Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,756 members, 7,817,090 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:38 AM

Man Comes Back Online After A Year Without The Internet!!! - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Man Comes Back Online After A Year Without The Internet!!! (634 Views)

Frozen Fish Comes Back To Life After Being Defrosted (Video, Pics) / The Pirate Bay Is Back Online After Nearly 2 Months Of Downtime / World’s Ugliest Dog Wins $1000 And A Year’s Supply Of Dog Biscuit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Man Comes Back Online After A Year Without The Internet!!! by bigt2(m): 7:02pm On May 10, 2013
Writer Paul Miller comes back online after a year without the Internet
He was surprised at how isolating it was, but he became a better listener in real life
Miller: "We need to learn how to give each other a break"
(CNN) -- We are using the Internet wrong. Smartphones turn people into horrible listeners. And cat videos aren't as riveting as we think they are.
These are just some of the revelations writer Paul Miller had during a year of self-imposed exile from the Internet.
Miller came back online May 1 after giving up the Internet for a year and documenting his experiences for tech site The Verge. After a nerve-wracking start (including finding 22,000 e-mails in his inbox), Miller is settling comfortably back into the Web's black hole ofinformation and nonstop chatter.
We talked to Miller about what he learned on the other side, what's changed online in the past year, and how his dream of being a cyborg won't involve Google Glass.
What did you imagine going offline was going be like?
I thought it would be a ton of real practical hilarious hijinks. Oh, I couldn't find this place on Google Maps, or I don't have Wikipedia, orI have to send a real letter. I really thought that's what the Internet was to me, mostly those little practical things.
What was the actual experience like?
Existential and introspective. I really learned a lot about myself. I did have a lot of free time, but a lot of it was loneliness and boredom in ways that I hadn't really experienced before.
Early on that was a real inspiration. There were times I would realize my mind was in really cool places, having thought processes that are hard to have when you're on the Internet and the same news and information cycle as everybody else. I read some books I would have never read, and wrote some stuffI would have never written.
I was a little bit out of the loop, in a good way, and I really enjoyed that. But it was really easy to sink in on myself and be withdrawn from people because it was just alittle harder to get a hold of people, a little harder to make plans, and a little easier for me to just hide from the world and stay in myapartment and play video games.
Did you accomplish most of what you set out to do?
I had these goals for this year what I wanted to do. Read X number of books and write a first draft of my novel. This was my chance. I'm never going to have this much free time in my entire life, and so it was really hard at the end of the year to say I didn't do all thosethings.
I'm probably a quarter of the way through the freshman syllabus of St. John's College, a great books program I was copying. And I'm about halfway through the first draft of my novel. I wanted to do some real serious reporting, as well, but it proved really hard to do journalism without the Internet. Not only was it really hard for me, but it was really hard on my editors because they had to pick up the slack.
Did you ever ask people to Google things for you?
No. I'm sure I implied it at some point and got some information from the Internet. I know that happened sometimes. In my personal life I became very content with not knowing things. I was fine with missing out. There were a couple of things that were a little hard, like Felix Baumgartner's jump fromspace. I saw it on CNN but they cut away during the actual jump.
Did your reaction change to people who still had the Internet?
I did become pretty judgmental. I didn't envy them, but the most frustrating thing was people who couldn't quite get out of their phone, or get out of their laptop. And in their opinion they're listening, but I know they're not really because I've experienced what full-on, true interaction is, and it's different than someone glancing back and forth at their phone, or glancing back and forth at their e-mail. So that became really frustrating.
Now that I'm back on the Internet I really want to be the shining example of what it's like to actually pay attention to somebody and put away your devices.
What is the first thing you did when you were back online?
I tweeted "jk" as a follow-up to my " GOODBYE INTERNET!!!!! " tweet. And I watched a video by my sister. She just started working as an art director and set designer, so I got to see her first music video project, which was reallycool.
I just had so much trouble logging in to my different accounts, and then once I got on Facebook I didn't know how to use Facebook. I almost had a panic attack that night. The Internet was real overstimulation, and for the first few days I really had a hard time using it. It just seemed like way too much, and it gave me real anxiety.
Someone on Twitter described me as their 80-year-old grandpa learning how to use the Internet. It was difficult, just technically, for me to use it well. But it was also stressful for me to use it because I had, like, three tabs open and I just didn't know what was going on.

read more : http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/10/tech/web/paul-miller-internet-year/index.html?hpt=te_t1

(1) (Reply)

Students Build 'waste House' From 20,000 Toothbrushes And Other Waste. / The New Robot Printer / Selfies To Replace Passwords.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.