ago especially the hack job he did on Nigeria\Biafra war when he was on the editorial board of the Nigerian newspaper, The Guardian.

When Abbati no longer spew the crap you wanted to hear, you develop apathetic sentiment to journalism. I am shock to hear Dr. Reuben Abbati was the best student from University of Calaber. When he, Abbati and other African journalists, attend a course at the UM, College Park, Abbati was the butt of the session.

When he started writing the nonsensical craps about Biafra and Ndigbo, I contributed to getting him fired from The Guardian Group of Newspapers because he showed lack of knowledge in the acts of journalism. In fact, my group recommended that Abbati should not hold a position of gateman in the company.

In addition, I am happy to learn from you that Dr Abbati was born in 1965 and could be, at least, 5 years ago when the civil war ended. No wonder he was moronically useless in recounting the events of the civil war era.
Re: Reuben Abbati, A Disgrace To Journalism! by ujchief(m): 10:27pm On Apr 27, 2013
Lol. Is the musiwa phenomena still ravaging Nl?
Re: Reuben Abbati, A Disgrace To Journalism! by CyberG: 11:43pm On Apr 27, 2013
Dede1: @OP

I can safely say you have a misplaced priority in journalism with the case of Reuben Abbati. You may have been fascinated with certain works of journalists as you attested but in the case of Abbati. There is no doubt you appreciated the crap Abbati was spewing not long ago especially the hack job he did on Nigeria\Biafra war when he was on the editorial board of the Nigerian newspaper, The Guardian.

When Abbati no longer spew the crap you wanted to hear, you develop apathetic sentiment to journalism. I am shock to hear Dr. Reuben Abbati was the best student from University of Calaber. When he, Abbati and other African journalists, attend a course at the UM, College Park, Abbati was the butt of the session.

When he started writing the nonsensical craps about Biafra and Ndigbo, I contributed to getting him fired from The Guardian Group of Newspapers because he showed lack of knowledge in the acts of journalism. In fact, my group recommended that Abbati should not hold a position of gateman in the company.

In addition, I am happy to learn from you that Dr Abbati was born in 1965 and could be, at least, 5 years ago when the civil war ended. No wonder he was moronically useless in recounting the events of the civil war era.

Senility has finally set in your brain? Abati is a scum of the earth but you?? The shaite in the ass of the earthy scum!! grin

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

VIDEO: Soyinka Blasts Nigeria’s First Lady / Reintroduction Of Vessel On Oron- Calabar Water Route / Urgent advice needed, how do i seek justice against a military man?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.