Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,043 members, 7,814,560 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:05 PM

Who Are The Ancient Igbo People? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Who Are The Ancient Igbo People? (24826 Views)

History Of Nsibidi The Ancient Igbo Alphabets Britain Destroyed Ibo Civilization / Ancient Igbo Pyramids: The Nsude Pyramids / Interesting Facts About The Igbo People (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Are The Ancient Igbo People? by ckkris: 7:07pm On May 30, 2013
kwangi: Dream on!
But what's your point? Let it not be who's first or not. Its clear every town has been diminished since 16th-18th centuries.
Re: Who Are The Ancient Igbo People? by Rossikk(m): 10:01pm On May 30, 2013
The Igbos are descendants of the ancient Sumerians.
Re: Who Are The Ancient Igbo People? by ckkris: 8:48am On May 31, 2013
Rossikk: The Igbos are descendants of the ancient Sumerians.
Were ancient Sumerians black? And how did they travel from the Middle-east to equatorial Africa?

2 Likes

Re: Who Are The Ancient Igbo People? by Lilimax(f): 9:40am On May 31, 2013
Ikenga nri: mana echem na akamkpisi bu village n'ime agukwu?
Mabanu. Nri is divided into two: Agukwu na Akamkpisi.
Agukwu is made up of Urorji, Obeagu and Agbadani while Akamkpisi is made up of Ekwenanyika, Urofollo and Diodo.
I am very sure of this. cheesy cheesy
Re: Who Are The Ancient Igbo People? by Nobody: 11:08pm On May 31, 2013
abagoro:

All these history still boils down to that same period. My question is why is it that majority of our communities cannot trace their lineage beyond that era? I opened a thread earlier on origin of various Igbo clans and did my research based on the history of the towns as written from their respective oral tradition and they mostly still seem to point towards that 16th to 18th century era. This includes Arochuku and Onitsha.
I'm sorry to butt into this conversation as I am not igbo, the issue about history is not only peculiar to igbo but also other culture. Is there a possibility that the original ancestral villages and homes were lost while people were fleeing from slave traders?.Or is it that the keepers of history was eliminated or probably shipped off to slavery?.Just my thought.
Re: Who Are The Ancient Igbo People? by Rossikk(m): 2:33pm On Jun 01, 2013
ckkris: Were ancient Sumerians black?

The Sumerians referred to themselves as 'saggi gi' (The black headed ones).

Intriguingly, Igbos today formally refer to blacks as 'ndi isi oji' - black headed people.

This from the Sumerian texts:

“After Anu, Enlil, Enki, and Ninhursag had fashioned the Black-Headed (people), vegetation luxuriated from the earth, animals, four-legged (creatures) of the plain, were brought artfully into existence…''

http://yeyeolade./category/the-sumerians-were-black/

And how did they travel from the Middle-east to equatorial Africa?

Southward migrations occurred... forced by military defeat...by desertification.....often by foot....and over centuries.... some would settle in a given place for years and then move on.. till they reached their final destinations.. Read The Destruction of Black Civilization by Chancellor Williams. He traced the ancient migratory paths.
Re: Who Are The Ancient Igbo People? by ezeagu(m): 6:55pm On Jun 01, 2013
It's highly doubtful, if not impossible that the Sumerians even migrated in significant numbers towards Lake Chad. Despite this, Igbo culture and Sumerian have little in common. A major difference between the two is that one had writing and the other didn't, that only shows that there was no such migration because knowledge of writing does not just disappear.
Re: Who Are The Ancient Igbo People? by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:13pm On Jun 01, 2013
^^^SUMERIAN? which i*DI*T is claiming that?

where is SUmeria and where is Igboland. angry
Re: Who Are The Ancient Igbo People? by odumchi: 6:09am On Jun 02, 2013
Which one is ancient Igbo people?
Re: Who Are The Ancient Igbo People? by Rossikk(m): 3:06pm On Jun 02, 2013
ezeagu: It's highly doubtful, if not impossible that the Sumerians even migrated in significant numbers towards Lake Chad.

How so? You do realize that thousands of years ago the Sahara was fertile and by no means impassable?

In fact as late as the 1700s, after thorough desertification, thousands of people were criss-crossing the Sahara in trade routes every week, so what are you talking about?

Despite this, Igbo culture and Sumerian have little in common.
How do you know that? Have you studied Sumerian culture?

A major difference between the two is that one had writing and the other didn't, that only shows that there was no such migration because knowledge of writing does not just disappear.

WRONG ON ALL COUNTS. First, the Igbo HAD writing (go and read up on Nsibidi). Secondly, knowledge of writing CAN 'disappear' when literacy rates plummet for whatever reasons either war, societal decimation/repeated dislocation, slave trade etc etc. What then happens us that such knowledge becomes limited to the initiates of cults, who protect the heritage, so to speak. This was what happened in the case of Nsibidi, whose growing common usage was arrested and reversed by the colonial interregnum.
Re: Who Are The Ancient Igbo People? by Nobody: 3:43pm On Jun 02, 2013
Nri=Igbo and Igbo=Nri

Its the europeans that grouped other non-nri groups as Igbo based on similarity for convenience.
Re: Who Are The Ancient Igbo People? by Nobody: 3:55pm On Jun 02, 2013
Afam4eva:
[size=14pt]Of course, Igbo people existed before the migration but they were not called Igbo as the term Igbo is a British creation. Some of the people that are called Igbos todays may not be originally Igbos. They were probably aculturated by the Igbos. If you look at the group called Ekpeye in Rivers state, you'd notice that they escaped been called Igbos. They were colonized by an Igbo group culturally though some of their dressing were inspired by Benin.
[/size]

There are aboriginal Igbos who refer to themselves as Igbo even before the arrivals of europeans. In some cases, they name their settlements with the word 'igbo'.

