Stats: 3,193,960 members, 7,952,864 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 06:06 AM

Where Can One Buy Premium Fuel ( High Octane )? - Car Talk (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Where Can One Buy Premium Fuel ( High Octane )? (25797 Views)

Where Can One Buy A High Performance Oil Filter / . / What Is The Difference Between Premium Wheels And Alloy Wheels (2) (3) (4)

Re: Where Can One Buy Premium Fuel ( High Octane )? by fotodaddy: 8:51am On Jul 03, 2008
nkc:

On d 1st July, i got my thinner from lagos, thanks to FOTODADDY, who procured d exact thinner that has only toluene and xylene.

on getting the thinner, i immediately proceeded to d fuel station, as i had 3/4 tank of fuel, so i filled up, and drove like a granny home,

i got home in d evening, knowing that my tank is 62liters approx 60liters, i proceeded after full research, i poured in 500ml of d thinner into my 2002 Vw Passat 2.8 4motion Glx.

for those who know what additives do to fuel, there will be no noticeable change, when u start, because d fuel in d line has to burn out first and d thinned fuel, come into play, which may take 1mile to 5mile, depending on yur driving skill, to burn out completely and kick in, so i decided to drive spiritedly, for a while and came back home.

In d place where i live , there is a little hilly stretch while driving out, if i drive like a granny, i wont hear any pinging, if i drive like a racer i will hear a ping that disappears in a Second, ( by then d car has retarded timing and power reduced)

so i said that with this thinner, i will know for sure, if it has an effect, so after a while, i entered my Passat , and decided to drive like a racer out of d estate, well all i can say is that God Saved Me, Cos D car disappeared from d hill in a second no pinging, it was just like it had a fresh life in it, i was impressed.

so to this end i will be using 500ml every tank full or as i deem fit

CAVEAT EMPTOR ( please read all d links and do some reading before u venture into this, its not for d faint hearted, so don't call my name if yur car packs up, remember too much toluene, will make your fuel not to burn, enjoy, as for NKC & FOTODADDY, we r good to go ) grin grin grin

Experience is the best teacher. Tolded them!!! grin grin grin

Re: Where Can One Buy Premium Fuel ( High Octane )? by nkc(m): 8:54am On Jul 03, 2008

yes oh, i am very okay, with perfomance, i am going for surgery, i need to add 2 more BALLS, so that i can go 1Liter grin grin grin
Re: Where Can One Buy Premium Fuel ( High Octane )? by TouaregV8(m): 1:33pm On Jul 15, 2008
nkc, just wondering how you are getting on with your paint thinner.
Re: Where Can One Buy Premium Fuel ( High Octane )? by Echeozo(m): 7:20pm On Jul 16, 2008
l
Re: Where Can One Buy Premium Fuel ( High Octane )? by autos4life: 12:09am On Aug 05, 2008
Hey guys,
Got so excited reading this thread i had to join nairaland cos it's right up my alley. Echeozo you are only half right about the RON ratings you see at the pump. It all depends on where you live and the state regulations concerning octane. In Phoenix, Arizona where I lived until a few months ago we had 93 RON at the pump (which we even believed was not high enough; some states have higher) because the ambient temps make the fuel vaporise more easily increasing the possibility of detonation at increased engine speeds but in colder states or at higher elevations those ratings are just fine.
Re: Where Can One Buy Premium Fuel ( High Octane )? by sojioguns(m): 1:31pm On Dec 05, 2008
I have been educated on this issue of octane levels. I recently purchased a Volvo S60 '04 (although yet to arrive). It will be the first European car I would own and I want to be really careful when using it. From their website, the engine requires an octane value of at least 91 percent. @ Touareg V8, as your product will increase our fuel value to 95, is that too high for the Volvo? Please Siena and nkc, I need help as I love the car and I wouldnt want to harm her.
Re: Where Can One Buy Premium Fuel ( High Octane )? by TouaregV8(m): 3:03pm On Dec 05, 2008
Dear Soji,

Nice to hear from you, and I am glad you know that you care about the quality and type of fuel your vehicle needs to avoid potential engine damage and avoidable high maintenance costs.

I have checked, and double checked the manufacturers fuel specification of your Volvo S60 - Without doubt your vehicle has a 70 litre fuel tank and requires premium unleaded petrol to run properly. 

The OCTANE NUMBER requirement for your vehicle will depend on whether you are referring to the USA method of 91 PON or the Rest of the World method of 95 RON.  Don't worry about the differences as 91 PON is the equivalent to 95 RON.  European vehicles manufactured for the USA sometimes refer to both numbers (PON and RON) to help motorists when choosing the appropriate petrol.

Nigeria uses the RON (Research Octane Number) method, therefore, your Volvo requires 95 RON.  BUT there is a problem - Nigeria operates a single petrol grade of 90 RON, hence, the range of fuel related problems littered across Nigeria.

