Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,307 members, 7,829,719 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:59 AM

South African Ship Union Stops Chinese Arms Shipment To Zimbabwe - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / South African Ship Union Stops Chinese Arms Shipment To Zimbabwe (1141 Views)

$1.1b Fraud: British Judge Questions GEJ's Integrity, Stops Etete From Getting / Buhari Shut Ibeto Cement, Halts Shipment Of Cement For Unknown Reason / "Traitor" Obasanjo Rejected As AU Election Observer To Zimbabwe By PAF (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

South African Ship Union Stops Chinese Arms Shipment To Zimbabwe by bawomolo(m): 6:23pm On Apr 18, 2008
JOHANNESBURG: A South African union has refused to unload arms from a Chinese ship destined for Zimbabwe, in a politically charged move challenging President Thabo Mbeki's handling of relations with the neighboring state.

Unions have been highly critical of Mbeki for not taking a tougher line against President Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwe, who is locked in an election stalemate with the opposition over the delay of results from a March 29 election that has raised fears of violence.

The 300,000-strong South African Transport and Allied Workers Union, known as Satawu, said it would not unload the weapons in the port city of Durban because Mugabe's government might use them to crack down on opponents in the disputed election.

The weapons were to be transported to land-locked Zimbabwe.

"We are concerned that the current standoff could mean the arms would fall into the hands of those who want to use military force against the people of Zimbabwe," the union's general secretary, Randall Howard, said on Friday.
Today in Africa & Middle East
Mugabe casts Zimbabwe dispute as fight against colonialism
Bomb kills dozens at Iraqi funeral
U.S. erecting wall in Sadr City

"The South African government cannot be seen as propping up a military regime," he said.

Howard said the union refused to handle four containers on the vessel which contain arms and ammunition.

A South African government spokesman has confirmed there are weapons on the ship, but said his country would not interfere in a trade matter between China and Zimbabwe.

Zimbabwe's deputy information minister, Bright Matonga, said on Friday that no party had the right to stop the shipment.

"Every country has got a right to acquire arms. There is nothing wrong with that. If they are for Zimbabwe, they will definitely come to Zimbabwe," he told South Africa's SAfm radio.

"How they are used, when they are going to be used is none of anybody's business."

The vessel, An Yue Jiang, has been cleared to dock and unload its cargo in Durban, transport officials said.

China is under an international spotlight over its human rights record and rule in Tibet ahead of hosting the Olympics in August. Violent protests have followed the Olympic torch across the globe.

China's foreign ministry said in a short faxed statement to Reuters that it had seen the reports about the ship, but "did not understand the actual situation."

"China and Zimbabwe maintain normal trade relations. What we want to stress is, China has always had a prudent and responsible attitude towards arms sales, and one of the most important principles is not to interfere in the internal affairs of other countries," said the statement.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/04/18/africa/18zimship.php

zimbabweans are getting closer to eating mudpies. chia.
Re: South African Ship Union Stops Chinese Arms Shipment To Zimbabwe by 4Play(m): 6:30pm On Apr 18, 2008
After,some incredibly nescient people will blame the West for most of the arms trade in Africa
Re: South African Ship Union Stops Chinese Arms Shipment To Zimbabwe by 4Him1(m): 6:31pm On Apr 18, 2008
bawomolo:

zimbabweans are getting closer to eating mudpies. chia.

One mudpie probably costs Z$200m.
Re: South African Ship Union Stops Chinese Arms Shipment To Zimbabwe by bawomolo(m): 6:41pm On Apr 18, 2008
oga 4him, that isn't much. all the geniuses in the Zimbabwean central bank have to do is get a photocopying machine and start printing more cash.
Re: South African Ship Union Stops Chinese Arms Shipment To Zimbabwe by Kobojunkie: 6:50pm On Apr 18, 2008
Arms Shipment?? I am thinking the man did expect to continue as president for him to have placed such an order for arms.LMAO!!!!
Re: South African Ship Union Stops Chinese Arms Shipment To Zimbabwe by 4Him1(m): 6:53pm On Apr 18, 2008
bawomolo:

oga 4him, that isn't much. all the geniuses in the Zimbabwean central bank have to do is get a photocopying machine and start printing more cash.

