Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,055 members, 7,818,163 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 09:14 AM

30 Incredible Facts You Never Knew About Babies. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 30 Incredible Facts You Never Knew About Babies. (2070 Views)

Meet Woman Who Had 7 Babies In 5 Years / 20 Amazing Facts About Babies That You May Not Know. / All About Babies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

30 Incredible Facts You Never Knew About Babies. by remecy(f): 12:11pm On May 09, 2013
From the very moment your baby arrives, she is capable of so much, we never know about. Here are a few.
1. A baby can recognize the smell and voice of its mother at birth.
2. A babies 1st social smile appears between 4 and 6 wks after birth.
3. Most newborns will lose all the hair they are born with in the 1st three or four months of life.
4. Babies are sensitive to temperature, When they are cool, they move around more and when warm they will lie as if sunbathing, with arms and legs flung out to the side. You can use these signs to work out if your baby is too hot or too cold.
5. Babies are born with natural swimming abilities and can hold their breath. This ability quickly disappears.
6. The brain of a newborn accounts for 10% of its total body weight.
7. Babies sense of smell is much stronger than adults and they use it to get to know you in the early weeks.
8. Babies all over the world have been adorned with necklaces, anklets and amulets to ward off the evil eye. Some ornamental infant wear include odd number,(which were thought to have protective powers)……(Well, I have my reservations about this.
9. Baby boys are slightly heavier than baby girls.
10. Your baby can monitor your tone of voice and will react to it. For example, if you smile at him while talking in a frightened voice, or did the reverse ‘ spoke in a happy voice while looking scared, you would probably find that he becomes agitated
11. Babies typically prefer a female voice over a male voice, which explain why people raise the pitch of their voice when talking to babies, otherwise known as motheres.
12. Newborns are more likely to turn their head to the right than to the left.
13. Babies are not born with psychic tearing, or tears that indicates emotional distress, though they are born with basal tearing (enough to keep the eyes moist and healthy) and reflex tearing. Between 2 and 4 mths of age, a baby will start crying with tears when it gets upset.
14. Eyesight is the least developed of all the newborn senses.
15. Up till 7mths, a baby can breathe and swallow at the same time.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 30 Incredible Facts You Never Knew About Babies. by remecy(f): 12:16pm On May 09, 2013
I had to split into 2 parts cos i dont like lengthy comments, though

16. Psychologists in America found that even newborn babies have an elementary grasp of maths and physics. They can tell the difference between one, two, three and more objects, and can also add up and take away. He may not have an abstract concept of numbers, but your baby knows how many apples should remain if, for example, one is taken away, and he will express surprise if it is wrong.
17. At birth, babies have no kneecaps, kneecaps do not develop completely till after 6mths.
18. A baby is born in the world every 3 seconds.
19. Human babies are the only primates who smile at their parents.
20. The inner ear is the only sense organ that is fully developed before birth. It reaches its adult size by the middle of pregnancy.
21. A baby has around 10,000 taste buds, far more than adults. Eventually these extra taste buds disappears.
22. Adults have 206 bones. Babies are born with 300 bones. Their bones fuse as they grow.
23. A newborn urinates about every 20 minutes and then roughly every hour at 6 mths.
24. A baby cannot taste salt until it is 4mths old.
25. A baby’s eyes are 75% of their adult size.
26. Children don’t remember much before the age of 3.
27. The gasp of a newborn baby is so strong that its whole body can hang midair, with its bent finger supporting its weight.
28. Babies are born with very sophisticated hearing and can work out where a sound is coming from just 10 minutes after being born
29. Four or five out of every 100 newborn babies, there is a discharge of milk from its nipple. This is due to unusually high level of the mothers hormones that leak across the placenta during pregnancy.
30. Touch is one of your baby’s most advanced senses at birth and even premature babies born as early as 25 weeks are aware of being touched. Your baby’s sense of touch develops from head to toe, so her mouth is the first region to become sensitive, which is why young babies put everything in their mouths.
Re: 30 Incredible Facts You Never Knew About Babies. by smartmom(f): 8:54pm On May 09, 2013
Awesome info. Knew some but others were new.
Re: 30 Incredible Facts You Never Knew About Babies. by Nobody: 5:08am On May 10, 2013
That's gr8 op.wonderful info. But I slightly disagree with no 3.not all black babies lose their hair like d whites or their likes.maybe I'm wrong sha but I've not witnessed it in my house.don't no about others
Re: 30 Incredible Facts You Never Knew About Babies. by ezemoses(m): 12:29pm On May 10, 2013
what a great read

(1) (Reply)

Safe And Efficient Automatic Changeover For Your Family. / Boy Lands In Hot Soup At Sugar Mummy’s House In Lagos / Moment Old Chinese Parents Reunited With Son After Missing For 38years(Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.