Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,724 members, 7,809,761 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:26 PM

Northern Population Is Around 42 Million -----United Kindom Minister - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Northern Population Is Around 42 Million -----United Kindom Minister (1521 Views)

Buhari To Merge EFCC, ICPC; 42 Ministries Reduced To 19-vanguard / Igbo Nation Is The Oldest Kindom In Africa / Kano State Has The Highest Population In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Northern Population Is Around 42 Million -----United Kindom Minister by LUVTB(m): 4:15pm On May 16, 2013
Before arriving at the decision, the government said it observed that the region is home to 42 million people who still live under the national poverty line - 65% of the total across Nigeria.

The decision of the government to focus much of her assistance to the north was confirmed by the British Government Minister for International Development, Lynne Featherstone who visited Kano State on Wednesday to understand development challenges in Northern Nigeria and to review progress on development projects supported by the UK Department for International Development.

The minister emphasised that the UK was committed to supporting Nigeria as it worked to reduce poverty.

According to information gathered from the UK High Commission in Abuja, the minister noted that the UK welcomed Kano Government’s work to understand the challenges impeding growth and development and the paths to addressing them.

She said, “Northern Nigeria faces enormous development challenges. The region is home to 42 million people living under the national poverty line - 65% of the total across Nigeria. This is why the UK is tripling its assistance to Nigeria - 60% of which is focused on northern Nigeria.

http://www.naijapundit.com/news/uk-to-divert-60-of-development-assistance-for-nigeria-to-north
Re: Northern Population Is Around 42 Million -----United Kindom Minister by Obiagu1(m): 4:24pm On May 16, 2013
The UK knows this because they actually created the formula used to project Northern Nigeria population.
This same formula has always been used by the North that's why Northern States are not discrediting each others population projection.

1 Like

Re: Northern Population Is Around 42 Million -----United Kindom Minister by LUVTB(m): 4:30pm On May 16, 2013
Obiagu1: The UK knows this because they actually created the formula used to project Northern Nigeria population.
This same formula has always been used by the North that's why Northern States are not discrediting each others [color=#990000]population projection.
I wonder because is the same uk that told us in 60's that the northern population is double of the southern part
Re: Northern Population Is Around 42 Million -----United Kindom Minister by Obiagu1(m): 4:37pm On May 16, 2013
LUVTB:
I wonder because is the same uk that told us in 60's that the northern population is double of the southern part

I've done a simple analysis of the figures and I can tell you with 90% certainty that the formula is:
X * 2.0 ±0.2

Where X = Actual population
Re: Northern Population Is Around 42 Million -----United Kindom Minister by donbuchi1(m): 4:40pm On May 16, 2013
LUVTB:

Before arriving at the decision, the government said it observed that the region is home to 42 million people who still live under the national poverty line - 65% of the total across Nigeria.[color=#990000]
Re: Northern Population Is Around 42 Million -----United Kindom Minister by Nobody: 4:43pm On May 16, 2013
Obiagu1:

I've done a simple analysis of the figures and I can tell you with 90% certainty that the formula is:
X * 2.0 ±0.2

Where X = Actual population

2 Likes

Re: Northern Population Is Around 42 Million -----United Kindom Minister by Nobody: 4:46pm On May 16, 2013
I know say north dey countt tombs and ghosts join wen census reach. People wey jadi jadi dey worry how come dem dey multiply like virus??

1 Like

Re: Northern Population Is Around 42 Million -----United Kindom Minister by Xfactoria: 4:56pm On May 16, 2013
Am I missing something? Isn't this piece is talking about the population of poverty stricken people in the north and not the entire population of the north?

A few weeks ago, the UN put Nigeria's poverty population at 70 million and the UK is now saying 42 million of that population are in the north.

2 Likes

Re: Northern Population Is Around 42 Million -----United Kindom Minister by MajeOfficial: 4:59pm On May 16, 2013
Obiagu1: The UK knows this because they actually created the formula used to project Northern Nigeria population.
This same formula has always been used by the North that's why Northern States are not discrediting each others population projection.
^didn't even read the first paragraph
Re: Northern Population Is Around 42 Million -----United Kindom Minister by Eziachi: 5:00pm On May 16, 2013
The region is home to 42 million people who still live under the national poverty line - 65% of the total across Nigeria.
Haba!
This is a simple English any person can understand. The quoted person is not telling you about the population of the north, but rather the population of those in the north living under poverty, a representation of 65% of total poverty level in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Northern Population Is Around 42 Million -----United Kindom Minister by Obiagu1(m): 5:16pm On May 16, 2013
Eziachi: The region is home to 42 million people who still live under the national poverty line - 65% of the total across Nigeria.
Haba!
This is a simple English any person can understand. The quoted person is not telling you about the population of the north, but rather the population of those in the north living under poverty, a representation of 65% of total poverty level in Nigeria.

