Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,764 members, 7,809,942 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:35 PM

Suzanne Wenger: Nigeria’s Mystical Priestess - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Suzanne Wenger: Nigeria’s Mystical Priestess (38839 Views)

Watch How A White Woman Embraced The Yoruba Culture And Became A Priestess / One Yr After The Exit Of The Osun Priestess / The White Priestess Of 'black Magic' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Suzanne Wenger: Nigeria’s Mystical Priestess by Nobody: 2:50pm On May 22, 2013
[size=18pt]Amazing! What a woman![/size]
Re: Suzanne Wenger: Nigeria’s Mystical Priestess by mcfynest(m): 2:53pm On May 22, 2013
aw i wish i could talk with chief muraina, he is my mentor even as i do not knw him personally.....long live adunni in d hearts of we d omo odua.
Re: Suzanne Wenger: Nigeria’s Mystical Priestess by Alamen001: 2:54pm On May 22, 2013
Tolexander: Aduni olorisa!

I heard she aided a white when the white wanted to snap the picture of yeye osun at the shrine and the white was knocked into a stone?

Re: Suzanne Wenger: Nigeria’s Mystical Priestess by Nobody: 3:00pm On May 22, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

stop being racist. do we look like slaves here? we are Tribesmen. call us by our tribe or as Africans.
ok. but will it change our suckish history?
Re: Suzanne Wenger: Nigeria’s Mystical Priestess by charleeez(m): 3:06pm On May 22, 2013
so much for folklore....
Re: Suzanne Wenger: Nigeria’s Mystical Priestess by Nobody: 3:07pm On May 22, 2013
9jadelta: ok. but will it change our suckish history?

Bruv, don't lump everyone together. Talk about the su.ckish history of your own people. Yoruba's and tons of other African tribes have a very rich history that can compete with others around the world. undecided

1 Like

Re: Suzanne Wenger: Nigeria’s Mystical Priestess by Nobody: 3:13pm On May 22, 2013
ShyM-X:

Bruv, don't lump everyone together. Talk about the su.ckish history of your own people. Yoruba's and tons of other African tribes have a very rich history that can compete with others around the world. undecided
tell me about that? Are yorubas not part of slave trade? Selling their people for token? The white didnt colonize the yorubas? Where are the gods and the deities in yoruba land? All sold to white masters for christianity and islam that has contributed nothing to the yoruba culture heritage? Are you proud of these things?
Re: Suzanne Wenger: Nigeria’s Mystical Priestess by AbuMikey(m): 3:16pm On May 22, 2013
I heard about her around 2008.....it wz really interesting watching dat documentary dat day sha!!!!
Re: Suzanne Wenger: Nigeria’s Mystical Priestess by shadrach77: 3:19pm On May 22, 2013
is she related to mufu oloosha oko, the famed ibadan based armed robber? grin grin grin
Re: Suzanne Wenger: Nigeria’s Mystical Priestess by Nobody: 3:22pm On May 22, 2013
9jadelta: tell me about that? Are yorubas not part of slave trade? Selling their people for token? The white didnt colonize the yorubas? Where are the gods and the deities in yoruba land? All sold to white masters for christianity and islam that has contributed nothing to the yoruba culture heritage? Are you proud of these things?

And what's the correlation between the crap you listed and Yoruba culture/history/heritage/tradition? Stop asking me dumb questions!

Dude, focus on your ethnic group and leave others to focus on theirs. You don't understand Yoruba consciousness! undecided
Re: Suzanne Wenger: Nigeria’s Mystical Priestess by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:24pm On May 22, 2013

that is not our history. We are descendants of free-men. Amazigh as the Tuareg people say.

We should start considering ourselves as such and input some pride and dignity in ourselves. only then we will be able to crush our enemies and scorners. wink
Re: Suzanne Wenger: Nigeria’s Mystical Priestess by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:27pm On May 22, 2013
9jadelta: tell me about that? Are yorubas not part of slave trade? Selling their people for token? The white didnt colonize the yorubas? Where are the gods and the deities in yoruba land? All sold to white masters for christianity and islam that has contributed nothing to the yoruba culture heritage? Are you proud of these things?

