Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,771 members, 7,820,699 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:44 PM

How To Build A Strong Team, For Your Start-up... What do you think? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How To Build A Strong Team, For Your Start-up... What do you think? (942 Views)

Want To Be A Mod On A Social Community? (join Our Team For 2017) / Help Me I Want To Create A Strong Team. / 5 Wordpress Plugins You’ll Need For Your Start-up Blog (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Build A Strong Team, For Your Start-up... What do you think? by Matthewbriggs(m): 6:15pm On May 06, 2013
Hello web-masters, designers, database managers and coders extraordinaire. I am just a guy with an idea for a product, I have spent quite a while developing the ideas that power this product. I have no coding background, but an awesome design sense. I want to put together a very strong team to execute this Idea. Please I need your input in regards to

How do I go about it?
How do I know the right people?
As a top developer/designer what do you look out for in a founder before you join his team.
What is your preferred numeration. Stock options or cash?

Thanks for your comments and inputs in advance
#Mathew Briggs

1 Like

Re: How To Build A Strong Team, For Your Start-up... What do you think? by spikesC(m): 6:23pm On May 06, 2013
How do I go about it?
embarassed

From there inputs, suggestions and ideas.

As a top developer/designer what do you look out for in a founder before you join his team.
Passion, profitability, my interest, the idea itself.

Both (Always) wink
I consider the short and the long run

3 Likes

Re: How To Build A Strong Team, For Your Start-up... What do you think? by Matthewbriggs(m): 10:07am On May 07, 2013
spikes C: How do I go about it?
embarassed

From there inputs, suggestions and ideas.

Passion, profitability, my interest, the idea itself.

Both (Always) wink
I consider the short and the long run

Thanks Man for your input.

1 Like

Re: How To Build A Strong Team, For Your Start-up... What do you think? by GraphicsPlus(m): 10:29am On May 07, 2013
if it`s an idea that requires coding, you MUST go and learn coding first.
Re: How To Build A Strong Team, For Your Start-up... What do you think? by spikesC(m): 12:36pm On May 07, 2013
GraphicsPlus: if it`s an idea that requires coding, you MUST go and learn coding first.
it is a lie, a big one. I've worked on a startup where the owner doesn't know what is a variable. We still got along all fine
Re: How To Build A Strong Team, For Your Start-up... What do you think? by LeBlack: 3:37pm On May 07, 2013

1 Like

Re: How To Build A Strong Team, For Your Start-up... What do you think? by Matthewbriggs(m): 3:54pm On May 07, 2013
GraphicsPlus: if it`s an idea that requires coding, you MUST go and learn coding first.

spikes C:
it is a lie, a big one. I've worked on a startup where the owner doesn't know what is a variable. We still got along all fine

Thanks spikes For your Moral support. @graphic plus. Tried to learn how to code but discovered that am not very passionate about it. So i didn't Bother learning it Because without passion i can never be very good at it so i have focused my energy on developing my strengths in user interface design and user experience design. Moreover I believe in synergy of skill sets, specialization, and team work.

Like Jeff bezos says : Jeff Bezos:
Chairman and CEO of Amazon
“One of the huge mistakes people make is that they try to force an interest on themselves. You don’t choose your passions; your passions choose you.” ~ from the 2013 book Shortcut to Prosperity: 10 Entrepreneurial Habits and a Roadmap for an Exceptional Career.

LeBlack: Hope this helps... http://www.youngentrepreneur.com/startingup/leadership-qualities-skills/6-tips-for-building-a-strong-founding-team/

Thanks leblack for the info.
Re: How To Build A Strong Team, For Your Start-up... What do you think? by GraphicsPlus(m): 6:22pm On May 07, 2013
Guy, if the idea requires coding, you MUST learn some coding or it will not fly.
Go and ask Zukerberg and Seun.

1 Like

Re: How To Build A Strong Team, For Your Start-up... What do you think? by spikesC(m): 6:31pm On May 07, 2013
GraphicsPlus: Guy, if the idea requires coding, you MUST learn some coding or it will not fly.

The initial Nairaland is a PHP script...seun learned coding along the way.
Oga, i have first hand experience in this...This is just the same thing as a person brought a job for you and says he doesn't have money to pay.

If you're interested in the project, you talk with him, else, you say no.

