Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,127 members, 7,835,798 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 03:07 PM

Nigeria Was Better, Healthier And Safer During Military Administrations - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Was Better, Healthier And Safer During Military Administrations (1030 Views)

Women Representation Under Buhari Poorer Than Past Administrations – UN / Soldiers & Criminal Execution(firing Squad)in Nigeria During Military Era (pix) / External Reserve And Debt Under Obasanjo, Yaradua And Jonathan Administrations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Was Better, Healthier And Safer During Military Administrations by Orikinla(m): 8:35pm On May 07, 2013
Facts don't lie and these are the following facts to prove my point.
[size=18pt]

Gen.Yakubu Gowon remains the best and most loved head of state in the leadership of Nigeria since 1960 to date.

Standards of health care and education were 100% better during the military administrations in Nigeria. Nigeria performed better in sports. Nigeria's Nollywood was born and boomed until 1999.
Things started deteriorating when the ruling People's Democratic Party (PDP) came to power in 1999.

Immediately after the catastrophic Nigerian civil war, General Yakubu "Jack" Dan-Yumma Gowon embarked on post war programmes of Reconciliation, Reconstruction and Rehabilitation and with particular emphasis on National Reintegration and he succeeded before the unnecessary coup on July 25, 1975, led by Colonel Joe Nanven Garba and other offers who appointed Brigadier Murtala Muhammad as head of the new government, and Brigadier Olusegun Obasanjo as his deputy. But in spite of this coup and other military coups (romantically labelled military interventions), the military administrations were more focused on the nation building of a New Nigeria in the leadership of Africa in the world and their administrations produced more efficient graduates, scholars and technocrats among the most productive generation of Nigerians. But when the civilian political contractors and their political jobbers and political opportunists came with political thuggery and gangsterism, rigging of elections and tribal antagonism to plunder Nigeria and today have left Nigeria in ruins.

Gen. Olusegun Obasanjo handed over to the civilian head of state President Shehu Shagari in 1979. And twenty years later in 1999 the military administration of General Abdulsalami Abubakar handed power to him as a retired military general turned civilian politician.

The military administrations of Generals Muhammad Buhari, Ibrahim Babaginda, the late Sanni Abacha and Abdulsalami Abubakar were still better and safer.

More Nigerians have been killed in assassinations and terrorists attacks since 1999 to date than all the years of military rule after the Nigerian civil war.

More notable political leaders and journalists have been murdered since the ruling party PDP came into power in 1999.

The World Health Organization reported recently that about 80 per cent of the total maternal deaths recorded in the world (Nigeria records the second most terrible occurrence in the world)

The infant mortality is now worsening with under five mortality ratio in Nigeria at 201 per 1000 live births meaning that one in five Nigerian children never reach the age of 5. Infant deaths, which account for half of child mortality have increased from what they were in 1990.

The academic system is now chaotic and tertiary schools are producing mostly intellectually retar-ded graduates who have failed world class job interviews which their peers in Ghana and South Africa have excelled. The situation has deteriorated to the public disgrace of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) scheme rejecting graduates of Nigerian universities who were discovered to be illiterates in English.

Majority of Nigerian youths can name all the soccer teams in English Premiership and the European Champions league and hit tracks of imbecilic hip hop songs, but cannot name the chairmen or women of their local government areas. [/size]

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Was Better, Healthier And Safer During Military Administrations by Nobody: 8:45pm On May 07, 2013
You are seeing the glass as half-full, I guess.

Another way to describe your premise is to say that Nigeria progressively got worse over the years and while under military rule.

And where did you get the idea that Gowon was the most loved head of state?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Was Better, Healthier And Safer During Military Administrations by andresia(m): 8:46pm On May 07, 2013
Orikinla, nigeria became a dangerous nation when this pyscopath frm the creeks assumed leadership and wants to remain in it to satisfy himself and co-gangsters

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Was Better, Healthier And Safer During Military Administrations by Orikinla(m): 8:52pm On May 07, 2013
nnenna.1:
You are seeing the glass as half-full, I guess.

Another way to describe your premise is to say that Nigeria progressively got worse over the years and while under military rule.

And where did you get the idea that Gowon was the most loved head of state?

Who is better loved than Uncle Jack?
Ask your fathers, uncles and aunts and even grandparents, the five years of Gen Yakubu Gowon's rule after the Nigerian civil war have been among the best years of Nigeria since 1960 to 1999.
Re: Nigeria Was Better, Healthier And Safer During Military Administrations by Nobody: 8:55pm On May 07, 2013
Orikinla:

Who is better loved than Uncle Jack?
Ask your fathers, uncles and aunts and even grandparents, the five years of Gen Yakubu Gowon's rule after the Nigerian civil war have been among the best years of Nigeria since 1960 to 1999.