Concerning the ekpeye people you mentioned, I have my personal reservations about the origins of most edoid-igboid groups, since I strongly believe they have a heavy nri influence. But that is another issue subject to further findings in the future.
Re: Who Are The Ancient Igbo People? by ezeagu(m): 4:53pm On Jun 02, 2013
mbatuku2: Nri=Igbo and Igbo=Nri

Its the europeans that grouped other non-nri groups as Igbo based on similarity for convenience.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Rossikk:

How so? You do realize that thousands of years ago the Sahara was fertile and by no means impassable?

In fact as late as the 1700s, after thorough desertification, thousands of people were criss-crossing the Sahara in trade routes every week, so what are you talking about?

Sumerians did not cross the Sahara to settle and later become the Igbo people. There's no evidence. The path towards Germany was as fertile, anyone can make a claim saying they descended from Sumerians because it was possible for the Sumerians to travel to their homeland.

Rossikk: How do you know that? Have you studied Sumerian culture?

I know that the Sumerian language is not related to any known language.

Rossikk: WRONG ON ALL COUNTS. First, the Igbo HAD writing (go and read up on Nsibidi). Secondly, knowledge of writing CAN 'disappear' when literacy rates plummet for whatever reasons either war, societal decimation/repeated dislocation, slave trade etc etc. What then happens us that such knowledge becomes limited to the initiates of cults, who protect the heritage, so to speak. This was what happened in the case of Nsibidi, whose growing common usage was arrested and reversed by the colonial interregnum.

Nsibidi is not true writing like cuneiform. You can't write a paragraph with nsibidi. Cuneiform and nsibidi have nothing in common apart from pictographic origins. Cuneiform came from seals for contracts, whereas nsibidi derives from miming. Writing does not just disappear because some people migrated.

Why would the Sumerians even migrate thousands of miles to the Equatorial forest? And why aren't there any traces of cuneiform writing on that path or anything that says the Sumerians or Akkadians recorded travelling to the Equatorial forest.

Not to mention that Igbo people aren't straight haired and blue eyed like the Sumerians depicted themselves. The only thing Igbo and Sumer have in common is brown skin.

3 Likes

Re: Who Are The Ancient Igbo People? by Nobody: 5:18pm On Jun 02, 2013
Nooooo what?
Re: Who Are The Ancient Igbo People? by Abagworo(m): 10:31pm On Jun 02, 2013
honey86:
I'm sorry to butt into this conversation as I am not igbo, the issue about history is not only peculiar to igbo but also other culture. Is there a possibility that the original ancestral villages and homes were lost while people were fleeing from slave traders?.Or is it that the keepers of history was eliminated or probably shipped off to slavery?.Just my thought.

Where exactly are you from and how long ago was your verifiable history traced?
Re: Who Are The Ancient Igbo People? by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:36pm On Jun 02, 2013
SUMERIANS (the drawings look clearly Persian. Even now the similar sculptures are used in Zoroastrian Fire Temples in modern times:

Re: Who Are The Ancient Igbo People? by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:37pm On Jun 02, 2013
Re: Who Are The Ancient Igbo People? by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:37pm On Jun 02, 2013
[img]http://journeys-of-faith.ca/uploads/6689741738462304a0b0e6887o.jpg[/img]

clear SUmerian influence in PErsian art.
Re: Who Are The Ancient Igbo People? by Rossikk(m): 1:08am On Jun 03, 2013
My friend those images you're posting are from the 'Mesopotamian period' AFTER the dispersal of aboriginal Sumerian populations.

Here's more accurate tomb art from Sumeria:

[img]http://yeyeolade.files./2007/03/annunaki21.jpg[/img]

Now, to evaluate the colour of these people you need to base it on the darkest part of their coloration as that represents their original colour prior to deterioration of the image..

Also, note the difference in the white/semitic man at the very bottom of the artefact, compared to the NEGROID Sumerians.

One thing you guys need to understand is that at one period ALL of the middle east and huge tracts of Asia and Europe were peopled and in many cases run by black populations. This is no idle claim, but is backed by a preponderance of historical documentation.

“(History of Ethiopia, Vol. I., Preface, by Sir E. A. Wallis Budge.) In addition Budge notes that, “Homer and Herodotus call all the peoples of the Sudan, Egypt, Arabia, Palestine and Western Asia and India Ethiopians.” (Ibid., p. 2.) Herodotus wrote in his celebrated History that both the Western Ethiopians, who lived in Africa, and the Eastern Ethiopians who dwelled in India, were black in complexion, but that the Africans had curly hair, while the Indians were straight-haired.”

Another interesting point to consider is how modern-day scholars try to hide the identity of these people by using images and sculptures from other periods to describe the whole history of Ancient Sumeria. An example of this can be seen by looking at the history of the United States. It has been recorded and well documented that when the Europeans came to America, there were already an existing people here. If we were to describe these people as Americans it would not be an accurate description, since these people did not call themselves American. Now imagine living 3,000 years into the future and you are doing research about the history of America, and the ancient Americans are described as having European features. British relics are discovered along the coast of South Carolina, but the question remains; who were the original people of the Americas? Many scholars would point to them as being British and what we call Native American history today, would be represented by the face of U.S. Presidents. This is the same trick that modern-day scholars use to hide the characteristics of the people who inhabited many ancient lands, Ancient Sumeria included.
Since the people of Ancient Sumeria were similar in physical type, class distinctions were made. Later, invading peoples adopted only the most benevolent terms to describe themselves by, and recreated the gods of these people in their own image....

