Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,446 members, 7,823,039 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:15 PM

Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? (3246 Views)

My Fellow Atheists...it's High Time We Went Political To Rebuild This Nation. / Atheists Have A Religion / Do Atheists Have Hope? What Is Their Purpose In Life? What Keeps Atheists Alive? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by Ozegbe(m): 11:00pm On May 09, 2013
Firstly am a complete atheist (if there is anything like that). Why i was relaxing this evening reading some articles i got online, this thought came to my mind and i kept wondering and pondering on it. here is it

Scientist have made us to understand that the difference between the DNA of man and apes is just 1%. Take a good look at what humans (homo sapiens) have accomplished so far. we have built great houses, cars, aeroplanes and space rockets, we have travel far and wide outer space, recreate a full human through cloning, and so many things scientist and great men of old have achieved. what has the apes done so far? nothing. just a single difference of 1% in our genetic make up and we are miles ahead of them. In-fact it has even be proven that humans use only 10% of their brain in theirs entire life time.

here is where am heading to: if there exist a being who has a genetic make up that is 50% more advance than ours or even 100%, can you imagine what that being might be capable of? he may probably not give a damn about us, because as far as he is concern our IQ is too low to get in our affairs. could such a being (if there is) not be capable of creating the universe? if scientist with 1% gene different from apes can create a sample of the sun, what do you think a being who has a DNA 100% different from apes would do?

Maybe am getting it all mixed up, but if you get the point am trying to make, i will like to hear you opinions.

2 Likes

Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by Nobody: 11:07pm On May 09, 2013
Evening Oze,

Worry not, I am the one who liked your post...I won't comment on the OP cause I am a Christian but I certainly will be here for the ride...

**Grabs extra large pop-corn and a front row seat**
Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by SECURITYWOMAN(f): 11:20pm On May 09, 2013
I wish I got your point.
Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by ohaleoghene(f): 12:47am On May 10, 2013
Do you now agree that there is God ? Worryless, because you are always welcome to his kingdom , a place where love and true knowledge exist
Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by tobechi74: 12:55am On May 10, 2013
gradually, u are using ur head

1 Like

Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by wiegraf: 1:02am On May 10, 2013
@op, yes. See clock makers, deist gods, etc.

They are all unlikely (unless someone shows up with some evidence). Even if they could conceivably (though again, not likely) be responsible for this particular universe or just earth/homo sapiens, etc, they are almost certainly not first cause. Not unless you can show that a complex/super-intelligent god from nowhere makes more sense than simple, basic energy from nowhere.

On other notes, what you're proposing is a different type of consciousness. Now, can you conceive another sort of consciousness? How will it work? Not saying it's impossible, but it's not as straight forward as assuming that a higher intelligence would inevitably lead to a different sort of consciousness to ours.

And we, being intelligent, have been extending our empathy/kindness to other species. We go out of our way to help them, we don't even let people kill lab rats carelessly in some countries, we give pets certain rights (legally even), etc.

We also have projects lobbying to give the same rights we have to other species that seem to be on the verge of self-awareness, sentience etc. Like the chimps you mention, elephants, etc. These species themselves have been shown to empathize with other species. Eg, elephants have been known to save members of other species even when there's no gain for them involved, chimps accept humans into their communities (even when they think of themselves as having the upper hand, in a manner of speak), etc.

Point here being any sort of intelligence is likely to have empathy so long as it has emotions. Emotions are a basic requirement to consciousness, they are responsible for ambition, so a sentient being is likely to posses emotions. The trend we ourselves observe is that the more we advance, the kinder we get (just look at history), so a more intelligent species is likely to more emphatic/kinder than cruel. Note, likely.
Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by Nobody: 6:36am On May 10, 2013
I totally agree with your reasoning.....

A being that is only 10% wiser than humans would be so advanced........

He wouldnt bother with us in our foolishness......

He wouldnt care if we worshipped him like how we dont care if monkeys worshipped us.

He would bealways trying to create more and more things as long as he is alive not rest in idleness like the religious God who only works in heaven to give TB Joshua predictions about football matches and gives America victory in bombing muslims

6 Likes

Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by kambo(m): 6:40am On May 10, 2013
thank you for the question because u can twist either way.
A being with only 1 percent chromosomal difference from an ape
invented all the stuff we see.
And this says wat? theoretically, it cud be argued that such acheivements
are impossible with just 1% diff btween man and ape.
it cud be argued that the permutation during evolution that created the
slight change in the dna structure, cudnt have occured by chance.
Because randomness cannot create precise working highly efficient systems (humans)
no matter the number of times the properties[dna constituents] are juggled and then willfully select
the most/or more efficient combination(from a universe of possibly ineffective dna combinations). that's givng too much credit to chance -- which is wat atheists
are left with ,if they chose to doubt in an Intelligent creator.

