Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,297 members, 7,836,298 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:42 AM

The Nigerian Humanist Seminar This Past Sunday 28/04/13 (review) - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Nigerian Humanist Seminar This Past Sunday 28/04/13 (review) (677 Views)

Atheist, Agnostic And Humanist Memes Reloaded... / Great Humanist Quotes That Deserves To Be Mulled Over / Calling The Humanist Bluff. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Nigerian Humanist Seminar This Past Sunday 28/04/13 (review) by Nobody: 10:56am On Apr 30, 2013
On sunday, I went for the Nigerian Humanist Association Seminar at UNILAG on Sunday two days ago. It was in a letcure room in the philosophy department. The event was attended by about 30 people by my estimation.

Leo Igwe and Douglas Anele were the speakers for the event.

Douglas Anele's lecture was quite funny and interesting. He verbally laid waste to the poor philosophy of religious thinking in Nigeria while making his audience laugh. He is a talented speaker

Leo Igwe made very interesting and logical points but his reading from his laptop was a flaw in his speech. It felt less original.

The question and answer part of the seminar was the best part of the evening as we discussed ideas on starting a proper association. There were also questions on skepticism and philosophy which were adequately answered by both speakers.

================================

However, my personal problem with the seminar was that there was no clear mission statement. We were focusing too much on philosophy and logic but no specific plans to promote skepticism and humanism. To be fair, there was focus on getting contacts and stabilizing the humanist association we had there.

So far so good.

I employ Nairaland atheists to join the group on facebook

http://www./nigerianhumanists/
Re: The Nigerian Humanist Seminar This Past Sunday 28/04/13 (review) by Nobody: 12:40pm On Apr 30, 2013
Pls try to join the face book page and comment if you have ideas.

Some people even submit humanist/atheist poems
Re: The Nigerian Humanist Seminar This Past Sunday 28/04/13 (review) by ooman(m): 1:02pm On Apr 30, 2013
Done that
Re: The Nigerian Humanist Seminar This Past Sunday 28/04/13 (review) by Nobody: 1:06pm On Apr 30, 2013
ooman: Done that

Thank you bro..... wink
Re: The Nigerian Humanist Seminar This Past Sunday 28/04/13 (review) by cyrexx: 1:28pm On Apr 30, 2013
Sent my join request.

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Humanist Seminar This Past Sunday 28/04/13 (review) by mumumugu(m): 2:06pm On Apr 30, 2013
Sent my dislike request

1 Like

Re: The Nigerian Humanist Seminar This Past Sunday 28/04/13 (review) by Nobody: 2:10pm On Apr 30, 2013
cyrexx: Sent my join request.

You shall be accepted in the truth and logic...

Ramen
Re: The Nigerian Humanist Seminar This Past Sunday 28/04/13 (review) by Nobody: 2:11pm On Apr 30, 2013
mumumugu: Sent my dislike request

Back to sender
Re: The Nigerian Humanist Seminar This Past Sunday 28/04/13 (review) by Nobody: 6:15pm On Apr 30, 2013

Re: The Nigerian Humanist Seminar This Past Sunday 28/04/13 (review) by Nobody: 6:23pm On Apr 30, 2013
Logicboy03: Pls try to join the face book page and comment if you have ideas.

Some people even submit humanist/atheist poems
I love ur course cause you're on cause
Re: The Nigerian Humanist Seminar This Past Sunday 28/04/13 (review) by Nobody: 6:24pm On Apr 30, 2013
toba: I love ur course cause you're on cause

lol....while you were rigging elections.....I was planning.

You see, you cant keep a good man down.
Re: The Nigerian Humanist Seminar This Past Sunday 28/04/13 (review) by Nobody: 6:25pm On Apr 30, 2013
Logicboy03:

You shall be accepted in the truth and logic...

Ramen
what's ur facebook moniker. I want to join
Re: The Nigerian Humanist Seminar This Past Sunday 28/04/13 (review) by Nobody: 6:33pm On Apr 30, 2013
toba: what's ur facebook moniker. I want to join

Lol......I rather shove my pen!s in boiling water than give you private info about myself. cool

4 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Just Being Curious: A Question About Catholic Priesthood / Pidgin English Bible For Lunch In Nigeria / Can There Be A Testimony Section On Nairaland?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.