Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,324 members, 7,811,960 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:58 AM

Help On How To Cook Bread Fruit - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Help On How To Cook Bread Fruit (2339 Views)

See The Bread I Bought From Onitsha Shoprite Yesterday / 10 Ways You Didn’t Know To Cook An Egg / '2GO Bread' Spotted In Asaba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help On How To Cook Bread Fruit by Sobrit(m): 9:18pm On May 04, 2013
Hello ladies of nairaland. Please, i need a guide on how to cook bread fruit (ukwa). I think the igbo ladies will be in better position to do this as it is an igbo delicacy. I will appreciate.
Re: Help On How To Cook Bread Fruit by degurl(f): 7:03am On May 05, 2013
You will get more options if you Google it.There are so many recipes online. Just type recipe for Ukwa.
I love love and love if so much, just a little you will eat will fill you up.
Re: Help On How To Cook Bread Fruit by Sobrit(m): 7:52am On May 05, 2013
@dgurl, u are right. U don't need truck load of this delicacy. Just little quantity does it. Again, it won't be bad if you give me d guide here where i can also ask further questions if need be. In the google platform, one must swallow hook line and sinker
Re: Help On How To Cook Bread Fruit by degurl(f): 9:37am On May 06, 2013
Pick thoroughly to remove stones and debris.
Wash in upto 5 changes of water.
The problem with this food is that it takes very very long time to get cooked so I add a pinch of potash to soften it on time. Add lots of water to cover the ukwa.
When its getting soft, add your sliced onion, pepper, grounded crayfish, pieces of stockfish, dry fish (the stockfish and dry fish are optional). Allow to cook further.
When its cooked/soft, add salt and palm oil.
In my place, we like our ukwa mashed. So at this point, remove the stock and dried fish and mash the ukwa till well blended. Garnish with the fish and serve hot or cold. *really tasty*
The sad thing is that I can't get the damn ukwa to buy here in my area. Its so annoying.

2 Likes

Re: Help On How To Cook Bread Fruit by Sobrit(m): 11:18am On May 09, 2013
Thanks a million degurl.. Really apreciate this. I,m in d east so it's available here

(1) (Reply)

Noodles 101 (Mayvis & Claire) App. (With More Pictures) NOW ON PLAYSTORE. / Warning!! What You Are About To See Will Make U Salivate / Is It Only Me? I Don't Find Western Food Tasty

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 7
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.