1 Like

Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by Nobody: 7:00am On May 10, 2013
tobechi74: gradually, u are using ur head

Morning Tobe,

You are so on point...at least one is attempting to use his or her head as against following the norm...
Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by Nobody: 7:03am On May 10, 2013
kambo: thank you for the question because u can twist either way.
Because randomness cannot create precise working highly efficient systems (humans)
no matter the number of times the properties[dna constituents] are juggled and then willfully select
the most/or more efficient combination(from a universe of possibly ineffective dna combinations). that's givng too much credit to chance -- which is wat atheists

Morning Kambo,

The above is quite an interesting thought and it really makes a whole lot of sense...
Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by Nobody: 7:04am On May 10, 2013
kambo: thank you for the question because u can twist either way.

A chromosome separates you and a re.tard....that is a fact....simple genetics will tell you that

So your point is moot

=====================
Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by Areaboy2(m): 7:49am On May 10, 2013
I'll just add one thing to the replies i have read so far.

Lets start by simple maths.

What is 1% of 100? = 1 right? (not that big a number)
what is 1% of 10000 = 100 (starting to see some difference)
1% of 1,000,000,000 = 10,000,000 (that's million) do you see where i'm going with this now?

The human genome contains approximately 3,000,000,000 (billion) pairs of ATCG nucleotides.
So when they say we are 1% different from the great apes, we are looking at nearly 30,000,000 (million) different arrangements.

I don't know about you, but 30 million is a huge number.

The 1% here is relative and not absolute. Don't get it twisted. Below is a picture of the first printout of the entire human genome. Note how many volumes of book required to print it out

Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by kambo(m): 8:34am On May 10, 2013
^^^
wow, "30 000 000 different combinations" of the dna makes man distinguishable from primates.
assuming,i'm not a scientist, the combination of these 30 million atg's or cells or watever,
is fixed for all mankind. i.e it is universal dna trait peculiar to humans,
then the possibility of selecting this combination from the 30 million possible combination
would be very small.
And the selector you say is - randomness. nature working its random picks.
the possible combinations wold be a very large number. 30 000 000!.
factorial of 30 000 000.
even a powerful hand calculator will tell give an error message if you try to generate the factorial of 100.
a wrong selection wuld have created beings probably worse than the chimps
but the choice selection , suprisingly made a wise pick...
ridiculous.
randomness doesnt possess such intuition.
Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by Nobody: 8:47am On May 10, 2013
smiley
Ah, the Christians are so happy.. the thought of science 'validating' God keeps them on their toes...

Maybe, like the atheists, they yearn for something more than just 'faith' to believe in GOD.

Interesting.

@OP: Nice question, and AreaBoy may not have properly answered it.

@AreaBoy: you realize that the 1% difference of said being (and we're just being speculative here) would also be relative not absolute.... And going by your calculations, the difference could be quite huge...

If its genome is printed, it could as well fill a library.. smiley

1 Like

Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by Nobody: 8:51am On May 10, 2013
kambo: ^^^
wow, "30 000 000 different combinations" of the dna makes man distinguishable from primates.
assuming,i'm not a scientist, the combination of these 30 million atg's or cells or watever,
then the possibility of selecting this combination from the 30 million possible combination
would be very small.
factorial of 30 000 000.
even a powerful hand calculator will tell give an error message if you try to generate the factorial of 100.
ridiculous.

...one question kambo: Do you sign autographs? grin
Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by Nobody: 8:54am On May 10, 2013
musKeeto: smiley
Ah, the Christians are so happy.. the thought of science 'validating' God keeps them on their toes...

Maybe, like the atheists, they yearn for something more than just 'faith' to believe in GOD.

Morning Musky,

It doesn't take faith to believe in God, creator or whatever you choose to call him...it is only reasonable believe in him.
Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by Areaboy2(m): 8:54am On May 10, 2013
kambo: ^^^
would be very small.
factorial of 30 000 000.
ridiculous.

I can see why you dont understand. reading and comprehension is not your strong suit. 30, million combinations? WTF mate?? where did I say that? DO you even know what 30 million combinations is? its even more than a googol.

30 million of the 3billion we have will be arranged differently with our ape cousins. Do you get it now?

I see someone clapping for you.. HAHAHAH sheep leading sheep.

You know what, get a book, read about evolution and understand it completely. You have managed mixed up every single thing you've seen on this forum just to reach your favoured conclusion. Amazing how you guys do it undecided
Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by Nobody: 8:56am On May 10, 2013
Area_boy:

I see someone clapping for you.. HAHAHAH sheep leading sheep.

