Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,491 members, 7,816,162 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:53 AM

UTME: Over One Million Will Be Denied admission – Minister - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UTME: Over One Million Will Be Denied admission – Minister (1007 Views)

35 Candidates Miss UNILORIN Post-utme Over Indecent Dressing / Jamb Grants Albinos 2 Extra Hours In The UTME over Impaired Eye-sight / Muslim Students Denied Admission At Oyedepo’s Covenant University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

UTME: Over One Million Will Be Denied admission – Minister by hassymo5(m): 3:10am On Apr 28, 2013
Only 520,000 of the 1.7 million that
wrote the 2013 Unified Tertiary
Matriculation Examination (UTME)
can gain admission, the Minister of
Education, Professor Ruqayyatu
Rufa’I, disclosed yesterday.
Rufai expressed sadness over the
fate of the remaining 1.2 million
candidates whom she said cannot be
accommodated.
The Minister spoke after monitoring
conduct of the UTME within schools
in Abuja and Suleja, Niger State
alongside the Registrar and Chief
Executive of the Joint Admission and
Matriculation (JAMB), Prof. Dibu
Ojerinde.
She called for Private Pubic
Partnership (PPP) to resolve the
crisis despite Federal Government’s
effort in building more universities.
The Minister also solicited for
assistance of state governments in
building more universities.
A total of 1, 629, 102 candidates
applied for the Paper-Pencil Test
(PPT) while 15, 008 candidates
applied for the Dual Based Test
(DBT).
91, 610 candidates applied for the
Computer Based Test (CBT).
The Minister called for acceptance of
CBT because Nigeria cannot afford to
lag behind in development.
She said: “The education sector
being part of the transformation
agenda has to move forward. What
we have just seen today is a simple
transformation from Paper Pencil Test
(PPT) to the dual examination.
“If other countries are moving or
developing, there is no way Nigeria
cannot also move forward.
“It doesn’t mean that if some
students cannot sit for computer
examination then all students in
Nigeria cannot do it.
She added: “There are some who are
good in that and other should learn
that way. We should be advanced
like other countries.
“We have started with the dual
examination where we have taken the
Paper Pencil Test (PPT) and the
Computer Test.
She assured thatresults will be out in
the next 10 days.
On carrying capacity, she said: “Our
major concern is that a country like
Nigeria having over 1.7 million that
have sat for today’s examination and
those that will sit for that of May to
gain entrance into the university and
the space that we have is 520
thousand for University, Polytechnic
and Colleges of Education.
“Assuming that we have 1.7 million
that have sat for the examination and
we have 520 thousand spaces, what
are we going to do with the
remaining 1.2 million candidates?
“We cannot expand our carrying
capacity simply to accommodate the
remaining students without the
expansion of our facilities.
“Our facilities as of today are
basically for the 520 thousand
students and that we are calling for
the improvement in access and we
are calling for the Public Private
Partnership (PPP).”
A male candidate, Isaac Okebe, was
arrested for impersonation and
handed over to the Nigeria Security
and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) for
further interrogation.
The candidate refused to answer
questions from newsmen.
Ojerinde said the rightful owner of
the examination number was found to
be in Enugu State after verification.
Re: UTME: Over One Million Will Be Denied admission – Minister by possibilita(m): 5:04am On Apr 28, 2013
so this is what we hear after buying and writing the examination,since you knew about the space and didn't regulate the sales of the forms then you are to be blamed
Re: UTME: Over One Million Will Be Denied admission – Minister by tan90(m): 5:37am On Apr 28, 2013
Summary, u don't just have to pass the exam u have to beat numerous other candidates to gain admission.A candidates could score 320 in UTME and 323 in post UTME and still not gain admission.
Na wah o

1 Like

Re: UTME: Over One Million Will Be Denied admission – Minister by firfinch(m): 5:53am On Apr 28, 2013
All is well! I wish them goodluck

Re: UTME: Over One Million Will Be Denied admission – Minister by Tolexander: 6:10am On Apr 28, 2013
The same problem and the same complaint every year.

Another problem is the reserved spaces for the class A of the populace through bribery, nepotism, cronysm and favortism hindering those that should be admitted on merit.

I can see them counting the private universities as part of the available 520 thousand spaces when we know that those schools are options for the richmen whose children couldn't scale through JAMB.

My point is if all other sectors are well built up and maintained, there will not really be any point of disturbing oneself for admission and the admission won't be that competitive.
Like developing the sport sector. Some young children would have already decided their fate and ambition training themselves towards the line by going straight to the academics that can build one up towards the field like football academy, rugby academy, tennis academy, etc. By that, the competition in admission to tertiary institution will reduce.

1 Like

Re: UTME: Over One Million Will Be Denied admission – Minister by chiefkeef: 6:24am On Apr 28, 2013
[size=16pt]MOD FP[/size]
Re: UTME: Over One Million Will Be Denied admission – Minister by Onims1(f): 7:16am On Apr 28, 2013
Dis people sef...didn't they know their capacity before selling n collecting money from 1.7m people?after d exam...rubbish!some people didn't eat for days ,so they could save up to buy d yeye form o,how will they feel seeing or hearing this news now,ehn...I tire for the country wey my papa n mama born me o!
Re: UTME: Over One Million Will Be Denied admission – Minister by iwanchop(m): 7:42am On Apr 28, 2013
The last time I checked Nigeria has 129 universities,44 polytechnics and 37 colleges of education,altogether 210 higher institutions having a carrying capacity of 520,000 students(according to the minister).
Suppose the number of higher institutions is doubled,we would have have 420 institutions with carrying capacity of at least 2*520,000=1,040,000 which is still less than the number that sat for UTME this year. How long will it take Nigeria to have at least 420 higher institutions?5,10,20 or 40 years?It took us 66years (from 1947 when Yabatech was founded) to have 210 .Don't forget the number of candidates eligible to write the exam increase yearly.Are prospective candidates not in trouble?Clearly more candidates will continue to sit at home while very few are admitted.
Many have argued that if a candidate pass well then he would be offered admission,my question has always been do u have to pass well to be offered admission.Are higher institutions for brilliant students only?If you say they are,why then do we have 3rd class,pass and fail grades in our higher institutions?
The problem we have with higher institutions admission is that the the number of students applying to these school s is far more than their carrying capacities,the problem is absolutely not JAMB as a lot of candidates have ignorantly said.
Clearly more of our students would continue to travel to Ghana,S/Africa,Gambia,Lebanon,Malaysia and even Iran to seek admission.
Re: UTME: Over One Million Will Be Denied admission – Minister by baynix(m): 8:49am On Apr 28, 2013
At Least I 'll See A Gurl That I Wont Pay Much For Helping Me At My Business Center!!

Thank You Nigeria!! Thanks For Not Letting Me Spend Much!! cheesy smiley

(1) (Reply)

University Of Ilorin Emerges As The Best University In Nigeria-4icu Ranking / . / Complete Project Topics And Materials

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.