Well my discussions with some older folks don't support your "most loved" description.
Re: Nigeria Was Better, Healthier And Safer During Military Administrations by NeoXVI: 8:58pm On May 07, 2013
Are you for real? Apparently you be proper olodo + ewu awusa

If the military brass had been able to contain their greed and stayed in their barracks all those years, our democracy would have had real roots by now and the country would have progressed orders of magnitude on where we are now.

I can't believe a grown man would make this infinitely dumb claim.

And Gowon is the most loved HOS? You're a certified clown my friend grin
Re: Nigeria Was Better, Healthier And Safer During Military Administrations by Orikinla(m): 9:01pm On May 07, 2013
Neo-XVI:

If the military brass had been able to contain their greed and stayed in their barracks all those years, our democracy would have had real roots by now and the country would have progressed orders of magnitude on where we are now.

[size=28pt]PLEASE, TALK WITH FACTS.

THE MILITARY IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR PRESENT WOES ID-IOT.
\[/size]
Re: Nigeria Was Better, Healthier And Safer During Military Administrations by Rossikk(m): 11:03pm On May 07, 2013
Poster said:

The infant mortality is now worsening with under five mortality ratio in Nigeria at 201 per 1000 live births meaning that one in five Nigerian children never reach the age of 5. Infant deaths, which account for half of child mortality have increased from what they were in 1990.

You're a damn, bloody LIAR. EVERYTHING you've typed is a pack of LIES.

Contrary to your LIES, conditions in Nigeria have improved drastically since the wretched days of miliotary dictatorship.

A few statistics by UNICEF:

Nigeria:

Infant mortality (deaths per thousand)

Under-5 mortality rate, 1990

Under-5 mortality rate, 2010

Infant mortality rate (under 1), 1990

Infant mortality rate (under 1), 2010

Crude death rate, 1970

Crude death rate, 1990

Crude death rate, 2010

Life expectancy at birth, 1970

Life expectancy at birth, 1990

Life expectancy at birth, 2010

[That figure is up to 52 at 2012 rates]

GDP per capita average annual growth rate (%), 1970-1990

GDP per capita average annual growth rate (%), 1990-2010

Under-5 mortality rate, 1970

Under-5 mortality rate, 2000

Average Rate of Reduction in Under 5 Mortality Rate:

Average annual rate of reduction (%), 1970-1990

Average annual rate of reduction (%), 1990-2000

Average annual rate of reduction (%), 2000-2010

http://www.unicef.org/infobycountry/nigeria_statistics.html
Re: Nigeria Was Better, Healthier And Safer During Military Administrations by idupaul: 11:05pm On May 07, 2013
Neo-XVI:

12 years after military govts u still think they are responsible for Jonathan's stupidity or Tinubu's self capitailism . So please tell us when ur democracy will take root

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Was Better, Healthier And Safer During Military Administrations by dayokanu(m): 11:13pm On May 07, 2013
Neo-XVI:

Maybe if Nzeogwu and Ifeajuna had not started the cycle of coups in Nigeria our democracy would have found its root and we would have been better off

Cursed be the day Chukwuma Nzeogwu, Ifeajuna and co were born May they never know peace
Re: Nigeria Was Better, Healthier And Safer During Military Administrations by Orikinla(m): 11:21pm On May 07, 2013
nnenna.1:

Well my discussions with some older folks don't support your "most loved" description.
. Then they must be poor students of Nigerian history. A simple analysis of the Nigerian crisis is enough to understand me. If Gen. Gowon is not the most loved, then who? Tafawa Balewa? Aguyi Ironsi? Murtala Muhammad? Olusegun Obasanjo? Alhaji Shehu Shagari? Muhammad Buhari? Ibrahim Babaginda? Sani Abacha? Shonekan?
Re: Nigeria Was Better, Healthier And Safer During Military Administrations by automaticcarzz: 11:23pm On May 07, 2013
dayokanu:

Maybe if Nzeogwu and Ifeajuna had not started the cycle of coups in Nigeria our democracy would have found its root and we would have been better off

Cursed be the day Chukwuma Nzeogwu, Ifeajuna and co were born May they never know peace
Amen!
Re: Nigeria Was Better, Healthier And Safer During Military Administrations by Nobody: 11:30pm On May 07, 2013
Orikinla: . Then they must be poor students of Nigerian history. A simple analysis of the Nigerian crisis is enough to understand me. If Gen. Gowon is not the most loved, then who? Tafawa Balewa? Aguyi Ironsi? Murtala Muhammad? Olusegun Obasanjo? Alhaji Shehu Shagari? Muhammad Buhari? Ibrahim Babaginda? Sani Abacha? Shonekan?

