Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,068 members, 7,818,183 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:45 AM

Nigerian Stock Exchange Beginner's Guide - Investment (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Nigerian Stock Exchange Beginner's Guide (15007 Views)

The Beginner’s Guide To Investing In The Nigerian Stock Market (ebook) / Website For Analysing The Nigerian Stock Market? / Dangote Resumes As President Of Nigerian Stock Exchange (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Beginner's Guide by Kennyfancy(m): 11:53am On May 10, 2013
thanks bros.. i realy want to buy long term share by all means.. bt i stayed in warri, delta state.. pls ugodre send me ur number at kennetheganyomake@gmail.com... or pls who knw any stock~broker in delta state
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Beginner's Guide by Adeyeyeaki(m): 1:41pm On May 10, 2013
@Op, thanks for this information. Tho I didnt have enuf idea when I enter the market and till now stil want some clearities on some issues.
I wanted to invest on long time basis then and with the little money I have then I bought UBA(Standard Trust Bank then), Sky Bank, First Bank and Afri Bank shares. I didnt have problem as per the UBA/STB merger. Now Afri bank turning to Streamline Bank am not hearing any thing from them. I went for a broker when the news spread that we are moving to e-trading. I got a broker (LEAD CAPITAL). The coy even made me to loose intrest in stock buying. I had visited their office in VI but they seems to me as a dribbler or maybe I didnt have big shares with them thats why they are not responding to me at all.
@OP, you just revive my spirit again in this aspect. Can I have you email address for a proper guide. Mine is: blessingarena@yahoo.com

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Beginner's Guide by mrikay: 2:50pm On May 10, 2013
doctorbabs:

if u have a broker, paying those dividends into ur account with them, they will use it to buy shares for u if thats what u want.

yes, but I dont have a stock broker right now. Is it possible to walk into a stock brokers office and tender the certificates without paying much more money? Thanks.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Beginner's Guide by dotman(m): 4:25pm On May 10, 2013
Adeyeyeaki: @Op, thanks for this information. Tho I didnt have enuf idea when I enter the market and till now stil want some clearities on some issues.
I wanted to invest on long time basis then and with the little money I have then I bought UBA(Standard Trust Bank then), Sky Bank, First Bank and Afri Bank shares. I didnt have problem as per the UBA/STB merger. Now Afri bank turning to Streamline Bank am not hearing any thing from them. I went for a broker when the news spread that we are moving to e-trading. I got a broker (LEAD CAPITAL). The coy even made me to loose intrest in stock buying. I had visited their office in VI but they seems to me as a dribbler or maybe I didnt have big shares with them thats why they are not responding to me at all.
@OP, you just revive my spirit again in this aspect. Can I have you email address for a proper guide. Mine is: blessingarena@yahoo.com

One thing i noticed from your portfolio is that, u have a lot of banking shares. This means that ur nt adequately diversified. Almost all the banking stocks move in the same direction ( same as stocks in the same sector). If there is a downward trend in the banking sector, all your shares would go down at the same time. I advise you sell some shares, and buy non banking stocks that the correlation btw the sectors is low. That way, if there is a surge in the banks, you probabely wouldnt feel it that much.

If you notice, if GT bank shares rise, its likely that Zenith would rise as well, and if it falls, they follow each other
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Beginner's Guide by nolio(m): 4:32pm On May 10, 2013
His trying to sell shares
SLIDE waxie: Is he tryin to make a point abi point is tryin to make him?
What is he saying?
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Beginner's Guide by vascey(m): 8:03pm On May 10, 2013
@ OP thank you for this informative post. I know most of the things you mentioned but I appreciate your taking time to put it all down here just to enlighten folks. Good job. Those who do good shall receive good in return and so shall you. Cheers.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Beginner's Guide by debeey87(m): 4:36am On May 11, 2013
If a company has a PE ratio of more than 5 but has a very low price on the exchange say like 1:00 Naira. I that to say the company is still a good buy.I want to know because going by the method of calculating the PE ratio, I calculated for some companies and discovered they have ratios as high as 45 but they are trading at a low price like 2 Naira.

