Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,513 members, 7,819,857 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:34 AM

What Can I Do With Command Prompt? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / What Can I Do With Command Prompt? (1659 Views)

Finding Ip Address Of A Website Using Command Prompt Or CMD / Moving Files From Subdirectories To One Directory with command prompt / Command Button On Excel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Can I Do With Command Prompt? by babihouse(m): 2:30pm On May 12, 2013
what can i do with command prompt? how powerful is it? pls drop any material that will aid my learning.
Re: What Can I Do With Command Prompt? by Adrenaline123(m): 3:05pm On May 12, 2013
You can use it to format a device like flash or diskette
Re: What Can I Do With Command Prompt? by babihouse(m): 3:07pm On May 12, 2013
Adrenaline123: You can use it to format a device like flash or diskette

is that all?
Re: What Can I Do With Command Prompt? by Hackomania(m): 7:19pm On May 12, 2013
command prompt is, to me, the most powerful interface you could use to interact with your computer.
Same command line interface is used in linux to execute scripts, and you can run any windows application through the command line. Some commands that run on the GUI (graphical user interface, the thing you use your mouse to control on the screen) even have more parameters if run on command prompt.
To know more (about windows command prompt and shell programming), I suggest you do a little study about Windows PowerShell. Google can help you (if you know how to query it)

Regards.
H
Re: What Can I Do With Command Prompt? by babihouse(m): 10:50pm On May 12, 2013
Hackomania: command prompt is, to me, the most powerful interface you could use to interact with your computer.
Same command line interface is used in linux to execute scripts, and you can run any windows application through the command line. Some commands that run on the GUI (graphical user interface, the thing you use your mouse to control on the screen) even have more parameters if run on command prompt.
To know more (about windows command prompt and shell programming), I suggest you do a little study about Windows PowerShell. Google can help you (if you know how to query it)

Regards.
H
thank u
Re: What Can I Do With Command Prompt? by talk2hb1(m): 10:56pm On May 12, 2013
Everything you can do with your mouse clicking and more can be done at the terminal.
Re: What Can I Do With Command Prompt? by babihouse(m): 10:42am On May 14, 2013
talk2hb1: Everything you can do with your mouse clicking and more can be done at the terminal.

how?
Re: What Can I Do With Command Prompt? by mkwayisi: 11:51pm On May 14, 2013
babihouse: what can i do with command prompt? how powerful is it? pls drop any material that will aid my learning.
Windows command prompt is pretty powerful, and I hope this aids your "learning". Open your command prompt and execute the following command:
echo start dance > dance.bat & dance
Thank me later.

1 Like

Re: What Can I Do With Command Prompt? by lordZOUGA(m): 1:17am On May 15, 2013
mkwayisi:
Windows command prompt is pretty powerful, and I hope this aids your "learning". Open your command prompt and execute the following command:
Thank me later.
I don't like windows Command prompt. Bash on Linux is way cooler.
Re: What Can I Do With Command Prompt? by PrinceNN(m): 3:57am On May 15, 2013
talk2hb1: Everything you can do with your mouse clicking and more can be done at the terminal.
have you tried editing a pic through command prompt? angry
Re: What Can I Do With Command Prompt? by mkwayisi: 6:18am On May 15, 2013
lordZOUGA: I don't like windows Command prompt. Bash on Linux is way cooler.
Hey, sup? Can you expatiate on what makes bash cooler than cmd? If you give too many reasons, I'll step in Powershell wink
Re: What Can I Do With Command Prompt? by lordZOUGA(m): 7:12am On May 15, 2013
₱®ÌИСΞ:

That's cruel man
Re: What Can I Do With Command Prompt? by Nobody: 7:24am On May 15, 2013
Sometimes the CLI is way cooler, for instance writing PHP CLI scripts for Networking stuff, and also PHPUnit and PHP Tools rock well, however cmd is messed up, i prefer the terminal. way awesomer
Re: What Can I Do With Command Prompt? by lordZOUGA(m): 7:45am On May 15, 2013
mkwayisi:
Hey, sup? Can you expatiate on what makes bash cooler than cmd? If you give too many reasons, I'll step in Powershell wink
Alright.
-bash offers a better user experience than windows powershell. You can click a link in bash. I am not sure that can be done in powershell. Bash has more customizable features than Windows. You can change bash's background color, size and startup variables way easier than it can be done in powershell.
-bash has more commands than powershell like the "tar" command that compresses a file, the "grep" for text manipulation and the "nano" command that lets a user create and edit text on the command line.
.-bash offers a better security when executing code on the command line by using "su" or "sudo" to grant super user privileges to an executing code. Powershell let's you do whatever once you launch it as administrator.
I am going to stop here. Too tired to type
Re: What Can I Do With Command Prompt? by lordZOUGA(m): 7:46am On May 15, 2013
₱®ÌИСΞ:

