Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,835 members, 7,810,211 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:02 AM

Over 200 Pastors Became Atheists In 2012 In America - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Over 200 Pastors Became Atheists In 2012 In America (3014 Views)

The Best Of The Atheists In Nairaland So Far / Why Are There So Many Atheists In Nigeria Nowadays? / Atheists In The House, What Are Your Views On Abortion? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Over 200 Pastors Became Atheists In 2012 In America by ooman(m): 12:10pm On May 13, 2013
In 2012 alone, over 200 pastors and church leaders in America alone became atheists, according to MSNBC.

MSNBC: More than 200 church leaders across the country now say they no longer believe in God, including a Houston-area pastor who was one of the first to publicly announce his decision. Mike Aus, who was pastor at Theophilus church in Katy, made that announcement during an appearance on a Sunday morning show on MSNBC.Up with Chris Hayes" program. "If they did, the whole thing would be in trouble."

Theophilus church members told Local 2 Investigates they were blind-sided by the announcement. They said they had no idea Aus had completely changed his beliefs until they saw him on the program.

"Are you going to preach next Sunday?" host Chris Hayes asked Aus.

"I'm going to go back next week and meet with my leadership and talk about where we go from here," said Aus. "We'll see."

Aus was a long-time Lutheran pastor at churches in the Houston area, but now he said he no longer believes in the message he had been preaching for almost 20 years. Aus declined Local 2's request for an interview. He said his statements on MSNBC explained his loss of faith.

Click here to watch video

According to New York Times (click for full story), Jerry DeWitt, a former church leader shares his story.

New York Times: Late one night in early May 2011, a preacher named Jerry DeWitt was lying in bed in DeRidder, La., when his phone rang. He picked it up and heard an anguished, familiar voice. It was Natosha Davis, a friend and parishioner in a church where DeWitt had preached for more than five years. Her brother had been in a bad motorcycle accident, she said, and he might not survive. DeWitt knew what she wanted: for him to pray for her brother. It was the kind of call he had taken many times during his 25 years in the ministry. But now he found that the words would not come. He comforted her as best he could, but he couldn’t bring himself to invoke God’s help. Sensing her disappointment, he put the phone down and found himself sobbing. He was 41 and had spent almost his entire life in or near DeRidder, a small town in the heart of the Bible Belt. All he had ever wanted was to be a comfort and a support to the people he grew up with, but now a divide stood between him and them. He could no longer hide his disbelief. He walked into the bathroom and stared at himself in the mirror. “I remember thinking, Who on this planet has any idea what I’m going through?” DeWitt told me.

As his wife slept, he fumbled through the darkness for his laptop. After a few quick searches with the terms “pastor” and “atheist,” he discovered that a cottage industry of atheist outreach groups had grown up in the past few years. Within days, he joined an online network called the Clergy Project, created for clerics who no longer believe in God and want to communicate anonymously through a secure Web site.

Terea MacBain, a former Methodist worship and teaching pastor who served in ministry for 20 years tells how she lost her faith and became an atheist..

Terea MacBain: A former Methodist worship and teaching pastor who served in ministry for 20 years before becoming an atheist has been appointed as the American Atheist's public relations director. In an interview with The Christian Post, she revealed that despite initially being ostracized by friends, she is now happy and at peace with her decision.

"No it was very, very gradual. Actually there's not really one single moment where I can look back and say ah, that was the moment. It was kind of a slow progression," Teresa MacBain shared about her loss of faith with CP in a phone interview on Tuesday.

After leaving her ministry earlier this year, MacBain, a Florida resident, also served as executive director of the Clergy Project, which offers support to former clergy members who have lost their faith and become secularists.

"My husband and kids were fine, they knew that things had changed for me, but extended family, I lost those relationships. I lost all of my friendships except for one couple. I have one maybe from the church that I'm still in contact with, but initially they were all just very angry. They locked me out of the church and it took me some months to collect my belongings. It was a very difficult situation," MacBain explained about reaction to her initial announcement.

There were those from the church who tried to reach out and speak to her, but those discussions did not go far.

