Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,815 members, 7,820,876 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 12:14 AM

Angelina Jolie On Why She Had Her Breasts Removed. - Celebrities - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Angelina Jolie On Why She Had Her Breasts Removed. (622 Views)

Cossy Orjiakor's House Built By Flaunting Her Breasts (pic) / Angelina Jolie At The AU Summit / Rita Ora Shows Off Her Breasts In See Through Dress( GRAPHIC IMAGES ) (2) (3) (4)

(1)

Angelina Jolie On Why She Had Her Breasts Removed. by sofadj(m): 7:52am On May 14, 2013
Actress Angelina Jolie revealed in a New York Times op-ed that she quietly underwent a preventive double mastectomy after discovering she carried the BRCA1 gene, which sharply increases a woman’s risk of developing breast cancer and ovarian cancer.

“My chances of developing breast cancer have dropped from 87% to under 5%,” Jolie writes. “I can tell my children that they don’t need to fear they will lose me to breast cancer.”

She says she feels “empowered that I made a strong choice that in no way diminishes my femininity.”

Jolie salutes her partner, Brad Pitt, who she says was with her during her surgeries at the Pink Lotus Breast Center.

“I am fortunate to have a partner, Brad Pitt, who is so loving and supportive,” Jolie writes. “So to anyone who has a wife or girlfriend going through this, know that you are a very important part of the transition.

Jolie says she decided to share the story of her surgeries in the hopes that it will benefit other women at risk. She encourages women to be proactive about their health if they have a family history of breast or ovarian cancer, while acknowledging the cost of gene testing in the U.S. remains an obstacle for many.

“I choose not to keep my story private because there are many women who do not know that they might be living under the shadow of cancer,” Jolie writes.

Jolie’s mother, Marcheline Bertrand, died at age 56 after a nearly decade-long battle with ovarian cancer.

“Culled From USATODAY.COM”

Ileraloro.

Re: Angelina Jolie On Why She Had Her Breasts Removed. by ijebabe: 10:00am On May 14, 2013

(1)

Mi Acquired New Bently Car / Kanye West Celebrated Birthday With Rap Kings / Happy Birthday Prophet T.B Joshua

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.