Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,667 members, 7,816,732 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:01 PM

Did The Month You Were Born In Affect Your Academic Progression? - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Did The Month You Were Born In Affect Your Academic Progression? (1216 Views)

Ufot Ekong Solves 30-Year-Old Math Equation In Japan And Breaks Academic Record / These 11 Guys Were Born With Superpowers. Yes: Real Life Super Heroes Exist / Can Cramming Affect One's Performance After School? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did The Month You Were Born In Affect Your Academic Progression? by Nobody: 9:40am On May 10, 2013
In the UK there are proposals to adjust the GCSE (high school final exam) marking system so pupils born in Autumn months (the beginnning of the academic year) are set higher pass marks than pupils born in the summer months. I am an August baby, and excusing the day-dreaming sessions in class, I have always performed relatively well. But the article below quotes a report that found that even a month's difference can have a negative effect on grades obtained (for the younger pupil).

Do you think this is necessary and fair?? Would you like to see this sort of policy where you live (given the controversy over the JAMB results and such)? Any thoughts please? smiley

Teenagers born earlier in the school year should be set higher pass marks in their GCSEs, experts argue in a paper on Friday.

The Institute for Fiscal Studies, the respected economics thinktank, is calling for pupils in primary and secondary schools to be set seven different pass marks, according to their month of birth.

Pass marks for children born in February and March would stay as they are, but they would be set higher for those born in the autumn and would be lower for those born in the summer.

It follows research that shows summer-born pupils perform less well in exams, are more likely to be diagnosed with mild special needs and have behavioural problems than their autumn-born peers. Even a month age gap between classmates can make a difference, studies show.

The disadvantage summer-born pupils face can have "potentially serious long-term consequences on their lives," the report, When you are born matters: Evidence for England, warns.

"It is plausible that some young people will drop out at the end of compulsory schooling simply because of the month they were born," the researchers say.

Children born in August are 6.4 percentage points less likely to achieve at least five Cs at GCSE, the IFS said. Among those in full-time education at 17, August-born students are 7.2 percentage points more likely to be studying for vocational courses than their autumn-born peers.

They are two percentage points less likely to go to university when they are 18 or 19, one percentage point less likely to go to a leading Russell Group university, such as Oxford and Cambridge and one percentage point less likely to gain a degree. Summer-born pupils also tend to have less confidence in their academic abilities, the report states.

"Our view is that this policy 'accident' should not be allowed to affect negatively those born towards the end of the arbitrarily defined academic year," the researchers say.

"Age-adjusted national achievement test scores are a simple and straightforward way of ensuring those born towards the end of the academic year are not disadvantaged by taking tests at a younger age."

The IFS analysed the test results of 11-year-olds from 2008-09. It found that pupils born in August scored about seven points less than those born in September.

Although the average differences between those born in different months diminish with age and are relatively small by the age of 16, the researchers recommend that age-adjusted measures should still be used to determine whether pupils have the potential to go to university.

Ellen Greaves, research economist at the IFS and one of the authors of the study, said: "Our findings point to a simple solution to the pitfalls of testing children born at the start and end of the academic year at very different ages: age-adjusting the cut-offs required for pupils to achieve particular grades would ensure that no child is prevented from going on to further or higher education simply because of the month in which they were born."

A major study, published in March, showed summer-born children are at a serious disadvantage in the majority of primary schools because teachers divide pupils according to their academic ability. A study of 5,481 children showed summer-born pupils are far more likely to be in the bottom sets.

The researchers found that parents and teachers rate the academic competence of August-born children lower than that of their September-born peers.

Teenagers born in August are more than six percentage points less likely to smoke and eight percentage points less likely to have tried cannabis than their autumn-born classmates.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2013/may/10/autumn-born-teenagers-higher-gcse-pass-marks
Re: Did The Month You Were Born In Affect Your Academic Progression? by Nobody: 10:18am On May 10, 2013
Ok, this sounds more like an hypothesis, it could be just noise given that the data was gathered within 2008-9. Maybe astrology is real after all, and the position of the heavenly bodies at the time of our birth shapes our lives. tongue