“The ancient gods of India are shown with Ethiopian crowns on their heads. According to the Old Testament, Moses first met Jehovah during his sojourn among the Midianites, who were an Ethiopian tribe. We learn from Hellenic tradition that Zeus, king of the Grecian gods, so cherished the friendship of the Ethiopians that he traveled to their country twice a year to attend banquets. “All the gods and goddesses of Greece were black,” asserts Sir Godfrey Higgins, “at least this was the case with Jupiter, Baccus, Hercules, Apollo, Ammon. The goddesses Benum, Isis, Hecate, Diana, Juno, Metis, Ceres, Cybele were black.” (Anacalypsis, Vol. I, Book IV, Chap. I.)”

http://warlockasylum./2009/12/09/the-identity-of-the-sumerians-as-seen-in-ancient-art/

All these black people migrated somewehere, and all indications are that they moved into inner Africa following upheavals, war, desertification etc.

http://www.kemetway.com/Digest/Content/Sumer.html

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Ancient Igbo People? by PAGAN9JA(m): 10:13am On Jun 03, 2013
^^^^^^^^^^so whats your point?

those still dont look Negroid. the last statue is made of a black stone so ofcourse itll be black! even the clothes are black.

soon you will say the entire world was black and that any other race came recently from Mars.

also Africans cant grow much facial hair, forget these long father christmas beards. angry

I dont know why you are lying but i know you are an akata and you are doing wrong by spreading lies.

angry angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Ancient Igbo People? by ckkris: 2:17pm On Jun 06, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

I dont know why you are lying but i know you are an akata and you are doing wrong by spreading lies.

(
What is 'akata'? Is it an Igbo slang to ridicule African Americans?
Re: Who Are The Ancient Igbo People? by Nobody: 10:40pm On Jun 08, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:
^^^^^^^^^^so whats your point?

those still dont look Negroid.

Yes they do. You can't see it because you're deluded and blind. Contrast their colour with the white guy as shown and use your head.

the last statue is made of a black stone so of course itll be black! even the clothes are black.

Do you know the Sumerians called themselves saggigi, 'the black headed ones'? What do you think that meant? Also the Egyptians called themselves Kemmui (the black people).

At what point do you stop denying the OBVIOUS?

soon you will say the entire world was black and that any other race came recently from Mars.

Actually, the entire word WAS black at some point. It was migration out of Africa to various other climes thay resulted in colour variation. Didn't you know that?

also Africans cant grow much facial hair, forget these long father christmas beards.

Really? This is what results from equating ''Africans'' with the narrow band of people you meet in your beer parlour. Open your mind and grow some sense and you wouldn't make such ridiculous statements.

[img]http://1.bp..com/--D1Qme4-DgI/TZL1h2UeM3I/AAAAAAAAAC4/P_uTFtHK31o/s1600/untitled.jpg[/img]

[img]http://jewishstudies.unibas.ch/fileadmin/jewishstudies2/user_upload/redaktion/Bilder/wedding2.jpeg[/img]

When you finally grow a brain, return to the discussion.
Re: Who Are The Ancient Igbo People? by PAPAAFRICA: 11:10pm On Jun 08, 2013
igbos are from igboland, derp.

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Ancient Igbo People? by Nobody: 11:44pm On Jun 08, 2013
PAPA AFRICA: igbos are from igboland, derp.

Sorry but there is hardy ONE single group in Africa, apart from perhaps the San of southern Africa, whom you can claim, originated independently in their current abode. Groups did a LOT of migration in ancient times. Man himself was created from a single source in South/East Africa, and migrated around and out of the continent, and also finally back into the continent especially from the 'middle east' following desertificaton and 'aryan' invasions. In fact the records show that West Africa was the last part of Africa to become fully inhabited. It was said that fleeing Nile Valley populations fled into West Africa because it was the one part of Africa that was UNKNOWN to the invaders, unknown to the outside world, particularly Europe and the Levant. In fact many ancient accounts of Greece evinced a conceptualisation of Africa that encompassed just Egypt, Libya, and the lands south of Egypt, ie East and Southern Africa. It remains a fascinating thing that virtually no ancient accounts of Greek explorers show any knowledge at all about West Africa.

It was to these lands that fleeing Africans settled en masse, forming communities, some which became empires, seeking to recreate their lost Nile Valley glories of their ancestors - Ghana, Mali, Songhai, Benin, Oyo, Ashanti, ALL were inspired by the societal change wrought by the new entrants to the West African scene.

The Arabs had invaded Egypt in 663 AD, sacking populations in jihads that swept through the largely black African north Africa of the period. Waves of blacks headed south as refugees, fleeing the invaders seeking slaves and jihad. The Yorubas have a tradition that they migrated to their current abode from Egypt following ''a great war''. This war has been traced to an earlier forced migration of blacks southwards, caused by foreign invaders of Egypt. The Hyksos invasion of 2000 - 1500BC. Many scholars, including Nigerian scholars, believe it was in this period that Oduduwa led a major band of settlers into present-day Yorubaland.

Excerpts:

Yoruba: The Egyptian Connection

THE ODUDUWAN REVOLUTION

In the first chapter, we talked about the aboriginal nature of the Yoruban peoples. In this chapter, we shall talk of a possible migration from ancient Egypt. Many traditions point to a fact that an alien group (Egyptians) immigrated to Yoruba land and mixed with the original population.

