Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,767 members, 7,817,117 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:21 AM

Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings (186362 Views)

Traditional Yoruba Society: The Truth Behind ‘blood Money’. / Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. / Igbo Names & Their Meanings (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by acube321(m): 9:32pm On May 13, 2013
Ajao means mugu,adio means mr ibu.
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by Nobody: 9:33pm On May 13, 2013
dddaaayyyooo: Ok, thanks to all who gave me d name to a boy with BB, So what of this boy, what will yoruba call him
maybeeee lapilomo or for full lapilomonlolatinu.cheesy grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by EiE1(f): 9:34pm On May 13, 2013
Nope! I surfice to disagree. Inioluwa means HERITAGE OF THE LORD (Omo ni ini oluwa = children are the heritage of the Lord).

Lolaabokoku:
Inioluwa or niniola?
Anyway inioluwa means I have God
Meanwhile niniola means å child that. Brings wealth..

2 Likes

Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by NovusHomo(m): 9:41pm On May 13, 2013
"KOSOKO" or "K'o si oko" : "there is no hoe" is rather a warning or a plea to the potential abiku/ogbanje. It implies that if the abiku decides to die, there will be no hoe to dig a grave. The implication is that it's body will have to be thrown into the forest. Its soul will therefore never find rest. Don't do it kiddo! grin

1 Like

Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by dddaaayyyooo(m): 9:44pm On May 13, 2013
babe_online:
maybeeee lapilomo or for full lapilomonlolatinu.cheesy grin cheesy
⌣»̶·̵̭̌✽‎​Bibilari and Lapilomo, 10/10✽·̵̭̌«̶
⌣»̶·̵̭̌✽‎​ that's good of U. U tried gan Lol✽·̵̭̌«̶
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by Limaoscar: 9:49pm On May 13, 2013
Dis is part of wat makes yoruba lang unique

Ogun-property

Ogun-god of iron

Ogun-long

Oogun-sweat

Ogun-20

Oogun-stab

Oogun-underneath

Ogun-war

Ogun-climb

Yoruba kai..
@Fussbot,
Where are the Ami oke and Ami Isale to help us non-yorubas pronounce/sound these names properly. Once you get the signs please also do something with ooh kay ooh(OKO)
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by segend(m): 9:49pm On May 13, 2013
sanb: Wealth has been mixed together....

Tanx
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by Stlatyv(m): 10:10pm On May 13, 2013
ikole: TOLULOPE--- To God be glory and honour
tolulope is jst d short of toluwalope. Above meanin
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by Fussbot: 10:25pm On May 13, 2013
Limaoscar:
@Fussbot,
Where are the Ami oke and Ami Isale to help us non-yorubas pronounce/sound these names properly. Once you get the signs please also do something with ooh kay ooh(OKO)
lol..I no sabi how I go do am ni naw...bt bro,if u no be yoruba how u con know sae I sps put ami..iwo omo atohun rin wa yi...
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by Nobody: 10:48pm On May 13, 2013
Thank youu

alj harem: Dabiri is a name common to the Eko (part of Lagos), Awori, Ikorodu (an Ijebu people) and perhaps Egun peoples of Yoruba land. The translation of the name can be derived by analyzing the roots:

Da – found/create/started

Ibi – here

Ri - to existence

Bring this location into existence or first settler

Kosoko- Don't dig a grave

Aromire = defeated the river/ became the river's friend

Abebi - we asked for a child/ begged for a child

Abegbe - we asked for a child to lift up the child

Abike - Give birth to the child and care for the child

Abeke- We beg for her to caress her

Abeo - I bring joy

Abiona - Born during a trap

Adesimbo - Nobel birth

Adio - be righteous

Adisa - make this meaning clear

Adunbi - Born to be pleasant

Afiba - By the sea

Aiyetoro - Peace on earth

Ajagbe- He carries off the prize

Ajamu - Fight for what he wants

Ajani - fight for possession

Akanni- Encounter brings possession

Ainkawon - Bravery pacified them

Akono - it is my turn

Alonge - A skinny or tall person

Animashaun - Generous

Aole - Son of a king

Apara/ Akpara - A child that comes and goes

Apata/ Akpata - huge rock or hill

Asinia - stern

Enahoro - Like the sun

Mongo - Famous

Obayana - King warms himself at fire

Ojo - A difficult delivery

Onipede - The consoler will come

Omolara - a child is family

Jumoke - Loved by everybody

Ajao - Praise name

Kayin - celebrated child

Ife - love

Ige - born feet first

Ayomide - my joy has arrived

Amadi - seemed destined to die at birth

Adisa - one who is clear

Abidemi - born during father's absence

Enitan - person of story

Sowande - Wise healer sought me out

Yejida - Image of her mother

Torkwase - Queen
Danku - a short person, mostly used by those in Kogi, Kwara and upper Oyo.

Anike - Given so she may be cared for

Amutorunwa - A child brings from heaven
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by 4chi: 10:51pm On May 13, 2013
dddaaayyyooo: Ok, thanks to all who gave me d name to a boy with BB, So what of this boy, what will yoruba call him

AJANTALA!!

