Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,747 members, 7,820,581 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:31 PM

My Friend's Wife Is In Coma More Than 2 Weeks Now - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / My Friend's Wife Is In Coma More Than 2 Weeks Now (3407 Views)

Chicken Pecks Buyer To Coma In Asaba / Man Gives Birth To Baby Girl: His Wife Is The Father (Argentina) / Florida Woman Edwarda O'bara Dies After 42 Years In Coma (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Friend's Wife Is In Coma More Than 2 Weeks Now by gentlegg(m): 3:20pm On May 07, 2013
Please am posting this to seek medical advice and response. The wife of my best friend in this world has been in coma more than 2 weeks now. She has been moved from FMC to Teaching hospital yet all to no avail. The problem started about 2 weeks after child delivery(her first). She experience recurrent and very frightening seizures/convulsion. The seizure can last more than an hour and she is incommunicado since then, for more than 2 weeks now she has not opened her eyes, has not sat down on her own, has not been talking, poos on the bed and urinates on the bed through pipe, has been just lying down and her breathing could be unbelievably loud, has been on oxygen over 90% of past 2 weeks. More than 27 lab tests were conducted at FMC Asaba but only saw protein in her urine and HBP which have affected her brain.

Somebody said her sickness is called ECLAMPSIA which I've googled and all they explained about ECLAMSIA is 100% what this lady is suffering. I called that my friend few hours ago in hospital and he said her condition just got worse that she couldn't go for a CT Scan neurologist sent her for. Her doctors are scared of moving her around for now. They said is neurological problem and brought neurologists that demanded for the CT Scan before they can ascertain her problem and the scan is to be done outside the hospital but her doctor refused her being moved for now due to her worsening condition.

Please if anybody here knows what could be done to save my friend's wife, advice me for any medical assistance.
Re: My Friend's Wife Is In Coma More Than 2 Weeks Now by ziga: 4:28pm On May 07, 2013
Just like you said, it sounds like she had Eclamsia which resulted in the seizure.

Seizures are bad and prolonged seizures can result in brain damage which is why Docs always try to prevent seizures, or stop them ASAP.

From what you have described, the prognosis sounds bad because prolonged coma means she most likely sustained a lot of damage while she had the seizure.

Another possibility is a hemorrhagic stroke which could have occured due to severe elevations in BP caused by Pre-eclampsia/eclampsia.

At this point, a CT scan is a good idea to see if there are any things in her brain that can be fixed. e.g a significant bleed in the brain can be drained, also increased pressure in the brain can be relieved (Not sure if some of these things are available where she is)

Besides some of these things I have mentioned above, the brain is one of those places that medicine can't do much to heal.

Also the fact that she has been in a coma for so long puts her at risk of complications related to being unconscious (and also of medical therapies that she will receive) e.g Pneumonia, Sepsis, UTIs etc.

So, the situation doesn't look good.
Re: My Friend's Wife Is In Coma More Than 2 Weeks Now by ziga: 4:36pm On May 07, 2013
gentlegg: Please am posting this to seek medical advice and response. The wife of my best friend in this world has been in coma more than 2 weeks now. She has been moved from FMC to Teaching hospital yet all to no avail. The problem started about 2 weeks after child delivery(her first). She experience recurrent and very frightening seizures/convulsion. The seizure can last more than an hour and she is incommunicado since then, for more than 2 weeks now she has not opened her eyes, has not sat down on her own, has not been talking, poos on the bed and urinates on the bed through pipe, has been just lying down and her breathing could be unbelievably loud, has been on oxygen over 90% of past 2 weeks. More than 27 lab tests were conducted at FMC Asaba but only saw protein in her urine and HBP which have affected her brain.

Somebody said her sickness is called ECLAMPSIA which I've googled and all they explained about ECLAMSIA is 100% what this lady is suffering. I called that my friend few hours ago in hospital and he said her condition just got worse that she couldn't go for a CT Scan neurologist sent her for. Her doctors are scared of moving her around for now. They said is neurological problem and brought neurologists that demanded for the CT Scan before they can ascertain her problem and the scan is to be done outside the hospital but her doctor refused her being moved for now due to her worsening condition.

Please if anybody here knows what could be done to save my friend's wife, advice me for any medical assistance.

A CT scan for her is very impportant and should have been done years ago.

