Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,185 members, 7,818,595 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:29 PM

Modding To The Next Level: Xbox360 & Ps3 Laptop! - Gaming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Gaming / Modding To The Next Level: Xbox360 & Ps3 Laptop! (3932 Views)

What's The Official Prize For A Sony Ps3 And Xbox360 / Lokin For Xbox360 Or Ps3(old Or New) / Where Can I Chip My Xbox360 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Modding To The Next Level: Xbox360 & Ps3 Laptop! by WebMonk(m): 12:02pm On Apr 18, 2008
If you ever thought it would be cool to have an Xbox laptop, or wished those old Atari games in your attic could be reborn on a retro handheld device, you might want to talk to Benjamin Heckendorn.

Better known as Ben Heck, the 32-year-old Wisconsin native has attained legendary status among "modders," hobbyists who tinker with video-game hardware to make it do things the original designers never intended.

Heckendorn got his start eight years ago when he decided to fool around with an old Atari 2600 -- the classic console that popularized home gaming when it launched in 1977 -- and ended up reincarnating it as a handheld device.

"I was shocked, I didn't think anyone would care about it but they did," Heckendorn said.

In fact, they cared so much they began offering Heckendorn hefty amounts of cash to transform their cherished game devices into one-of-a-kind collectibles.

"Ben Heck is basically the best. His mods are as professional as the stuff you can get at Best Buy. That's what makes him stand out from the other basement tinkerers," said Adam Frucci, a contributing editor to the popular tech blog Gizmodo, which has chronicled many of Heckendorn's creations.

"Our readers are always excited to see whatever his newest project is," Frucci said. "He's clearly head and shoulders above anybody else."

Heckendorn keeps busy with a couple dozen projects each year, many updated on his Web site, www.benheck.com. Fees range from a few hundred dollars to convert a clunky old console into a handheld, to more than $4,000 to make a laptop computer out of an Xbox 360.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080327/tc_nm/videogames_benheck_life_tech_dc;_ylt=Atlj4A2MsZg5derTRocn6ycK77EF

Shots of his works:

Re: Modding To The Next Level: Xbox360 & Ps3 Laptop! by timbabng(m): 9:40pm On Apr 20, 2008
, i can imagine a ps3 laptop on my laps right now
Re: Modding To The Next Level: Xbox360 & Ps3 Laptop! by nairamann(m): 6:39pm On Apr 21, 2008
Thank you

(1) (Reply)

10 Funny Excuses Gamers Make When They Lose. / Val Gaming Solutions Now In EKSU.... / How To Have A Safe Experience With Online Betting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.