I was born in November, and I was awful at school, like clowning and picking on others, my teachers were cheesed off. I was trouble. tongue
Re: Did The Month You Were Born In Affect Your Academic Progression? by Nobody: 10:37am On May 10, 2013
Well I was bron in April nd I'm doin very gud academically same goes for som frnds born in April..so I guess dey might b ryt
Re: Did The Month You Were Born In Affect Your Academic Progression? by Nobody: 1:15pm On May 10, 2013
phoinix: Ok, this sounds more like an hypothesis, it could be just noise given that the data was gathered within 2008-9. Maybe astrology is real after all, and the position of the heavenly bodies at the time of our birth shapes our lives. tongue

I was born in November, and I was awful at school, like clowning and picking on others, my teachers were cheesed off. I was trouble. tongue

Perhaps you had a superiority complex? tongue
Re: Did The Month You Were Born In Affect Your Academic Progression? by Nobody: 1:29pm On May 10, 2013
Vickii Ro: Well I was bron in April nd I'm doin very gud academically same goes for som frnds born in April..so I guess dey might b ryt
And you'd be performing marginally better because you're an April baby... would you welcome this change where u are? tongue
Re: Did The Month You Were Born In Affect Your Academic Progression? by Nobody: 6:41pm On May 11, 2013
Absolute bullsh!t
Re: Did The Month You Were Born In Affect Your Academic Progression? by Nobody: 10:50am On May 13, 2013
adaobi123: Absolute bullsh!t
... and coming to a school near you tongue. I foresee people planning births around this shizzle if the grade-adjustments are implemented or not tongue tongue.
Re: Did The Month You Were Born In Affect Your Academic Progression? by Nobody: 5:52pm On May 13, 2013
Flytefalls:
... and coming to a school near you tongue. I foresee people planning births around this shizzle if the grade-adjustments are implemented or not tongue tongue.

Its not fair angry

Whats the point of it ? Just asking more people to fail, like how they scrapped January Modules for A levels. undecided
Re: Did The Month You Were Born In Affect Your Academic Progression? by Nobody: 6:35pm On May 13, 2013
adaobi123:

Its not fair angry

Whats the point of it ? Just asking more people to fail, like how they scrapped January Modules for A levels. undecided

▲▲▲ this one was definitely born in the middle of July, she looks nerdier than Stephen Hawking tongue undecided
Re: Did The Month You Were Born In Affect Your Academic Progression? by Nobody: 6:39pm On May 13, 2013
phoinix:

▲▲▲ this one was definitely born in the middle of July, she looks nerdier than Stephen Hawking tongue undecided

September undecided
Re: Did The Month You Were Born In Affect Your Academic Progression? by aniiii(f): 6:45pm On May 13, 2013
this is pure bollocks

i know someone the same month as me and the person is rather SLOW and i am SMART smiley
Re: Did The Month You Were Born In Affect Your Academic Progression? by Nobody: 6:49pm On May 13, 2013
adaobi123:

September undecided

huh, pritty and nerdy, like Marie Curie undecided
Re: Did The Month You Were Born In Affect Your Academic Progression? by Nobody: 6:50pm On May 13, 2013
phoinix:

huh, pritty and nerdy, like Marie Curie undecided

I would prefer to be a nerd than to be a dunce undecided
Re: Did The Month You Were Born In Affect Your Academic Progression? by Nobody: 6:52pm On May 13, 2013
aniiii: this is pure bollocks

i know someone the same month as me and the person is rather SLOW and i am SMART smiley

Huh, prove it. tongue
Re: Did The Month You Were Born In Affect Your Academic Progression? by Nobody: 6:54pm On May 13, 2013
adaobi123:

I would prefer to be a nerd than to be a dunce undecided

nerds are cool, I am one, do you play chess?
Re: Did The Month You Were Born In Affect Your Academic Progression? by Nobody: 6:55pm On May 13, 2013
phoinix:

nerds are cool, I am one, do you play chess?

I don't unfortunately, I don't know how to play sad
Re: Did The Month You Were Born In Affect Your Academic Progression? by Nobody: 8:17pm On May 13, 2013
Huh? Nonsense.

Feed that baby with fish from a very tender age, get him a library before the age of 6 and make sure he starts solving quadratic and simultaneous equations from the age 7-8.
I bet you nothing on earth can ever make that child grow to become a dullard. angry
Re: Did The Month You Were Born In Affect Your Academic Progression? by Nobody: 11:39pm On May 13, 2013
hornipipe: Huh? Nonsense.