It is also the most important test that can determine whether she can be saved or not. It is quite unfortunate that most hospitals do not have these facilities on ground.
Re: My Friend's Wife Is In Coma More Than 2 Weeks Now by gentlegg(m): 5:06pm On May 07, 2013
@Ziga

Thanks very much for your contribution. Yes the CT Scan is the next thing to do, doctors are only waiting for her condition to stabilize a bit before she would be moved for the scan.
Honestly am afraid her brain might have been affected because she started misbehaving prior to her condition.

Do you know anywhere in Nigeria (eastern in particular) where such case can be best handled?
Re: My Friend's Wife Is In Coma More Than 2 Weeks Now by JoannaSedley(f): 8:52pm On May 07, 2013
Memphis neurosurgeons at ENUGU. Do not know the place though, just ask around please.
Re: My Friend's Wife Is In Coma More Than 2 Weeks Now by ryom(m): 2:25am On May 08, 2013
@op, I'm afraid this doesn't sound good. This is a classical case of prevention being better than cure. Pre-eclampsia usually precedes full blown eclampsia and it is at that stage all effort should have been put in place to prevent progression, including ending the pregnancy to save baby and mum. Even in the best of hands and the best of places, eclampsia is bad, very bad. If you believe in prayers, start now. And mobilise others to join you in prayers while the medics continue to do what they can. All the best bro and keep us posted.
Re: My Friend's Wife Is In Coma More Than 2 Weeks Now by gentlegg(m): 9:07am On May 08, 2013
@Joanna Sedle
Thanks a lot. Yes somebody suggested that Memphis at Enugu the day we are transferring her from FMC Asaba to NAUTH. But the doctors said she may not survive such a long distant journey unless in an ambulance. We are waiting for the CT Scan to know what next.

@ryom
I concur with you. They totally ignored pre-eclampsia signs before the full blown eclampsia. Infact, she was billed for CS delivery at FMC before my friend's sister took the lady to one useless maternity place and they forced her normal delivery after which she was not medically attended to. Infact we are 100% relying on prayers as the doctors are trying their best.
Re: My Friend's Wife Is In Coma More Than 2 Weeks Now by Nobody: 10:36am On May 08, 2013
I don't have much info...but to say I hope and pray she gets through this. cry
Re: My Friend's Wife Is In Coma More Than 2 Weeks Now by Nobody: 10:56am On May 08, 2013
they did what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! they forced vaginal delivery for someone who was scheduled for CS.

Jesus have mercy shocked lipsrsealed
Re: My Friend's Wife Is In Coma More Than 2 Weeks Now by ziga: 11:40am On May 08, 2013
gentlegg: @Joanna Sedle
Thanks a lot. Yes somebody suggested that Memphis at Enugu the day we are transferring her from FMC Asaba to NAUTH. But the doctors said she may not survive such a long distant journey unless in an ambulance. We are waiting for the CT Scan to know what next.

@ryom
I concur with you. They totally ignored pre-eclampsia signs before the full blown eclampsia. Infact, she was billed for CS delivery at FMC before my friend's sister took the lady to one useless maternity place and they forced her normal delivery after which she was not medically attended to. Infact we are 100% relying on prayers as the doctors are trying their best.

People beware!!! A lot of people have "medical opinions" But only Doctors have been trained regarding medical decisions. I bet nobody takes their Car to a Bricklayer for repairs.

Best of luck bro!!!
Re: My Friend's Wife Is In Coma More Than 2 Weeks Now by gentlegg(m): 1:45pm On May 08, 2013
@Salsera
Very unfortunate they did, you see, some laypersons think that CS is the devil's work, they try everything to avoid CS. And am sure had my friend's wife delivered through CS maybe she wouldn't be in this dilemma. Anyway mistake already made, we are asking for her recovery.

@Ziga
Honestly we are only hoping on divine luck. Am really feeling for my friend. This guy is a nice guy, why this to him, already over 200K has been spent without improvement, she's now permanently on oxygen and an hour on oxygen at NAUTH is N1,500 x 24hrs = 36k daily ONLY for oxygen.
Re: My Friend's Wife Is In Coma More Than 2 Weeks Now by Wendy80(f): 2:46pm On May 08, 2013
Its still baffles ♍ε̲̣̣̣̥ what pple have against CS that they prefer to put dia life on the line......Even those who had itt are ashamed to say it....well for ♍ε̲̣̣̣̥ I had a CS 7weeks ago and I'm not ashamed to say it neither do I have any regret...cos the most important thing is mother alive, Baby alive.......I don't have any medical adv to give but prayers......I'll keep praying for that lady God will definitely c her thru
Re: My Friend's Wife Is In Coma More Than 2 Weeks Now by JoannaSedley(f): 3:03pm On May 08, 2013
G
Re: My Friend's Wife Is In Coma More Than 2 Weeks Now by JoannaSedley(f): 3:04pm On May 08, 2013
ziga:

People beware!!! A lot of people have "medical opinions" But only Doctors have been trained regarding medical decisions. I bet nobody takes their Car to a Bricklayer for repairs.