The Yorubas never sold their own people. They sold criminals and POWs from other tribes. THey did not know what would be the status of the slaves once they got into oyinbo hands and how they would be treated. The concept of slavery in Africa was very different from the oyinbo one. Even Arabs treat their slaves better.

You are right though. Todays Yorubas have attempted to sell of everything. but we must not deny that Yorubas are the only tribe here in Nigeria with the greatest Traditionalist population and they have preserved most of the knowledge. This has given them worldwide acclaim.

3 Likes

Re: Suzanne Wenger: Nigeria’s Mystical Priestess by horny4u(f): 3:33pm On May 22, 2013

Ogbeni speak for your family jo....hisssss

I donot agree that saying blacks is being racist either....I am black and beautiful but I also think blacks are most racist to blacks...We must unite again and go back to our roots and appreciate knowledge about the forerunners (Orishas) the benevolent God sent to us.

India got buddha
there is Lao tse and we have Osun etc ( we must gain knowledge so we donot perish)

We are an incredible race the yorubas especially the ijebus

1 Like

Re: Suzanne Wenger: Nigeria’s Mystical Priestess by HAH: 3:37pm On May 22, 2013
I met her in year 2000 while serving in osogbo, most corpers were afraid of her that she is evil as she was the custodian of the shrine, but I was among the few that sat and chatted with her and got interested in her adventures.

Osogbo oroki. Osogbo ile yemoja

1 Like

Re: Suzanne Wenger: Nigeria’s Mystical Priestess by Nobody: 3:42pm On May 22, 2013
horny4u:

Ogbeni speak for your family jo....hisssss

I donot agree that saying blacks is being racist either....I am black and beautiful but I also think blacks are most racist to blacks...We must unite again and go back to our roots and appreciate knowledge about the forerunners (Orishas) the benevolent God sent to us.

India got buddha
there is Lao tse and we have Osun etc ( we must gain knowledge so we donot perish)

We are an incredible race the yorubas especially the ijebus

grin grin grin grin at the bolded... I don't know about that.

Anyway, Orunmila is my favourite orisha. The god of wisdom, knowledge, divination etc..
Re: Suzanne Wenger: Nigeria’s Mystical Priestess by isalegan2: 3:44pm On May 22, 2013

Oyinbos invaded other peoples' lands, stealing, raiding, killing natives with smallpox, dropped bombs on Okinawa and Nagasaki killing untold human lives, conducted the crusades torturing and killing many more people. . . and many other atrocities. But do your White-worshiping arsse call their history "suckish"?

PAGAN 9JA:

. . . we must not deny that Yorubas are the only tribe here in Nigeria with the greatest Traditionalist population and they have preserved most of the knowledge. This has given them worldwide acclaim.

Tell it to them!
Re: Suzanne Wenger: Nigeria’s Mystical Priestess by isalegan2: 3:47pm On May 22, 2013
HAH: I met her in year 2000 while serving in osogbo, most corpers were afraid of her that she is evil as she was the custodian of the shrine, but I was among the few that sat and chatted with her and got interested in her adventures.

You see the devastation colonialism has wrought on some African minds? The same mentality that led to the ALUU killings: "Oh, they are reviving old religions. . cults. . evil. . bad. . .we must stop them."

2 Likes

Re: Suzanne Wenger: Nigeria’s Mystical Priestess by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:49pm On May 22, 2013
ShyM-X:

Anyway, Orunmila is my favourite orisha. The god of wisdom, knowledge, divination etc..

MINE TOO! I am Hausa and I have my own Gods, but on one of my examination day, a Babalawo friend of mine gave me a concotion recipe and he too made the same in his place. Then on the said exam day, we both drank it at the same time. (I was abroad @ that time). Before drinking it , we prayed to Orunmilla over the concoction. And then my exams went very well, even though I had studied the day before.
Re: Suzanne Wenger: Nigeria’s Mystical Priestess by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:50pm On May 22, 2013
HAH: I met her in year 2000 while serving in osogbo, most corpers were afraid of her that she is evil as she was the custodian of the shrine, but I was among the few that sat and chatted with her and got interested in her adventures.

are you serious . . undecided
Re: Suzanne Wenger: Nigeria’s Mystical Priestess by Nobody: 3:52pm On May 22, 2013
This woman was just seriously confused and looking for acceptance wherever she could find it.

