Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,282 members, 7,836,256 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:48 AM

Mastercard To Power Nigerian Identity Card Program - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Mastercard To Power Nigerian Identity Card Program (7966 Views)

Nigerians Abroad: Do you deny your Nigerian Identity? / Buhari Registers For National Identity Card (photo) / President Jonathan's National Identity Card (For Age Clarification Rumour) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mastercard To Power Nigerian Identity Card Program by ddeola: 4:27pm On May 09, 2013
Won ma pa lori !
Re: Mastercard To Power Nigerian Identity Card Program by Nobody: 4:33pm On May 09, 2013
taharqa: No wonda the new Head of NIMC immediately he came in, insisted on sacking about 4000 'dead woods' in his organisatn and employing a few thousand young and savvy people. Even when the old workers tried blackmailing him by dragging b4 d NA and other places, he insisted on d Rightness of his actions. He insistd cos he had a vision, a BIG one apparently; it sure isn't too difficult to spot someone who knows where he is going..... This is simply one of the MOST PROFOUND developments in the history of this nation if seen to its conclusion. The many benefits is all encompassing; affecting EVERY single part of national, institutional and personal life. Simply BRILLIANT!!
fresh air
Re: Mastercard To Power Nigerian Identity Card Program by Nobody: 4:36pm On May 09, 2013
The Project will have Access Bank Plc as the pilot issuer bank for the cards and Unified Payment Services Limited (Unified Payments) as the payment processor. Other issuing banks will include United Bank for Africa, Union Bank, Zenith, Skye Bank, Unity Bank, Stanbic, and First Bank.

What about other banks?
Re: Mastercard To Power Nigerian Identity Card Program by Nobody: 4:47pm On May 09, 2013
otokx: they may also wish to add some other vital data.

Like what, sir, your Penile length or the size of your titt*ies? Or, didnt you see that they already will get all your Biometric Data on file?
Re: Mastercard To Power Nigerian Identity Card Program by Nobody: 4:50pm On May 09, 2013
"The new National Identity Smart Card will incorporate the unique National Identification Numbers (NIN) of duly registered persons in the country. The enrollment process involves the recording of an individual’s demographic data and biometric data (capture of 10 fingerprints, facial picture and digital signature) that are used to authenticate the cardholder and eliminate fraud and embezzlement. The resultant National Identity Database will provide the platform for several other value propositions of the NIMC including identity authentication and verification."

So, the Nigerian Govt is foolishly willing to not only capture the Biometric Data of her citizens, but also hand over such to foreigners?

SMH
Re: Mastercard To Power Nigerian Identity Card Program by MWNITB: 4:57pm On May 09, 2013
This scheme is part of the grand agenda for the manifestion of new world order, and revelation of the antichrist for total dominion and control of the world. Soon no one will be able to buy not sell without this ID card. Its part of agenda for the mark of the beast. He who has an ear let him hear.
Re: Mastercard To Power Nigerian Identity Card Program by PrinceNN(m): 4:59pm On May 09, 2013
saw this in the news earlier today
Re: Mastercard To Power Nigerian Identity Card Program by Nobody: 5:05pm On May 09, 2013
M.W.N.I.T.B:
This scheme is part of the grand agenda for the manifestion of new world order, and revelation of the antichrist for total dominion and control of the world. Soon no one will be able to buy not sell without this ID card. Its part of agenda for the mark of the beast. He who has an ear let him hear.

Re: Mastercard To Power Nigerian Identity Card Program by nijanigga: 5:07pm On May 09, 2013
webdezzi: we need a database system, so each person should be uniquely identifiable with all past criminal records.
i hope this serves the purpose
So far you're the only person raising cogent issue. Nigeria don't have unique identifier like social security. First pitfall, birth records can be faked,like obj is claiming to be 76 years old;what a joke,and corruption is order of the day you can claim to be above 16 even when you're 10 years,atleast some parents will push thier kids or wards to do that.Nobody,will tell mastercard Nigeria is a hard place to do business,before they park up.If mastercard has watched Doyin Okupke's inerview on aljazeera they would have think twice and know that Nigeria means CORRUPTION.
All the gullibles as well as fraudsters are jubilating as if it's free.
Re: Mastercard To Power Nigerian Identity Card Program by nijanigga: 5:11pm On May 09, 2013
M.W.N.I.T.B:
Can you see where religious bigotry is leading some Nigerians to? To this dimwit this scheme is antichrist but all the corrupt politicians,kidnappers, oil bunkerers,looters and co are Christ-like. What a bigot.There are lots of chaffs in Nigeria.
Re: Mastercard To Power Nigerian Identity Card Program by Bontee: 5:17pm On May 09, 2013
webdezzi: we need a database system, so each person should be uniquely identifiable with all past criminal records.
i hope this serves the purpose