Many oral traditions are replete with these stories. The Awujale of Ijebu land has shown that the Ijebus are descended from ancient Nubia (a colony of Egypt). He was able to use the evidence of language, body, scarification, coronation rituals that are similar to Nubians’ etc, to show that the Ijebus are descendants of the Nubians. What the present Awujale claimed for the Ijebus, can be authenticated all over Yoruba land. The Awujale even mentioned (2004) that the Itsekiri (an eastern Yoruba dialect) are speaking the original Ijebu language.

Since the Nubians were descended or colonized by the Egyptians, the Ijebu, and by extension, all Yoruba customs, derived from the Egyptian. Many traditional Yorubas have always claimed Egypt as their place of original abode, and that their monarchical tradition derives from the Egyptians’. Apostle Atigbiofor Atsuliaghan, a high priest of Umale-Okun, and a direct descendant of Orunmila, claimed that the Yorubas left Egypt as a result of a big war that engulfed the whole of Egypt. He said the Egyptian remnants settled in various places, two important places being Ode Itsekiri and Ile-Ife.Chief O.N Rewane says “Oral tradition has it also that when the Yorubas came from South of Egypt they did not go straight to where they now occupy. They settled at Illushi, some at Asaba area – Ebu, Olukumi Ukwunzu while some settled at Ode-Itsekiri,.” (O.N. Rewane Royalty Magazine A PICTORIAL SOUVENIR OF THE BURIAL AND CORONATION OF OLU OF WARRI, WARRI 1987)

Since these oral traditions are passed on by very illiterate people, we can augment whatever is recorded with written sources. Concerning the migration of some of the Yoruban ancestors from the east, Conton says:

The Yoruba of Nigeria are believed by many modern historians to be descended from a people who were living on the banks of the Nile 2,000 years ago, and who were at the time in close contact with the Egyptians and the Jews. Sometime before AD 600, if this belief is correct, this people must have left their fertile lands, for reasons which we can not now discover and have joined in the ceaseless movement of tribes west wards and south-wards across our continent.

We can only guess at the many adventures they and their descendants must have had on their long journey and at the number of generations which passed before they arrived. All we can be certain about is that they were a Negro people (of which ancient Egypt probably had at least one community as we have seen) and that one of the many princely states they founded on their arrival in West Africa…..was Ife.’ Conton WF (1960. 71

Although we agree with Conton that some of the Yoruban ancestors migrated from Egypt, we tend to toe the scientific line of Cheik Anta Diop, that the ancient Egyptians were pure Negroes.

Aderibigbe, an indigenous scholar, also accepts that the Yorubas migrated from Egypt. He says:

“The general trend of these theories, most of them based on Yoruba traditions, is that of a possible origin from “the east”. Some scholars, impressed by the similarities between Yoruba and ancient Egyptian culture – religious observation, works of art, burial and other customs – speak of a possible migration of the ancestors of the Yoruba from the upper Nile (as early as 2000BC – 1000BC) as a result of some upheavals in ancient Egypt”. (AB ADERIBIGBE 1976)

Unlike Conton, Aderibigbe was able to pinpoint a cause for the Yoruban migration – war. Olumide Lucas did a lot of job to show similarities and identities between the ancient Egyptians and the Yoruban peoples. The date that Aderibigbe gave (2000BC – 1000BC) is much earlier than that given by Conton. Aderibigbe’s date corresponds to that of the Hyksos invasion of Egypt 2000-1500BC. On the possible eastern origin of the Yorubas, Tariqh Sawandi says:

“The Yoruba history begins with the migration of an east African population across the trans-African route leading from Mid-Nile river area to the Mid-Niger. Archaeologists, according to M. Omoleya, inform us that the Nigerian region was inhabited more than forty thousand years ago, or as far back as 65,000BC. During this period, the Nok culture occupied the region. The Nok culture was visited by the “Yoruba people”, between 2000BC and 500BC. This group of people was led, according to Yoruba historical accounts by king Oduduwa, who settled peacefully in the already established Ile-Ife, the sacred city of the indigenous Nok people.

This time period is known as the Bronze Age, a time of high civilization of both of these groups. According to Olumide J. Lucas, “the Yoruba, during antiquity, lived in ancient Egypt before migrating to the Atlantic coast”. He uses as demonstration the similarity or identity of languages, religious beliefs, customs and names of persons, places and things. In addition, many ancient papyri discovered by archaeologists point at an Egyptian origin. (Tariqh Sawandi: Yorubic medicine: The Art of divine herbology – online article).

Ademoyega commented that the Ekiti section of the Yorubas must have migrated to their present area around 638AD when the Muslims took over Egypt and forced some of the Yoruba people to migrate to their present area.

So, we see that the Yoruba did not come in one migration, but in many different migrations – in waves. The first possible migration might be connected with the Hyksos invasion. Some words in the Yoruban vocabulary echo the words used in Egypt in predynastic times and in the early dynastic periods. Some Egyptian gods of this period have strong identities with Yoruban deities. For instance, gods such as Adumu (Adumu) Hepi (Ipi) Ausar (Ausa), Horise (Orise), and Sámi (Sámi) Nam (Inama) are present in Yoruba. All these gods existed in the pre-dynastic and early dynastic periods of Egypt. TODAY, AMONG THE ITSEKIRI-YORUBAS ,THESE GODS CAN STILL BE PHYSICALLY SEEN, AT LEAST, ONCE A YEAR! Neighbouring peoples are already initiated into the various gods systems and beliefs in yorubaland.the agban ancestral worship was first organized in Urhoboland during the funeral ceremony of chief Ayomanor of Sapele (1949). The Ipi system was first organized in Urhoboland in March 11, 2005.