It would be more cost-effective to spend that time baking the mudpies. They will need scarce money to buy ink for their copiers not so.
Re: South African Ship Union Stops Chinese Arms Shipment To Zimbabwe by RichyBlacK(m): 7:28pm On Apr 18, 2008
4 Play:

After,some incredibly nescient people will blame the West for most of the arms trade in Africa

You keep exposing your inability to understand numbers. That ONE ship from China transported arms to South Africa and (allegedly) destined for Zimbabwe, is no indication of the origin of "most of the arms trade in Africa". Your overtly simplistic mindset is cause for much ponder, worry and concern for the future of he human race! grin
Re: South African Ship Union Stops Chinese Arms Shipment To Zimbabwe by 4Play(m): 7:31pm On Apr 18, 2008
RichyBlacK:

You keep exposing your inability to understand numbers. That ONE ship from China transported arms to South Africa and (allegedly) destined for Zimbabwe, is no indication of the origin of "most of the arms trade in Africa". Your overtly simplistic mindset is cause for much ponder, worry and concern for the future of he human race! grin

I think you have to be a crass tit to deduce that my conclusion that most of Africa's arms trade isn't from the West comes solely from this article.
Re: South African Ship Union Stops Chinese Arms Shipment To Zimbabwe by RichyBlacK(m): 7:35pm On Apr 18, 2008
4 Play:

I think you have to be a crass tit to deduce that my conclusion that most of Africa's arms trade isn't from the West comes solely from this article.
4 Play:

See bushman! This thread is for the article posted. What other articles are you referring to, Mr. Defender of the West?
Re: South African Ship Union Stops Chinese Arms Shipment To Zimbabwe by 4Play(m): 7:43pm On Apr 18, 2008
RichyBlacK:

See bushman! This thread is for the article posted. What other articles are you referring to, Mr. Defender of the West?

Abeg,go somewhere and whine about Kobo.Tit,should we presume that your calling me "Mr Defender of the West" is due solely to comments on this thread and nothing to do with other things you have read?
Re: South African Ship Union Stops Chinese Arms Shipment To Zimbabwe by RichyBlacK(m): 7:48pm On Apr 18, 2008
4 Play:

Abeg,go somewhere and whine about Kobo.Tit,should we presume that your calling me "Mr Defender of the West" is due solely to comments on this thread and nothing to do with other things you have read?

Zuwo! The answer to your dumb question is YES.

My question: How many times had you been banned prior to my reporting you to Seun?
Re: South African Ship Union Stops Chinese Arms Shipment To Zimbabwe by 4Play(m): 7:57pm On Apr 18, 2008
RichyBlacK:

Zuwo! The answer to your dumb question is YES.

My question: How many times had you been banned prior to my reporting you to Seun?

You are stupid then.If this thread was the first time ever you saw my posts,you would have concluded that calling me "Mr Defender of the West" is apt? That tells us how stupid you are.

How many times have you petitioned Seun to ban me?
Re: South African Ship Union Stops Chinese Arms Shipment To Zimbabwe by manmustwac(m): 8:10pm On Apr 18, 2008
I heard about the arms shipment on the BBC World Service, he obviously wants to stay in power by all means
Re: South African Ship Union Stops Chinese Arms Shipment To Zimbabwe by RichyBlacK(m): 8:15pm On Apr 18, 2008
4 Play:

You are stupid then.If this thread was the first time ever you saw my posts,you would have concluded that calling me "Mr Defender of the West" is apt? That tells us how stupid you are.

How many times have you petitioned Seun to ban me?

Cool down before you burst a vein hitting the keyboard frantically to type out "stupid".

You're a chronic defender of all things Western, admit it! Except you just recently changed your ways, then that's cool.

But please be honest. You had been banned before my personal intervention. No be so?
Re: South African Ship Union Stops Chinese Arms Shipment To Zimbabwe by 4Play(m): 8:36pm On Apr 18, 2008
RichyBlacK:

Cool down before you burst a vein hitting the keyboard frantically to type out "stupid".

You're a chronic defender of all things Western, admit it! Except you just recently changed your ways, then that's cool.

You are getting more stupid by the minute.How could you assume that I was a chronic defender of the West solely on the strength of my post on this thread?

You are effectively admitting what I noted earlier-it smacks of stupidity to think that you can understand all posts within a thread as merely referring to only that particular thread.

I am still asking you:How many times have you petitioned Seun to ban me? Mr Petitioner.
Re: South African Ship Union Stops Chinese Arms Shipment To Zimbabwe by RichyBlacK(m): 8:57pm On Apr 18, 2008
4 Play:

You are getting more stupid by the minute.How could you assume that I was a chronic defender of the West solely on the strength of my post on this thread?

You are effectively admitting what I noted earlier-it smacks of stupidity to think that you can understand all posts within a thread as merely referring to only that particular thread.

I am still asking you:How many times have you petitioned Seun to ban me? Mr Petitioner.