That is what the NIN stated in this thread is for, unique identification and national database. The security forces like the police will take care of criminal databases and they can be linked or referenced if need be.
Re: Mastercard To Power Nigerian Identity Card Program by staaari: 5:28pm On May 09, 2013
Good Idea but wrong procedure.

1 where is data protection for nigerians

2.why would you allow foreign agency access to ur people info

These guys lack any understanding about identity management and need to know.
Re: Mastercard To Power Nigerian Identity Card Program by bishop4life(m): 5:42pm On May 09, 2013
Nice initiative. But damn, did they say the access bank is spearheading d stuff? Hmmm i dont trust anytin dat has to do wit intercontinental bank.they re rouges
Re: Mastercard To Power Nigerian Identity Card Program by Bontee: 5:50pm On May 09, 2013
staaari: Good Idea but wrong procedure.

1 where is data protection for nigerians

2.why would you allow foreign agency access to ur people info

These guys lack any understanding about identity management and need to know.

Do we have a local alternative to the service master card is providing?
Re: Mastercard To Power Nigerian Identity Card Program by cacadu: 6:29pm On May 09, 2013
I can only say hu hu ru when the project commence.Our corrupt Government always find ways to distract our attention so that we'll loose focuse on their evil deeds.Let's ask ourselfs this simple question,how many projects has been complted by FG under GEJ administration?
Re: Mastercard To Power Nigerian Identity Card Program by Nobody: 6:47pm On May 09, 2013
Bontee:

Do we have a local alternative to the service master card is providing?

Yes!

Keep this program for ONLY Govt workers or people entrusted with given public service guided by Federal Law i.e Civil Servants , Bankers, City Workers, Healthcare Professionals, Lawyers etc those are the only people that should have their Biometric Data on File.

For the "Ordinary" civilians, what the Govt should do is starting from, say, December of this year anyone born within the borders of Nigeria should have their birth info forwarded to a state Vital statistics office (by a Doctor/Midwife) and a Certification of Birth would be issued along with the identifying info of the mother and the child(ren). A Social Security Number will be issued to the baby at birth, and to the mother if she doesnt have one. The Govt should encourage states to open up vital statistics office that can capture these info--- and is linked to a central base that can be accessed by the Feds--- within a certain deadline, any state that does not comply should have its funds withheld until it complies. Any state that does not comply will have the office opened on its behalf by the Govt. Nigerians above the age of 21 will be encouraged to register before a certain deadline to be issued a Social Security Number. Anyone that doesnt comply before the deadline will have to face stringent hurdles before they can be issued a number--- illiteracy or living in the interiors will not be an excuse; if you do not have that number you cannot prove citizenship, will not be able to access any of the benefits of living in Nigeria as her citizen (e.g Free/subsidized Healthcare) and you might as well move to Congo or Guyana or something.

I could go on and on and on but my bottom-line position is that putting the biometric info of citizens that have not committed a crime in the hands of the center will lead to nothing but a tyrannical Federal Govt. Let me give you an example: EVEN IF 200 SEPT'11's WAS TO HAPPEN IN THE UNITED STATES, THE CITIZENS WILL NEVER ALLOW THE FEDERAL GOVT ACCESS THEIR BIOMETRIC INFO JUST CAUSE.

Its up to yall to decide what "Just Cause" is.
Re: Mastercard To Power Nigerian Identity Card Program by Bontee: 7:24pm On May 09, 2013
@kingoflag

Thanks for your write up and i don't think we are too far apart from the points we are both trying to make. I do support the issues you raised above but you have skipped the process or implementation aspect of it. Concerning bio-metric data, the centre already has it through the new e-passport process. The same united states you are referring to do not have their electoral body or telecommunication companies taking the biometric data of the citizens ( not so sure though ).