We can also see words that existed in the Graeco-Roman period in some of the Yoruban dialects. When the Romans took over Egypt, they infiltrated the Egyptian area with their language. In present Yoruba, we can still find words of Roman descent. For instance, the Yoruba called the palm frond ‘Mariwo’. This word is derived form the Latin Rivus (River). One of the declensions of river is Rivo (by the river).Since the Yoruban possesses no “V”, the word become riwo. Thus, the word “Omariwo” means the child by the river. Some other words like Sangi (blood in Itsekiri-yoruba dialect) thought to have been derived form the Portuguese were actually brought as a result of the Roman Conquest of Egypt. Sangi is blood and the Latin term is Sanguis. Some eastern Yoruba use the term “Ihagi” which is clearly a corruption of the Roman Sanguis. A Christian army in 540AD invaded Egypt and some persons believed to have reached Yoruba land were driven from Egypt.

With the commencement of the Arab period in Egypt, some indigenous Egyptians who never wanted to accept the Islamic religion escaped to present Yoruba land. It was probably in this period that words such as Keferi (Kafri pagan in Arab) infiltrated into the Yoruboid vocabulary.

All said and done, more than fifty percent of the Yoruboid vocabulary of today can be deduced either directly or indirectly from the ancient Egyptian. These are the original ancient Egyptian language devoid of Arab and Latin words that are very few in the Yoruboid vocabulary

It is not really certain when king Oduduwa came from Egypt. He must have come in one of the many migrations. But since the Yoruba religious discourse has a lot of identities with Egyptian, Oduduwa would have left Egypt at a very early period perhaps after the Hyksos invasion of 2000-1500BC ,but not later than 30BC.

Could the Yoruba have migrated from a white Egypt? Far-from the truth!
PROOFS OF EGYPTIAN NEGRONESS

1. Egypt was a part of Africa and therefore should be black
2. The Egyptians believe that Egypt was a colony of Ethiopia, and that the religion was brought to Egypt by King Horus from the south (inner Africa). Thus when the Egyptians died, they buried their corpses with their faces facing the South West (the direction of West Africa, home of the Yoruba)
3. Some West African peoples claim that their ancestors migrated to ancient Egypt. The Yorubas claimed that a mystic-prophet Orunmila (Oritse Udeji among the Itsekiri) migrated to Egypt and established a religion. Archaeology and cross-cultural studies have shown that Negroes migrated from West Africa to ancient Egypt.
4. Anthropologists have discovered, to their dismay, that Egyptian cultural traits: divine kingship, forms of burial, Osirian cult, etc., permeate some parts of Negro Africa.
5. Some deities exist in Egypt and in Negro Africa, such as Adumu, Hepi, Inama, Sami Horise etc.
6. The Greeks referred to the Egyptian as “Hoi Aiguptos”, (black people); the Egyptians referred to themselves as Kam (black in their language.)
7. Melanin test proved that the Egyptians were black.
8. Osteological measurements which are less misleading than craniometry in distinguishing a black man from a white man has proved that the ancient Egyptians belonged to the black race. Lepsius, a German Savant at the end of the nineteenth century, made the studies and his conclusion remains valid. Future studies have not contradicted the “Lepsius canon”, which in broad figures gave the bodily proportion of the ideal Egyptian: short armed and of Negroid or Negrito physical type.
9. Most West African claim Egyptian ancestry. If they are black, their ancient Egyptian ancestors must be black.
10. Ancient paintings on caves and temples in Egypt depict blacks. At first there were only black paintings, in later times, the blacks were shown ruling over whites and yellows (Asians).
11. Ancient statues and carvings found in Upper and Lower Egypt showed black skins, and features.
12. Ancient monuments such as the pyramid have been replicated in other parts of Africa. A typical example is the Warri pyramid recorded in Roth (1671).
13. Language similarities exist between the Egyptians and some groups in west Africa such as the Wolof and particularly more so, the Yorubas ( more then 500 similar words have been discovered bearing identical meanings. See Yoruba is Atlantis by the same authors: to be published).
14. Recent findings of Genetics and Molecular Biology and Linear Analysis have proved the Egyptians were Negroid.
15. The testimony of classical writers such as Plato, Homer, Aristotle, Pythagoras etc., portrays the Egyptians as blacks.
16. the physical photograph of Yuyi of ancient Egypt is Negroid (Barbara Mertz : Red Land ,Black land: 1967)

In order to prove the Egyptians origin of the Greek oracle of Dodona, Herodotus says:

“And when they add that the dove was black, they gave us to understand that the woman was Egyptian”.

The doves mentioned in a text “Epirus” stands for two Egyptian women, reputed to have brought the oracle from Tebu (Thebes)[today there are two Tebus in Yoruba land] in Egypt to establish the oracle of Dodona in Greek and Libya.

Another antiquarian, Lycinus, describing a young Egyptian, mentioned Negroid features. “This boy is not merely black; he has thick lips and his legs are too thin … His hair worn in a plait behind shows that he is not a free man.”

The mention of “black”, “thick lips” and hair worn in plaits behind are totally of African origin. In those days Itsekiri owned slaves (mostly Sobo) were either clean-shaven, or they wore their hair in plaits until they regained freedom. Thus, unknowingly, Lycinus had drawn an identical cultural affinity between the Kamites and the Yorubas.