NOW THE GOOD NEWS, you and the rest of Nigerian motorists no longer need to suffer in silence. The best way to achieve a substantial increase in octane for your vehicle is to use an effective and powerful OCTANE BOOSTER.  Such a booster will need to be powerful enough to achieve an increase of at least 5 RON NUMBERS (i.e. from RON 90 to RON 95).

The BEST and MOST POWERFUL consumer-based octane booster in Nigeria is NULON PSO.  It is the only fuel additive guaranteed to boost our local fuel to the level required for your car.  I have taken the liberty of sending further information about NULON PSO to you email address.

In answer to your question, both your Volvo and my Touareg need a minimum of 95 RON unleaded petrol.  Please feel free to contact me on this forum, by email or by phone.  It would be a pleasure to talk to you.

DEMAND THE BEST, DEMAND NULON PSO. GUARANTEED PERFORMANCE FOR YOUR VEHICLE

http://www.moto-supreme.com/pso-leaflet.html

http://www.moto-supreme.com
Re: Where Can One Buy Premium Fuel ( High Octane )? by sojioguns(m): 3:15pm On Dec 05, 2008
Thanks Tourareg. Also got your email. I really hope the extra money would be worth it eventually.
I also did some research and found out that The higher the octane the slower the fuel burns or the more incomplete it burns. High octane fuels are ONLY needed if your car has a high compression ratio (about 10:1) and this applies to cars with turbochargers and superchargers. So if your car is a normally aspirated one (about 95% of most modern cars) you really do not need an octane booster. Well, my car does not fall into that category so I would be in touch with Touareg. But your price go come down small oh.
Good luck to all.
N.B: It is amazing what you can learn from a little research on the internet.
Re: Where Can One Buy Premium Fuel ( High Octane )? by TouaregV8(m): 3:27pm On Dec 05, 2008
Thank you for your reply. Your information is partly accurate. Always adhere to the manufactures recommended petrol specification, regardless of what you read on the internet.

Volvo recommends premium unleaded petrol and not regular petrol, as in Nigeria. And by the way, the compression ratio for your Volvo is 10:3.

It is your choice, but I can guarantee, your car will eventually suffer from Nigeria's low octane petrol. Hopefully, it wont be too late, in terms of cost and damage.

Happy motoring

Re: Where Can One Buy Premium Fuel ( High Octane )? by TouaregV8(m): 3:33pm On Dec 05, 2008
Dear Soji,

I just read your post again, and noted your reference to high octane burning slowly.

Yes you are very correct, high octane fuel does burn slowly - thats the way efficient petrol should burn in the first place. Low octane petrol burns faster and erratically, which can lead to engine damage and will certainly result in very high fuel consumption.

If you stick to Volvo's recommendation, you won't go wrong!!
Re: Where Can One Buy Premium Fuel ( High Octane )? by sojioguns(m): 3:35pm On Dec 05, 2008
@Touareg, Volvo cars have 2 types of turbocharged engines: The low pressure and high twin pressure engines. Cars the carry such badges (1.9T, 2.4T, 2.5T) are all low pressure engines and can be physically distinguished by one large pipe running over the engine block. Other that carry such badges (T5 and T6) are high pressure engines and have 2 smaller pipes running over the engine block.
The T5 an T6 owners are highly recommended to use premium and high octane fuel.
I love the Swedes.

Re: Where Can One Buy Premium Fuel ( High Octane )? by TouaregV8(m): 3:40pm On Dec 05, 2008
Please send me your number by email, if you wish, and I'll call you from the UK.

We really need to talk.
Re: Where Can One Buy Premium Fuel ( High Octane )? by TouaregV8(m): 3:49pm On Dec 05, 2008
Soji,

Please ask yourself, why the Swedes have two petrol grades 95 RON and 98 RON? And why they don't use anything less than 95 RON.  Their vehicles need a minimum octane grade of 95 RON.

The use of the word, PREMIUM, can be misleading and unhelpful.  Concentrate on the octane requirement, not the marketing label of regular, premium or super premium.

Nigeria's petrol is called Premium Motor Spirit (PMS), but it isn't of a premium quality.  Please take note!!
Re: Where Can One Buy Premium Fuel ( High Octane )? by Armorall: 2:32pm On May 05, 2016
Before I select Petrol Stations thinking that some of them sell better fuel because of the octane rating. Thank God I discovered STP OCTANE BOOSTER. You too can try it.

Re: Where Can One Buy Premium Fuel ( High Octane )? by king406(m): 7:41am On Jul 03, 2016
TouaregV8:
Hi nkc,

Thank you for your vehicle details.  Am I right in assuming your Passat is a V6 with 30 Valves.  As you rightly said your vehicle requires premium fuel.

The USA use a slightly different measurement for its fuel, namely, Pump Octane Number (PON).  Most other countries use the Research Octane Number (RON) method.

Premium unleaded fuel in the States is equivalent to RON 95, used in the rest of the world, e.g. Nigeria and Europe.  In short your car needs RON 95 to run effectively and achieve optimum performance.

The Octane Booster I use in my Jeep comes in a 500ml bottle, which treats 60 litres of fuel - Perfect for calculations/measurements for your Passat.