So it means that only 40% of Nigerians live under the national poverty line?

So every reason he gave to divert 60% of the UK money to the North was based on falsehood.
Re: Northern Population Is Around 42 Million -----United Kindom Minister by Chibest2000(m): 5:23pm On May 16, 2013
X-factoria:
Am I missing something? Isn't this piece is talking about the population of poverty stricken people in the north and not the entire population of the north?

A few weeks ago, the UN put Nigeria's poverty population at 70 million and the UK is now saying 42 million of that population are in the north.
I dont understand, is the 42 the total pop of the north or the number of poor pple in the north, because this report contradicts the 1 from N.E.F that estimated the pop 2 about 90million.
Re: Northern Population Is Around 42 Million -----United Kindom Minister by Nobody: 5:29pm On May 16, 2013
Eziachi: The region is home to 42 million people who still live under the national poverty line - 65% of the total across Nigeria.
Haba!

I couldn't believe that these many people could not understand a simple sentence .
Tua!
Re: Northern Population Is Around 42 Million -----United Kindom Minister by musiwa26: 5:32pm On May 16, 2013
that statement put

the north at about 65 million
Western Niger at abut 90 million
East at about 29 million

184 million
Re: Northern Population Is Around 42 Million -----United Kindom Minister by Obiagu1(m): 5:32pm On May 16, 2013
babyosisi:

I couldn't believe that these many people could not understand a simple sentence .
Tua!

Was simply misread.

It still came close to what I believe Northern population is: 35 - 45 million.
Re: Northern Population Is Around 42 Million -----United Kindom Minister by olubuffett: 6:16pm On May 16, 2013
kai what a f.....up educational system. I cry for nigeria
Re: Northern Population Is Around 42 Million -----United Kindom Minister by omoalaro: 6:45pm On May 16, 2013
X-factoria:

You are not missing anything. All you're reading are the products of our disfunctional education with acute comprehension deficit. Just enjoy it.

1 Like

Re: Northern Population Is Around 42 Million -----United Kindom Minister by kross01(m): 8:45pm On May 16, 2013
our educational system never ceases to impress with 'sound' products.
Re: Northern Population Is Around 42 Million -----United Kindom Minister by tomakint: 8:52pm On May 16, 2013
The topic does not tally with the body of the thread! The British are still at their warped game plan of ceding Nigeria's biggest population to the North, the claim on this thread is a pointer to their subtle statistics; 42 million Northerners impoverished then they would come up later with a total population of over 80 million to the North and expect the rest of us to share the remaining 80 million undecided
Re: Northern Population Is Around 42 Million -----United Kindom Minister by Dainfamous: 10:06pm On May 16, 2013
there is no doubt that the British government has never particularly felt well disposed towards the Igbos. But must they? I believe that they have the right to chose their friends, and that we also have the right to chose ours. I begin to see problems when people begin to see non friends as friends. That's why I was surprised when Ikemba Ojukwu's associates took him to the UK for treatment when he was very ill. I know that he was already too ill,and couldn't decide for himself, but his associates should have known better-who were, and are our friends. Our people take history too lackadaisically, and we keep on repeating mistakes.
Re: Northern Population Is Around 42 Million -----United Kindom Minister by IGBOSON1: 10:27pm On May 16, 2013
X-factoria:

^^^@ The bolded: you're right.....the thread topic is misleading.

Can any northerners in the house try and proffer some explanations as to why poverty is more rife in the north; inspite of the wealthiest individuals coming from there and inspite of the fact that they've held the leadership of this country for much longer than the south? Also, while they're at it, could they also explain why a region/zone like the South East for instance (that ordinarily should be worse off than them) has better performance indicators......and people of the region/zone aren't bitter, angry, bombing everywhere, murdering innocents in cold blood and generally causing havoc for the rest of the country in the name of religion or politics?

1 Like

Re: Northern Population Is Around 42 Million -----United Kindom Minister by dc555: 4:18am On May 17, 2013
What is the UK gaining from Northern Nigeria?
Re: Northern Population Is Around 42 Million -----United Kindom Minister by Dibiachukwu: 5:11am On May 17, 2013
[quote author=sheyie2007][/quote]
This is why I say free education might turn out to be more expensive than regular education.
Re: Northern Population Is Around 42 Million -----United Kindom Minister by maasoap(m): 7:55am On May 17, 2013
I would rather want to believe the UK man meant that 42million people from northern region live below poverty line. Northern Nigeria is like a baby factory that does nothing apart from producing babies. It is not a rocket science. We practise one man one wife down South including the Muslims except few christians and muslims but up North, their sole business is producing babies. North gets population, it is a fact that we have to accept. We cant eat our cake and have it.
Re: Northern Population Is Around 42 Million -----United Kindom Minister by ektbear: 8:10am On May 17, 2013
Looks like reading English is harder for some than it should be.
Re: Northern Population Is Around 42 Million -----United Kindom Minister by Ilaje44(m): 8:16am On May 17, 2013
Dibiachukwu:
This is why I say free education might turn out to be more expensive than regular education.

