Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,145 members, 7,811,219 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 06:56 AM

Nigeria Would Have Been Different Under Yar’Adua - Turai - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Would Have Been Different Under Yar’Adua - Turai (12340 Views)

As EFCC Goes After Daughter, Turai Yar’adua Runs To Obasanjo For Help / Do You Think Nigeria Would Ever Be Corruption Free ? / Disputed Abuja Land: Patience, Turai To Give Final Address (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Would Have Been Different Under Yar’Adua - Turai by fkaz(m): 7:14am On May 08, 2013
Former first lady Hajiya Turai Yar ’Adua has stated that Nigeria would have been a different country today if her husband had not died.
Speaking during a memorial lecture organised by students of Umaru Musa Yar’Adua University (UMYU), Katsina , Turai extolled the virtues of the late president .“If Umaru were alive, the history of Nigeria would have been different because he had focus,” she said in an emotion-laden voice.
Turai said even though the late president had health challenges while serving as president , “he gave his best for Nigeria ” and “ Umaru was a very honest man”.
According to her, “the late Umaru always said, ‘I am here to serve, not to make money. I am here to leave alegacy for you, not property’.”
Turai, who lauded the organisers of the memorial lecture, said she was happy to be in their midst because the event was commemorating someone she loved dearly, adding that “each time there is an occasion in memory of Umaru , I must be there no matter how small the organisers are”.
She decried the low turnout at the lecture but said, “I will not blame them because they have other commitments… Umaru believed in commitments and gave his best in everything he did.”
The memorial lecture was organised as part of activities to mark the 2013 edition of UMYU’s Student Union Government Week
http://leadership.ng/news/080513/nigeria-would-have-been-different-under-yar-adua-turai

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria Would Have Been Different Under Yar’Adua - Turai by nedu2000(m): 8:32am On May 08, 2013
I agree with U̶̲̥̅̊ pretty lady,things have definitely got worse since your husband left

20 Likes

Re: Nigeria Would Have Been Different Under Yar’Adua - Turai by Tolexander: 8:54am On May 08, 2013
Very likely!

The man still deserves my respect for reducing the petrol pump price which seems to be the only pump price reduction i have ever witnessed.

But why did she refuse to explain the the rationale behind not declaring Umar Yar Adua's health status that time when he was sick at the lecture organised.

11 Likes

Re: Nigeria Would Have Been Different Under Yar’Adua - Turai by Scarpon(m): 9:00am On May 08, 2013
I don't think so
Re: Nigeria Would Have Been Different Under Yar’Adua - Turai by nep2ra(m): 9:02am On May 08, 2013
I agree with you mi lady. Your husband was a man of integrity, vision, focus and honor. May the much respected gentleman sleep in peace.

18 Likes

Re: Nigeria Would Have Been Different Under Yar’Adua - Turai by Suntemi(m): 9:03am On May 08, 2013
All I can say is, everyone in her shoe will say the same even if the reverse is the case.

4 Likes

Re: Nigeria Would Have Been Different Under Yar’Adua - Turai by effisyman: 9:04am On May 08, 2013
U can say that again.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Would Have Been Different Under Yar’Adua - Turai by TeeSeven(m): 9:06am On May 08, 2013
Thank you ma'am. What else would you have said! I'm sure Madam Dame will probably say her LAME duck is the best president Nigeria has ever witnessed!

9 Likes

Re: Nigeria Would Have Been Different Under Yar’Adua - Turai by jjoro79(m): 9:07am On May 08, 2013
The greatest man of wisdom,may his soul r.i.p

9 Likes

Re: Nigeria Would Have Been Different Under Yar’Adua - Turai by jhydebaba(m): 9:07am On May 08, 2013
Owala 1 of Nigeria tongue

Na same of same joor! Btw ur husband wey be 1 day on 6 days off and dis one wey dey but we no dey feel am, which one better pass

Abegi na same of same jare!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Would Have Been Different Under Yar’Adua - Turai by papil: 9:07am On May 08, 2013
I believe Ya'adua wld always be respected even in his grave,he truely had a vision 4 dis country