Marcelinus, a Latin historian writes:

“The men of Egypt are mostly brown or black with a skinny and desiccated look.”

Appolodorus, who lived in the first century before our era, commented on Egypt as Negroes:

“Aiguptos captured the country of the black footed ones and called it Egypt after himself.”

Contd..

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Ancient Igbo People? by Nobody: 11:45pm On Jun 08, 2013
Aristotle – an ancient Greek philosopher, a disciple of Plato – in a naive way showed that the Egyptians were black, hear him:

“Those who are too black are cowards, like for instance the Egyptians and the Ethiopians, but those who are excessively white are also cowards as we can see from the example of women, the complexion of courage is between the two”.

Herodotus, 485-425BC, the father of history, further said concerning the ancient Egyptians:

“It is in fact manifested that the Colchidians are Egyptian by race. Several Egyptians told me that in their opinion that the Colchidians were descendants of the soldiers of Sesostris. I had conjectured as much myself from two pointers, firstly because they have black skins and kinky hair (to tell the truth this proves nothing for other peoples have them too) and secondly more reliably for the reason that alone among mankind, the Egyptians and the Ethiopians have practiced circumcision since time immemorial. The Phoenicians and the Syrians of Palestine themselves admit that they learnt the practice from the Egyptians, while the Syrians in the river Thermodon and the Pathenoise region and their neighbours the Macrons say they learnt it recently from the Colchidians. These are the only races which practice circumcision, and it is observable that they do it in the same way with the Egyptians. As between the Egyptians themselves and the Ethiopians, I can not say which of them taught the other the practice, for among them; it is quite clearly a custom of great contiguity. As to the further strong proof to my belief is that all those Phoenicians trading to Greek cease to treat the pudenda after the Egyptian manner and do not subject their offspring to concussion”.

Herodotus mentioned black skins and kinky hair as features of the Colchidians of being descendants of the Egyptians; he also mentioned the survival of circumcision. It should be noted that Abraham – the Arab patriarch of the Jews – learnt circumcision from Hagar, his Egyptian slave wife, whence the custom spread to the Jews. Herodotus also commented that other peoples (those in inner Africa and the black Sumerians and Canaanites) also had kinky hair.

The towns of ancient Egypt: On (Annu) or Heliopolis, Hermonthis, Dendera, Tebu etc., were developed by Annu, the pre-dynastic blacks of Egypt. Skeletons of the Negro Annu were ubiquitous in ancient Egypt...

Mene, the first pharaoh of the first dynasty, sometimes identified with the God-man Osiris (A black forerunner of Christ) was a Blackman. Zoser, Sesostris, Amenhopis, Khufu, Menthuhotep, Queen Amuses, Nefertari etc., were also all Negroes.

The Egyptian religion and other cultural practices show strong African and more so Yorubic characteristics. These can be seen in the following areas:
1. The lost wax method of brass or bronze making, which was common to both the Yoruba peoples (particular Ife) and the ancient Egyptians.
2. The ritual of initiation
3. Striving to achieve the ultimate in “Good” and truth (summun bonum)
4. The doctrine of transmigration of soul and reincarnation is widely believed in, by both peoples.
5. The concept of the ‘god king’.
6. Aspiration to achieve the great ‘good’ of the gods – ‘wealth health and long life’.
7. The Yorubic regalia, in most cases, are strikingly similar to pharoanic ones.
8. Veneration of the Ram in both places. Among the eastern Yorubas (Itsekiri especially, most of the water deities are depicted as ram following the predynastic and pharoanic patterns).
9. Both peoples answer the theophorous names.

LINGUISTIC SIMILARITIES

Since Ferdinand de Saussure, the surest way to prove a cultural contact between peoples is to adduce linguistic evidence (Ferdinand de Saussure (1972) General HISTORY OF Africa).

One of the largest inhabitants of Egypt were Yoruboid , and it will be expected that a good percentage of their language will be yoruboid ,too. See the table below.

