Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,274 members, 7,818,932 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:29 AM

These Products Sell Without Advert:: How? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / These Products Sell Without Advert:: How? (21458 Views)

Pic:- The Product That Has Soared Without Advert Or Promo For Almost 30 Years / 5 Hottest Products That Sell Without Adverts In Nigeria / Foods We Can Produce And Sell Without NAFDAC Number (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

These Products Sell Without Advert:: How? by ITbomb(m): 1:59pm On May 02, 2013
Business minds always stressed on the importance of creating awareness for your brand and product to be successful but I keep wondering how these ones succeeded without adverts.

1. St Louis Sugar
2. Geisha canned fish
3. Rambo Insecticide
4. Salt (Before the advent of Dangote we have been buying salt without even knowing where it came from)
5. 'Food is Ready' This loosely held franchise doesnt need much adverts
6 Ijebu Garri : Only recently I'm seeing it in branded sachets
7. Sony : Odd as it may be, I cant recall seeing Sony Electronics Product adverts in Nigeria. I ve seen LG, Samsung and even Panasonic

The marketing/branding gurus should explain please

7 Likes

Re: These Products Sell Without Advert:: How? by miteolu(m): 3:15pm On May 02, 2013
Your post is an advert

17 Likes

Re: These Products Sell Without Advert:: How? by lifestyle1(m): 3:16pm On May 02, 2013
Re: These Products Sell Without Advert:: How? by Nobody: 3:16pm On May 02, 2013
ITbomb: Business minds always stressed on the importance of creating awareness for your brand and product to be successful but I keep wondering how these ones succeeded without adverts.

1. St Louis Sugar
2. Geisha canned fish
3. Rambo Insecticide
4. Salt (Before the advent of Dangote we have been buying salt without even knowing where it came from)
7. Sony : Odd as it may be, I cant recall seeing Sony Electronics Product adverts in Nigeria. I ve seen LG, Samsung and even Panasonic

Ask google tongue

2 Likes

Re: These Products Sell Without Advert:: How? by redcliff: 3:17pm On May 02, 2013
[size=14pt]Lol
1. When you want drink tea, nobody go tell you to enter aboki shop buy am.
2. When u want sharp sharp stew, u go know as e dey go.
3. when mosquito build barracks for your room, u go get better epiphany of rambo
4. If ur babe cook food and u no feel am, u go know say salt dey miss.
5. Hunger no get part2.
6. When poverty strikes, strike back with ijebu garri.
7. These ones, fi le fun[/size]

50 Likes

Re: These Products Sell Without Advert:: How? by apache77(m): 3:17pm On May 02, 2013
St loius sugar, yes sells without advert..thats true..
but you cant say that of Sony..have you forgotten they were the major sponsors of the UEFA champions League for years? If that is not advertising, I wonder what else is

2 Likes

Re: These Products Sell Without Advert:: How? by ektbear: 3:18pm On May 02, 2013
Wetin man go do without salt?

It doesn't need advertising, it makes food taste better.

1 Like

Re: These Products Sell Without Advert:: How? by dridowu: 3:18pm On May 02, 2013
Creative

2 Likes

Re: These Products Sell Without Advert:: How? by Nobody: 3:18pm On May 02, 2013
Why is this on FP? hissssss

2 Likes

Re: These Products Sell Without Advert:: How? by aminho(m): 3:18pm On May 02, 2013
Welcome to nigeria always doing to opposite
Re: These Products Sell Without Advert:: How? by baggylips(m): 3:18pm On May 02, 2013
Ojugom aka undecided

2 Likes

Re: These Products Sell Without Advert:: How? by dare2think: 3:19pm On May 02, 2013
ITbomb: Business minds always stressed on the importance of creating awareness for your brand and product to be successful but I keep wondering how these ones succeeded without adverts.

The companies probably make their sales targets anyway. Perhaps they feel it would not be cost effective spending money towards the marketing line.
Re: These Products Sell Without Advert:: How? by YoshiMaster: 3:20pm On May 02, 2013
1. Monopoly.
2. Poverty.
3. Rambo?
4. Salt is Salt.
5. The only "Food is ready" I've heard of is based in my kitchen.
6. Wow!
7. Sony? Really?

1 Like

Re: These Products Sell Without Advert:: How? by Nobody: 3:23pm On May 02, 2013
These foods don't need advert cos they are recognised by all and consumers can't do without them.