2 Likes

Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by Nobody: 12:08am On May 14, 2013
dddaaayyyooo:
⌣»̶·̵̭̌✽‎​Bibilari and Lapilomo, 10/10✽·̵̭̌«̶
⌣»̶·̵̭̌✽‎​ that's good of U. U tried gan Lol✽·̵̭̌«̶
thanks for giving me a nice grade...I 'preciate.
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by bidexolumanish(m): 12:20am On May 14, 2013
koolet: Pls wat ov obasanjo, omi`epon, sangobunmi, jegede, fadeyi, Abija, Laludè nd co grin
mehn u got me laffin,they should hav naméd u one out of that mention names but omi epon go fit u wella.u nt okay at all.
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by Bofemsky(f): 7:34am On May 14, 2013
bad meat: Denrele~a female child born with moustache,with an axial rod below his abdomen!
Bad meat indeed lol!
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by Bofemsky(f): 7:37am On May 14, 2013
egregous: What Tolulope name means?
It means God is worthy to be praise. This name comes up when something good has recently occured in the family before the birth of a child
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by Bofemsky(f): 7:39am On May 14, 2013
Lolladey: what about 'Inioluwa'
It means God's heritage
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by Nobody: 8:29am On May 14, 2013
Hey moderators, I find this absolutely annoying! Why was i banned from this thread and culture section as a whole?? You guys just killed my fun. I was about writing about oriki when i discovered i've been banned. My post about oruko abiku was also removed and hidden! For what?! Tell me why i was banned and why i wasn't even graced with a simple notification?

@everyone who commented. Thanks for your input and comment. I wish i could've answered your questions yesterday.
undecided
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by Jonwesley(m): 8:43am On May 14, 2013
egregous:
Thank you very much. It's good to know.

Wrong please, TOLULOPE means TO GOD BE THANKSGIVING. It is a short name of TOLUWALOPE. But To GOD BE GLORY is TOLUWALOGO.
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by coolchimex: 9:02am On May 14, 2013
I'm not Yoruba, but i love this! @Op. Well done!
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by slimmoney(m): 12:17pm On May 14, 2013
honey86:
inioluwa means God's property.
confirm!

1 Like

Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by Codedeben: 2:14pm On May 14, 2013
pls who can tell me the meaning of the name OLORIBURUKU and ODE in yoruba. My neighbor normally calls her daughter Oloriburuku and her son Ode. Is d oloriburuku peculiar only to male children and ode to female? What are d circumstances surrounding the birth of someone with this kind of name?
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by Alatise247(m): 3:04pm On May 14, 2013
can someone tell me d meaning of alatise
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by davades(m): 4:28pm On May 14, 2013
nduogu: Pls, what is the meaning of Itunuoluwa.

Itunu - consolation

Oluwa - God

God's consolation
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by Tuminibody: 4:48pm On May 14, 2013
Am an Olugbodi, i had twelve fingers at birth, the extra two were cut off by tying a thin thread on it, the marks are still there.
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by shadrach77: 5:09pm On May 14, 2013
Alatise247: can someone tell me d meaning of alatise

se = do

atishe = doing/ taking action / being active

alatishe = an active, hardworking, creative personality

smiley smiley smiley

1 Like

Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by waledud(m): 6:46pm On May 14, 2013
Lolaabokoku:
Inioluwa or niniola?
Anyway inioluwa means I have God
Meanwhile niniola means å child that. Brings wealth..
Wrong interpretation there..Inioluwa means 'the possession of God' while Niniola means 'to have a thing of wealth'. Dazall
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by Bantino(m): 7:12pm On May 14, 2013
Plz, can someone plz tell me the meaning of Boluwatife
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by egregous: 8:32pm On May 14, 2013
Tuminibody: Am an Olugbodi, i had twelve fingers at birth, the extra two were cut off by tying a thin thread on it, the marks are still there.

Ejilagekuro - 12 cut off
Eejigekuro
Bigekuro - born to cut off
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by Nobody: 8:50pm On May 14, 2013
Fussbot: kongagrin
U no well ooo; ADEBISI can never mean konga!!!

Ade means crown ::::::::::::: wetin be ''BISI'' !!!

Abeg many Yoruba dey bear ADEBISI/OLABISI pls what does it mean ?

What is BISI ?
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by Fussbot: 9:01pm On May 14, 2013
donroxy: U no well ooo; ADEBISI can never mean konga!!!

Ade means crown ::::::::::::: wetin be ''BISI'' !!!

Abeg many Yoruba dey bear ADEBISI/OLABISI pls what does it mean ?

What is BISI ?
bisi--2 reproduce na..smtin added again..- try??
Re: Traditional Yoruba Names And Their Meanings by harlos: 12:09am On May 15, 2013
Alowonle - We have money at homegrin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Beautiful Faces Of Africa / Akan Of Ghana And Cote D'ivoire / If You Can Speak Yoruba, Talk It In Here!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.