EGYPT YORUBA
1. Wu (rise) Wu (rise)
2. Ausa (Osiris, father of the gods) Ausa (father)
3. Ere (python/ Serpent) Ere (Python / Serpent)
4. Horise (a great god) Orise (a great god)
5. Sen (group of worshippers) Sen ( to worship)
6. Ged (to chant0 Igede (a chant)
7. Ta (sell / offer) Ta (sell/offer)
8. Sueg (a fool) Suegbe (a fool)
9. On ( living person) One ( living person)
10. Kum (a club) Kumo( a club)
11. Enru (fear / terrible) Eru (fear / terrible
12. Kun / qun (brave man) Ekun (title of a brave man)
13. Win (to be) Wino (to be)
14. Odonit (festival) Odon (festival)
15. Ma or mi (to breath) Mi. (to breathe)
16. Tebu (a town) Tebu (a town)
17. Adumu (a water god) Adumu (a water god)
18. Khu (to kill) Ku (die)
19. Rekha (knowledge} Larikha (knowledge)
20 Hika (evil) Ika (evil)
21 Mhebi (humble) Mebi, humble to ones family
22 Sata (perfect) Santan (perfect)
23 Unas (lake of fire) Una (fire)
24 Tan (complete) Tan (complete)
25 Beru (force of emotion) Beru (fear)
26 Em (smell) Emi (smell)
27 Pa (open) Pa (break open)
28 Bi (to become) Bi (to give birth, to become)
29 Hepi (a water god) Ipi (a water god)
30 Sami (water god) Sami (a water god)
31 Osiri (a water god) Oshiri (a water god)
32 Heqet – Re (frog deity) Ekere (the frog)
33 Feh (to go away) Feh (to blow away)
34 Kot (build) Ko (build)
35 Kot (boat) Oko (boat)
36 Omi (water) Omi (water)
37 Ra (time) Ira (time)
38 Oni (title of Osiris) Oni (title of the king of Ife)
39 Budo (dwelling place) Budo (dwelling place)
40 Dudu (black image of Osiris) Dudu (black person)
41 Un (living person) Una (living person)
42 Ra (possess) Ra (possess/buy)
43 Beka (pray/confess) Be or ka (to pray or confess)
44 Po (many) Po (many/cheap)
45 Horuw (head) middle Egyptian Oruwo (head) (Ijebu)
46 Min (a god) Emin (spirit)
47 Ash (invocation) Ashe (invocation)
48 Aru (mouth) Arun (mouth ) Ilaje
49 Do (river) Odo (river)
50 Do (settlement) Udo (settlement)
51 Shekiri (water god) Shekiri (a water god)
52 Bu (a place) Bu ,a place
53 Khepara (beetle Akpakara (beetle)
54 No (a water god Eno (a water god)
55 Ra -Shu (light after darkness Uran-shu (the light of the moon
56 Run-ka (spirit name) Oruko (name)
57 Deb/dib to pierce Dibi (to pierce)
58 Maat (goddess of justice Mate (goddess of justice)
59 Aru (rise) Ru (rise up)
60 Fa (carry) Fa (pull)
61 Kaf (pluck) Ka (pluck)
62 Bu bi (evil place) Bubi (evil place)
63 In- n (negation In-n (negation)
64 Iset (a water god) Ise (a water god)
65 Shabu (watcher) Ashonbo (watcher)
66 Semati (door keeper) Sema (lock/shut the door)
67 Khenti amenti (big words of Osiris Yenti – yenti (big, very big)
68 Ma (to know) Ma (to know)
69 Bebi, a son of osiris) Ube, a god
70 Tchatcha chief (they examined the death to see if they tricked tsatsa (a game of tricks, gambling )
71 Ren( animal foot) Ren (to walk)
72 Ka (rest) Ka (rest/tired)
73 Mu (water) Mu (drink water)
74 Abi (against) Ubi (against / impediment)
75 Reti (to beseech) Retin (to listen)
76 Hir (praise) Yiri (praise)
77 Ta(spread out) Ta (spread out)
78 Kurud (round) Kurudu (round)
79 Ak – male Ako (male)
80 Se – to create Se (to create)
81 Hoo (rejoice) Yo (rejoice)
82 Kamwr (black) Kuru (extremely black
83 Omitjener (deep water) Omijen (deep water)
84 Nen, the primeval water mother) Nene (mother
85 Ta (land) Ita (land junction)
86 Horiwo (head) Oriwo (head)
87 Ro (talk) Ro (to think)
88 Kurubu (round) Kurubu (deep and round)
89 Penka (divide) Kpen (divide)
90 Ma-su (to mould) Ma or su (to mould)
91 Osa (time) Osa (time)
92 Osa (tide) Osa ( tide)
93 Fare (wrap) Fari (wrap)
94 Kom (complete) Kon (complete)
95 Edjo (cobra) Edjo (cobra)
96 Didi (red fruit) Diden (red)
97 Ba (soul) Oba (king) soul of a people
98 Ke (hill) Oke( hill
99 Anubis (evil deity) Onubi (evil person)
100 Kan (one: Middle Egyptian) Okan one)
101 Nam (water god) Inama (water god)

The words above are used to show that most Yoruban words are identical to the ancient Egyptian.

http://www.raceandhistory.com/cgi-bin/forum/webbbs_config.pl/noframes/read/2139
Re: Who Are The Ancient Igbo People? by PAPAAFRICA: 11:48pm On Jun 08, 2013
from egypt?

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Ancient Igbo People? by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:26am On Jun 09, 2013
ROSSIKE:

Yes they do. You can't see it because you're deluded and blind. Contrast their colour with the white guy as shown and use your head.

Do you know the Sumerians called themselves saggigi, 'the black headed ones'? What do you think that meant? Also the Egyptians called themselves Kemmui (the black people).

THat is BEsides the point! YOU ARE USING BLACK STONE STATUES TO JUSTIFY THEIR NEGRO COMPLEXION! THATS THE WORST FORM OF BRAINWASHING EVER! angry angry

AND OFCOURSE THEIR HEAD IS BLACK! HAIR IS BLACK COLOUR YES?! angry

1 Like

Re: Who Are The Ancient Igbo People? by ezeagu(m): 1:15pm On Jun 09, 2013
ROSSIKE: LINGUISTIC SIMILARITIES

Since Ferdinand de Saussure, the surest way to prove a cultural contact between peoples is to adduce linguistic evidence (Ferdinand de Saussure (1972) General HISTORY OF Africa).

One of the largest inhabitants of Egypt were Yoruboid , and it will be expected that a good percentage of their language will be yoruboid ,too. See the table below.

EGYPT YORUBA

101 Nam (water god) Inama (water god)

The words above are used to show that most Yoruban words are identical to the ancient Egyptian.

http://www.raceandhistory.com/cgi-bin/forum/webbbs_config.pl/noframes/read/2139

Sometimes I wonder if you're being serious or you're just playing. Any similar words with similar meanings in two languages doesn't necessarily mean that they stem from the other. There are other reasons why two languages have some words in common, one of them is the human thought process like naming things using onomatopoeia, another could be coincidence, another could be influence by a language that predates both. You can't just claim Ancient Egypt was X because they share a similar sounding word for water.

