Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,901 members, 7,814,049 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:40 AM

Visual Studio.net On Windows Vista: What Do You Think? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Visual Studio.net On Windows Vista: What Do You Think? (889 Views)

Visual Studio.net 2010 Showing "Not Responding" / How Do You Browse The Net On Linux Or Unix? / Can't Connect To D Net On Linux (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Visual Studio.net On Windows Vista: What Do You Think? by Nobody: 2:45pm On Apr 14, 2008
Please, has anyone tried installing Visual Studio.NET 2003 on Windows Vista O.S (Home Basic Edition), I'm having some issues presently, especially while trying to install Microsoft SQL Server 2005.

I heard about the incompatibility issue, so i really need some help/suggestions.

Someone said i should reformat the system (wipe off the Vista) and install a different O.S (Windows XP Professional etc.)

Plzz what do you suggest, and have you encountered such issue before? I really need some help.

Regards.
Tosin
Re: Visual Studio.net On Windows Vista: What Do You Think? by olud64: 3:55pm On Apr 14, 2008
Why are u still using VS2003 anyway, Yes u will run into a lot of issues when u want to combine VS2003 with Vista(Home Basic!) and SQL Server 2005

I would say its easier to switch to VS2005/asp.net 2.0
Re: Visual Studio.net On Windows Vista: What Do You Think? by Nobody: 9:40am On Apr 15, 2008
Thanks Olud64,

I'm still using VS2003 becos we don't have the VS2005 cds available in the office, and i'm pretty scared of buying those 'otigba' cds, cos of the new anti-piracy technology. (or is it going to work with it?).
Re: Visual Studio.net On Windows Vista: What Do You Think? by furlee(m): 12:35pm On Apr 15, 2008
Installing Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition on Windows Vista still gives it own problems on compilation. I have a Windows Vista Desktop ad Installed Visual Studio 2005 on it, during compilation the program hangs. When I got to the net I was informed I need to download 431 MB upgrade patch to fix the problem.

I think Microsoft is "forcing" developers to buy Visual Studio 2008.

Meanwhile, Visual Studio 2005 works perfectly with Windows XP Professional. A program I developed with VB 2005 run perfectly well on installation on vista machine.

Good luck.
Re: Visual Studio.net On Windows Vista: What Do You Think? by Kobojunkie: 12:57pm On Apr 15, 2008
Hello OlowTee, since you are a developer, wanted to ask for your help if you are willing to offer. Feel free to contact me if you are can as I have a project I need some help with and in need of well meaning Nigerians who have time to spare to work with me on it.
Re: Visual Studio.net On Windows Vista: What Do You Think? by Nobody: 1:48pm On Apr 15, 2008
Thanks furlee for your response.

VS 2005 & SQL Server 2005 work perfectly well on Windows XP professional (I have these on my desktop). But, since i just got a laptop with Vista Home Basic Edition, I've been having ache with the installation process. Presently, i'm trying to download SQL Service pack, I wish i could get VS 2005/2008 cd undecided I wonder why Vista isn't compatible with .NET 2003. .

I guess i might need to uninstall Vista to install Windows XP profession. Vista has got a lot of aches really.

@Kobojunkie
Are you online on your YM? Maybe we can chat?
Re: Visual Studio.net On Windows Vista: What Do You Think? by Kobojunkie: 1:51pm On Apr 15, 2008
Yep, I am online
Re: Visual Studio.net On Windows Vista: What Do You Think? by furlee(m): 2:03pm On Apr 15, 2008
@OlowoTee

Windows Vista has a lot of aches and is yet to be a stable platform for software development, I bought my laptop august last year when my previous one was stolen by armed robbers. I took all the pain to look for Laptop with Windows XP Professional though I was offered the one with Vista at a lesser price. I am thanking heavens for making this decision. When I later got a vista machine installed in my office and tried installing VS 2005 it was a lot of aches.

Get a Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2 and migrate to VS 2005 from VS 2003. VS 2005 is much easier and better than VS 2003.

Have a nice day
Re: Visual Studio.net On Windows Vista: What Do You Think? by Nobody: 3:42pm On Apr 15, 2008
@Kobojunkie
I just sent you a gmail, i hope you get it, I actually thought you were online on Yahoo Messenger, not until i checked your address again. Or do you have a Yahoo address.

Regards.

@Furlee
Thanks for that info, I never knew Vista could give such ache. Thanks again.
Re: Visual Studio.net On Windows Vista: What Do You Think? by Kobojunkie: 3:51pm On Apr 15, 2008
I am online. If you can see the Icon right under my ID in posts that shows a smile with the words ONLINE Now next to it, I believe all you need to do is click on it to launch am IM window.
I am on Yahoo and my Yahoo is Kobojunkie@Yahoo.com
Re: Visual Studio.net On Windows Vista: What Do You Think? by Nobody: 8:50pm On Apr 15, 2008
Kobojunkie:

I am online. If you can see the Icon right under my ID in posts that shows a smile with the words ONLINE Now next to it, I believe all you need to do is click on it to launch am IM window. I am on Yahoo and my Yahoo is Kobojunkie@Yahoo.com

Hi Kobojunkie,

I sent you some 'offline' messages, sorry that i couldn't chat up with you earlier, the network was rather bad.

Regards.
Re: Visual Studio.net On Windows Vista: What Do You Think? by Nobody: 8:38pm On Apr 25, 2008
Update on Installation

At last, I've migrated to Microsoft Vista Ultimate, tongue grin This seems pretty suitable for development, testing etc

Thanks all.

(1) (Reply)

Jsps N Servlets Sos / Ooad With Uml / Asp.net Mvc Vs Asp.net

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.