Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,115 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:26 PM

More To Come As MTN Loses 470,000 Subscribers In South Africa. - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / More To Come As MTN Loses 470,000 Subscribers In South Africa. (1586 Views)

2.6Million Internet Subscribers Dump MTN / Mass Sack In Visafone As MTN Prepares To Take Over Network / MTN Loses 5 Million Subscribers In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

More To Come As MTN Loses 470,000 Subscribers In South Africa. by Mcleo007(m): 9:36am On Apr 28, 2013
Following latest in-comings from the Telecoms industry; words making the slate have it that, MTN lost close to half a million of their subscribers back home in South Africa within these past months. No expert views yet as to why it happened, but like many observers like myself have always noted, the end is only near for the Telecoms giant. People are wiser now!

In an IT News Africa report, the South African-based mobile phone provider MTN was said as having “recorded 470, 000 net disconnections” in the just ended quarter. The report does include that In Nigeria, MTN recorded “net additions of 3.9 million”. The Y’hello boys are certainly doing fine here in God’s own country. Many observers are however of the opinion that MTN Nigeria is set to become the greatest loser in the mobile number portability war. Of course, we shall have to wait to see how things pan out. If popular sentiments are proven right, then we shall be reading of net disconnections from MTN here too in Nigeria.

In the meantime, can anyone help with information as to why MTN lost almost half a million subscribers in South Africa in the last three months?

http://itsdavidleo..com/2013/04/more-to-come-as-mtn-loses-470000.html
Re: More To Come As MTN Loses 470,000 Subscribers In South Africa. by Coldblooded(m): 10:54am On Apr 28, 2013
I guess it might be attributed to the data cap on their bis subscription. When mtn capped their bis data in Nigeria I went online to search for info about the new development only to bump into some SouthAfrican sites where numerous mtn customers complained bitterly about the same situation in their country with most of them threatening to opt out of their bis services(and probably from the network).

I guess it might be part of the reason for their current loss.
Re: More To Come As MTN Loses 470,000 Subscribers In South Africa. by Mcleo007(m): 1:58pm On Apr 28, 2013
Perhaps so! I doubt they have a genuine reason as to why they decided to cap their BIS data, knowing full well they have more customers on that platform than they do over other internet platforms. Etisalat offers unlimited data and their service is a lot more stable than that of MTN.
Re: More To Come As MTN Loses 470,000 Subscribers In South Africa. by luluosas(m): 3:56pm On Apr 28, 2013
Glo Nigeria, I hope you are watching this development. Quickly return your BIS you reduced beyond normal now or else, you will become the biggest losers not MTN parse. Glo, watch your back now!!!
Re: More To Come As MTN Loses 470,000 Subscribers In South Africa. by Coldblooded(m): 6:27pm On Apr 28, 2013
I have to opt out of mtn's bis 'cause of their slow internet connection coupled with the data limitation.
Now, I'm blazing with etisalat bis(though I've been using their free weekly 15mb before), the internet speed is killing! I never regretted taking the decision.
Re: More To Come As MTN Loses 470,000 Subscribers In South Africa. by Nobody: 7:10pm On Apr 28, 2013
Cold blooded: I have to opt out of mtn's bis 'cause of their slow internet connection coupled with the data limitation.
Now, I'm blazing with etisalat bis(though I've been using their free weekly 15mb before), the internet speed is killing! I never regretted taking the decision.
welcome onboard!!!
I ditched MTN last week, now on Etibaby smiley
Re: More To Come As MTN Loses 470,000 Subscribers In South Africa. by seunlayi(m): 9:49pm On Apr 28, 2013
they should be ready to loose more here in Nigeria
Re: More To Come As MTN Loses 470,000 Subscribers In South Africa. by Godwin978(m): 10:49pm On Apr 28, 2013
What makes me hate mtn is their network
Re: More To Come As MTN Loses 470,000 Subscribers In South Africa. by Godwin978(m): 10:50pm On Apr 28, 2013
What makes me hate mtn is their network only
Re: More To Come As MTN Loses 470,000 Subscribers In South Africa. by Nobody: 11:15pm On Apr 28, 2013
MTN.... Hmmn, these guys dey put straw for our pockets, wallets and purses and sucking us dry... Still many of us no gree comot.
Re: More To Come As MTN Loses 470,000 Subscribers In South Africa. by mrdrizzy(m): 2:40am On Apr 29, 2013
luluosas: Glo Nigeria, I hope you are watching this development. Quickly return your BIS you reduced beyond normal now or else, you will become the biggest losers not MTN parse. Glo, watch your back now!!!
u and glo nawao
Re: More To Come As MTN Loses 470,000 Subscribers In South Africa. by mrdrizzy(m): 2:42am On Apr 29, 2013
Godvilla: welcome onboard!!!
I ditched MTN last week, now on Etibaby smiley
when ur on mtn ministry u will knw dey are amazing
Re: More To Come As MTN Loses 470,000 Subscribers In South Africa. by Nobody: 12:49pm On Apr 29, 2013
mr.drizzy:
when ur on mtn ministry u will knw dey are amazing
Iv been using Empty N 4 3yrs..........
Its all ova b/w us.........
I've got NO regrets as Etisalat givs me more and more bonuses.......
Re: More To Come As MTN Loses 470,000 Subscribers In South Africa. by mindtricks: 8:42pm On Apr 30, 2013
Frankly speaking, it's now that the real war just began. People will naturally migrate to the network that's best/mostly available where they stay, and ordinarily, if public sentiments are true, MTN will lose more to other ntws whose sellingpoint have been customer satisfaction, esp if MTN continue to hope on their large subscriber base as a sellingpoint, rather than fight to improve. I recall places where MTN ntw's completely nonexistent even as their adverts continue to scream "everywhere you go". Even, MTN appears too overloaded with subscribers that serious decongestion is the answer. Already the era of sticking to only one ntw (be it the almighty MTN's) long gone as most people use multiple SIM cards. Benefits of alternatives.
Re: More To Come As MTN Loses 470,000 Subscribers In South Africa. by herald9: 8:42am On Aug 07, 2013
its tru sha...mtn did me strong tin.but am still with dem now cus of droidvpn...now dat it has refused to connect even after signing up for a new account,i beta find my way

(1) (Reply)

[GUIDE] Oneplus One - How To Unlock Bootloader, Install Custom Recovery And Root / Blackberry Is Planning To Launch There First Android (blackberry Venice) Picture / MTN Data Monthly Data Subscription

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.