More points for bash. You can edit a pix on the command line using gimp.
Re: What Can I Do With Command Prompt? by PrinceNN(m): 11:37am On May 15, 2013
lordZOUGA:
More points for bash. You can edit a pix on the command line using gimp.
lol you know its not possible....and i don't mean batch editing either

more like real time editing
Re: What Can I Do With Command Prompt? by babihouse(m): 4:05pm On May 18, 2013
mkwayisi:
Thank me later.

thanks but
it is not working
Re: What Can I Do With Command Prompt? by babihouse(m): 4:08pm On May 18, 2013
edit pic with cmd?
how? steps pls
Re: What Can I Do With Command Prompt? by mkwayisi: 10:04pm On May 18, 2013
babihouse: thanks but it is not working
There is no reason why it won't work. It SHOULD work.
Re: What Can I Do With Command Prompt? by malign(m): 6:05am On May 19, 2013
lordZOUGA:
Alright.
-bash offers a better user experience than windows powershell. You can click a link in bash. I am not sure that can be done in powershell. Bash has more customizable features than Windows. You can change bash's background color, size and startup variables way easier than it can be done in powershell.

Clicking links in terminal emulators must be the final frontier in innovation. The terminal opacity, size, and colour has nothing to do with "bash", this is easily one of the most incorrect, and insane statements I've ever seen in my life.

lordZOUGA:
-bash has more commands than powershell like the "tar" command that compresses a file, the "grep" for text manipulation and the "nano" command that lets a user create and edit text on the command line.

I think you need to rediscover what you understand `bash' to be, seeing as you've clearly managed to re-create what it is, in your mind.

Bash has a small set of "commands", all the surrounding mechanisms have next to nothing to do with bash itself, and are a part of GNU's core/bin-utils. So, grep, and tar, and nano have about as much to do with bash as Google Chrome has to do with Windows 8. In your criticisms of Windows, you failed to do some much needed research. Labouring under the assumption that you can't do file compression (see 7zip), or have grep-like behaviour (see findstr /?), or all of the above using things like mingw is one you ought to correct before making ridiculous statements in public.

lordZOUGA:
.-bash offers a better security when executing code on the command line by using "su" or "sudo" to grant super user privileges to an executing code. Powershell let's you do whatever once you launch it as administrator.

Again, `sudo' isn't part of "bash". Your argument against Powershell is flawed.

Also, I wouldn't need to look too hard before finding worrying scenarios where "bash" security is questionable, see things like: http://thejh.net/misc/website-terminal-copy-paste

I really don't know what you base your opinions off of. People seem to create largely invalid opinions of things once they hop on to a bandwagon.

lordZOUGA:
I am going to stop here. Too tired to type

I hope some sleep helps you.
Re: What Can I Do With Command Prompt? by lordZOUGA(m): 7:07am On May 19, 2013
The Bourne again shell is Linux and its functions are tightly integrated with the Linux kernel. the argument was about what the bash does powershell can't do and I can do all those stuffs with bash without installing a thing. Can powershell do all those things I listed? No it can't.

Please if you are interested in arguing about the finer details of Linux commands and SUSE standard revisions, please start another thread and I will join you.
Re: What Can I Do With Command Prompt? by malign(m): 11:50am On May 19, 2013
lordZOUGA: The Bourne again shell is Linux and its functions are tightly integrated with the Linux kernel. the argument was about what the bash does powershell can't do and I can do all those stuffs with bash without installing a thing. Can powershell do all those things I listed? No it can't.

Please if you are interested in arguing about the finer details of Linux commands and SUSE standard revisions, please start another thread and I will join you.

Bash is not "Linux", I don't think I even understand what you mean here. Bash is not "tightly integrated" with the Linux kernel, whatsoever. The incorrectness of what you're saying is beyond my most primitive levels of comprehension, really.

You should look into mingw, before saying incorrect things any further, about the "stuffs" one can do on Windows.

Bin/core-utils are installed, usually merged with the distribution installer. It has absolutely nothing to do with bash, the Linux kernel, God, or the flying spaghetti monster, even.

I'm not interested in arguing the "finer details" with you, you should instead pick up a book and try to learn a little about what you think you understand.

Good luck.

P.S. By "SUSE standard revisions", I think you mean SuS, (the single UNIX specification; and nothing to do with OpenSuSE) which Linux has never been a part of.
Re: What Can I Do With Command Prompt? by mkwayisi: 12:27pm On May 19, 2013
Powershell: I allow users to pipe objects.
Bash: Huh?
Powershell: I mean instead of piping literal strings to other commands, the user can pipe objects too.
Bash: Are you saying the program on the receiving end can receive an actual instance of a class containing members and all... Like OOP stuff?
Powershell: Yes.
Bash: That's so cool!! How do I make something like that too?

2 Likes

Re: What Can I Do With Command Prompt? by lordZOUGA(m): 2:54pm On May 19, 2013
malign:

Bash is not "Linux", I don't think I even understand what you mean here. Bash is not "tightly integrated" with the Linux kernel, whatsoever. The incorrectness of what you're saying is beyond my most primitive levels of comprehension, really.

You should look into mingw, before saying incorrect things any further, about the "stuffs" one can do on Windows.