Feed that baby with fish from a very tender age, get him a library before the age of 6 and make sure he starts solving quadratic and simultaneous equations from the age 7-8.
I bet you nothing on earth can ever make that child grow to become a dullard. angry
Have you patented your math-tactical super-fisherman breeding program yet? undecided grin
Re: Did The Month You Were Born In Affect Your Academic Progression? by Nobody: 11:45pm On May 13, 2013
Flytefalls:
Have you patented your math-tactical super-fisherman breeding program yet? undecided grin
No I haven't grin
When you have kids teach them majorly mathematics from tender age and see them perform excellently in all subjects when they grow up. It works like magic cheesy wink
Re: Did The Month You Were Born In Affect Your Academic Progression? by Nobody: 11:57pm On May 13, 2013
hornipipe: No I haven't grin
When you have kids teach them majorly mathematics from tender age and see them perform excellently in all subjects when they grow up. It works like magic cheesy wink
You cannot solve life, like *poouff*, magic! Present your evidence first, and I shall consider lol. Right about now I'm hippy inclined re parenting; plan to allow any kids to feel the earth for themselves tongue
Re: Did The Month You Were Born In Affect Your Academic Progression? by Nobody: 12:13am On May 14, 2013
Flytefalls:
You cannot solve life, like *poouff*, magic! Present your evidence first, and I shall consider lol. Right about now I'm hippy inclined re parenting; plan to allow any kids to feel the earth for themselves tongue
I never knew life was a subject, what evidence do you need for something that has already been proven, tested and trusted tongue.
What is there to feel on earth after growing up a dullard? grin
Re: Did The Month You Were Born In Affect Your Academic Progression? by Nobody: 1:11am On May 14, 2013
angry angry My kid vs your kid. Around 5 years time... The Olympic committee will design the challenges in conjunction with Mensa, WHO and McDonald's angry
Re: Did The Month You Were Born In Affect Your Academic Progression? by Nobody: 6:20am On May 14, 2013
Flytefalls: angry angry My kid vs your kid. Around 5 years time... The Olympic committee will design the challenges in conjunction with Mensa, WHO and McDonald's angry

McDonald's ? Was that supposed to be an @rse whooping ? tongue I see y@ doing burgers justice growing up, does that account for your good academic performance and ... bulbous backside?! tongue
Re: Did The Month You Were Born In Affect Your Academic Progression? by Nobody: 2:12pm On May 14, 2013
phoinix:

McDonald's ? Was that supposed to be an @rse whooping ? tongue I see y@ doing burgers justice growing up, does that account for your good academic performance and ... bulbous backside?! tongue
Well, I guess it represents how well-grounded/normal our kids may be. What child doesn't know the basic elements of a happy meal tongue. No point being smart with no real friends or normality wink
Re: Did The Month You Were Born In Affect Your Academic Progression? by Nobody: 5:01pm On May 14, 2013
Flytefalls: angry angry My kid vs your kid. Around 5 years time... The Olympic committee will design the challenges in conjunction with Mensa, WHO and McDonald's angry
grin grin are you serious? Eating contest? Athletics? Questions from mensa would be nice.
Btw I don't think I'll be ready for kids in 5 years time though. wink
Re: Did The Month You Were Born In Affect Your Academic Progression? by Nobody: 7:17pm On May 14, 2013
hornipipe: grin grin are you serious? Eating contest? Athletics? Questions from mensa would be nice.
Btw I don't think I'll be ready for kids in 5 years time though. wink
grin grin of course I'm not serious, I'd need a child old enough to be able to calculate so make it 12 years angry
Re: Did The Month You Were Born In Affect Your Academic Progression? by Nobody: 7:23pm On May 14, 2013
Flytefalls:
grin grin of course I'm not serious, I'd need a child old enough to be able to calculate so make it 12 years angry
And how old will your child be in 12years time? tongue
How do we even meet for the contest undecided grin
Re: Did The Month You Were Born In Affect Your Academic Progression? by Nobody: 12:46am On May 16, 2013
hornipipe: And how old will your child be in 12years time? tongue
How do we even meet for the contest undecided grin

ask 190 grin grin grin
Re: Did The Month You Were Born In Affect Your Academic Progression? by Nobody: 11:06am On May 16, 2013
Flytefalls:
ask 190 grin grin grin
that clown? grin cheesy

(1) (Reply)

You Think You Are Smart? / 2015 Scholarship For First Year Medical Students / Final Year Bsc/hnd/ond And Msc Project Topics And Materials In Msc/mba/pgd

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.