Maybe he was viewed in the same level as some of the guys you listed above?

Maybe none of the leaders mentioned in this thread stood out well enough to warrant a "most loved" title?

Re: Nigeria Was Better, Healthier And Safer During Military Administrations by Orikinla(m): 10:25am On May 08, 2013
Rossikk: Poster said:

Contrary to your LIES, conditions in Nigeria have improved drastically since the wretched days of miliotary dictatorship.

Nigeria:

Crude death rate, 1970

Crude death rate, 1990

Crude death rate, 2010

Just to let you know, I have been a UNICEF national program consultant on child survival and development in 1988 in my early 20s and co-produced the NGOs handbook for public health education in 1989.

This is no clearer than in Nigeria, a country with an abundance of resources and plays a leading role in African affairs, particularly in West Africa, and yet it has one of the highest maternal and neonatal mortality rates in the world.

A shocking 700 babies die each day and 136 mothers die in, or as a result of, childbirth in Nigeria. Garba lost his twin babies during the delivery, and his wife one day after. He is pictured here with his three remaining children.~ http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthpicturegalleries/8009121/Infant-mortality-in-Nigeria-a-Save-the-Children-picture-story.html.

Also see http://www.american.edu/cas/economics/ejournal/upload/Global_Majority_e_Journal_1-1_Ucha.pdf
Re: Nigeria Was Better, Healthier And Safer During Military Administrations by Orikinla(m): 10:34am On May 08, 2013
nnenna.1:

Maybe he was viewed in the same level as some of the guys you listed above?

Maybe none of the leaders mentioned in this thread stood out well enough to warrant a "most loved" title?

Gowon is the MOST LOVED.
More people loved Gowon than the others.
Remember the UDOJI Awards?

In 1972, during Nigeria's oil boom period, he was assigned by the Yakubu Gowon administration to head a review commission of the nature of the civil service in the country. The commission made recommendations such as an increase in the salaries of public servants, civil servants training, a unified and integrated administrative structure, elimination of waste and removal of inefficient departments and introduction of an efficient civil service on the basis of management by objective. The commission also recommended the establishment of an Ombudsman in the country. However, the review commission was most known for the pay increases in its recommendations.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerome_Udoji
Simple English.
Re: Nigeria Was Better, Healthier And Safer During Military Administrations by Orikinla(m): 10:40am On May 08, 2013
idupaul:

12 years after military govts u still think they are responsible for Jonathan's stupidity or Tinubu's self capitailism . So please tell us when ur democracy will take root

Don't mind them.

Is the military responsible for the current mass failures of secondary school pupils in school certificate exams?
Is the military responsible for Niger Delta and Boko Haram terrorism?
Is the military responsible for the millions of jobless youths?
Is the military responsible for the scarcity of qualified lecturers?
Is the military responsible for unpaid pensions?

My father always collected his pension without long delay during the military era.
Re: Nigeria Was Better, Healthier And Safer During Military Administrations by Bobandgreat: 10:41am On May 08, 2013
@orikinla or whatever u call urself, I am sorry to say this, u are a stupid old man. May God grant ur request and put ur nation under military rule. The rest of us must continue in a civilised civilian rule. Wicked old man, keep causing problems in this country. May God purnish u and ur generals that put this nation in this condition. We shall overcome.
Re: Nigeria Was Better, Healthier And Safer During Military Administrations by Orikinla(m): 10:45am On May 08, 2013
Bobandgreat: @orikinla or whatever u call urself, I am sorry to say this, u are a stupid old man. May God grant ur request and put ur nation under military rule. The rest of us must continue in a civilised civilian rule. Wicked old man, keep causing problems in this country. May God purnish u and ur generals that put this nation in this condition. We shall overcome.

I am not even 50.

I had early success.
Sponsored the participation of Nigeria at two international book fairs in Japan at 20.
Became a project artist for Johns Hopkins University's Population Communications Services at 21.
Became Art/Features Editor of a magazine at 24.
A UNICEF Consultant at 25.
Worked for the Alhaji Bamanga Tukur Presidential Campaign as PA to the Director of Publicity at 27.
But left when IBB cancelled the presidential primaries. I saw the hand writing on the wall before others.

All under the administration of IBB.
Re: Nigeria Was Better, Healthier And Safer During Military Administrations by Bobandgreat: 11:06am On May 08, 2013
[color=#000099][/color]
Orikinla:

I am not even 50.

