Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,879 members, 7,824,673 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:58 PM

Where To Pitch Your Talent In The Nigerian Fashion Industry - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Where To Pitch Your Talent In The Nigerian Fashion Industry (1327 Views)

#NigeriaAt55: Evolution Of Nigerian Fashion Since 1960(photos) / 14-Year-Old Nigerian Fashion Designer Debuts In London & Florida / What Are The Current Nigerian Fashion Trends? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Where To Pitch Your Talent In The Nigerian Fashion Industry by easytask(m): 8:04pm On May 04, 2013
WHERE TO PITCH YOUR TALENT IN THE NIGERIAN FASHION INDUSTRY WITH STARTUP IDEAS FOR FASHION FANATICS (PART 1)

With every season come new styles and trends, different fabrics, and more and more frocks on racks. But nowadays the sustainable buzzword is alternative fashion which deals with the other side of fashion that people don’t closely watch. From awareness of sustainable fabrics to ensuring closed loop systems – the fashion industry is heading in a direction that is ushering new opportunities for trenders.

But is there really a place for me in the Nigerian Alternative Fashion Industry? And where can I pitch my Talent? You may ask!

After having spent 2 years in an American Retail Clothing Brand (Wrangler) responsible for what goes on in the finances of the over 48 outlets in Africa and having interacted and help nurture several Fashion startups in Lagos I can definitely say I can be of advice on where to pitch your talent in the fashion Industry.

Lagos is a dream of many young designers, at least I know from the Fashion street on Adeniran Ogunsanya to Bode Thomas, to Allen Avenue to Opebi, you will discover a wide and long stream of designers and fashion enthusiasts working harder to carve their names on the Nigerian fashion Map. Some got there and some still struggling. Few to mention who are creating waves on these scene recently like Nigerian Fashion Blogist Priscillia Agbidi Philips of FAM and young designer Akpos Okodo of the popular The Ijaw girl brand, check out her her blog and styles here http://www.ijawgirl..com/. These two represent the two different fashion brand types, Priscilla is a fashion Enthusiasts but concentrate her trade on just doing the “alternate” while Akpos is the creative fabric designer who is into the Norm.

You think you have a flair for fashion and wondering where to pitch your talent, This report is about both the alternate and the Norm and comes in 2 parts. Here is part one on the alternative Fashion start up Ideas. Don’t forget to recommend to your friends and pleaseyour comment is highly welcomed

RUNWAY COACHING

A runway coach works with designers and models to help put together a fashion show.

You would help the designer with runway show casting and have an understanding of how clothes should be portrayed on the body and how the models should carry themselves, Runway coaches also work with models to help improve their runway performance,

Fashion blogging

It might be hard to believe, but influential websites debuted as small fashion blogs. They’ve since come into their own as industry thought leaders. And they sell lots of advertising too. This is where my friend Priscilla Agbidi Philips rakes in tons of money on the fashion street with her outfit FAM.

Not too much investment is needed in a fashion blog – website development and hosting can be quite inexpensive – but it will require lots of legwork. Whether you’re stalking the city streets with your iPhone in search of fashionable photo ops or following the moves of leading designers, you’ll need to be tracking changing trends at every moment.

On the plus side, a fashion blog can be a complement to your existing job.

PHOTO STYLING

Photo stylists work with photographers to scout shoot locations, get clothing to shoots, buy furniture and accessories and generally make sure the photo shoot goes as planned.

It requires a good sense of fashion, an understanding of fashion history, and the smarts to know where to source your products.

FASHION EVENT PLANNING

While it may not be about fashion, event planning is all about creating a “look” that is conceptual.

Event coordinators do everything from getting the tablecloths, flowers, musicians and making sure it all works together, It’s sort of like photo styling and fashion because it involves color and concept and creating a whole atmosphere and ambience with an event.

An event planner can start a business with almost no overhead,. And you can expect to charge at least 10,000 Naira per hour for your services.

BELT BUCKLES AND CREATIVE BUTTONS ARE A NEW CRAZE

Creating unique, fashionable belt buckles and Buttons that stand out can be both a creative outlet and a big money-maker. You can have your sketches sent to USA or china for even small order Manufacturing and then sold in exclusive stores.

COLLECTIBLE CLOTHING

Bring back the vintage and retro styles of years past mixed with the style of today with a collectible clothing store syle. A typical example is the collectables outlets on Adeniran Ogunsanya Surulere in Lagos, Nigeria

Consignment Clothing Store

The low-cost way to start a clothing store and in fashion is to sell items on consignment.