The system above can always be manipulated and it is this manipulation that presents the need to use biometric data for unique identification. People had multiple voters registration cards, multiple national ID because there were no security features or central database to manage the exercise properly. Even common jamb takes biometric data of Nigerian students so i don't really see the fuse about this whole thing.

Nothing stops me from having multiple Identity with the system you created above or how will you ensure the uniqueness of your proposal. Master card is only a provider of the technology and i don't think they will be having any access to our biometric data.

A system is only efficient to the extent the managers want it to be efficient and without biometric data capture, we might just mess up the whole thing like INEC did with the voters registration.
Re: Mastercard To Power Nigerian Identity Card Program by MARKREN: 7:33pm On May 09, 2013
While I commend this project I have a few burning questions.

What happened to all the information captured in the former exercise?
What happens to the old ID cards issued?
Would we need to go through the whole process again?
Who manages the Hugh Database for this exercise?
How much will it cost?
What happened to the huge sums spent in the past?
What mistakes were made in the former exercise and how do we prevent this from becoming another "White Elephant"?
How will this obviously more sophisticated system work in our environment where we do not have power, poor literacy & enlightenment, abysmal record keeping culture and corruption among “Nigerians” (yes I mean all of us) who would try to manipulate the system since the data for this could be used as a defacto "census' figure with all the demographic information that can be plotted from it .
How will this be used as a spring-board to solve the “Population Equation” we have had unresolved as a country since 1960?
How is this process supposed to work in the mainly rural areas of this country where majority of the "real" population who are “poor” of this country reside
What process has been put in place to prevent Identity Theft especially with the intention to link it to personal banks accounts?

Why are our Universities and indigenous firms not partnering with these foreign contractors to enable us learn from them and develop a system that will be more suitable & acceptable to Nigeria. How do we hope to develop as a country our Science & Technology base when we always run to foreign contractors who know little or nothing about our environment and end up giving us what we term “egg head” solutions that are impracticable here. In most countries that value their internal security & technological development, these huge projects are handled by a combination of both Foreign and local concerns(Universities, Research Institutes & Competent local firms) as a means of encouraging technology transfer (usually via reverse engineering) & increased economic activity and conservation of foreign exchange

I can go on and on. I have heard too many laudable projects on paper since 1999 that have translated little or nothing in the lives of ordinary Nigerians. All we hear is the announcement of the award of the project for $X billion or NY Trillion, media hypes, jingles etc as if the project has been completed & nothing else.
Where do I start is it NIPP that has been shifted for 2007 to 2010 now 2015 (I bet you by 2015 it will shift again) or Benin-Ore road or East West road in the Niger delta or the 2nd Onitsha Bride or the failed National ID card projects of the past with $x the Billions sunk in them respectively.

We Nigerians need to start to read more, remember more and ask more enlightened questions before we rush to praise or critisie.................................................................................................................

Until then our rulers know how to continue “arrange and divide” us
Re: Mastercard To Power Nigerian Identity Card Program by jmslimx(m): 7:53pm On May 09, 2013
Good idea but totally wrongly incorporating payment into it.. what happen to us having a uniq Number .. imagine people hacking into this database and your funds get compromised its totally a good idea used wrongly , all countries i have gone around the world and stayed have there own uniq ID but not as a payment system .. technically it is poor to use same database for payment and ID systems .. noting is secured but how hard you make it for an intruder to get into it.

It could have being a base for all ID's and a platform to connect major institutions like TAX , DL , PHCN and others - Just like the American Social Security System , UAE EmirateID . i wound why this whole MasterCard National ID wasn't debated? the Problem with Nigerian Government is the feel the banks grow the society while forgetting the primary tool which most top countries use , which are agriculture , Research , Technology , Human empowerment .. this is not the way forward.

2 Likes

Re: Mastercard To Power Nigerian Identity Card Program by Nobody: 9:43pm On May 09, 2013
Bontee: @kingoflag

Thanks for your write up and i don't think we are too far apart from the points we are both trying to make. I do support the issues you raised above but you have skipped the process or implementation aspect of it. Concerning bio-metric data, the centre already has it through the new e-passport process. The same united states you are referring to do not have their electoral body or telecommunication companies taking the biometric data of the citizens ( not so sure though ).