I suspect she was one of those white women that loved black deeks.

1 Like

Re: Suzanne Wenger: Nigeria’s Mystical Priestess by bidis: 4:01pm On May 22, 2013
e book on shell ptdf total and others cost 2000naira call 08097038920
Re: Suzanne Wenger: Nigeria’s Mystical Priestess by manyr4luv: 4:04pm On May 22, 2013
wellmax: Priestess Suzanne Wenger abeg which year Arsene Wenger go win trophy, please prophesy.
hahahahahahahaha...lwkmo
Re: Suzanne Wenger: Nigeria’s Mystical Priestess by isalegan2: 4:26pm On May 22, 2013
PAGAN 9JA:

MINE TOO! I am Hausa and I have my own Gods, but on one of my examination day, a Babalawo friend of mine gave me a concotion recipe and he too made the same in his place. Then on the said exam day, we both drank it at the same time. (I was abroad @ that time). Before drinking it , we prayed to Orunmilla over the concoction. And then my exams went very well, even though I had studied the day before.

grin grin grin cheesy

Thought this was going a completely different way. You already studied nau. undecided

I once took a final exam in secondary schl where this boy that liked me from afar classmate of mine decided to give me us the questions. I didn't believe him of course, cos I'd never seen exam questions before, and anyway, he wasn't even taking that course or the exam. There had always been rumour that some assistants in the registrar's office used to sell it to the bad boys, I guess. After we sat the exam and a girl that never liked me found that the exam question was word for word, she wanted to be my best friend. Huh, sorry, I'm not a cheater, it was a surprise to me too. why not go be friends with that boy that gave me the questions - just bypass the middleman go straight to the source! Last year, she sent me a facebook request. I quickly killed facebook. Never liked FB and never liked her. grin
Re: Suzanne Wenger: Nigeria’s Mystical Priestess by Koolking(m): 4:55pm On May 22, 2013
Amazing feat by a White woman. She was a superwoman.
Re: Suzanne Wenger: Nigeria’s Mystical Priestess by chronique(m): 5:09pm On May 22, 2013
@ op: "Yinka Davies Ekundaye" or "Nike Davies Ekundaye"? It's good to be thorough with your job/research so you don't confuse your readers. Or are they both are adopted kids?
Re: Suzanne Wenger: Nigeria’s Mystical Priestess by ajanaku2(m): 5:23pm On May 22, 2013
ShyM-X:

Ogun is mine!...

The Yoruba god of War, Iron and metallic ore!

Ogun lakaiye, Osin imole...Ogun alada meji, Ofi okan sanko, ofi okan yena!

Chief among the divinities.
The day Ogun was descending from Ori-Oke, he was clothed in fire
and wore a garment of blood.
Ogun, the Lord of Ire.
Ogun, the possessor of two machetes: with one he prepares the farm,
and with the other he clears the road.
Ogun, the owner of the house of money
The owner of the house of riches
The owner of the innumerable houses of heaven.
One who’s eye-balls-are-rare (to behold).
Support behind the orphan.
Whichever divinity regards Ogun as of no consequence will
eat his yams with hands (without a knife)
times without number.
If one breaks covenant at all, it must not be with Ogun, the matter is strictly taboo where
Ogun is concerned.
Hard, fierce and terrible by nature.
“Where does one meet him?
One meets him in the place of battle;
One meets him in the place of wrangling;
One meets him in the place where torrents of blood
Fills with longing as a cup of water does the thirsty.