You know what, get a book, read about evolution and understand it completely. You have mixed up every single thing you've seen on this forum just to reach your favoured conclusion. Amazing how you guys do it undecided

Butthurt!!!
Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by Nobody: 8:58am On May 10, 2013
striktlymi:

Morning Musky,

It doesn't take faith to believe in God, creator or whatever you choose to call him...it is only reasonable believe in him.

Lol..

Heb. 11:6
It's impossible to please God without faith because the one who draws near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards people who try to find him.

1 Like

Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by Areaboy2(m): 9:00am On May 10, 2013
striktlymi:

Butthurt!!!

Have you ever noticed how I always ignore you?.. There's a reason for that. try and find out undecided

1 Like

Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by Nobody: 9:00am On May 10, 2013
musKeeto:

Lol..

Heb. 11:6
It's impossible to please God without faith because the one who draws near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards people who try to find him.

My neck is too stiff to shake Musky...take a stroll in the park and tell me that it requires faith to hold that someone or something brought about all those things...the park is even too far...take a trip to a specimen of the brain and come back to tell us that all that is just random.
Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by Nobody: 9:02am On May 10, 2013
Area_boy:

Have you ever noticed how I always ignore you?.. There's a reason for that. try and find out undecided

I can see how well you are ignoring me right now...
Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by Areaboy2(m): 9:05am On May 10, 2013
@Muskeeto.

My intention was never to answer his question. I said I'll add one more thing to what has been said above me.

From the picture i posted, 1% difference will be about one volume there.

One thing we all seem to be mixing up here is that we have 1% difference from apes doesn't mean we are smarter than them by only 1%

1 Like

Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by Nobody: 9:08am On May 10, 2013
Area_boy: @Muskeeto.

My intention was never to answer his question. I said I'll add one more thing to what has been said above me.

From the picture i posted, 1% difference will be about one volume there.

One thing we all seem to be mixing up here is that we have 1% difference from apes doesn't mean we are smarter than them by only 1%

Cool..

striktlymi:

My neck is too stiff to shake Musky...take a stroll in the park and tell me that it requires faith to hold that someone or something brought about all those things...the park is even too far...take a trip to a specimen of the brain and come back to tell us that all that is just random.

It takes faith to believe in GOD. I choose to differentiate CREATOR from GOD. GOD is a loaded term.
Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by Nobody: 9:10am On May 10, 2013
musKeeto:

Cool..

It takes faith to believe in GOD. I choose to differentiate CREATOR from GOD. GOD is a loaded term.

It's a free world man...you choose to differentiate the two but I also choose to take them as the same...
Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by Niflheim(m): 10:33am On May 10, 2013
@ozegbe,concerning the creation of the universe, did you know that humans can easily create land in water by simply dropping certain crystals in the water and the crystals start getting bigger and bigger?...................if I demonstrate this for you,does that make me an alien from an advanced civilization?
Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by Niflheim(m): 10:47am On May 10, 2013
Our planet is 70% liquid and has the shape of a ball,and yet when NASA Astronauts poured water out of a container in space,it also formed into the shape of a ball and was suspended in the air(man made minor planet?),so let us read more science and less jewish tales by moonlight(bible)!!!

4 Likes

Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by Nobody: 10:53am On May 10, 2013
BORING you gys are just talking maths undecided
Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by nikkyshyne(f): 11:03am On May 10, 2013
Logicboy03:
He wouldnt bother with us in our foolishness......

He wouldnt care if we worshipped him like how we dont care if monkeys worshipped us.
You do realise humans didn't create monkeys. We created other scientific gadgets and it is only expected they obey our control.

Even amongst ourselves, an employer will sure care if an employee 'worships' him. If you fail to abide by the rules of the employer, you are out.

Same goes with a 'being' who perhaps have a greater DNA than humans. We 'perhaps' might be the works of his hands and it is only expected we worship him.

The difference between the employer/humans and the 'being' with a greater DNA might be the free will the 'being' has given us. He watches at a slow pace and pounces when the time is right.

3 Likes

Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by Ozegbe(m): 11:15am On May 10, 2013
olire: BORING you gys are just talking maths undecided
the post wasn't met for everybody. I said fellow atheist
Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by Niflheim(m): 11:26am On May 10, 2013
@nikkyshyne, 1.Do monkeys worship god? 2.Do Kangaroos worship god? 3.Do antelopes worship god?..................................Neither shall I worship god!!!
Re: Fellow Atheists, Have You Ever Given This A Thought? by Ozegbe(m): 11:30am On May 10, 2013
Niflheim: @nikkyshyne, 1.Do monkeys worship god? 2.Do Kangaroos worship god? 3.Do antelopes worship god?..................................Neither shall I worship god!!!
how can you tell they don't?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

The Ministers And Their Pay / Bestsellers From Papa Oyedepo. / How Do We Find Out Where Pastor Chris Is Preaching When He Travels

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.