The system above can always be manipulated and it is this manipulation that presents the need to use biometric data for unique identification. People had multiple voters registration cards, multiple national ID because there were no security features or central database to manage the exercise properly. Even common jamb takes biometric data of Nigerian students so i don't really see the fuse about this whole thing.

Nothing stops me from having multiple Identity with the system you created above or how will you ensure the uniqueness of your proposal. Master card is only a provider of the technology and i don't think they will be having any access to our biometric data.

A system is only efficient to the extent the managers want it to be efficient and without biometric data capture, we might just mess up the whole thing like INEC did with the voters registration.

I totally agree with you, and am myself worried about how fraud and misuse of the system could be made when we know of the corrupt nature of present day Nigeria. But, I am even more worried about the Central Govt's ability to be able to track, setup, and harass its citizens when so much power is concentrated in its hands. Nigeria should only give Unique numbers and then strengthen the power of her investigative agencies. Just Yesterday, I was gonna send some money to my girlfriend through Western Union, the agent asked for my ID (which had never happened before), I gave it to her, then she proceeded to scan it and take my picture! F*UK THAT! I took my ID back and insisted she delete my info from their database while I looked. She refused and claimed she couldnt; I called the Police and made a scene. When the Police came they made her delete every info she had put in their Computer since I hadnt completed the transaction.

Never put too much of your personal info in the virtual world, you will be subject to unnecessary control when the time is ripe. Its not paranoia, its knowing your right.
Re: Mastercard To Power Nigerian Identity Card Program by Bontee: 10:16pm On May 09, 2013
kingoflag:

I totally agree with you, and am myself worried about how fraud and misuse of the system could be made when we know of the corrupt nature of present day Nigeria. But, I am even more worried about the Central Govt's ability to be able to track, setup, and harass its citizens when so much power is concentrated in its hands. Nigeria should only give Unique numbers and then strengthen the power of her investigative agencies. Just Yesterday, I was gonna send some money to my girlfriend through Western Union, the agent asked for my ID (which had never happened before), I gave it to her, then she proceeded to scan it and take my picture! F*UK THAT! I took my ID back and insisted she delete my info from their database while I looked. She refused and claimed she couldnt; I called the Police and made a scene. When the Police came they made her delete every info she had put in their Computer since I hadnt completed the transaction.

Never put too much of your personal info in the virtual world, you will be subject to unnecessary control when the time is ripe. Its not paranoia, its knowing your right.

I feel you but there is nothing we can do really about it except we will be schemed out of these services. Government monitors their citizens even without collecting biometric data. China, Iran, India, USA, UK, North Korea comes to mind readily and Nigeria will surely head there someday. Both western union and moneygram requires your national ID, passport or drivers license i think to send money. That was the first time for you under the new system so they will do all that and do we have option since sending money is damn important to us.

I understand you and that was why i felt bad when i was giving my data out in order to use a registered simcard in Nigeria then. i don't think we had any option, same way INEC is collecting peoples data and JAMB is collecting biometric data of students in Nigeria. You can't go to uk without given them your biometric info so for me this is the future and as you said we should be worried about fraud and misuse of the system. Just like the previous poster @jmslimx above you mentioned not linking it with a payment service but there is nothing we can do really than voice it out here. Except we reach-out to them or protest, they will always do what they want to do.

The unique ID kinked to other services is what we need but we also need to find a foundation to make it unique, facial recognition etc or biometric data. Biometric data collection is the new fad in Nigeria now hence why it is lumped with the NIN process and will you blame master card when this is more of a business opportunity for them. They are coming as the superior partner and i trust our incompetent civil servants to do according to their bidding without thinking properly about it. @mark-ren talked about working with local partners and knowledge transfer but i believe we can never do those things when there is money to always throw about to get what we always want. We are not ready to learn or develop as long as crude oil money is flowing in to do our bidding.
Re: Mastercard To Power Nigerian Identity Card Program by Kizyte(m): 10:44pm On May 09, 2013
I hope hackers won't find it easy to hack and decode vital security informations contained in the card cos am afraid of people like Adrian Lamo and group.

Re: Mastercard To Power Nigerian Identity Card Program by sigmundfreud(m): 10:58pm On May 09, 2013
...best idea from this administration so far!
Re: Mastercard To Power Nigerian Identity Card Program by Obiagu1(m): 11:07pm On May 09, 2013
Wow, what do these people take us for?

