Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,476 members, 7,819,736 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:00 PM

Can Someone Who Has Dual-nationalitly Apply For A TWP And Avoid Doing NYSC? - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Can Someone Who Has Dual-nationalitly Apply For A TWP And Avoid Doing NYSC? (1188 Views)

Accountant Currently Doing NYSC In Rivers Needed / How To Apply For Job Doing NYSC / Diary Of A Yankee Babe Doing NYSC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Someone Who Has Dual-nationalitly Apply For A TWP And Avoid Doing NYSC? by yorubaamerican(m): 1:53am On May 10, 2013
I want to hire my cousin who was born and raised in the US to come and work for me here in Nigeria. He doesn't want to apply for a Nigerian passport, so I'm thinking about applying for a TWP (temporary work permit) for him.

I've been trying to reach the relevant agencies to see how to go about doing it all to no avail. I need help. Would it be easier for him to get Nigerian citizenship and come and work? If he does get citizenship would he have to do NYSC since he's slightly under 30? Can someone who has dual-nationalitly apply for a TWP and avoid doing NYSC? HELP!!
Re: Can Someone Who Has Dual-nationalitly Apply For A TWP And Avoid Doing NYSC? by tpia5: 4:03pm On May 10, 2013
takers plz, thank you!

is this uncharted territory?

maybe we know more about overseas immigration than nigeria's own.
Re: Can Someone Who Has Dual-nationalitly Apply For A TWP And Avoid Doing NYSC? by CrazyMan(m): 3:24am On May 12, 2013
yorubaamerican: I want to hire my cousin who was born and raised in the US to come and work for me here in Nigeria.
Sure you can do that.

yorubaamerican: He doesn't want to apply for a Nigerian passport,
Why should he apply?

His american passport and Nigerian surname should suffice.

yorubaamerican: so I'm thinking about applying for a TWP (temporary work permit) for him.
You must be kidding me...

An american citizen applying for work permit in Nigeria lol...do you know the number of illegal immigrants from neighbouring African countries that smuggle themselves into Nigeria?

How many of them bother about work permit?

How many of them even have passports?

My dear you don't need any work permit or visa...with his american passport, he's good to go.

yorubaamerican: I've been trying to reach the relevant agencies to see how to go about doing it all to no avail.
That won't be necessary.

yourbaamerican: I need help. Would it be easier for him to get Nigerian citizenship and come and work? If he does get citizenship would he have to do NYSC since he's slightly under 30? Can someone who has dual-nationalitly apply for a TWP and avoid doing NYSC? HELP!!
Isn't he suppose to be a dual citizen since his parents are Nigerians?

Why should you worry yourself about all that?

Just bring him into Nigeria to work for you.

NYSC becomes a criteria if you intend to work in government parasitals, cooperate organizations...etc.

If you run a private establishment, and you intend to hire him there, NYSC isn't necessary...you can just decide to hire him and no one would question you.
Re: Can Someone Who Has Dual-nationalitly Apply For A TWP And Avoid Doing NYSC? by yorubaamerican(m): 3:09pm On May 12, 2013
CrazyMan:
Sure you can do that.

Why should he apply?

His american passport and Nigerian surname should suffice.

You must be kidding me...

An american citizen applying for work permit in Nigeria lol...do you know the number of illegal immigrants from neighbouring African countries that smuggle themselves into Nigeria?

How many of them bother about work permit?

How many of them even have passports?

My dear you don't need any work permit or visa...with his american passport, he's good to go.

That won't be necessary.

Isn't he suppose to be a dual citizen since his parents are Nigerians?

Why should you worry yourself about all that?

Just bring him into Nigeria to work for you.

NYSC becomes a criteria if you intend to work in government parasitals, cooperate organizations...etc.

If you run a private establishment, and you intend to hire him there, NYSC isn't necessary...you can just decide to hire him and no one would question you.

Thanks for your help, Crazy!! Even if he, my kinfolk, who has never been to Nigeria, just wanted to come and visit me, he would still need an entry visa. I do understand what you mean about not worrying, but I want everything to be legit. Thanks again for your comment.
Re: Can Someone Who Has Dual-nationalitly Apply For A TWP And Avoid Doing NYSC? by CrazyMan(m): 6:15pm On May 12, 2013
yorubaamerican: Thanks for your help, Crazy!! Even if he, my kinfolk, who has never been to Nigeria, just wanted to come and visit me, he would still need an entry visa. I do understand what you mean about not worrying, but I want everything to be legit. Thanks again for your comment.
He's also a citizen of Nigeria...why would he need an entry visa to visit he's parents country?

Or aren't his parents Nigerians as well?
Re: Can Someone Who Has Dual-nationalitly Apply For A TWP And Avoid Doing NYSC? by yorubaamerican(m): 1:02pm On May 13, 2013
CrazyMan:
He's also a citizen of Nigeria...why would he need an entry visa to visit he's parents country?