"One pastor that was a former colleague of mine did reach out immediately and I went and sat down and talked to him. He discussed everything and let me share. It was kind of an intense conversation, but after that I haven't heard from that person anymore. I'm not really sure, I guess he just wanted to find some answers," she said.

Full Story

Thousands of Arabs and Muslims also became atheists in 2012 alone according to the world atheist poll that closed recently.

The Flying Pig be praised as He celebrates this victory over yahweh and alla
Re: Over 200 Pastors Became Atheists In 2012 In America by Nobody: 12:20pm On May 13, 2013
^^^^^
All hail the Flying Pig, Pork so sweet, Mud so nourishing..

You don turn oomad o.. tongue

Btw, it takes nothing away from Christianity. Those pastors were never Christians to begin with.. lol

1 Like

Re: Over 200 Pastors Became Atheists In 2012 In America by bolaino(m): 12:23pm On May 13, 2013
Hahahahaha, ooman, you're one funny crazy nigga, @topic, it's really commendable what these guys did, it took a lot of courage, kudos to them, they are welcome to the fold,

May the blessings of the flying spaghetti monster rest and abide with them forever more.
Re: Over 200 Pastors Became Atheists In 2012 In America by tobechi74: 12:31pm On May 13, 2013
oyea, pastors not priests. Its easier to confuuse pastors . Ppriests are wiserr.
Re: Over 200 Pastors Became Atheists In 2012 In America by bolaino(m): 12:34pm On May 13, 2013
tobechi74: oyea, pastors not priests. Its easier to confuuse pastors . Ppriests are wiserr.
hahahahaha
Re: Over 200 Pastors Became Atheists In 2012 In America by ooman(m): 12:37pm On May 13, 2013
musKeeto: ^^^^^

Btw, it takes nothing away from Christianity. Those pastors were never Christians to begin with.. lol

got ya grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Over 200 Pastors Became Atheists In 2012 In America by AtheistD(m): 12:56pm On May 13, 2013
musKeeto: ^^^^^

Really? So what were they?

The dubious pastors will never stop lining their pockets and hence can never become atheist. The true ones working hard are beginning to see the light cheesy
Re: Over 200 Pastors Became Atheists In 2012 In America by kennyonthrone(m): 2:44pm On May 13, 2013
Uwewu lyk d wia eva pastors,dis a pure case of biz gone bad.....maybe d wia loosin customers,sori members nd as such had 2 reverse 2 dia old selves....we al knw d church is a big biz
Re: Over 200 Pastors Became Atheists In 2012 In America by Nobody: 3:10pm On May 13, 2013
Dancing Azonto

Evangelical atheist!

lololol

It is inevitable in countries where there is a proper education system and fast internet
Re: Over 200 Pastors Became Atheists In 2012 In America by ooman(m): 4:01pm On May 13, 2013
Logicboy03: Dancing Azonto

Evangelical atheist!

lololol

It is inevitable in countries where there is a proper education system and fast internet

It is inevitable in countries where people use their brain
Re: Over 200 Pastors Became Atheists In 2012 In America by Nobody: 4:10pm On May 13, 2013
ooman:

It is inevitable in countries where people use their brain

It is inevitable where there is freedom of speech and tools for research

1 Like

Re: Over 200 Pastors Became Atheists In 2012 In America by AtheistD(m): 4:17pm On May 13, 2013
Logicboy03:

It is inevitable where there is freedom of speech and tools for research

The bane of a religious zealot.

1 Like

Re: Over 200 Pastors Became Atheists In 2012 In America by mazaje(m): 4:34pm On May 13, 2013
Christians will tell you they were never christians in the first place. . .
Re: Over 200 Pastors Became Atheists In 2012 In America by Nobody: 4:36pm On May 13, 2013
mazaje: Christians will tell you they were never christians in the first place. . .