10 Likes

Re: Nigeria Would Have Been Different Under Yar’Adua - Turai by mmmustapha(m): 9:08am On May 08, 2013
We lost a great leader with vision and mission, a leader who listen d and protect d right of d masses, a leader who refuse 2 b corrupt unlike our present shoeless jonabad

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Would Have Been Different Under Yar’Adua - Turai by instaforexngr(m): 9:09am On May 08, 2013
well said
Re: Nigeria Would Have Been Different Under Yar’Adua - Turai by Nobody: 9:10am On May 08, 2013

Ok. We don hear

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Would Have Been Different Under Yar’Adua - Turai by jimino(m): 9:11am On May 08, 2013
Yeah it would hv being different. Either positively or negatively.

I believe d country would hv being beta dan dis under GEJ if nt for d distructive, distractive, malacious, disruptive tool called Boko haram step up by d northerns 2 make GEJ tenure luk d worst dan other presidnt in d past.

Bt he is gone nw and we pray our country wil move in d ri8 direction unda GEJ.
Re: Nigeria Would Have Been Different Under Yar’Adua - Turai by Mamaflex(f): 9:11am On May 08, 2013
So true.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Would Have Been Different Under Yar’Adua - Turai by venorite(m): 9:11am On May 08, 2013
True talk, God should give us another dieing president who has nothing to gain but legacy to leave cry

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Would Have Been Different Under Yar’Adua - Turai by Immortal1(m): 9:11am On May 08, 2013
Yes, we know he was very active in spite of his health challenges, lyk u sed, cos u(Turai) were virtually ruling d country!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Would Have Been Different Under Yar’Adua - Turai by geeluck: 9:13am On May 08, 2013
NA BIG LIE....SHE FOR SAY NIGERIA FOR WORSE shocked

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Would Have Been Different Under Yar’Adua - Turai by Nobody: 9:13am On May 08, 2013
I was not expecting you to say another┄
Re: Nigeria Would Have Been Different Under Yar’Adua - Turai by zeanslim(m): 9:14am On May 08, 2013
True talk

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Would Have Been Different Under Yar’Adua - Turai by Nobody: 9:15am On May 08, 2013
it ws d reduction of d pump price of fuel from #70 to #65 dat triggered d increase in subsidy payments. Yar'adua used dat reduction to gain some level of legitimacy,following wide condemnations dat trailed hs election.
D FIFA under 17 world cup in Nigeria in 2009 preventd yar'adua from total removal of subsidy cos he didnt want Nigerians to protest while we had foreigners in our midst. He travelled 2 saudi 2days b4 d policy could be effectd & never came back. (olusegun adeniyi - politics,power n death)

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Would Have Been Different Under Yar’Adua - Turai by dulaman: 9:15am On May 08, 2013
His name is YAR'ADUA. . .which means 'A HEARER, A DOER' HEARERDOER!

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Would Have Been Different Under Yar’Adua - Turai by Jalal(m): 9:16am On May 08, 2013
RIP, yesterday was sure better than 2day!!

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Would Have Been Different Under Yar’Adua - Turai by ZN2: 9:18am On May 08, 2013
In other words, you should've let me rule for longer when he went AWOL. undecided
Re: Nigeria Would Have Been Different Under Yar’Adua - Turai by Nobody: 9:19am On May 08, 2013
I thought I should remind us of the following for the benefit of some Nigerians with selective amnesia and those Nigerians who are always progressing in the REVERSE (ie their yesterday is ALWAYS better than today):

1 It was the govt of Yar Adua that stopped the NIPP power projects started by OBJ govt because of sentiments about location

2 The Yar Adua govt reversed the privatisation of the refineries

3 It was the reduction in pump price of fuel by Yar Adua govt that triggered increase in fuel subsidy payments. The OBJ govt was perpetually increasing fuel price thus ensuring near parity between the landing cost of fuel and pump price. That parity was lost by price reduction in 2007 and lack of change in price until 2012. Check out the pattern of fuel subsidy payments below:
* N261.105 billion was spent on fuel subsidy in 2006
* N278.859 billion in 2007
* N630.571 billion in 2008
* N463.517 billion in 2009
* N673 billion in 2010
* about N2trillion in 2011
* about N1trillion in 2012
* about N1trillion has been budgeted for fuel subsidy in 2013
http://www.ghanamma.com/2012/03/pppra-neiti-reconcile-fuel-subsidy-expenditure/

