Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,953 members, 7,821,346 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:44 AM

What Is Gong On About Nigeria Basketball And The Development Of The Sport? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / What Is Gong On About Nigeria Basketball And The Development Of The Sport? (995 Views)

WOW! Nigeria's Basketball Team Won Continental Title, They Will Be Participating / Nigeria Vs USA: Olympics Basketball (73 - 156) On 2nd August 2012 / Olympics: Nigeria Basketball Team Qualify For London 2012 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is Gong On About Nigeria Basketball And The Development Of The Sport? by alemunile: 7:14pm On May 08, 2013
what is going on with the Nigeria basketball? who are incharge of the sport in the country now?
Re: What Is Gong On About Nigeria Basketball And The Development Of The Sport? by alemunile: 6:03pm On May 10, 2013
LOL. I guess the English premiership is the only sport known in Nigeria. wow. what happen to those days Nigerian go crazy for there Nigeria sports? funny we throw our money outside supporting a team that some of us will never see their players in person. but will not even invest in our country sport. and we want result? do any body no anything about basketball, tennis, volleyball? e.t.c lets support our country, we will gain more.
Re: What Is Gong On About Nigeria Basketball And The Development Of The Sport? by joephemzyz(m): 8:39pm On May 10, 2013
Hello poster, I'm a student of one of d tertiary institutions in Nigeria..and I play basketball(college team)...here in lagos......from d little knowledge I have abt d game in nigeria I knw there is a professional league for men...and also for women.....all directed by the NBBF...the men's league is sponsored by DSTV.....women's league....zenith bank.....as we speak, I guess the men have played abt 5 fixtures or 6....games r played during d weekend @ d national stadium...and oda venues......thanks......#ballislife
Re: What Is Gong On About Nigeria Basketball And The Development Of The Sport? by alemunile: 9:17pm On May 10, 2013
yes my man I heard about those league. but back in the days. I will go far back late 80s early 90. we use to pay to get in to watch basketball at the stadium in surulere. and then there were more than one tournament a year. and the sport all use to be so packed that people waiting to get a look at the action. if I told u the basket the use at the stadium today is still the same the bought in 1987. when Nigeria hosted the Africa junior basketball in 87. that was when they beat angola in the final. is been over 2 decades and we are going backwards in some major sport in our country instead of forward. even in football. the greatest footballers that ever came out of Nigeria. played in Nigeria all their careers. Odegbame. Christian chukwu. to name a few. our so called leaders need to get their heads out of their asses and promote the sports in our country from the tender age. that is y the Europeans and America sport men and women are way better than us. all we do is cheats by cutting corners
Re: What Is Gong On About Nigeria Basketball And The Development Of The Sport? by joephemzyz(m): 10:59am On May 12, 2013
Thanks for enlightenin me sir,from ur post sir,its easy to figure out that uve been followin the sport 4 a long time, or u are into the sport.
At present,no one pays to watch a basketball game in the stadium....dats bad u know....and d fact that most league teams don't have arenas where they play....and its so suprisin that d rim hasn't been changed afta such a long time...I hope tins change 4 better..cos dere r lots of guyz out there that luv dis game
Re: What Is Gong On About Nigeria Basketball And The Development Of The Sport? by alemunile: 4:57pm On May 12, 2013
The key word is love! that is what the leaders of the game in our country don't have for the game. and that is what is killing the game. i love the game and i love my country. and i will support whatever will make sports grow in our great country. i still have hope that the day will come.
Re: What Is Gong On About Nigeria Basketball And The Development Of The Sport? by WarriorX1: 8:28am On May 14, 2013
This site usually gives regular updates on Nigerian basketball and recently did an interview with Tijani Umar, President of NBBF

http://teamnigeriabasketball.com/tnb-interview-tijani-umar-it-all-comes-down-to-hard-work/

I guess lack of funding and organisation has not helped, but the guys that are abroad are doing very well....Afrobasket is in August
Re: What Is Gong On About Nigeria Basketball And The Development Of The Sport? by joephemzyz(m): 10:03am On May 14, 2013
Hanks warrior..4 d website u posted..
Re: What Is Gong On About Nigeria Basketball And The Development Of The Sport? by alemunile: 7:11pm On May 14, 2013
Thanks for the link site warrior X. about the lack of funding that is up to the president of the federation to take care of. I don't think he work hard enough to better the game. The member should select a person that love the game and that have the time and money along with connection to bring in good support for the game. Awareness is what we need. Nigeria is too big of a country to be having the kind of bball program we running in out nation. Angola have 2 or more u.s players imported on each team. and they have no one player in the NBA.
Re: What Is Gong On About Nigeria Basketball And The Development Of The Sport? by WarriorX1: 11:21am On May 15, 2013
It is hard to compare Angola and Nigeria, first off just take a look at the population difference of both countries, I believe if we can put more money into our basketball program and maybe encourage our players oversees to support the development, we could go places. Angola are also getting some support from their players and officials based in Portugal, maybe we need to do the same, we have guys like Hakeem Olajuwon, Masai Ujiri and Ime Udoka who can lend their support to the nation only if the right foundation is there....
Re: What Is Gong On About Nigeria Basketball And The Development Of The Sport? by alemunile: 4:35pm On May 15, 2013
great point. I heard through the grapevine that all this great guys that we have oversea will love to help the Nigeria program but our leaders just wouldn't let it happen. All because of their greediness. they want to know what they will get out of it like monetary wise. and some of them were given money to do something and the money went to their pockets. where in the world did u hear that one person is coaching both the male and the female team. And he has been doing it for years from what I heard. how is a country going to develop with someone like that leading a team?
Re: What Is Gong On About Nigeria Basketball And The Development Of The Sport? by alemunile: 8:23pm On May 15, 2013
first I want to say congratulation to all the elected members of the nbbf I hope this next four years will be better that the last. GOOD LUCK.
Re: What Is Gong On About Nigeria Basketball And The Development Of The Sport? by joephemzyz(m): 9:12am On May 19, 2013
I think the government has a huge role to play in sports organisation n development ....I dnt knw y our league can't b properly organisd like in the US where players re recruited outta college hence promotin literacy and talent...also more competitions should be introduced and properly coordinated.
Re: What Is Gong On About Nigeria Basketball And The Development Of The Sport? by alemunile: 10:24am On May 19, 2013
I can not agree with u more. but we both know that corruption and greed are things that are killing the development of anything is our great country. and our so leaders are to blame. all of them have foreign access and know how things are done oversea. but they are just selfish and morons. mostly they dont care about we the little people. but all we can do it hope and pray but the best.

(1) (Reply)

Skelewu By Davido Played At Half Time Of Atletico Madrid Vs Espanyol / Vote For Vincent Enyeama As The 2014 BBC African Footballer Of The Year / BREAKING NEWS!: See The Result Of Mayweather/Pacquiao Fight

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.