I had early success.
Sponsored the participation of Nigeria at two international book fairs in Japan at 20.
Became a project artist for Johns Hopkins University's Population Communications Services at 21.
Became Art/Features Editor of a magazine at 24.
A UNICEF Consultant at 25.

All under the administration of IBB.

Did u graduate from university at the age of 20 or u had ur father's wealth to do as u pleased. The rest of us had to go to school, came out looked for job for years and are still struggling to make it in a world where IBB:

1. Introduced austerity measures.
2. Legalized 419.
3. Introduced chop I chop acronym.
4. Institutionalised corruption.
5. Killed any opposition.
6. Gave appointments based on nepotism and loyalty instead of merit.
7. Closed down all our companies including our refineries.
8. Defiled court orders.
9. Corrupted our judges.
10. Annuled a credible election.
11. Introduced office of the first lady funded with tax payers money.
12. Shared oil proceeds amongst his cronies.
13. Clamped down on freedom of speech.
14. Detoriated our power sector.
15. Depreciated our currency.
16. Laundered our money to set up companies abroad.
17. Introduced names like Mr. Fix it, Evil Genius, Maradona, etc.
18. Turned our women to prostitutes for these crood soldiers.

While the rest of us struggled to get close to any big man in the army for our lives to change. Please, stop this. Its mind boggling.

Congratulations, u were successful at a tender age under IBB. Now look at the Nigeria he has left for u and ur children. With all ur success, are u really successful. Do u feel safe enjoying ur success. People are angry, allow them to vent their anger. This is a stage we are passing. Things are changing. Meritocracy is gradually creeping into our society. Let's see where it takes us to. Obasanjo and now Jonathan is genuinely trying to make the country better. You can only see it if u are not sentimental and selfish.
Re: Nigeria Was Better, Healthier And Safer During Military Administrations by na2day(m): 11:08am On May 08, 2013
If you guys think what we are practising in Nigeria, is democrazy, then you are all deluded!
And if you also think, things will get better the way we are going, I'm sorry to say 'you are on a long thing'

For more insight, I advise you all to go and read The 48 Laws Of Power, and you will discover that Nigerian Rulers will continue to run this country for their personal gain till it dies, while feeding the ignorant citizens with hope of a better tomorrow.

About 3years ago, Jonathan came onboard and promised hope and fresh air, but the reality is very painful.
3 years of your life is gone without reaping the benefits of a good government but you can continue to hope that he will become born again before the end of this term and maybe, just maybe you may enjoy what other democracies around the world are enjoying.
If not, maybe if you give him the coveted second term, maybe he might repent and use it to bring down the dividends of democrazy.

Yes, the only thing we enjoy from the government is promise and hope.

They never run out of it.

And the gullible citizens keeps on swallowing it grin

As for me, anything but this sham, this lootocracy, masquerading as demo crazy!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Was Better, Healthier And Safer During Military Administrations by Orikinla(m): 11:16am On May 08, 2013
Bobandgreat: [color=#000099][/color]

Did u graduate from university at the age of 20 or u had ur father's wealth to do as u pleased. The rest of us had to go to school, came out looked for job for years and are still struggling to make it in a world where IBB:

1. Introduced austerity measures.
2. Legalized 419.
3. Introduced chop I chop acronym.
4. Institutionalised corruption.
5. Killed any opposition.
6. Gave appointments based on nepotism and loyalty instead of merit.
7. Closed down all our companies including our refineries.
8. Defiled court orders.
9. Corrupted our judges.
10. Annuled a credible election.
11. Introduced office of the first lady funded with tax payers money.
12. Shared oil proceeds amongst his cronies.
13. Clamped down on freedom of speech.
14. Detoriated our power sector.
15. Depreciated our currency.
16. Laundered our money to set up companies abroad.
17. Introduced names like Mr. Fix it, Evil Genius, Maradona, etc.
18. Turned our women to prostitutes for these crood soldiers.

While the rest of us struggled to get close to any big man in the army for our lives to change. Please, stop this. Its mind boggling.

Congratulations, u were successful at a tender age under IBB. Now look at the Nigeria he has left for u and ur children. With all ur success, are u really successful. Do u feel safe enjoying ur success. People are angry, allow them to vent their anger. This is a stage we are passing. Things are changing. Meritocracy is gradually creeping into our society. Let's see where it takes us to. Obasanjo and now Jonathan is genuinely trying to make the country better. You can only see it if u are not sentimental and selfish.