I chose startups i wanna work it with the advice i gave him. If he likes i can break it down for him.
Re: How To Build A Strong Team, For Your Start-up... What do you think? by GraphicsPlus(m): 7:06pm On May 07, 2013
Good you said that Seun had to learn coding. You cannot succeed in a project that has to do with coding 90% and 10% of front-end if the owner of the project dont know about coding. He MUST go and learn one language. Seun knows Python. Zukerberg knows PHP, Ajax and so on. Bill Gate knows some languages.
Re: How To Build A Strong Team, For Your Start-up... What do you think? by spikesC(m): 8:37pm On May 07, 2013
GraphicsPlus: Good you said that Seun had to learn coding. You cannot succeed in a project that has to do with coding 90% and 10% of front-end if the owner of the project dont know about coding. He MUST go and learn one language. Seun knows Python. Zukerberg knows PHP, Ajax and so on. Bill Gate knows some languages.

And do you think mark still has a say in the codes.
Ceo's dont code. There's a division of labour in every organisation. 60 percent of ideas in this world are executed by other people (made up value).
It's discouraging telling people they must develop their ideas themselves.
Re: How To Build A Strong Team, For Your Start-up... What do you think? by GraphicsPlus(m): 8:58pm On May 07, 2013
I didnt say he must develop his idea all by himself alone. I didnt say he must go and learn all the languages. I said he must know at least a language and be able to know what is happening in the hood. A time will come that he may not have chance to code again, but yet he will not be unaware of what is happening in the coding department. For a start, he should be able to code. Mark coded the first facebook by himself.

1 Like

Re: How To Build A Strong Team, For Your Start-up... What do you think? by elvis10ten(m): 10:09pm On May 07, 2013
I agree with graphicsplus but i also agree with spikes C, both partially. @OP you need to know things about programming and atleast a programming language. This doesn't mean you have to code your idea, no. It makes you communicate well with the other team members and also know great programmers to hire with other benefits i can't think of now. The thing that kills 99.9999% start-up is bad programmers, if you have one in your start-up you are doomed. Its more deadly than HIV. You need good programmers in your start-up, how do you know good programmers when you are not a programmer ?. You don't just accept people because they show you things they built or what they know, its far beyond that. The only dangerous bypass will be to take a friend that is a programmer then explain the idea to him then he do the interview and the rest but how do you know if he is good ?. I am not saying you can't survive without learning programming, after all many start-up does that but .......
Re: How To Build A Strong Team, For Your Start-up... What do you think? by Matthewbriggs(m): 7:44am On May 08, 2013
GraphicsPlus: Guy, if the idea requires coding, you MUST learn some coding or it will not fly.

I hundred percent disagree with this statement. It will fly, all I need is the right team.
Re: How To Build A Strong Team, For Your Start-up... What do you think? by elvis10ten(m): 8:26am On May 08, 2013
Matthew briggs:

I hundred percent disagree with this statement. It will fly, all I need is the right team.
HOW DO YOU GET THE RIGHT TEAM ?. Some one works up to you and tell you he is a programmer and he is brought in ?
Re: How To Build A Strong Team, For Your Start-up... What do you think? by dansmog(m): 9:25am On May 08, 2013
@mathew briggs, you can have a good team,.. You said you focused on UX and UI, and am sure you also know some good design, maybe with photoshop, and other design tools? Right? Then look for a passionate, interested co-founder (who is better than you, in programming)... Then both of you can start..

You know Design and UX/UI and he knows ''Top Coding''.... Your startup is ready.

i am also learning how to build @topic and also a great startups, so i have read a lot from lean startups to building a great product.. And i have so many non coders built technological(web-wise) startups by getting passionate and interested coders into it.

1 Like

Re: How To Build A Strong Team, For Your Start-up... What do you think? by dansmog(m): 9:37am On May 08, 2013
HOW CAN YOU BUILD A GREAT TEAM

from what i have read and learn, you can build a good team for your startups by doing the following.

1. Have a good understand of what you are going into.

2. Have a clear picture of what your startup is solving.

3.since you know ui/ux, build some good mockups and prototypes and maybe do some user testing.

4. Have a clear cut vision and goal for your startup. (no developer will want to join your startup just like that.) it is not easy ''starting up''

WITH THESE IN PLACE[/b]DO THE FOLLOWING:

1. Go to, tech meetups, where you can find developers and designer, product engineers of all kind..

There is one in yaba (i think they open or hold every saturday- with free wifi and programming lessons too) it is called cchub i think.

2. [b]Connect with programmers online:. You can use facebook, twitter, google plus.. And also register in tech forums too.
i make use of this often and it works. I even get foreign developers i mean big time ones, to ask questions too.

3.. Join quora and sprouter to get some of your questions answered.