Handbag and shoe Design and Manufacturing using Local Fabrics

This is new craze and New style. Check out Nigeria.s young and trendy designers Anwana Umo Cynthia http://facebook.com/aucynthia

Sell your unique handbags to boutiques or directly to customers. There has been reported crazy sales on this unique Idea.

Lingerie Production and Manufacturing

Put a swagger in women’s steps by providing them with attractive lingerie of course fully designed by you. Google Patience Please (A Bayelsan owned first lingerie manufacturer based in lagos)

Promotional Wear is Coming back

From hats to golf shirts, promotional wear continues to be popular with businesses. With small startup Capital and little experience the sky is your limit.

©2013 Young A. Oliki. All Rights Reserved

http:///d8j5chl
Re: Where To Pitch Your Talent In The Nigerian Fashion Industry by Kairoseki77: 1:53am On May 05, 2013
CONTINUE, bro!!

I have an idea for a sunglasses brand. How do you think I should market it??
Re: Where To Pitch Your Talent In The Nigerian Fashion Industry by maven1(m): 5:01pm On Jun 15, 2013
WOW! thanks for this post.... uhm_ please can you throw more light on how to get into the business as a fashion designer!

I've always dreamed of being a fashion mogul and i'm always drawing new designs. I really want to start a line but don't have an idea on how. i'm 17 and Gods willing i'll be going to the university this year but i don't want that to be hinderance....even if i have to work 24/7.. Also i don't live anywhere close to a bigcity_(closest here is abuja).
please don't say i'm too young cause it'll not do any good, I have my goals written_ i working on how to raie money!
I just need help on how to start and where to go?? thanksmiley grinsmiley
Re: Where To Pitch Your Talent In The Nigerian Fashion Industry by INDESTRUCTABLEX(m): 5:47pm On Jun 16, 2013
It's a very nice idea, but don't let your fashion to hinder your school. You may have the passion and plans but in our society today, a certificate is an added advantage. M not into fashion per say, or I am into it but as an entrepreneur. I blog and hopefully looking for partners to work with on my ideas. Will be graduating next year by Gods' grace... So for now, I advice you take lessons for some months on fashion. There are several fashion academies before you get your admission. While in school, design what you wear, market what you wear and keep improving... I think that's the best way. Hope dis helps,thanks.
Re: Where To Pitch Your Talent In The Nigerian Fashion Industry by maven1(m): 6:41pm On Jun 17, 2013
Thanks alot! I don‘t intend on letting it interfare with my studies... Just want to balance them 2gether! Don‘t know how possible that is... And thanks again!
Re: Where To Pitch Your Talent In The Nigerian Fashion Industry by INDESTRUCTABLEX(m): 6:52pm On Jun 17, 2013
maven1: Thanks alot! I don‘t intend on letting it interfare with my studies... Just want to balance them 2gether! Don‘t know how possible that is... And thanks again!
It is very possible, and of course the best way to start. Some of the successful entrepreneurs I have met started while in school. In school you have a great audience to influence and market your products to. School also provides an excellent platform to fail and TRY AGAIN.
I can boldly say that the sessions I got myself involved in other activities, my results were better in school.
In summary, start up small. It may not necessarily be in your 100level because you need a solid foundation(dats if the skul uses ur 100l result as the case is in mine). Pick a chunk at a time.... C u @ d top. Hope dis helps

1 Like

Re: Where To Pitch Your Talent In The Nigerian Fashion Industry by maven1(m): 7:58am On Jun 18, 2013
[quote
author=INDESTRUCTABLEX]
It is very possible, and of course the best way to start. Some of the
successful entrepreneurs I have met started while in school. In school
you have a great audience to influence and market your products to.
School also provides an excellent platform to fail and TRY AGAIN.
I can boldly say that the sessions I got myself involved in other
activities, my results were better in school.
In summary, start up small. It may not necessarily be in your 100level
because you need a solid foundation(dats if the skul uses ur 100l result
as the case is in mine). Pick a chunk at a time.... C u @ d top. Hope
dis helps[/quote] thanks! it really helped!... God bless!
Re: Where To Pitch Your Talent In The Nigerian Fashion Industry by EFOSAVAL(f): 12:13am On Aug 06, 2013
Cool stuff i must say wink our fashion school has classes for full time and part time so check us out your dreams may just come true soon.

(1) (Reply)

Christmas Gift Ideas / Top 3 Mascaras I Use / PHOTO: Guys Can You Rock This Hairstyle?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.