Bin/core-utils are installed, usually merged with the distribution installer. It has absolutely nothing to do with bash, the Linux kernel, God, or the flying spaghetti monster, even.

I'm not interested in arguing the "finer details" with you, you should instead pick up a book and try to learn a little about what you think you understand.

Good luck.

P.S. By "SUSE standard revisions", I think you mean SuS, (the single UNIX specification; and nothing to do with OpenSuSE) which Linux has never been a part of.
I do not get what your point is. Are you saying bash is not part of Linux? This is a high level discussion. You do not expect me to worry about what happened in a compile level environment. But then every Linux distribution that has bash installed also has all those other utilities installed. yes?. If so, I am not wrong. And I still don't get what your gripe with what I said is.
Re: What Can I Do With Command Prompt? by malign(m): 3:03pm On May 19, 2013
lordZOUGA:
I do not get what your point is. Are you saying bash is not part of Linux? This is a high level discussion. You do not expect me to worry about what happened in a compile level environment. But then every Linux distribution that has bash installed also has all those other utilities installed. yes?. If so, I am not wrong. And I still don't get what your gripe with what I said is.

At the highest levels of discussion, the point would be the same. Bash is not a part of Linux any more than Skype is. Nothing to do with the hosted environment, or platform. Linux distributions also come with Mozilla Firefox, this doesn't make Mozilla Firefox a part of the Linux sub-system either. My gripe is with the fact that you seem to have hopped on a bandwagon, furthering your unsubstantiated claims by saying "can Windows do this, or that, or this? No! Linux can", where it isn't really a Linux issue. Nor was Linux the subject matter of the question at hand.

If for whatever reason, you want bash on Windows, get win-bash or mingw. You aren't comparing terminal emulators, you're comparing operating systems with a baseless argument that holds no water, and doesn't even do much in way of the operating systems you're referring to.
Re: What Can I Do With Command Prompt? by lordZOUGA(m): 3:43pm On May 19, 2013
malign:

At the highest levels of discussion, the point would be the same. Bash is not a part of Linux any more than Skype is. Nothing to do with the hosted environment, or platform. Linux distributions also come with Mozilla Firefox, this doesn't make Mozilla Firefox a part of the Linux sub-system either. My gripe is with the fact that you seem to have hopped on a bandwagon, furthering your unsubstantiated claims by saying "can Windows do this, or that, or this? No! Linux can", where it isn't really a Linux issue. Nor was Linux the subject matter of the question at hand.

If for whatever reason, you want bash on Windows, get win-bash or mingw. You aren't comparing terminal emulators, you're comparing operating systems with a baseless argument that holds no water, and doesn't even do much in way of the operating systems you're referring to.
but all bash can do is done with the help of the operating system. bash was solely designed for linux and to be used with linux only. all those windows port are IMO "bash-like". remember that bash was created by the GNU project as an implementation of the previous existing bourne shell. so the bash was created with those utilities available. I understand that you think I should talk about filename generation, I/O redirection and pipelines but I insist that this is a high level discussion and what I posted was in order.
Re: What Can I Do With Command Prompt? by malign(m): 4:16pm On May 19, 2013
lordZOUGA:
but all bash can do is done with the help of the operating system. bash was solely designed for linux and to be used with linux only. all those windows port are IMO "bash-like". remember that bash was created by the GNU project as an implementation of the previous existing bourne shell. so the bash was created with those utilities available. I understand that you think I should talk about filename generation, I/O redirection and pipelines but I insist that this is a high level discussion and what I posted was in order.

You seem to waffle a lot.

Bash predates Linux by about 10 years. It was created by someone who was part of the FSF/GNU, which provides free and open software. It was later made the default shell on Linux distributions. It wasn't made "for" Linux. It wasn't designed "for" Linux. Please stop saying this.

I'm not sure where you got the idea that I wanted you to talk about pipelining/redirection or filename generation. Perhaps in that book you've decided not to read?

I hope you find a way out of your addled understanding of things, it's fundamental to how you learn, and it'll ripple into everything you do. Otherwise, you'll end up with some very serious comprehension problems that'll affect you for life, by which point it'll be too late.
Re: What Can I Do With Command Prompt? by lordZOUGA(m): 4:36pm On May 19, 2013
malign:

You seem to waffle a lot.

Bash predates Linux by about 10 years. It was created by someone who was part of the FSF/GNU, which provides free and open software. It was later made the default shell on Linux distributions. It wasn't made "for" Linux. It wasn't designed "for" Linux. Please stop saying this.

I'm not sure where you got the idea that I wanted you to talk about pipelining/redirection or filename generation. Perhaps in that book you've decided not to read?

I hope you find a way out of your addled understanding of things, it's fundamental to how you learn, and it'll ripple into everything you do. Otherwise, you'll end up with some very serious comprehension problems that'll affect you for life, by which point it'll be too late.
I am going to stop replying now. you have won this argument oh mighty linux sage.

(1) (Reply)

Can You Solve This? / Check Out My Python-kivy Game Hosted On Github... / Web Assets And Huawei Launches Nigeria’s First National Crime Reporti

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.