4. Elections conducted under Yar Adua was as worse as that conducted by OBJ. The 2009 Ekiti gubernatorial re-run election readily comes to mind. That election was so controversial that the REC, madam Ayoka, had to disappear and late re-appeared to announce PDP as winner. The ACN made all their NOISE as usual and later went to court.

5 Yar Adua terminated railway contracts awarded by OBJ govt (though OBJ awarded those contracts very late in his administration). Between 2007 and 2009 NOTHING was happening on the railways. By late 2009, Yar Adua govt re-awarded contracts for railway rehabilitation, but that was about the same time that his health deteriorated

6 It was under the Yar Adua govt that the Boko haram mayhem went out of control due to killing of its leader

7 It was during the Yar Adua govt that the then minister of works, Deziani, wept on the dilapidated Benin-Ore road. NOTHING was done about that road until Yar Adua died.

8 It was during Yar Adua regime that the then governor of Imo state, Ohakim, tried to mobilize Ndigbos to contribute N100 per head to fix dilapidated sections of Onitsha- Owerri road. That road remained death trap until Yar Adua died.

8 It was under Yar Adua, that Gbenga Arulegba, the presenter of Focus Nigeria on AIT, was yanked off the programme due to pressure from federal agents. Gbenga Arulegba was punished for reporting the purchase of fairly used presidential jet as new ones

8 Chief James Ibori was said to have nominated the then head of EFCC. Ibori was also well protected by the govt

9 It was Yar Adua that sacked Ribadu as EFCC head.

10 It was Yar Adua that chased El Rufai into exile

I can go on and on. Note, it does not mean that nothing good happened under Yar Adua govt, eg the issue of amnesty for Niger Delta militants

18 Likes

Re: Nigeria Would Have Been Different Under Yar’Adua - Turai by fitzmayowa: 9:19am On May 08, 2013
If you think Yar'adua is better than Jonathan aka (retardeen) like this post

58 Likes

Re: Nigeria Would Have Been Different Under Yar’Adua - Turai by Nobody: 9:19am On May 08, 2013
pls stop comparing d dead wit d living. Jst let d dead be dead.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Would Have Been Different Under Yar’Adua - Turai by IAMBREEZY: 9:20am On May 08, 2013
True talk ma'am
Re: Nigeria Would Have Been Different Under Yar’Adua - Turai by Edoboy1(m): 9:20am On May 08, 2013
Would have been different in what way? There wouldn't have been boko haram, yes. Because he was a Northerner. But would there have been a better developed Nigeria? I don't think so, because yes he had a vision, but was never there to do it as he was always on a sick bed. The only painful solution to our problems is REVOLUTION or SEPERATION, because, we are too tribalistic and religious in this country.
Re: Nigeria Would Have Been Different Under Yar’Adua - Turai by Dee60: 9:22am On May 08, 2013
I believe so too.

This is why Nigeria needs divine intervention. Why is it that the good leaders dont make it there and when they do they dont last? Why?
Re: Nigeria Would Have Been Different Under Yar’Adua - Turai by Pedagogue: 9:22am On May 08, 2013
She's right on just 1 thing - That Nigeria would have been ''DIFFERENT" under Yar'adua

Perhaps we would never have had it so bad because under Jonathan, Nigeria has never had it so bad!!!

But in all honesty, We would not have been remarkably better under Yar'adua (or is it under Turai? )

Because really,we did not know Turai had been ruling the country all along until Yar'adua was hospitalised!!!

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Human-Rights Is Silent Over Nasarawa Police Killings : Why? / Cardinal Onaiyekan: Fulani Herdsmen Are Seen As Evil / Akeredolu Appoints Kupolokun Chairman Of Transition Committee

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.