3 Likes

Re: Suzanne Wenger: Nigeria’s Mystical Priestess by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:51pm On May 22, 2013
isale_gan2:

grin grin grin cheesy

Thought this was going a completely different way. You already studied nau. undecided

I once took a final exam in secondary schl where this boy that liked me from afar classmate of mine decided to give me us the questions. I didn't believe him of course, cos I'd never seen exam questions before, and anyway, he wasn't even taking that course or the exam. There had always been rumour that some assistants in the registrar's office used to sell it to the bad boys, I guess. After we sat the exam and a girl that never liked me found that the exam question was word for word, she wanted to be my best friend. Huh, sorry, I'm not a cheater, it was a surprise to me too. why not go be friends with that boy that gave me the questions - just bypass the middleman go straight to the source! Last year, she sent me a facebook request. I quickly killed facebook. Never liked FB and never liked her. grin

hahahahahha. oh and abt my story. i forgot to add a word. It was my final exam and I had studied very little for it.
Re: Suzanne Wenger: Nigeria’s Mystical Priestess by sagytariusTM1: 5:52pm On May 22, 2013
ibrash600: *sighs*... Wen i see dis thread, i tink say @op go say she be Arsene Wenger's wife ARSENAL MANAGER... lmao grin grin
Thank u iyaniwura for the info... More more blessing...
Is Iyaniwura=?
Re: Suzanne Wenger: Nigeria’s Mystical Priestess by Abiyamo: 5:53pm On May 22, 2013
Yes.
sagytarius™:

Is Iyaniwura=?
Re: Suzanne Wenger: Nigeria’s Mystical Priestess by Nobody: 5:56pm On May 22, 2013
WOLE SOYINKA on Adunni Osun:

“Years before Fela Anikulapo was tagged with the media ascription, Susanne Wenger, later to be known as Adunni Olorisa, was the original, quintessential abami eda of the Nigerian art scene, but most particularly of the Yoruba cultural community. Her passage of revelation was quite uncomplicated.

To resort to my favourite summation of her experience: she came, she saw and was conquered. An internal, as yet undefined spiritual quest, too personal for outsiders to understand, had come to fulfilment, and there was no turning back. I glimpsed this phase of illumination at our very first meeting, all the way back in the early sixties.

Thinking of Fela at the time of Susanne’s passing comes to me quite naturally, quite apart from the fact that I did try to induce Fela to visit Osun on a few occasions, confident that he might thereby deepen his affinity to the Yoruba world.

There were quite a few similarities – and contrasts – between her and my cousin, who came to be known even more widely as abami eda.

Both created their own worlds – communalistic in temper, internally regulated, and defended with a passion. Both were ardent promoters of Yoruba culture, although, in Fela’s case, he had a generally permissive cultural amalgam that went by the name ‘African culture’.

There, perhaps, the convergence ends. Susanne’s cultural space was a space of tranquility and meditation that transmitted a unique aura.

She hated showmanship, and was somewhat reproachful of Fela’s treatment of a shared resource, her eyes being always tuned inwards, communing with her private Muse in a secretive zone filled with images, with intimations of godhead, constantly homing in on what would be the guiding passage from her history and cultural antecedents to this world that reached out to her so compulsively.

She found that passage in the depths of Osun, and Osun became not merely her physical, creative retreat, but her spiritual refuge and inspiration.

Let this be clearly stated; Susanne Wenger never attempted nor pretended to be Yoruba. Even in her very last interviews, she took pains to stress this.

She was European, Austrian, yet a being of the universal spirit who found the truths of existence not in Europe, nor Austria, but in a place she had never heard of until brought thither in the most ordinary of circumstances.

Yet she recognized that space at once, intuitively, unquestioning. Austria lost an artist; Oshogbo gained one, a spiritual seeker and guide, community leader – despite herself – and creative mentor all in one.

No community imbued with any cultural pride and self-confidence in its authentic heritage, yet with openness to the offerings of external insights, could ask for more. The symbiotic relationship could proceed, at its own pace, and unfettered.

There is a lesson in this for all of us, viewed conversely. There is nothing strange in Africans, with their wealth of spiritual and cultural resources, seeking or voluntarily embracing spiritual affinities anywhere – from Rome to Mecca, from Jerusalem to Canterbury.

It is when these latter-day convertites assume the mantle of Absolute, Incontrovertible Truths to the extent that they affect to despise other Truths, destroy their icons, mutilate their heritage and embark on orgies of intolerance, even to a homicidal extent, that they declare themselves subhuman, and earn the righteous wrath of other claimants to the altar of spiritual verities.

Susanne Wenger, re-named Adunni Olorisa, mapped out the path of tolerance, of spiritual ecumenism, the choice of being true to oneself yet accommodative of others.