The majority of the people misinterpreting the article can not be said to have enjoyed FREE EDUCATION. English is a foreign language, and this incident here gives wings to my argument that we should promote our languages. Education and research in the mother tongue is the key to sound knowledge.
Re: Northern Population Is Around 42 Million -----United Kindom Minister by Eziachi: 12:58pm On May 17, 2013
Obiagu1:

So it means that only 40% of Nigerians live under the national poverty line?

So every reason he gave to divert 60% of the UK money to the North was based on falsehood.
Where did you get your figure of 40%? Why not stick to the original story or quote.
Re: Northern Population Is Around 42 Million -----United Kindom Minister by Eziachi: 1:05pm On May 17, 2013
Da infamous: there is no doubt that the British government has never particularly felt well disposed towards the Igbos. But must they? I believe that they have the right to chose their friends, and that we also have the right to chose ours. I begin to see problems when people begin to see non friends as friends. That's why I was surprised when Ikemba Ojukwu's associates took him to the UK for treatment when he was very ill. I know that he was already too ill,and couldn't decide for himself, but his associates should have known better-who were, and are our friends. Our people take history too lackadaisically, and we keep on repeating mistakes.
What exactly is the problem here with some of you?
I don't get it. Must you read ethnicity into every simple issue. What has this got to do wit Igbo Hausa or anybody? Do you want to read that poverty in Igboland is 42 million strong as they said its in the north?
Ojukwu treatment in Britain, what has it got to do with poverty in the north. We are supposed to be the enlightened and educated ones-what the heck is going on? grin grin
Re: Northern Population Is Around 42 Million -----United Kindom Minister by Eziachi: 1:09pm On May 17, 2013
IGBO-SON:

Can any northerners in the house try and proffer some explanations as to why poverty is more rife in the north; inspite of the wealthiest individuals coming from there and inspite of the fact that they've held the leadership of this country for much longer than the south? Also, while they're at it, could they also explain why a region/zone like the South East for instance (that ordinarily should be worse off than them) has better performance indicators......and people of the region/zone aren't bitter, angry, bombing everywhere, murdering innocents in cold blood and generally causing havoc for the rest of the country in the name of religion or politics?
Spot on!
This is exactly what most folk should be talking about and not the British. How many times have I said it in the past that Igbo culture encourages the production of possibly no billionaires, few millionaires but millions of thousandnaires and we want to keep it that way.
Re: Northern Population Is Around 42 Million -----United Kindom Minister by Eziachi: 1:18pm On May 17, 2013
Ilaje44:

The majority of the people misinterpreting the article can not be said to have enjoyed FREE EDUCATION. English is a foreign language, and this incident here gives wings to my argument that we should promote our languages. Education and research in the mother tongue is the key to sound knowledge.
Most schooled Nigerians should understand English more than their native tongues. From nursery to University, from day one English is used 95% of the time, in the south in particular. How many people in Nigeria can read a letter or write one in their native language? How many Igbos. Yorubas, Hausas, Efik, Ijaw etc can count up to a thousand in their native tongue.
How many can make a full sentence without popping in, one or two English phrase or words into it?
I hate when people who claim to be educated like Mrs Jonathan massacres English, then their first line of defence always this nonsense about native tongue.
Re: Northern Population Is Around 42 Million -----United Kindom Minister by hakanai(m): 2:35pm On May 17, 2013
IGBO-SON:

^^^^ greedy selfish leaders.All i can say is useless leaders,not all but alot of them.Even the wealthy are hopelessly useless.If not Argo-industries and solid minerals prospecting companies would have hit a new dimension.Even ICT/education.
Re: Northern Population Is Around 42 Million -----United Kindom Minister by IGBOSON1: 1:41am On May 20, 2013
haka_nai:

^^^^ greedy selfish leaders.All i can say is useless leaders,not all but alot of them.Even the wealthy are hopelessly useless.If not Argo-industries and solid minerals prospecting companies would have hit a new dimension.Even ICT/education.

^^^Thanks for the response Haka_Nai; but we've not particularly fared any better down in the south. I mean....have you seen the type of characters we've voted for in some states down south (i don't wanna mention any specific state)?

We can't say it's laziness, so i think the answer can be found more in the culture, traditions and interpretation of Islam up north.

(1) (Reply)

AWKA BUBBLES. Dr. Patrick Ifeanyi Ubah Rolls Out Gifts Worth 500 Million / Mass Ethnic Cleansing In South Sudan: Do You Want War And Division? Think Again! / I Killed Army Officers, Free My Men And I Will Bring Back Your Girls: Shekau.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.