Re: Can Someone Who Has Dual-nationalitly Apply For A TWP And Avoid Doing NYSC? by yorubaamerican(m): 1:04pm On May 13, 2013
CrazyMan:

He's NOT a citizen just because his father is Nigerian; he would have to get a passport to be considered a citizen. Even I had to get an entry visa from the Nigerian High Commission to come to Nigeria.

After being here for a month or so, I got a passport. That's how it works. The children of Nigerians CANNOT enter the country based on the fact that they have a Nigerian parentage.
Re: Can Someone Who Has Dual-nationalitly Apply For A TWP And Avoid Doing NYSC? by CrazyMan(m): 7:01pm On May 13, 2013
yorubaamerican:
He's NOT a citizen just because his father is Nigerian; he would have to get a passport to be considered a citizen. Even I had to get an entry visa from the Nigerian High Commission to come to Nigeria.

After being here for a month or so, I got a passport. That's how it works. The children of Nigerians CANNOT enter the country based on the fact that they have a Nigerian parentage.
Wao...I didn't have knowledge of this...forgive my ignorance.
Re: Can Someone Who Has Dual-nationalitly Apply For A TWP And Avoid Doing NYSC? by durobraham(f): 9:52pm On May 13, 2013
@poster

Ur cousin is a citizen&thats why he is entitled to a Nigerian passport. Passports don't confer citizenship under our law, birth&registration does..
Being a citizen therefore, he doesn't need a work permit.
He however needs a entry visa for now.

After he has been in d country for a while he should apply for his passport.

On d issue of d NYSC thingy, since d employer doesn't mind, I don't think it should be a problem. To be safe, u could appoint ur cousin as a director of ur limited liability company, the law covers employees not people setting up companies.
Or you could just have your cousin work for a while and when he is thirty apply for a certificate of exemption.
Hope this helps.
Re: Can Someone Who Has Dual-nationalitly Apply For A TWP And Avoid Doing NYSC? by yorubaamerican(m): 11:58am On May 14, 2013
durobraham: @poster

Ur cousin is a citizen&thats why he is entitled to a Nigerian passport. Passports don't confer citizenship under our law, birth&registration does..
Being a citizen therefore, he doesn't need a work permit.
He however needs a entry visa for now.

Yeah, I believe I wrote something similar to what you wrote just above your comment. The point is that he doesn't want a Nigerian passport or citizenship. So, in that case, he'd need a work permit. Thanks, anyway.
Re: Can Someone Who Has Dual-nationalitly Apply For A TWP And Avoid Doing NYSC? by durobraham(f): 8:25am On May 16, 2013
yorubaamerican:

Yeah, I believe I wrote something similar to what you wrote just above your comment. The point is that he doesn't want a Nigerian passport or citizenship. So, in that case, he'd need a work permit. Thanks, anyway.

You didn't quite get my point, since ur cousin is born of Nigerian parents he is a citizen therefore does not need a work permit to work in Nigeria.

I don't even think he can even get one, if that's what ure after...
Who will issue work permit to someone with a nigerian name.

He can choose not to get a Nigerian passport&depend on his American passport&therefore have to apply for visa to enter Nigeria, that is possible because passport are just travel documents
Re: Can Someone Who Has Dual-nationalitly Apply For A TWP And Avoid Doing NYSC? by yorubaamerican(m): 10:58am On May 16, 2013
durobraham:

You didn't quite get my point, since ur cousin is born of Nigerian parents he is a citizen therefore does not need a work permit to work in Nigeria.

I don't even think he can even get one, if that's what ure after...
Who will issue work permit to someone with a nigerian name.

He can choose not to get a Nigerian passport&depend on his American passport&therefore have to apply for visa to enter Nigeria, that is possible because passport are just travel documents

I actually did understand you the first time. ...It's just that you're not correct! Having one Nigerian parent doesn't make him Nigerian, and he can get a work permit as the American that he is - I know a few people who have done it this way. Thanks for you help.
Re: Can Someone Who Has Dual-nationalitly Apply For A TWP And Avoid Doing NYSC? by durobraham(f): 7:43pm On May 16, 2013
ogbeni, u dont need a lawyer which i am FYI, Google is ur friend check sec 25 of d 1999 Nigerian constitution, anyone born outside Nigeria who has at least one parent who is a Nigerian citizen is a citizen by birth.
Re: Can Someone Who Has Dual-nationalitly Apply For A TWP And Avoid Doing NYSC? by MSEdLAW(m): 6:28pm On Jun 07, 2013
Closed
Re: Can Someone Who Has Dual-nationalitly Apply For A TWP And Avoid Doing NYSC? by corpROYAL(m): 6:13pm On Jun 10, 2013
durobraham: ogbeni, u dont need a lawyer which i am FYI, Google is ur friend check sec 25 of d 1999 Nigerian constitution, anyone born outside Nigeria who has at least one parent who is a Nigerian citizen is a citizen by birth.

I like your comment.

(1) (Reply)

Aaua Batch B 2017 List / Imo State University Error List / A Story Of A Nasarawa Corper

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.