4 Play, this is unlike you today. You used to take these hits with a smile grin. But now, you sound really cold. Wetin happen now? Okay, today is Friday. I hope your "babe" did not spoil your plans with her for the evening. Ol' by relax. Say hi to "Mary Jane", walai she'll keep you real happy.

@issue, I complained twice to Seun. Same reason for both of them.
Re: South African Ship Union Stops Chinese Arms Shipment To Zimbabwe by Florency(m): 9:01pm On Apr 18, 2008
Mohommed did not make you to talk like this. Go to Mosque dog
Re: South African Ship Union Stops Chinese Arms Shipment To Zimbabwe by 4Play(m): 9:17pm On Apr 18, 2008
@Richy

You had to hit me where it hurts. cry I am "clean" these days. . . . .a right-winger doesn't do such. grin
Re: South African Ship Union Stops Chinese Arms Shipment To Zimbabwe by bawomolo(m): 3:11am On Apr 19, 2008
so richyblack, what do u think about your man mugabe
Re: South African Ship Union Stops Chinese Arms Shipment To Zimbabwe by RichyBlacK(m): 9:07am On Apr 19, 2008
4 Play:

@Richy

You had to hit me where it hurts. cry I am "clean" these days. . . . .a right-winger doesn't do such. grin

Okay, I'll be more sensitive next time grin grin
Re: South African Ship Union Stops Chinese Arms Shipment To Zimbabwe by RichyBlacK(m): 9:08am On Apr 19, 2008
bawomolo:

so richyblack, what do u think about your man mugabe

Why do you think Mugabe is my man?
Re: South African Ship Union Stops Chinese Arms Shipment To Zimbabwe by Nobody: 7:42pm On Apr 21, 2008
4 Play:

dis yahoo boy no get respect at all!
Re: South African Ship Union Stops Chinese Arms Shipment To Zimbabwe by bawomolo(m): 1:46pm On Apr 22, 2008
Why do you think Mugabe is my man?

i thought u believe the west was targetting him?
Re: South African Ship Union Stops Chinese Arms Shipment To Zimbabwe by RichyBlacK(m): 1:56pm On Apr 22, 2008
bawomolo:

See this Chicago man don come o grin

So, whomsoever that the West targets, automatically becomes RichyBlack's man. Abi? LORL!
Re: South African Ship Union Stops Chinese Arms Shipment To Zimbabwe by 4Play(m): 2:08pm On Apr 22, 2008
bawomolo:

Leave am,make im dey deny his man.Mugabe is reaching the point where he is indefensible and all the people I know who used to defend him have started denying that they ever supported him.

A Ugandan once noted that Africans outside of Uganda used to defend Idi Amin.Idi Amin,like Mugabe,used to deploy anti-imperialist rhetoric to bamboozle Africans.
Re: South African Ship Union Stops Chinese Arms Shipment To Zimbabwe by Nobody: 5:53pm On Apr 22, 2008
China: Ship carrying weapons to Zimbabwe may head home.

HARARE, Zimbabwe - A shipment of weapons to Zimbabwe may be returned to China, the Chinese Foreign Ministry said Tuesday, after the troubled southern African nation's neighbors prevented the cargo from being unloaded.

The Chinese freighter arrived in South Africa last week, and human rights groups and others said they feared the mortar grenades and bullets onboard could be used by President Robert Mugabe's regime to clamp down on its opposition.

Zimbabwean church leaders issued a joint statement Tuesday calling for international intervention, saying people were being tortured, abducted and some murdered in a campaign against opposition supporters.

A South African group persuaded a judge to bar the weapons from transiting through the country to landlocked Zimbabwe, and the An Yue Jiang then sailed away from South Africa. Private groups and government officials in Mozambique, Angola and Namibia also objected to the weapons, though Namibia said the ship could refuel there if necessary.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080422/ap_on_re_af/zimbabwe

Mugabe is slowly going to be roasted.
Re: South African Ship Union Stops Chinese Arms Shipment To Zimbabwe by Nobody: 4:31am On Apr 23, 2008
Yeye man. Simple election he can't conduct well, but he wants to kill people. Mad man Mugabe!!!!!!
Re: South African Ship Union Stops Chinese Arms Shipment To Zimbabwe by jgirl3: 4:47am On Apr 23, 2008
Mugabe has gone crazy - we all know this. That man knows what he's doing. No one is supporting him anymore. Now he's screwed. Let's see how he wants to keep taking innocent lives. He sha wants to die in power. Useless man!!!!!!!

(1) (Reply)

Abdulmutallab: Yemen Places Embargo On Visa For Nigerian Students / Nigeria To Acquire Full Body Scanners For All International Airports. / Countries That Have No Business Being Seperate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.