Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,085 members, 7,821,745 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 05:45 PM

'My Pikin' Syrup Makers Jailed, Company Closed - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 'My Pikin' Syrup Makers Jailed, Company Closed (14491 Views)

Photo Benelin And Codein Syrup Abuse In Northern Nigeria. / Dangers Of Taking Codine Cough Syrup By Mi Abaga / My 'Pikin Syrup' Maker Is Dead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

'My Pikin' Syrup Makers Jailed, Company Closed by apala911: 2:03pm On May 17, 2013
Court Convicts ‘my Pikin’ Killer Syrup Makers, Winds-up Company

A Federal High Court sitting in Lagos, Friday convicted and setenced to seven years imprisonment, two employees of Barewa Pharmaceutical Company Ltd, Adeyemo Abiodun and Ebele Eromosele.

The company and its employees were charged on an amended six-count charged of the production of a killer syrup, “my pikin.”

There was mild drama, midway into the judgment, as one of the convicts suddenly began to collapse.

Trial judge, Justice Okechukwu Okeke in his judgment, convicted the accused on two counts, while he acquitted them of four counts.

The Judge accordingly sentenced the accused to seven years imprisonment each on the offence, while he ordered the company to be compulsorily wound up and its assets forfeited to the Federal Government.

“The prosecution tendered several exhibits in the trial of the accused, but failed to lead evidence that the accused actually produced the adulterated drugs.

“I hereby find the accused not guilty of counts one, two, five and six, dealing with production and adulteration of drugs, while I find them guilty of counts three and four which is conspiracy and sale of the drugs.

“The accused are hereby convicted as charged” the court held.
Shortly after allocutus by defence counsel, the first accused Adeyemo Abiodun, suddenly started shaking and gradually began to collapse.

The judge then summoned the medical doctor in charge of the Federal High Court, who after examining the accused, confirmed he was hypertensive, and his blood pressure, very high.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/05/breaking-news-court-convicts-my-pikin-killer-syrup-makers-wound-up-company/?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter
Re: 'My Pikin' Syrup Makers Jailed, Company Closed by tinuolababy(f): 2:15pm On May 17, 2013
angry cry so sad
Re: 'My Pikin' Syrup Makers Jailed, Company Closed by Obinoscopy(m): 4:36pm On May 17, 2013
Very good. I'm of the opinion that the property confiscated should be sold off and the proceeds given to the family of the children who were killed by the my pikin syrup

1 Like

Re: 'My Pikin' Syrup Makers Jailed, Company Closed by 6direct: 4:39pm On May 17, 2013
but why
Re: 'My Pikin' Syrup Makers Jailed, Company Closed by Obinoscopy(m): 4:41pm On May 17, 2013
6direct: but why
Why what?
Re: 'My Pikin' Syrup Makers Jailed, Company Closed by koligs: 4:42pm On May 17, 2013
Is it not to open anoda company and name it "My Pikin no die"!! grin
Re: 'My Pikin' Syrup Makers Jailed, Company Closed by lonelydora: 4:42pm On May 17, 2013
Why now? They would have bribed the judge. They didn't remember they were in Naija. Well, as it happened to Cecilia Ibru, they should pray "make them barber them the same haircut they barber albert"
Re: 'My Pikin' Syrup Makers Jailed, Company Closed by nekaa(f): 4:45pm On May 17, 2013
This is something they shld have done since...
Re: 'My Pikin' Syrup Makers Jailed, Company Closed by Nobody: 4:46pm On May 17, 2013
Being in Nigeria alone is enough feeling of being in a jail and yet you still go to do things that will put you inside A JAIL IN A JAIL....chai!!! i pity them O! Anythin that will make be go jail for naija, Holy Ghost fire!!!

17 Likes

Re: 'My Pikin' Syrup Makers Jailed, Company Closed by gluv01(f): 4:47pm On May 17, 2013
So that was fake....oh God...Nigeria angry
Re: 'My Pikin' Syrup Makers Jailed, Company Closed by dahmie2013: 4:47pm On May 17, 2013
Thank God, waiting 4 ALUU 4's judgement!
Re: 'My Pikin' Syrup Makers Jailed, Company Closed by ebamma(m): 4:47pm On May 17, 2013
The people who bought and consumed the drugs should also be jailed for their stupidity, u see drug were the name be my pikin u still get mind buy am go take

1 Like

Re: 'My Pikin' Syrup Makers Jailed, Company Closed by nerodenero: 4:49pm On May 17, 2013
Just seven years for conspiracy and sales of killer drugs!!!The same drug that killed many children and left many parents devastated.I wonder how this type of judgment can serve as deterrent to others.