Also if you check the company's financial statement and discover they have liabilities, what does that mean, and how does that help my investment decision.

looking forward to hear from you.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Beginner's Guide by debeey87(m): 9:12pm On May 13, 2013
Apart from a PE Ratio of 5 and above. I do you know if a company is good if you check the company is gud when you check the asset and laibilities column. What do you look for there?
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Beginner's Guide by Adeyeyeaki(m): 12:28am On May 15, 2013
How can I get a good broker? thats my main problem
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Beginner's Guide by Seun(m): 3:46am On May 15, 2013
debeey87: Apart from a PE Ratio of 5 and above. I do you know if a company is good if you check the company is gud when you check the asset and laibilities column. What do you look for there?
The PE ratio does not tell you whether a company is good. It gives you a rough and unreliable idea of whether the company is "cheap" based on their last profits.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Beginner's Guide by debeey87(m): 8:46pm On May 15, 2013
Seun:
The PE ratio does not tell you whether a company is good. It gives you a rough and unreliable idea of whether the company is "cheap" based on their last profits.

so is it wen ur PE is below 5 dat d company is cheap or above. And my second question is what to look out for in the asset and liability column of their financials
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Beginner's Guide by Nobody: 7:29am On May 17, 2013
debeey87:

so is it wen ur PE is below 5 dat d company is cheap or above. And my second question is what to look out for in the asset and liability column of their financials

Am a learner as u, but I overheard an oldie say his strategy is to buy wen pe is below 4.
The lower d pe, d better. Pe is d no of years it will take to recover ur investment. Wen checking pe, note dt it must have a figure and must nt be negative. Also check d last time d coy published result. sum coys last published their results pre melt down. So d pe u will get frm d coy is nt a good reflection of the coy. Another thing investors consider is eps (earning per share). To know if its ok, u compare d eps to d cureent mkt price of dt share to the eps and current mkt price of other coys.
Apart frm pe and eps, coy governance and history also matter. How do they run d coy? Do they mismange funds? Wat was d last time they paid bonus and dividend? How good is their books?
I also noticed dt dividend paying and bonus paying stocks tend to appreciate more than non div paying stocks. To check which ones are div paying, u can check in proshareng.com. U will see d last time the coy paid div and/ or bonus and how much.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Beginner's Guide by Mubz(m): 7:01am On Jun 22, 2013
Hello evrybs, Pls how do one transfer the share certificates of a deceased person?
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Beginner's Guide by adonisvg(m): 9:49am On Sep 14, 2013
pls hw do i get a stock broker in delta state...i'm corp member serving in oleh, delta state. Any hints?
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Beginner's Guide by Elai147: 1:44pm On Sep 17, 2013
adonisvg: pls hw do i get a stock broker in delta state...i'm corp member serving in oleh, delta state. Any hints?

Why not consider online stockbroking firms like Meritrade instead.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Beginner's Guide by olafusimic(m): 11:05am On Oct 07, 2014
Get a free Investment Guide for Nigerians and also learn from someone who shares deep practical experiences, visit http://www.olafusimichael.com/search/label/NSE
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Beginner's Guide by soloniger(m): 11:56pm On Oct 10, 2014
grin
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Beginner's Guide by moii: 4:14pm On Oct 13, 2014
Op please I have some shares I bought like 7years ago, I want to sell all of them cos I need the money where should I start from, I don't have a stockbroker and I don't know any.I was talking to someone about it and he said I will need to open an account in a stock broking firm and I will need like 60,000 naira, I don't know how true it is please shed more light and I don't mind if u will recomend a stockbroker.thanks
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Beginner's Guide by hornyman(m): 6:14pm On Apr 12, 2016
fckyourman:

You know some portfolio managers are really selfish they really don't care about their clients.

Guy most portfolio managers know nothing jor. I met some of them that advised me to buy useless stocks that did not even appreciate considering the number of years I have bought them. I am stockwise now, I myself will predict and guess a number of stocks that may likely do well in the market. If I will buy stock soon I don't need the advise of any portfolio managers even though I will buy through them but I will determine the exact stock I want and they must not buy otherwise, if I am loosing money in future I will know I messed myself up since its my money rather than someone advise me wrongly. Most of them are selfish they really don't care about their clients but their own self interest.
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Beginner's Guide by okitejoseph: 3:46pm On Apr 03, 2018
Having the knowledge on the listed securities in the stock exchange will go a long way in creating awareness on the particular securities to invest in... To know more, see listed securities in any stock exchange https://www.nigeriabusinessplan.com.ng/listed-securities-traded-on-organized-exchanges/
Re: Nigerian Stock Exchange Beginner's Guide by zubidavies: 5:58pm On Apr 23, 2020

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pls Don't Get Involved With Access Capital Investment. They Scammed Me Yesterday / Photonews: Pension Fund 'thieves' Arraigned In Abuja / Crypto-training(JOB OPPORTUNITIES/crypto-trading/crypto-investment.)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.