All she demanded, indeed insisted upon, was the sanctity of the spiritual space of her adoptive community. Let the warring dacoits of foreign deities take note, and place a check on their fanaticisms and bigotries. Believe and worship what you will, but let others also believe, and worship in their chosen mode.

What the Africans took to, and continues to thrive within nations such as Brazil, Cuba, Columbia and other Caribbean communities on island and landmass, Adunni-Osun found by accident – or guidance – in its original home, the abode of the orisa.

She dedicated her life to enhancing a preserve that spoke meaningfully to her, enabling a community of creative minds and hands in various genres, protecting, exploring and expressing outwardly the eternal essence of its sacred grove with the reverence of the imaginative spirit.

Such creative devotion does not fail to renew the spiritual dimension that lies at the heart of all religions, by whatever names they are called, and whatever their claims to world status in the directory of religions.

Adunni-Osun is how integrated she surfaces in my recall of her. She conveyed a variety of emotions, lessons, unresolved intimations to many, black, white, or bronze, from within the Nigerian nation space and from far distant lands, not excepting even tourists for whom she had little toleration.

For all however, this irreducible mantra, epitomized by the career of a questing stranger who came, saw, and was conquered:

“Go to the orisa, learn from the orisa, and be wise.”

2 Likes

Re: Suzanne Wenger: Nigeria’s Mystical Priestess by PAGAN9JA(m): 5:58pm On May 22, 2013
ajanaku2:

Ogun is mine!...

The Yoruba god of War, Iron and metallic ore!

Ogun lakaiye, Osin imole...Ogun alada meji, Ofi okan sanko, ofi okan yena!

Chief among the divinities.
The day Ogun was descending from Ori-Oke, he was clothed in fire
and wore a garment of blood.
Ogun, the Lord of Ire.
Ogun, the possessor of two machetes: with one he prepares the farm,
and with the other he clears the road.
Ogun, the owner of the house of money
The owner of the house of riches
The owner of the innumerable houses of heaven.
One who’s eye-balls-are-rare (to behold).
Support behind the orphan.
Whichever divinity regards Ogun as of no consequence will
eat his yams with hands (without a knife)
times without number.
If one breaks covenant at all, it must not be with Ogun, the matter is strictly taboo where
Ogun is concerned.
Hard, fierce and terrible by nature.
“Where does one meet him?
One meets him in the place of battle;
One meets him in the place of wrangling;
One meets him in the place where torrents of blood
Fills with longing as a cup of water does the thirsty.

VERY GOOD!

I like the last 4 lines especially because it sumarizes the essence of Lord Ogun.

Ogun is a Spiritual Force that can therefore be found in anything, any incident, any case involving a fight, war, conflict, etc. It is the Spiritual Force that guides the material actions involving such issues. Even a quarrel between 2 siblings cannot take place without Ogun.

1 Like

Re: Suzanne Wenger: Nigeria’s Mystical Priestess by isalegan2: 7:01pm On May 22, 2013
I remember seeing a documentary about the white woman priestess on Naija TV way back - almost a lifetime ago - and she was already old then. I was surprised to see she is still going strong. Good for her! The gods keeping her. . . (edit - she died in 2009.)

Ajanaku2,
Is Ajanuku sometimes another alias for Ogun? I was doing a quick check to confirm and found this. Interesting:
http://humanessentials..com/2005/09/sentimental-journey-into-my-past.html

I like the oriki of Ogun you posted. I know there are lots more, but here's a short one I pulled from a Yoruba song I transcribed.
Awo ogunkorobiti korobiti
Ogun korobiti korobiti
Meta logun meta nire
Ogun onile wa majaja
Ogun onile ajeje eyan
Ogun olegagbana agegi non mu

My favourite orisa is Sango. I also like Ibeji, and Osun. Olokun one I want to read about a little bit.

Check out Sango's dance moves from :30-1:14

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCv03EolhMQ&feature=endscreen&NR=1

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Sweet Egun Names / The Ema Dance Of The Urhobo People (photos) / Alaafin Of Oyo, Adeyemi And His 7 Wives Step Out Together (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.