1 Like

Re: 'My Pikin' Syrup Makers Jailed, Company Closed by zolajpower: 4:50pm On May 17, 2013
Obinoscopy: Very good. I'm of the opinion that the property confiscated should be sold off and the proceeds given to the family of the children who were killed by the my pikin syrup
there's no point for that the did done already the dead cant come again. i pray God grant the mothers especially(childs labour) the fortitude to bear the loss. i hope the sentence is lesser than or equal to the iranian who was given a lite sentence for bringing in illegal arms?
Re: 'My Pikin' Syrup Makers Jailed, Company Closed by Peterboy1(m): 4:50pm On May 17, 2013
should have been death sentence for toiling with human lives
Re: 'My Pikin' Syrup Makers Jailed, Company Closed by akinoyawale: 4:53pm On May 17, 2013
miscarriage of justice, are they directors in the company.?
Re: 'My Pikin' Syrup Makers Jailed, Company Closed by 6direct: 4:54pm On May 17, 2013
Well!! MyPikin do card tricks with poker buddies, Thats unfair judgement.!

1 Like

Re: 'My Pikin' Syrup Makers Jailed, Company Closed by gerrardomendes(m): 4:55pm On May 17, 2013
dahmie2013: Thank God, waiting 4 ALUU 4's judgement!
see dis guy o. hu u wan jail for aluu4? doz guyz have long bribed their way out. dnt b suprised to hear dat d case file is missing. long live federal republic of nigeria

1 Like

Re: 'My Pikin' Syrup Makers Jailed, Company Closed by Inik(m): 4:56pm On May 17, 2013
The sentence should have been a lit bit harsher considering the nature of the offence
Re: 'My Pikin' Syrup Makers Jailed, Company Closed by Obinoscopy(m): 4:56pm On May 17, 2013
ebamma: The people who bought and consumed the drugs should also be jailed for their stupidity, u see drug were the name be my pikin u still get mind buy am go take
Your lack of empathy is very sad. This children where given this medicine by their caregivers with the hope of taking care of their teething problems and something else happened: Acute Renal Failure and a resultant death. There was no way the caregivers would have known that My Pikin could kill their child.

If I may ask, whats suspicious about the name My Pikin that made you call the caregivers stupid for buying such medicines. Local Drugs like Alabukun, Yoyo Bitters are very effective despite their local names. Thus I wonder why you'd blame those innocent children who were killed by wicked men whose interest is just to make quick financial gains at the detriment of the children.

May the souls of the children who were killed by the My Pikin Syrup rest in peace, Amen.

7 Likes

Re: 'My Pikin' Syrup Makers Jailed, Company Closed by tommykiwi(m): 4:59pm On May 17, 2013
The court would have given them the drugs to drink. KILLERS like BH
Re: 'My Pikin' Syrup Makers Jailed, Company Closed by Ogbodavies(m): 5:02pm On May 17, 2013
So sad,innocent babies sent to early grave.
Who approved dis 'my pickin' drugs 4 production and retailing.
Re: 'My Pikin' Syrup Makers Jailed, Company Closed by kennyonthrone(m): 5:04pm On May 17, 2013
ebamma: The people who bought and consumed the drugs should also be jailed for their stupidity, u see drug were the name be my pikin u still get mind buy am go take
Ewu gambia

1 Like

Re: 'My Pikin' Syrup Makers Jailed, Company Closed by Nobody: 5:07pm On May 17, 2013
Person do drugs kill children na seven yrs and person who steal phone naten yrs
God help us

1 Like

Re: 'My Pikin' Syrup Makers Jailed, Company Closed by Decapo: 5:09pm On May 17, 2013
ok mo ti gbo
Re: 'My Pikin' Syrup Makers Jailed, Company Closed by FindOut(m): 5:11pm On May 17, 2013
It so happens that the owner of the company is already dead and cannot explain himself any further & possibly answer for his crimes. That said, why are "teething mixtures" even sold to the public? & why the heck are/were mothers buying teething mixtures for their babies? Does a baby need 'mixtures' before teeth can develop? I hope present mothers will learn that its not just anything you see on a chemist's shelf that you buy for your infant simply because you 'think' or 'feel' it will be useful to that child. Drug abuse in general should be avoided by all, but especially so where children are concerned. If you feel anything isn't right with your child, hospital straight! It's better to pay consultation fees just for the doctor to say "there's nothing wrong with him/her" than to spend that same money buying a potential poison for your child.

4 Likes

Re: 'My Pikin' Syrup Makers Jailed, Company Closed by bebe2(f): 5:22pm On May 17, 2013
Ok, who buy medicine wit names like dat? My pikin, hiaaaa

Better to buy gbogbonshey
Re: 'My Pikin' Syrup Makers Jailed, Company Closed by Lilimax(f): 5:22pm On May 17, 2013
ocman: Being in Nigeria alone is enough feeling of being in a jail and yet you still go to do things that will put you inside A JAIL IN A JAIL....chai!!! i pity them O! Anythin that will make be go jail for naija, Holy Ghost fire!!!
grin grin

1 Like

Re: 'My Pikin' Syrup Makers Jailed, Company Closed by wonlasewonimi: 5:27pm On May 17, 2013
If it's not madness, I don't know what it is if your feed your child a medicine called my pikin.
Re: 'My Pikin' Syrup Makers Jailed, Company Closed by Alamen001: 5:27pm On May 17, 2013
Are those guys just employees or partners?

Click Here

(1) (2) (Reply)

Phytoscience Business Opportunity (stem Cell Products) / COVID-19 Response Team In Kwara Transport A Suspected Patient Without PPE / How i lost incredible 10kg With Nigerian Delicacies-part1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.