A credit card serving as a national ID card; where in this world do we have such?
So if I don't want a credit card, I can't get a national ID card?

Our policy makers should stop disgracing us.
MasterCard will be at their headquarters in the US laughing at us.
Re: Mastercard To Power Nigerian Identity Card Program by Dibiachukwu: 12:31am On May 10, 2013
Kizyte: I hope hackers won't find it easy to hack and decode vital security informations contained in the card cos am afraid of people like Adrian Lamo and group.
That pig is watching you. And with this mastercard thingy, nobody that signs up to this would have any privacy. US company having access to my sensitive details. That is a red flag for me. I pity the fools who would sign up for this. National identity schemes are very sensitive and the last thing you want is an inclusion of a foreign participant. I wonder what is wrong with Nigerians.
Re: Mastercard To Power Nigerian Identity Card Program by Dibiachukwu: 12:34am On May 10, 2013
Obiagu1: Wow, what do these people take us for?

A credit card serving as a national ID card; where in this world do we have such?
So if I don't want a credit card, I can't get a national ID card?

Our policy makers should stop disgracing us.
MasterCard will be at their headquarters in the US laughing at us.
Imagine to what extent this would monopolize Nigeria's personal credit space. Bad move.
Re: Mastercard To Power Nigerian Identity Card Program by xwyze: 8:13am On May 10, 2013
In as much this move for a National Identity Card is key, incorporating a Payment Card is a grey area, then now mastercard.
We have just indirectly killed our own local payment card (verve) and stabbed the most innovative swicthing company in Nigeria (interswitch).

DID U NOTICE GTBANK WAS NOT INCLUDED?
WHY IS ACCESS BANK PILOT ISSUER? (AIG AND CONFLICT OF INTEREST)

ALL THE BANKS MENTIONED ARE NOT MAJOR ISSUERS OF MASTERCARD.

LETS ENCOURAGE OUR LOCAL BUSINESSES
Re: Mastercard To Power Nigerian Identity Card Program by Nobody: 8:31am On May 10, 2013
Bontee:

Government monitors their citizens even without collecting biometric data. China, Iran, India, USA, UK, North Korea comes to mind readily and Nigeria will surely head there someday. Both western union and moneygram requires your national ID, passport or drivers license i think to send money. That was the first time for you under the new system so they will do all that and do we have option since sending money is damn important to us.

Nope!

Yes, tyrannical govts will "monitor" their citizens, but truly democratic govts like the United States and the UK dont! Out here there are states that require biometric data like fingerprints before they issue ids to avoid identity theft but those states are few and far between. Western Union does ask for id occasionally to prevent money laundering and fraud --- but they are only required to ask if youve been sending money frequently and if youre sending it to places that are known to be crime/drug/fraud/terrorism havens--- that Western Union agent I referenced above was just trying to abuse the rules and thats why I called her out on it. Bottomline, it all boils down to knowing your rights.

This proposal by the Nigerian govt is a very foolish idea. There are very many ways to identify your citizens and it all requires putting money in the right places and setting up the right systems. In typical Nigerian fashion, the govt is trying to cut corners and look for the short cut way to achieve its aim of identification.
Re: Mastercard To Power Nigerian Identity Card Program by Chylo(m): 8:47am On May 10, 2013
Sign of end time... grin
Re: Mastercard To Power Nigerian Identity Card Program by taharqa: 10:12am On May 10, 2013
xwyze: In as much this move for a National Identity Card is key, incorporating a Payment Card is a grey area, then now mastercard.
We have just indirectly killed our own local payment card (verve) and stabbed the most innovative swicthing company in Nigeria (interswitch).

DID U NOTICE GTBANK WAS NOT INCLUDED?
WHY IS ACCESS BANK PILOT ISSUER? (AIG AND CONFLICT OF INTEREST)

ALL THE BANKS MENTIONED ARE NOT MAJOR ISSUERS OF MASTERCARD.

LETS ENCOURAGE OUR LOCAL BUSINESSES
Good point...this is my only concern here ie what would the effect of d involvement of MasterCard in this project on other Payment Cops in Nigeria, particularly local ones?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerians Transferred Their Aggressions To Adamu Garba "Crowwe App" On Playstore / APC Campaign: We Have Not Decided On Specific Date For Flagoff - Keyamo / Nigeria Will Bounce Back In A Couple Of Months – Shettima

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.