And I always reply that the boko haram that bombed their fellow christians were never real muslims in the first place
Re: Over 200 Pastors Became Atheists In 2012 In America by mazaje(m): 4:49pm On May 13, 2013
Logicboy03:

And I always reply that the boko haram that bombed their fellow christians were never real muslims in the first place

Or all the muslims that left islam and converted to christianity were never muslims in the first place. . .
Re: Over 200 Pastors Became Atheists In 2012 In America by Nobody: 5:44pm On May 13, 2013
mazaje:

Or all the muslims that left islam and converted to christianity were never muslims in the first place. . .
grin grin

#christians debunked
Re: Over 200 Pastors Became Atheists In 2012 In America by nnofaith: 6:58pm On May 13, 2013
cool coolcool
Re: Over 200 Pastors Became Atheists In 2012 In America by Nobody: 7:38pm On May 13, 2013
cool
Re: Over 200 Pastors Became Atheists In 2012 In America by Nobody: 7:45pm On May 13, 2013
Those pastors were never Christians to begin with... grin grin tongue tongue
Re: Over 200 Pastors Became Atheists In 2012 In America by Nobody: 7:52pm On May 13, 2013
striktlymi: Those pastors were never Christians to begin with... grin grin tongue tongue

Striky trollington

Troll harder bro!
Re: Over 200 Pastors Became Atheists In 2012 In America by ezme(m): 7:58pm On May 13, 2013
striktlymi: Those pastors were never Christians to begin with... grin grin tongue tongue

So predictable.
Re: Over 200 Pastors Became Atheists In 2012 In America by Nobody: 8:19pm On May 13, 2013
Logicboy03:

Striky trollington

Troll harder bro!

No strength to troll pappy...
Re: Over 200 Pastors Became Atheists In 2012 In America by Nobody: 8:20pm On May 13, 2013
ezme:

So predictable.

...and what exactly did you predict? undecided
Re: Over 200 Pastors Became Atheists In 2012 In America by ezme(m): 8:47pm On May 13, 2013
striktlymi:

I didn't
Re: Over 200 Pastors Became Atheists In 2012 In America by Nobody: 8:52pm On May 13, 2013
ezme:

I didn't

Oh...
Re: Over 200 Pastors Became Atheists In 2012 In America by ooman(m): 8:06am On May 14, 2013

Even Paul wasn't a Christian, he only preached Jesus...

And Solomon wasn't an Israeli, he only ruled over Israel...

Pastor Chris isn't a Christian, he only pastors a church....

And am not an atheist, I only say there is no god

cheesy
Re: Over 200 Pastors Became Atheists In 2012 In America by Nobody: 8:08am On May 14, 2013
ooman:

Even Paul wasn't a Christian, he only preached Jesus...

And Solomon wasn't an Israeli, he only ruled over Israel...

Pastor Chris isn't a Christian, he only pastors a church....

And am not an atheist, I only say there is no god

cheesy

cool cool cool
Re: Over 200 Pastors Became Atheists In 2012 In America by ooman(m): 8:19am On May 14, 2013
where are the xtians, where them dey? why are they speechless?

the Flying Pig is indeed doing his work of salvation.
Re: Over 200 Pastors Became Atheists In 2012 In America by ooman(m): 11:04am On May 14, 2013
striktlymi:

that you'd say what you said.
Re: Over 200 Pastors Became Atheists In 2012 In America by Nobody: 11:08am On May 14, 2013
ooman:

that you'd say what you said.

...and you don't know why I made that comment?
Re: Over 200 Pastors Became Atheists In 2012 In America by Nobody: 4:29pm On May 14, 2013
CLAP! CLAP!!

So what? So we should hail your piggy god? grin grin grin grin

nonthiests did convert whats the big deal if a pastor converts... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_converts_to_Christianity_from_nontheism

But that is not my interest, this had been foretold so aint surprised....

2 Thess 2:1-4

2 Now we beseech you, brethren, by the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, and by our gathering together unto him,

2 That ye be not soon shaken in mind, or be troubled, neither by spirit, nor by word, nor by letter as from us, as that the day of Christ is at hand.

3 Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;

4 Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.
KJV

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

4 Die In TB Joshua's Church / Does TIME Determine LIFE Or LIFE Determines Time? / Muslim Migrants Threw Christians [Nigerians] Overboard To Their Deaths [CNN]

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.