Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,531 members, 7,819,911 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:23 AM

What If I Ate The Silica Packets Marked "Do Not Eat"? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / What If I Ate The Silica Packets Marked "Do Not Eat"? (1028 Views)

Law Passed: “HIV Positive People To Be Marked Near Their Genitals (photos) / Law Passed: All Hiv Positive People Would Be Marked Near Their Genitals / 625lb Mother Who Ate Herself To Death (pictures Inside) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What If I Ate The Silica Packets Marked "Do Not Eat"? by Cashrill(m): 12:11am On Apr 29, 2013
What you would be consuming is most likely silica gel or some other desiccant -- something that absorbs (collects) and holds water vapor. These little packets are found in all sorts of products tohelp maintain quality.
Shipping can cause all kinds of atmospheric conditions and changes in temperature. Increased moisture can spoil or permanently damage many products. For example, if a bottle of vitamins contained any moisture vapor and was cooled rapidly, the condensing moisture would ruin the pills. You'll find little silica gel packets in anything that would be affected by excess moisture or condensation.
Silica gel can adsorb about 40 percent of its weight in moisture and can take the relative humidity in a closed container down to about 40 percent. Once the gel is saturated, you can get rid of the moisture and reuse silica gel by heating it above 300 degrees Fahrenheit (150 degrees Celsius).
Silica gel is nearly harmless, and that's why you find it in food products. Silica, which is actually silicon dioxide (SiO2), is the same material found in quartz. The gel form contains millions of tiny pores that can adsorb and hold moisture -- it's essentially porous sand.
While the contents of a silica gel packet are basically harmless, it would be a rather unpleasant experience to attempt to consume the silica crystals. The sole job of these tiny desiccants is to adsorb moisture. If you emptied a packet of the stuff into your mouth, the moisture would be whisked away from the sides and roof of your mouth, your gums and tongue -- giving an entirely new and all-too-accurate meaning of the phrase"dry mouth." If silica gel did happen to make it past your mouth -- which is unlikely because you would probably be making every effort to spit it out -- you might suffer a few irritating side effects, such as:
*. Dry eyes
*. An irritated, dry feeling in your throat
*. Aggravated, dry mucous membranes and nasal cavity
*. An upset stomach or stomach discomfort
So just how many silica packets would it take to adsorb all the water from someone's body? Let's use a 210-pound man as an example. We know that 70 percent of a human body is made up of water - 70 percent of 210 pounds is 147 pounds of water. We also know that silica gel can adsorb about 40percent of its weight in moisture. So 10 pounds of silica gel are needed to adsorb 4 pounds of water.
It turns out that it would take 367.5 pounds of silica gel to adsorb 147 pounds of water. Since a single packet of silica gel weighs 0.1 ounces, that means a 210-pound man would have to consume 58,800 packets of silica gel.

Re: What If I Ate The Silica Packets Marked "Do Not Eat"? by johnwizey: 12:50am On Apr 29, 2013
Na sure death be dat nw
Re: What If I Ate The Silica Packets Marked "Do Not Eat"? by Emmyk(m): 12:56am On Apr 29, 2013
Why will I even eat it?
Re: What If I Ate The Silica Packets Marked "Do Not Eat"? by Nobody: 1:31am On Apr 29, 2013
Wonderful breakdown! Thanks@op
Re: What If I Ate The Silica Packets Marked "Do Not Eat"? by dominique(f): 9:14am On Apr 29, 2013
For some reasons, I feel like testing it now. embarassed tongue
johnwizey: Na sure death be dat nw

I'm 100% certain you didn't read the article.
Re: What If I Ate The Silica Packets Marked "Do Not Eat"? by Lagusta(m): 9:55am On Apr 29, 2013
Emmyk: Why will I even eat it?

you wont believe this, but a colleague once told me that the reason why silica gel is always included in nearly all home pregnancy kits is because the lady can just easily poison herself if she finds out she's pregnant!!!! grin grin grin grin

i knew he was joking anyway....

(1) (Reply)

What If Your Doctor Asked You To Take To Take India-herm/marijuana / Cataract Treatment In Lagos / Pineapple As A Medicinal Fruit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.