Bearing in mind the relatively low cost of petrol in Nigeria (70 Naira per litre), the question is, how sensitive are you to paying more for better quality fuel?
By my calculations it currently cost you approximately 4,200 Naira to fill up your tank.

In the UK we are currently paying the equivalent of 248 Naira per litre, and it is rising every day! This equates to 14,880 Naira for a 60 litre car.

All the best.
wow! 70 naira per liter in 2008 sad.. 2016 we dey 145 per liter!! Wetin dey do this naija sef angry

Siena, I bet you've added more knowledge on this, I'm in a dilemma here so please help me out if u can. I'm soon getting a new ride, BMW 335i '010 which requires premium gas. I've learnt here that I will need premium gas to get the optimum performance, I really want all of that 300 horses and it being a turbocharged engine I bet I'm gonna need a lot of octane booster. Please how do I go about using this product? Can u suggest a particular brand? I also want to start using the booster for my 06 MB C230 which also requires premium fuel. I've been using the regular fuel sold in Nigeria without doing any research on the required fuel for the MB. Will I have any problems when I start using boosters for it? Also, my brother is on the verge of buying a 012 MB GLK350 which also requires premium fuel. Should he also use the octane booster? I read somewhere that as of 2011 most cars can make use of both regular and premium gas but the engine on that car was introduced in 2006. What's your professional advise?
Re: Where Can One Buy Premium Fuel ( High Octane )? by Shadydre(m): 2:02am On Oct 23, 2017
Hello guys ...still waiting on the update..I have thesame issue with my Infiniti G37 2010..
Re: Where Can One Buy Premium Fuel ( High Octane )? by oneman11(m): 9:02pm On Oct 16, 2018
Thanks op and other crew member for the wonderful knowledge shared. One love
Re: Where Can One Buy Premium Fuel ( High Octane )? by DAVE5(m): 7:53am On Oct 24, 2018
So I was digging around n being nosy and found I might have been feeding my ride with not so quality fuel, my fuel tank lid says premium unleaded fuel required, going through this thread turns out we have mostly been buying not premium fuel of 90 RON as earlier stated by v8, reading this makes me feel scared for my car but I really don’t buy the idea of putting in octane boosters, u know what hapins wen u get high on drugs, wen it’s no longer available u cld go gaga,

Most importantly our kazeems know nothing about these things e.g premium unleaded, regular unleaded and leaded... maybe I’ll open a school to school all our kazeems

Re: Where Can One Buy Premium Fuel ( High Octane )? by HeavenlyBang(m): 2:18am On Jan 21, 2019
nkc:
On d 1st July, i got my thinner from lagos, thanks to FOTODADDY, who procured d exact thinner that has only toluene and xylene.

on getting the thinner, i immediately proceeded to d fuel station, as i had 3/4 tank of fuel, so i filled up, and drove like a granny home,

i got home in d evening, knowing that my tank is 62liters approx 60liters, i proceeded after full research, i poured in 500ml of d thinner into my 2002 Vw Passat 2.8 4motion Glx.

for those who know what additives do to fuel, there will be no noticeable change, when u start, because d fuel in d line has to burn out first and d thinned fuel, come into play, which may take 1mile to 5mile, depending on yur driving skill, to burn out completely and kick in, so i decided to drive spiritedly, for a while and came back home.

In d place where i live , there is a little hilly stretch while driving out, if i drive like a granny, i wont hear any pinging, if i drive like a racer i will hear a ping that disappears in a Second, ( by then d car has retarded timing and power reduced)

so i said that with this thinner, i will know for sure, if it has an effect, so after a while, i entered my Passat , and decided to drive like a racer out of d estate, well all i can say is that God Saved Me, Cos D car disappeared from d hill in a second no pinging, it was just like it had a fresh life in it, i was impressed.

so to this end i will be using 500ml every tank full or as i deem fit

CAVEAT EMPTOR ( please read all d links and do some reading before u venture into this, its not for d faint hearted, so don't call my name if yur car packs up, remember too much toluene, will make your fuel not to burn, enjoy, as for NKC & FOTODADDY, we r good to go ) grin grin grin

10 years after, what are your thoughts on this? From all I've seen, 500ml isn't anywhere near enough to make a noticeable impact on the octane rating of a 60L tank of fuel.
Re: Where Can One Buy Premium Fuel ( High Octane )? by 9icetoo(m): 2:09pm On Jan 21, 2019
fotodaddy:

Experience is the best teacher. Tolded them!!! grin grin grin
What was the name of the thinner you helped nkc purchase? I'd love to know.
Re: Where Can One Buy Premium Fuel ( High Octane )? by harqinhola(m): 12:01pm On Nov 16, 2019
@nkc please we need your review . How has it been with the booster ?

11 Amazing Facts You Didn’t Know About Car's / Photo: Baby, 5 Others Die In Fatal Multiple Accident In Abeokuta / How I Survived An Accident Today (pics)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61