IBB was not the only military head state.
IBB has invested in companies employing over 100, 000 Nigerians today and your Ọ́tun Ọ́ba Mike Adenuga Jr would not have been a billionaire today if IBB did not have faith in him and for every Glo call and sms or whatever Glo in Nigeria, you are enjoying one of the investments of IBB.
Re: Nigeria Was Better, Healthier And Safer During Military Administrations by slimming: 11:23am On May 08, 2013
This can be true, even though the nation is currently facing internal crisis
Re: Nigeria Was Better, Healthier And Safer During Military Administrations by Orikinla(m): 11:48am On May 08, 2013
slimming: This can be true, even though the nation is currently facing internal crisis

[size=14pt]Most of those attacking IBB here in ignorance are in fact employees and beneficiaries of one of the group of companies he has huge investments. Imagine jobless Nigerians begging for jobs at Glo coming here to attack him in ignorance.[/size]
Re: Nigeria Was Better, Healthier And Safer During Military Administrations by Bobandgreat: 11:59am On May 08, 2013
[color=#000099][/color]
Orikinla:

[size=14pt]Most of those attacking IBB here in ignorance are in fact employees and beneficiaries of one of the group of companies he has huge investments. Imagine jobless Nigerians begging for jobs at Glo coming here to attack him in ignorance.[/size]

I wish I could get my hands on your millions, rob ur million dollar company blind, bankrupt u, use ur money to set up a company and offer ur children gatemen jobs there.
Re: Nigeria Was Better, Healthier And Safer During Military Administrations by Orikinla(m): 8:31pm On May 08, 2013
Rossikk: Poster said:

Nigeria:

Crude death rate, 1970

Crude death rate, 1990

Crude death rate, 2010

[size=18pt]The countries with the most first-day deaths annually are India (more than 300,000) and Nigeria (almost 90,000). In Somalia, which has the highest first-day death rate, babies are about 40 times more likely to die than in Singapore and Sweden, which have among the lowest.[/size]

http://www.multivu.com/mnr/61598-save-the-children-mothers-index
Re: Nigeria Was Better, Healthier And Safer During Military Administrations by Orikinla(m): 8:37pm On May 08, 2013
Bobandgreat: [color=#000099][/color]

I wish I could get my hands on your millions, rob ur million dollar company blind, bankrupt u, use ur money to set up a company and offer ur children gatemen jobs there.

PLEASE, SINCE 1999 TO DATE, HOW HAVE YOU BEEN FARING?
Can you travel by road to the Niger Delta and Northern regions happily as you could do during the military era?
How many NYSC members were killed during the military era?

What happened to all the textile companies that were booming during the military era?

How many Nigerian students preferred to study in Ghana during the military era?

How many businesses relocated to Ghana during the military era?
Re: Nigeria Was Better, Healthier And Safer During Military Administrations by Gboliwe: 8:52pm On May 08, 2013
Orikinla:

PLEASE, SINCE 1999 TO DATE, HOW HAVE YOU BEEN FARING?
Can you travel by road to the Niger Delta and Northern regions happily as you could do during the military era?
How many NYSC members were killed during the military era?

What happened to all the textile companies that were booming during the military era?

How many Nigerian students preferred to study in Ghana during the military era?

How many businesses relocated to Ghana during the military era?
SMH. To think I ever thought you were intelligent. So these are the criteria you are basing your argument on?
Re: Nigeria Was Better, Healthier And Safer During Military Administrations by Nobody: 11:38pm On May 08, 2013
The most destructive legacy of the military was the destruction of the nation's institutions, as well as the bastardization of the civil service.

It is a well-known fact that Nigeria's civil service ranked among the best in Africa at independence. However the military, considering the existence of a well-equipped civil service as a threat to their powers, deliberately sought to undermine the civil service and rule by decree.

Today, Goodluck Jonathan is forced to rule by committees. You know why? Because our civil service is ill-equipped, bloated and too incompetent to execute the most basic of government policies.
Re: Nigeria Was Better, Healthier And Safer During Military Administrations by Nobody: 11:45pm On May 08, 2013
The OP also seems to have conveniently forgotten the fact that it was this same military that abolished federalism in 1967 and introduced the unitary system of government we still struggle with today.

We complain about states depending on oil revenues and refusing to develop their own natural and human resources. Do you know how this began? I'll tell you. First the military, in order to neutralize the secessionist Biafra state, introduced a decree centralizing all oil and gas revenues and undermined our then regional structure by creating states without regard to their economic viability.

Today we have 36 states, the majority of which are dependent on Abuja's purse strings and are creating virtually ZERO wealth. Who put us in this mess?

(1) (Reply)

Ex Militant Reacts Over Mujahid Dokubo-asari And HON Kingsley Arrest / Kogireports.com Hacked By Islamic Ghost Team / Stop Killing Boko Haram Members – Buhari Tells FG

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 106
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.