1 Like

Re: How To Build A Strong Team, For Your Start-up... What do you think? by Matthewbriggs(m): 9:58am On May 08, 2013
Dansmog++

Thanks for your input. I Really appreciate it. Item I-4 is sorted out, I have a very cool and detailed mockup on Ground, a detailed business plan, A very strong grasp of what I want and The Required Skill sets I Want On my Team. Will proceed with your second suggestion.

Thanks man.
Re: How To Build A Strong Team, For Your Start-up... What do you think? by GraphicsPlus(m): 10:34am On May 08, 2013
Let`s watch then. Later, you will remember my advice. Drop the idea for now and go learn at least a language.
Re: How To Build A Strong Team, For Your Start-up... What do you think? by dansmog(m): 10:37am On May 08, 2013
Matthew briggs: I Will proceed with your second suggestion.

Thanks man.
those next suggestions, you need to know how to deliver your msg without selling your idea to them. And at the same time, you should take your time with them too,

try and have private chat with them. And again contact these guys, they can guide you, fayimora, slyr0x, dual core, omo-to-dun, seun, yawatide, and graphicsplus to mention a few you are welcome boss..

1 Like

Re: How To Build A Strong Team, For Your Start-up... What do you think? by dansmog(m): 10:40am On May 08, 2013
GraphicsPlus: Let`s watch then. Later, you will remember my advice. Drop the idea for now and go learn at least a language.
what kind of language should he learn? Html and css, python, php? Lets assume it is a web app? Atleast help him with the appropriate things sir. Thank you, and i have also learnt from your contributions too. Thank you again

1 Like

Re: How To Build A Strong Team, For Your Start-up... What do you think? by elvis10ten(m): 5:50pm On May 08, 2013
dansmog++:
@mathew briggs, you can have a good team,.. You said you focused on UX and UI, and am sure you also know some good design, maybe with photoshop, and other design tools? Right? Then look for a passionate, interested co-founder (who is better than you, in programming)... Then both of you can start..

You know Design and UX/UI and he knows ''Top Coding''.... Your startup is ready.

i am also learning how to build @topic and also a great startups, so i have read a lot from lean startups to building a great product.. And i have so many non coders built technological(web-wise) startups by getting passionate and interested coders into it.
Please list big companys that their main founder didn't put their hand in codes ?, just wanna know. @OP please visit www.paulgraham.com and you will see what am saying.
Re: How To Build A Strong Team, For Your Start-up... What do you think? by dansmog(m): 8:54pm On May 08, 2013
elvis10ten: Please list big companys that their main founder didn't put their hand in codes ?, just wanna know. @OP please visit www.paulgraham.com and you will see what am saying.
there are many of them. Yes! Many of them.

The truth is learning to code is a good thing, but the other truth is as far as starting up is concern, you need two major key players, The technical guy, and the designer. Business things fit come in later. these wonderful founder, said he tried learning how to code, but there was no passion for that, rather sticks to what he knows best UX/UI and Design please is these not a major skill in startups? Come on guys.

It is not easy to leave you salary work or something and come join a ''startup'' as a big time programmer when the co-founder does not understand what is at stake. And the truth is he knows and am sure he is passionate about it.

1 Like

Re: How To Build A Strong Team, For Your Start-up... What do you think? by dansmog(m): 9:44pm On May 08, 2013
elvis10ten: Please list big companys that their main founder didn't put their hand in codes ?, just wanna know. @OP please visit www.paulgraham.com and you will see what am saying.
steve jobs, chet kanojia..@mathew And please check this link out, same question but in hackers news https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=46024

1 Like

Re: How To Build A Strong Team, For Your Start-up... What do you think? by Matthewbriggs(m): 9:59pm On May 08, 2013
dansmog++:
steve jobs..@mathew And please check this link out, same question but in hackers news https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=46024
Thanks man I checked it and it reinforced your premise quite well. Learnt a lot from it. Thanks for the moral support.

1 Like

Re: How To Build A Strong Team, For Your Start-up... What do you think? by elvis10ten(m): 8:13pm On May 09, 2013
OK, GOODLUCK. *fingers crossed*
Re: How To Build A Strong Team, For Your Start-up... What do you think? by Matthewbriggs(m): 9:04am On May 21, 2013
Re: How To Build A Strong Team, For Your Start-up... What do you think? by dansmog(m): 12:36pm On May 21, 2013
Matthew briggs: http://www.jason.com.ng/post/50976474476/founders-the-nigerian-style
i dont support non technical co-founders at all. I cant agree with him at all.

(1) (Reply)

Help Please I Want To Build A Site That People Can Login To / SDOSMS - a Complete, Cheap, & Best School Management System. Earn 30% commission / I Cant Find Www.arebsfashion.com On Search Engines.why?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.