Making an advert for coaster biscuit is like wasting of spaaaace n money
Re: These Products Sell Without Advert:: How? by justmenoni: 3:23pm On May 02, 2013
World of Mouth has helped some of those brands you mentioned and if i am not wrong World of Mouth is part of Advertisement. grin

4 Likes

Re: These Products Sell Without Advert:: How? by Nobody: 3:24pm On May 02, 2013

1. St Louis Sugar
2. Geisha canned fish
3. Rambo Insecticide

All these are necessities (yes, garri is a necessity). They don't have substitutes hence don't need commercials to increase sales. In regards to "food is ready", when a man is very hungry, he doesn't need to remember some advert he saw on TV before he goes to eat at the nearest place.

3 Likes

Re: These Products Sell Without Advert:: How? by haysal(m): 3:24pm On May 02, 2013
Busy right now! Would comment later wink
Re: These Products Sell Without Advert:: How? by GJames(m): 3:26pm On May 02, 2013
most of these items you mentioned do not have close substitutes. As for Sony, i've seen its advert before.
Re: These Products Sell Without Advert:: How? by Nobody: 3:27pm On May 02, 2013
justmenoni: World of Mouth has helped some of those brands you mentioned and if i am not wrong World of Mouth is part of Advertisement. grin
Sorry! Do you mean word of the mouth?

1 Like

Re: These Products Sell Without Advert:: How? by mymz(f): 3:28pm On May 02, 2013
justmenoni: World of Mouth has helped some of those brands you mentioned and if i am not wrong World of Mouth is part of Advertisement. grin

"World" of mouth? shocked
you mean the "world" is actually in your mouth? and this sells the above mentioned products? shocked
Chai! English oooo grin

2 Likes

Re: These Products Sell Without Advert:: How? by YoshiMaster: 3:36pm On May 02, 2013
mymz:

"World" of mouth? shocked
you mean the "world" is actually in your mouth? and this sells the above mentioned products? shocked
Chai! English oooo grin

Well the advertising "world" is made up of netherworlds, like pay per click world, radio and tv campaign world, and of course, word of mouth is in a world of its own...

So yeah, I guess the "world of mouth" can be quite effective.
Re: These Products Sell Without Advert:: How? by lafuria1(m): 3:39pm On May 02, 2013
Simple anwer, neccessity and monopoly. When everybody need something and you are the only that has it, you dont need advert.
Re: These Products Sell Without Advert:: How? by cantell(m): 3:39pm On May 02, 2013

1. St Louis Sugar
2. Geisha canned fish
3. Rambo Insecticide

Bro, you forgot to add Benson & Hedges, Dorchester, Rothmans etc.
The last time i checked, it's been a while since any of them placed any advert on tv, but their consumers are still smoking like chimney.
My friend who smokes a pack a day can attest to that.

2 Likes

Re: These Products Sell Without Advert:: How? by Nobody: 3:40pm On May 02, 2013
justmenoni: World of Mouth
has helped some of those
brands you mentioned and if i
am not wrong World of Mouth is part of Advertisement.
This isn't a typo. I knw you had doubts when u posted this poo, you could easily have checked with google for verification.
@Op quite creative but not entirely true
Re: These Products Sell Without Advert:: How? by Nobody: 3:47pm On May 02, 2013
If you've got quality and no close substitute( to match ur quality) then you dont need to advertise to sell your products, except you're introducing a new variant. IMO, Indomie has gotten to that level and really dnt need to advertise their shyyt
Re: These Products Sell Without Advert:: How? by tearie: 3:53pm On May 02, 2013
For St Louis sugar, I think its because there is almost a non-existent competition in cube sugar. If there is, then it must be in very low quantity. If another company starts flooding the market with cube sugar in a more contemporary, attractive and efficient packaging, then they just may need to start advertising.

1 Like

Re: These Products Sell Without Advert:: How? by slyk2(m): 3:54pm On May 02, 2013

1. St Louis Sugar
2. Geisha canned fish
3. Rambo Insecticide

Economics called them essentials. Moreso, they are GIFFEN goods.
Re: These Products Sell Without Advert:: How? by Fhemmmy: 3:55pm On May 02, 2013
miteolu: Your post is an advert

Nice one
Re: These Products Sell Without Advert:: How? by bigx(m): 4:04pm On May 02, 2013
if air was for sale you'd have no choice but to buy. They are essentials.
Re: These Products Sell Without Advert:: How? by dedons: 4:07pm On May 02, 2013
Ehen
Re: These Products Sell Without Advert:: How? by Nobody: 4:08pm On May 02, 2013
Agege Bread grin grin grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

First Bank, Oko In Oyo On Fire (Photos) / Nigerian Man Returns $3000 Mistakenly Transferred To Him In Brussels / Don’t Transact In Dollar – EFCC Warns Schools, Hotels, Others

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.