Best of luck bro!!!
funny, this is a case where health faclities are not monitored appropriately to ascertain their credibility, level of professionalism, competence scope of practise and license which ultimately leads to proliferation of quacks. Trained medical workers refer patients who are at risk of something to a higher level of care not the other way round.
Re: My Friend's Wife Is In Coma More Than 2 Weeks Now by ziga: 5:33pm On May 08, 2013
Joanna Sedley: funny, this is a case where health faclities are not monitored appropriately to ascertain their credibility, level of professionalism, competence scope of practise and license which ultimately leads to proliferation of quacks. Trained medical workers refer patients who are at risk of something to a higher level of care not the other way round.

My opinion is that even though it is important, it is extremely difficult to monitor every health facility.

On the other hand, we as medical professionals (Docs/Nurses/Midwives/Pharmacists) should hold ourselves accountable for the lives of our patients.

We should NEVER work above the level of our training. First DO NO HARM. And this implies to every medical professional. We know our limitations, and we should never be too proud to ask for another's opinion.

On the other hand, you see everybody diagnosing/prescribing/dispensing.

Medicine is extremely vast and it was structured to have Doctors/Surgeons/pharmacists/Nurses etc.

Some of our roles overlap, but our roles are clearly defined.

Unfortunately, just like an earlier post said, THIS SHOULD NEVER HAVE HAPPENED!!!
Re: My Friend's Wife Is In Coma More Than 2 Weeks Now by gentlegg(m): 5:39pm On May 08, 2013
Wendy80: Its still baffles ♍ε̲̣̣̣̥ what pple have against CS that they prefer to put dia life on the line......Even those who had itt are ashamed to say it....well for ♍ε̲̣̣̣̥ I had a CS 7weeks ago and I'm not ashamed to say it neither do I have any regret...cos the most important thing is mother alive, Baby alive.......I don't have any medical adv to give but prayers......I'll keep praying for that lady God will definitely c her thru
Thank God you're hale and hearty with your kid, God will surely see her through by His mercy.
Re: My Friend's Wife Is In Coma More Than 2 Weeks Now by Blendy77(f): 7:13pm On May 08, 2013
Waooo.....what women go through to bring a child into this world and most of us who scale thru feel its our birthright to be hale and healthy after delivery. I pray the Almighty God heal her and bring her out of this. I'll also join in praying for her. Our love to her husband and the baby.
Re: My Friend's Wife Is In Coma More Than 2 Weeks Now by tjskii(f): 6:05am On May 09, 2013
Lord ave mercy,I really pray she pulls through,is the baby alive
Re: My Friend's Wife Is In Coma More Than 2 Weeks Now by gentlegg(m): 10:29am On May 09, 2013
tjskii: Lord ave mercy,I really pray she pulls through,is the baby alive
the baby is alive and okay.

Blendy77: Waooo.....what women go through to bring a child into this world and most of us who scale thru feel its our birthright to be hale and healthy after delivery. I pray the Almighty God heal her and bring her out of this. I'll also join in praying for her. Our love to her husband and the baby.
Please continue praying for her life