And this is without considering the structure of the languages, as opposed to the words in it. Ancient Egyptian is Verb-Subject-Object (not-I'm-Egyptian), while Yoruba and Igbo are Subject-Verb-Object (I'm-not-Egyptian). Igbo and Yoruba are tonal while Ancient Egyptian or Coptic is not. Ancient Egyptian is Afro-Asiatic while Igbo and Yoruba are not. The phonemes of Ancient Egyptian and Igbo/Yoruba don't sound alike. You have better luck linking Hausa language to them.

Again I don't know if this is a waste and you're just messing around.

4 Likes

Re: Who Are The Ancient Igbo People? by Rossikk(m): 3:25pm On Jun 12, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

THat is BEsides the point! YOU ARE USING BLACK STONE STATUES TO JUSTIFY THEIR NEGRO COMPLEXION! THATS THE WORST FORM OF BRAINWASHING EVER! angry angry

One statue used was of black stone. Don't exaggerate.

Here is another statue. This is of Narmer (Or Menes), circa 3,600 BC. The very first PHARAOH of Egypt. Clearly Negroid. He even bares a striking resemblance to Obasanjo in his youth. What is your excuse here?

AND OF COURSE THEIR HEAD IS BLACK! HAIR IS BLACK COLOUR YES?! angry

HEAD NOT HAIR. I told you to stop distorting facts. Learn to tell the truth. The Sumerians called themselves the black HEADED people. Not the black-haired people.
Re: Who Are The Ancient Igbo People? by Rossikk(m): 3:45pm On Jun 12, 2013
ezeagu:

Sometimes I wonder if you're being serious or you're just playing.

I think the joke is on you. Qualified and eminent scholars in the field routinely draw up linguistic evidence as proof of filial connections between peoples, and you cannot trash it by sounding smug.

Any similar words with similar meanings in two languages doesn't necessarily mean that they stem from the other.

If there is a preponderance of similarity then there is a connection. It has been established that Yoruba has a preponderance of similarity with Medu Neter.

There are other reasons why two languages have some words in common, one of them is the human thought process like naming things using onomatopoeia, another could be coincidence

Utterly insufficient and unsatisfactory basis to explain the wide range of linguistic congruences.

another could be influence by a language that predates both.

What languages pre-date Medu Neter, the language of Ancient Egypt??

Care to name them?

You can't just claim Ancient Egypt was X because they share a similar sounding word for water.

And a ''similar sounding word'' for a thousand and one other things. NOT JUST WATER.

Oh, and linguistic evidence is only ONE in a collection of evidence elements. You tie in the linguistic evidence with evidence drawn from similarities in cultural practices, religion, philosophies, archaeology, oral traditions etc etc. Based on this you then form a theory. So it is not just all based on linguistic evidence.

And this is without considering the structure of the languages, as opposed to the words in it. Ancient Egyptian is Verb-Subject-Object (not-I'm-Egyptian), while Yoruba and Igbo are Subject-Verb-Object (I'm-not-Egyptian). Igbo and Yoruba are tonal while Ancient Egyptian or Coptic is not.

Igbo and Yoruba MIGRATION from the Nile Valley thousands of years ago meant that their languages would adapt to those of the West African forest regions over time, while yet retaining the stamp of their Nile Valley heritage via similarity of words used with ancient Medu Neter etc.

Ancient Egyptian is Afro-Asiatic while Igbo and Yoruba are not.

Spare us your colonial-invented AFRICAN language classifications.
Re: Who Are The Ancient Igbo People? by PAGAN9JA(m): 6:06pm On Jun 12, 2013
Rossikk:

One statue used was of black stone. Don't exaggerate.

Here is another statue. This is of Narmer (Or Menes), circa 3,600 BC. The very first PHARAOH of Egypt. Clearly Negroid. He even bares a striking resemblance to Obasanjo in his youth. What is your excuse here?

HEAD NOT HAIR. I told you to stop distorting facts. Learn to tell the truth. The Sumerians called themselves the black HEADED people. Not the black-haired people.

WTF>?! ARE YOU CRAZYY?!

THAT OLD RUINED STATUE! WHAT IS NEGROID ABOUT IT! AND LMAO! YOU ARE COMPARING IT TO OBASANJO! AM I SUPPOSED TO LAUGH HERE?

PLEASE ARE YOU A TROLL

dude whats their on the head? Hair right?! its all metaphorical.

as if only their heads are black and their bodies are green colour.

stop taking these things literally. you are so narrow I swear.
Re: Who Are The Ancient Igbo People? by Nobody: 6:59pm On Jun 12, 2013
When will people get over the obsession of using the term Negroid. Africans are NOT limited to being Negroid. Negroid is just a phenotype, it has no bearing to anything genetically.

Are these 'Bantu' Tutsi's Caucasoid?

Yet their more related to their neighboring Bantu 'Negroid' brethren.

Using Negroid for your argument is worthless and ridiculous. Using Negroid for trying to prove the Ancient Egyptians were African is even more worthless and ridiculous and your just limiting yourself...

Also Negroid and Caucasoid are both Eurocentric coined terms, by using them you're only playing THEIR game.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Muhammad Mua’zu Muhammad: My First Wife Got Me Three Other Wives – Emir Of Kanam / Proudly Bini Names And Meaning / Pictures From 2019 Kano Durbar Festival

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 143
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.