About 5:30am this morning the husband called me that his town's man doctor that works at NAUTH met with the chief doctor in charge of her wife and the doctor told him that they've not much to do again, even that there is no need for the CT Scan again. That they are just trying their best, that they should consult prayer people for divine intervention. Infact the in-laws are now quarreling with him out of frustration. I told him to compel the doctor for a CT Scan today to ascertain what next to do. We are still hoping against hope believing God.
Re: My Friend's Wife Is In Coma More Than 2 Weeks Now by Nobody: 8:12pm On May 09, 2013
About 5:30am this morning the husband called me that his town's man doctor that works at NAUTH met with the chief doctor in charge of her wife and the doctor told him that they've not much to do again, even that there is no need for the CT Scan again. That they are just trying their best, that they should consult prayer people for divine intervention. Infact the in-laws are now quarreling with him out of frustration. I told him to compel the doctor for a CT Scan today to ascertain what next to do. We are still hoping against hope believing God. [/quote]Very sad.Pray God grant her mercy and heal her.
Re: My Friend's Wife Is In Coma More Than 2 Weeks Now by safe06: 7:48am On May 10, 2013
@op,its well with ur friend's wife,may God heal her.amin.
Re: My Friend's Wife Is In Coma More Than 2 Weeks Now by gentlegg(m): 9:46am On May 10, 2013
Unfortunately, finally she's gone. She died yesterday afternoon. Sobbing.
Re: My Friend's Wife Is In Coma More Than 2 Weeks Now by dominique(f): 10:58am On May 10, 2013
Oh dear cry, I was following the thread silently and praying for her survival. May God console her family and take care of the baby left behind. May she RIP sad
Re: My Friend's Wife Is In Coma More Than 2 Weeks Now by Blendy77(f): 11:29am On May 10, 2013
Oh my! May God grant her family the fortitude to bear the loss. My her soul rip.
Re: My Friend's Wife Is In Coma More Than 2 Weeks Now by Nobody: 12:23pm On May 10, 2013
May God grant the family the fortitude to bear the loss.Soooo sad
Re: My Friend's Wife Is In Coma More Than 2 Weeks Now by VENUSS(f): 6:29pm On May 10, 2013
dominique: Oh dear cry, I was following the thread silently and praying for her survival. May God console her family and take care of the baby left behind. May she RIP sad
Was also following silently and praying. Oh so sad what women go trough to have a baby. I pray God gives the family the fortitude to bear the loss and that she is in a better place.
This is a wake up call for those thAt sees Ceasarean section as a taboo.
Oh a sad case of "had I known" for the sister and the hubby for not standing his ground. So so sad.
Re: My Friend's Wife Is In Coma More Than 2 Weeks Now by tjskii(f): 6:49pm On May 10, 2013
Awww so sad she died,may her soul RIP cry
Re: My Friend's Wife Is In Coma More Than 2 Weeks Now by Wendy80(f): 7:44pm On May 10, 2013
Sista has killed her Sistta inlaw..........sure she's singing had I known now...May she RIP n giv ur friendd the strength 2cari on
Re: My Friend's Wife Is In Coma More Than 2 Weeks Now by tanidabi: 8:02pm On May 10, 2013
May her soul RIp,without been negative I was almost sure it was the end.Women where are you oo pls don't let anyone mess u up o be vigilant and educative enuf to know your body and inlaws beware o dis woman is someone's dota,in a matter of yrs now d widower will remmarry,I do not know when Cs became a prob o wicked sis in law ,thank God for husband's that are firm am sorry but where was d hubby wen sis in law was making d decision
Re: My Friend's Wife Is In Coma More Than 2 Weeks Now by tyosho: 12:10am On May 11, 2013
This was a totally avoidable death.why did that husband allow his sister determine the medical fate of his own wife?and please what is wrong with CS?vaginal birth no be by force.im a new mother myslf and I must say I'm sooo sad at this news.so that baby has lost his mum over the carelessness of his father.i pray for that baby because its rare to find one like a mother.
Re: My Friend's Wife Is In Coma More Than 2 Weeks Now by gentlegg(m): 4:10pm On May 11, 2013
Thanks all for your contributions. Well, I equally blame my friend and mostly his sister that took the lady to the maternity. The first time i heard that she delivered in a quack maternity (my friend didn't even tell me) I confronted my friend and asked him why he allowed that, he said he wasn't at home when the sister took his wife there, that it was during the difficult delivery when the woman could not push again that the sister called him on phone and told him what was happening, after some hours, on getting there the baby is out already. I told him face to face never to allow her sister, brother, whoever to try such again, but i never knew he's not yet really out of that silly mistake. He said he didn't object against that when he was called on phone because the doctor did not give him any serious reason for the CS, probably he thought is not a big deal.

I don't really want to continue blaming them anyway because they never had bad intentions only just ignorance. Is just a lesson for all of us to learn. At least if such situation arises around you, you can flash back your memory to the lady that died, and be cautiously wise.
Re: My Friend's Wife Is In Coma More Than 2 Weeks Now by vanitty: 6:22pm On May 11, 2013
gentlegg: Unfortunately, finally she's gone. She died yesterday afternoon. Sobbing.

Oh dear, I was really hoping for a happy ending.
May her gentle soul rest in peace and grant solace to the husband and baby she left behind.
My condolences once more

(1) (2) (Reply)

Sperm Donation Business Booming In Lagos / Treatment For Stretch Marks / Dangerous Drugs That Have Been Globally Discarded But Are Available In Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.